THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 17:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About A4 Paper: A Math Comic  (Read 17192 times)

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha

So I was given an assignment in my teaching methods class to answer a question about A4 paper, which went like this:
In the U.S., standard-sized paper is 8.5” by 11”. In Europe, standard-sized paper is called A4 paper, and is not quite the same size as ours.
A0 paper has an area of 1 sq. meter.
A1 paper, A2 paper, A3 and A4 paper are all mathematically similar to A0 paper.
To get A1 paper, you cut A0 paper in half (which way?).
To get A2, you cut A1 in half, and so on.
What are the dimensions of A4 paper?
Is A4 paper similar to our standard paper?

Somehow I decided that it would be a good idea to overachieve the shit out of it, and the following 4-page comic was the result. I hope someone finds it entertaining and, dare I say, edifying?

Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART

I am in awe.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*

Wow, that is rather excellent.
Get off my land

mooface

this is really cute!  it reminds me of a math book for kids that i had when i was little.

Cam

• Larger than most fish

That was superb.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

That's really good. I am also in awe.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

I thought it was ridiculously excellent. You should write math textbooks so kids actually like the subject.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Narr

I was grinning the whole time reading it.  The whole "FIGHT!" thing made me laugh.  Math people should fight more often, I think.  There's always so many ways to solve a problem, after all.

Turtle

I was grinning the whole time reading it.  The whole "FIGHT!" thing made me laugh.  Math people should fight more often, I think.  There's always so many ways to solve a problem, after all.
I actually had a class however many years ago where we would do just that. Not on a regular basis or anything, but occasionally we would have a contest between two or three people to see who could math fastest.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook

I can't believe I hated math as a kid. I wish I had studied it harder.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.

That is pretty neat.  It reminds me of a comic this guy in one of my classes did last year about a Japanese boy who falls asleep while studying English and wakes up in Grammarland (or something) and he meets a group of punctuation mark-styled characters named "The Punktuations".  There's Perry, who only speaks in sentences ending in periods; Mark, who only speaks in short statements ending in exclamation marks ("I'M MARK! LOL!"); Colin, whose statements always include a semicolon at some point; and Quincy, who only asks questions.  It was a really entertaining read.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!

Wow, that’s incredibly well done!  I wish all algebra solutions where that entertaining. 

How long did it take you to decide how you were gonna lay everything out?
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

ruyi

• Beyoncé

This is really fantastic! I am going to link the hell out of this.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha

How long did it take you to decide how you were gonna lay everything out?

I actually just sorta made it up as I went along. That's why it ends kind of abruptly; I didn't want to use a fifth page. :P

Unfortunately I am student teaching right now and I am basically working from before dawn until after dusk most days. So I will certainly not have time to produce anything like this again in the near future.

The comments have been awesome. I'm glad you all liked it.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up