The recent upgrade from v1.1.16 of SMF to v2.0.2 went smoothly, and quicker than I feared. I am still making detail adjustments to the new themes and settings as required. Please use this thread
for discussing the changes.
WHAT HAS CHANGED?
- There are three themes - the new default which somewhat links to the comic's appearance, one which aims to be similar to the old default, and a standard pale one for those who prefer;
- The logo at the top is a link to the comic, for easy access;
- In your profile you can now set the number of topics and messages per page to your preference (the default remains 50 for both) - of course, this means that remarks about page breaks may fall flat for some people;
- Buddy and Ignore lists: In your profile you can specify users whose messages you do not wish to see; buddies I know less about, but they tie in with some new facilities in the PM system;
- Changes in the PM system, allowing more control over who can PM you, and how PMs are arranged for display;
- You can ignore whole boards (sub-forums);
- The editor input boxes can be resized;
- Alternate WYSIWYG editor; if you click the [A] icon at the right above the smileys, the editor changes to a WYSIWYG one;
- As well as the Tapatalk app for smartphones, the forum now has built-in support for WAP - for what it's worth (click the WAP2 link at the bottom of a page).
I'll add to this as I find or remember things.
Aside from the above, there are internal changes providing new facilities to admins and mods which I have not listed here; some things are built in which had been added as extras before, and there are some changes which should improve server performance. Oh, and the software licence has changed - it's now a BSD-type licence.