THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 17:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 471239 times)

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #2050 on: 10 Aug 2014, 17:01 »

I managed it okay! But then totally ran out of time to assemble the trifle so I just have a big bowl of vanilla custard in my fridge. The whipping cream is still un-whipped, the berries got sliced and taken to a family lunch, as was the pound cake which was untouched and got left behind.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2051 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:01 »

This is injera. I wish I knew how to make it
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2052 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:02 »

I've had that before, at an Ethiopian restaurant in OKC. It's really good. I don't know how to make it, though.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2053 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:09 »

The heck is it?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2054 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:11 »

It's a type of sourdough-like bread made from a grain called teff: Injera
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #2055 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:24 »

Ohhhh, that sounds delightful. I am obsessed with sourdough bread and the texture of that one looks so interesting!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2056 on: 13 Aug 2014, 08:26 »

It kind of looks like a crepe and a crumpet had a baby. Sounds delightful.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2057 on: 13 Aug 2014, 09:27 »

So I made avocado "fries" (Think breaded avocados) last night. Which to some may sound disgusting, but I absolutely love avocados.

I made a breadcrumb mixture with crumbs, chili powder, cumin, some salt, and a lot of cracked pepper. I cut up two small avocados,dipped them in egg and then rolled them in the breadcumb coating. Then I baked them for 10 minutes at 350.

They were delicious, my only regret is that I had no chipotle ranch for dipping.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2058 on: 13 Aug 2014, 10:44 »

I think I've had injera - I'm pretty sure I ate at an Ethiopian restaurant when on holiday in Amsterdam, but I was in a fever-induced haze (not drug-induced; I had a bad viral infection) so don't remember many details!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2059 on: 14 Aug 2014, 13:12 »

Double post for delicious food news!

My friend Robyn is visiting again and we ordered Chinese takeaway because we were feeling lazy, but then launched into a massive dessert-cooking project and currently have in the oven what was meant to be rhubarb and apple crumble, but for some reason the crumble topping wouldn't crumble so it's more like rhubarb and apple Eve's pudding. It's weird but smells delicious. Tomorrow we'll make pizza and vegan custard creams.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2060 on: 14 Aug 2014, 20:12 »

Eve's Pudding?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2061 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:21 »

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #2062 on: 15 Aug 2014, 02:39 »

Eve's pudding is pretty awesome. Often overlooked on menu's in favour of glitzier desserts. If you frequent a place that puts this up, take the plunge. Also needs custard.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #2063 on: 17 Aug 2014, 01:55 »

I've always felt guilty for not posting in this thread, so here are some random pics of stuff at work.

And for good measure, me doing "jerk" chicken at home like a mad person.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2064 on: 17 Aug 2014, 22:28 »

Lasagna

8 lasagna noodles broken up
2 tsp cooking oil (optional)
2 tsp salt

1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef

3/4 cups chopped onion
2 14 oz cans of tomatoes with juice broken up (I use the diced ones)
5 1/2 oz can of tomato paste
1 cup of cottage cheese (or ricotta)
2 cups of grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (optional)
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic
1/4 tsp sweet basil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp fennel seed (optional)

Cook lasagna noodle pieces in boiling water, oil and salt until tender but firm, 14-16 mins, drain.

Scramble fry ground beef, drain and put in slow cooker

Add remaining 12 ingredients, then add noodles and stir. cook on low 7-9 hours or high 3 1/2-4 1/2 hours

makes 10 cups

I added the fennel seed to the recipe, which adds some more flavour. As well, I substitute ricotta for the cottage cheese. The Parmesan cheese is also an addition of my own.

They say the best results for cheese in slow cooker if you add the cheese for the last hour of cooking

Stoon

« Reply #2065 on: 17 Aug 2014, 22:32 »

This is my favourite beef stew recipe. It tastes, and smells wonderful, and it is easy to make.

Beef Stew

2 lbs stew meat (no need to brown)
    1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
    1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1 cup red wine

1. Put all in oven proof casserole.
    2. Cover and cook 2 hours at 350 degrees F.
    3. Add vegetables of choice and cook 1 hour more.

http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-stew-28956

I put in potato, mushrooms, peas, carrots, onions, and corn. But as recipe says, you can add any veggies you like.

Papersatan

« Reply #2066 on: 18 Aug 2014, 19:11 »

Today we wanted to make a cake, so we Wikipediaed a reason.  Happy Birthday (and anniversary of the discovery of your disappearance) Virginia Dare!

I'm capable of doing  a much better job, but we were hungry, and I didn't think a dead 3 year old was going to be very picky.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Stoon

« Reply #2067 on: 19 Aug 2014, 13:25 »

Beef Noodle Skillet

1 tsp. Cooking oil
1 lb. Lean ground beef
1 tsp. Seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper

14 oz. Can of diced tomatoes (with juice)
12 oz. Can of vegetable juice (such as V8 juice)
1 cup Water

2 2/3 cups Penne (or other tube) pasta (about 8 oz.)
1 cup Frozen mixed vegetables, thawed

1 cup Sour cream
1/4 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp. Chopped green onion

Heat cooking oil in large frying pan on medium-high. Add ground beef, seasoned salt and pepper. Scramble-fry for 5 to 10 minutes, until beef is no longer pink. Drain.

Add next 3 ingredients. Stir.

Add pasta and vegetables. Stir well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cover. Simmer for about 18 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender but firm.

Add remaining 3 ingredients. Heat and stir for about 1 minute until heated through.

Serves 4.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2068 on: 20 Aug 2014, 04:36 »

This "make a cake for someone's birthday" idea is fabulous. I foresee a lot of birthday cake in my future.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #2069 on: 22 Aug 2014, 10:56 »

MrBlu to please share moar!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2070 on: 31 Aug 2014, 22:06 »

Four bean bacon stew: It's got booze in it.

Full list of content:
Maple bacon baked beans
Pinto beans
Black peans
Kidney beans
Celery
Potato
Mushrooms
Bacon
Some pre cooked skirt steak.
Some maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, sea salt, tapatio (going heavier on that next time) and a dash of garlic powder.
2 shots rum
1 shot Amaretto

Vegetarian friendly in the sense that multiple vegetarians were used to make it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2071 on: 03 Sep 2014, 13:23 »

I've decided to have a belated flat-warming party next month, and am slowly planning what things to cook for it. I will probably make guacamole and buy tortilla chips and salsa (too lazy to make my own salsa; commercial guac usually has dairy in it so no use for me). I've also decided on a lemony quinoa salad with olives and a potato salad with home-made vegan mayonnaise, and depending on the number of people coming I'll either make black bean and bulgur wheat mushroom burgers, or a huge vat of pasta of some variety. Maybe both!

I've not thought about desserts yet, but almost certainly I'll do some banana-based ice creams and probably bake some cookies. One of the guests is gluten free and everything will be vegan by default, so that will make things interesting!

Having learnt from experience I will be test-running the new recipes, especially the mayonnaise since there are lots of different options and I love love love potato salad :D And I love love love planning occasional parties!

Aimless

« Reply #2072 on: 03 Sep 2014, 13:32 »

Aimless

« Reply #2073 on: 03 Sep 2014, 13:34 »

If making bean burgers might wanna check out the version where you bake/dry done of the beans in the oven for a better texture :) my fave kind anyway

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2074 on: 03 Sep 2014, 13:37 »

Sounds interesting, I've not heard of this - I have made these burgers before and they're delicious, but do have a tendency to crumble so anything that might help with that is warmly received!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2075 on: 16 Sep 2014, 15:08 »

White and milk chocolate Rice Krispie buns! (with marshmallows) The plan was for them all to be mixed but I didn't have an even amount of chocolate plus I kept eating the mix.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2022, 13:06 by Welu »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2076 on: 18 Sep 2014, 08:08 »

It's called quality control and is a very important part of baking ;)

Aimless

« Reply #2077 on: 26 Sep 2014, 02:22 »

Toss coconut-cream (or -milk), spices (I used a ready-made kerala-style spice blend, a roughly chopped red chili, two sticks of cinnamon and a couple of bay-leaves) and roasted onions into a cooking-vessel of your choice, mix it all together, add chicken-thighs and quartered green onions, on with the lid, heat it up and then let it cook on medium-to-low heat until delicious. Less than 2 mins to prep and it's one of the tastiest curries I've ever "made". Can of course be varied in many ways to suit different tastes and schedules :o

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2078 on: 26 Sep 2014, 04:39 »

I made brownies this morning, one of the students I worked with is moving back to Italy on Monday so we're having a movie night for her tonight (and they're just ordinary brownies before anyone asks).

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2079 on: 26 Sep 2014, 04:40 »

I seriously read that as "bronies", and that had me confused.  :psyduck:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2080 on: 26 Sep 2014, 04:58 »

I seriously read that as "bronies", and that had me confused.  :psyduck:

Oh hell no.
They take way too long to cook and the lies they tell themselves just makes them far to chewy.
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014, 16:56 by TheEvilDog »

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #2081 on: 27 Sep 2014, 10:56 »

They take way to lie to cook and the lies they tell themselves just makes them far to chewy.

I did a double take at that, but I think I understand what you were really trying to say.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2082 on: 27 Sep 2014, 16:59 »

Noted and fixed. Did not help I was typing on my phone.

Also made a stuffed pork steak this evening, filled with mozzarella and pesto. Quite nice..

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #2083 on: 27 Sep 2014, 22:42 »

Question: with the weather getting colder, I'm getting back into the swing of actually cooking stuff. I do a lot of soups, but I've never done a legitimate stew. Reason being, I always screw up the roux. I refuse to just dump flour in and let it cook by simmering (doesn't taste the same), and I'd rather not use cornstarch (again, taste) or arrowroot (works, doesn't really leave an aftertaste, but makes everything look weirdly shiny) as thickeners. Can anyone suggest an alternative thickener?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Papersatan

« Reply #2084 on: 27 Sep 2014, 23:45 »

Tapioca? It's also not as good as flour imo. What abt the roux gives you trouble?

It's fall so I made roasted root veggies today: potatoes, onion, carrots, parsnip, fennel, and a leek I had left over.  I threw some chicken/apple sausage in.  So good!
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Aimless

« Reply #2085 on: 28 Sep 2014, 00:39 »

"start low, go slow" works for roux as well :o low heat, thick bottomed pan. There's also hydrated flour that basically never gets lumpy. Alton Brown showed, on Good Eats, how to make roux in the oven, very easy and clean. I don't think there are good substitutes for roux when it comes to flavor tbh. Use cuts with lots of collagen, braise the meat at a low temp (wrapped in foil in the oven for example) and let the stew rest overnight after it's  done

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #2086 on: 28 Sep 2014, 08:16 »

"start low, go slow" works for roux as well :o low heat, thick bottomed pan. There's also hydrated flour that basically never gets lumpy. Alton Brown showed, on Good Eats, how to make roux in the oven, very easy and clean. I don't think there are good substitutes for roux when it comes to flavor tbh. Use cuts with lots of collagen, braise the meat at a low temp (wrapped in foil in the oven for example) and let the stew rest overnight after it's  done

Papersatan: What gives me trouble is the gas range. Growing up, I had electric, which is a heck of a lot easier. My gas range seems to have only three settings: low, medium-ish, and towering inferno. Either of the first two just leave the roux uncooked, and the third browns it to a point where it's unusable. I never have that problem on an electric, but that's not what I've got. Those roasted veggies sound good, by the way, especially with the chicken/apple sausage (and if you haven't tried that chicken/apple sausage in an omelette -- along with some onions and Swiss -- go for it).

Aimless: agreed, there is no substitute. Besides, it limits what I can do for sauces and gravies. It's a bit frustrating knowing what you need to do to get something right and yet managing to screw it up every last time. I'll have to look for the Alton Brown tutorial.

Thanks, both of you, for the tips.

Aimless

« Reply #2087 on: 28 Sep 2014, 09:22 »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2088 on: 28 Sep 2014, 09:31 »

If you are making a roux, take the melted butter off the heat when you're adding the flour. The butter is going to be hot enough that you can add the flour and mix it together.

Also, be mindful of what type of roux you're making, as this can affect the thickening effect and the taste of the dish. A white roux really doesn't add much flavour to a dish, but it is the best for thickening the dish. Conversely, a dark or black roux do not have as much thickening power, only about a quarter that of white roux. Then you have a blond roux (also know as peanut butter colour), which adds a distinctly nutty flavour to the dish.

If you still want to look for alternatives, you can try Potato starch - it's tasteless and gluten-free. It works well in stews, soups and sauces. One caveat though, while it can withstand high temperatures, don't use it in dishes that require boiling.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #2089 on: 28 Sep 2014, 11:08 »

If you are making a roux, take the melted butter off the heat when you're adding the flour. The butter is going to be hot enough that you can add the flour and mix it together.

Also, be mindful of what type of roux you're making, as this can affect the thickening effect and the taste of the dish. A white roux really doesn't add much flavour to a dish, but it is the best for thickening the dish. Conversely, a dark or black roux do not have as much thickening power, only about a quarter that of white roux. Then you have a blond roux (also know as peanut butter colour), which adds a distinctly nutty flavour to the dish.

If you still want to look for alternatives, you can try Potato starch - it's tasteless and gluten-free. It works well in stews, soups and sauces. One caveat though, while it can withstand high temperatures, don't use it in dishes that require boiling.

I think I'm going to try the oven variant first (thanks, Aimless!). TheEvilDog, I've used white for cream and cheese sauces, and I typically go on the lighter side of blonde-ish for gravy. I've even debated getting either an electric hot plate or one of those portable induction thingies, partly for roux, but partly also for times when I could use a fifth burner...

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2090 on: 05 Oct 2014, 12:10 »

Potatoes

Very tasty as well. Floury so ideal for making lovely purple mash.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2091 on: 06 Oct 2014, 00:18 »

The fuck?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2092 on: 06 Oct 2014, 00:23 »

Purple potatoes. Carrots used to be purple too.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2093 on: 06 Oct 2014, 00:56 »

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2094 on: 06 Oct 2014, 04:09 »

Now imagine how awesome that would be in a lovely purple potato.

There's some great purple foods out there. Potatoes, carrots, broccoli, corn, tomatoes, apples, cabbage, lettuce, even some jerusalem artichokes can come with some purple varigation.

One of the reasons I get excited about these foods is that they were once fairly common in our markets. Keeping these varieties going not only gives us some differences to put on our plate but also supports biodiversity. As far as the UK is concerned, we suffered some pretty serious loss of varieties during the war eras and that has been compounded by the march of homogenisation driven by supermarkets. Take for instance the humble pig. At one point we were home to nearly forty breeds of pig, each with their own characteristics and favouring different environments and farming styles. Government directives during the second world war, as well intentioned as they may have been, practically wiped out all but three.

As a result of all thise we've lost a lot of our heritage, exposed ourselves to a higher vulnerability of agricultural disease and made our food more boring. The main breed of pig to come out of the war era changes was the Landrace, favoured for speed of growth and temperament rather than flavour. Alas the flavour is pretty bland in comparison to a lot of the lost breeds. Post war efforts to bring back alternative and rare breeds have faltered until recently.

So there you have it. Biodiversity is tasty, fun and good for the environment. Do your bit and eat something a bit funny looking this week.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #2095 on: 06 Oct 2014, 07:06 »

Yeah, our CSA regularly gives orange, yellow and purple carrots, as well as a variety of heirloom tomatoes.  There's also a farm we've used once or twice that has heritage pork.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2096 on: 06 Oct 2014, 17:27 »

Do you like cheese sticks? Do you want to get them for cheap and slightly healthier?

Go to the store and acquire cheese. String cheese if you're lazy. Decent mozzarella otherwise. You want blocks.
Acquire premade wonton wrappers (it's like $3 for a brick of the damn things here)
Fry lightly in a pan with olive oil, garlic and Italian seasonings.

Consume.

Boom.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #2097 on: 07 Oct 2014, 08:19 »

Made some the other day with some left over spelt pastry and some Parmesan and some Yarg. Worked pretty well. Did do quite a bit of pastry folding but Jake Bugg was on the radio and he's awesome cookery tunage.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #2098 on: 09 Oct 2014, 09:25 »

Partially copied over form the daily threads. Partially because I am lazy and I get a headache every time I look at how many more pages get added.

On the topic of french toast.
I prefer to make my own using thick sliced butterzopf soaked in well beaten egg with just a drop of vanilla.
Then on medium heat in a covered pan so it steams and puffs up a bit as it cooks with a flip and brown to finish the other side.
Then comes the Real Maple syrup or Marmalade or powdered sugar and cinnamon [yek-sis likes it].

I have used the "toast lightly" trick if the bread is too fresh and moist as well.
My sis reminded me about the Kaiser Roll version since a horizontally sliced bun results in two disks that perfectly fit the egg pan resulting in the french toast version of an Egg Muffin or Everyone's favourite coffee shop "Breakfast Sandwich" - yay for still being able to get Tim Horton's  Maple English Muffin, no cheese but more bacon instead. Yeah, it is a challenge to order most of the time since they run out of those muffins fast and customizing an order confuses a majority of the drones working the cash.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2099 on: 10 Oct 2014, 18:27 »

Deep Fried Booze:
Step 1: Make or buy angel food cake
Step 2: Soak in booze. Especially tequila!
Step 3: Deep fry in oil
Step 4: Serve with powdered sugar, a light runny frosting, ice cream, whatever.
Step 5: Get drunk on desert
Step 6: ????
Step 7: Profit
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 47   Go Up