THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How about a Sewing Thread?  (Read 29339 times)

St.Germain

• Balloon animal serial killer
How about a Sewing Thread?
« on: 21 Dec 2008, 22:54 »

Well, we've got a knitting thread, and all the threads relating to sewing are old and disused. So I say, let us start anew!

First, some guidelines:
1. Pictures are loved, just don't make them too big, or too many at a time.
2. The 'subject' can be either hand- or machine-sewn. We don't discriminate here.
3. Try to stay somewhat on topic.
4. Requests for help/guidance/'where can I find a pattern for...' are perfectly allowed.
5. You, the poster, had to at least have a hand in making whatever you're posting. Even if, say, you made the pattern, and someone else made the item. As long as you were involved.

All right then, the thing to do would be to start off with an example, but sadly I don't have any pictures yet. Eventually, I'll have two pairs of gloves/armwarmers and a coat to show off. I'll post them when I have them.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
Re: How about a Sewing Thread?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2008, 03:16 »

Absolutely not. This is a terrible idea.

That aside I've been thinking of finding a small sewing kit so I can put patches on stuff that needs patching. Jackets, pants and the sort, but I am terrible at sewing.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2008, 10:19 »

Damnit, this is why I need to not post when I'm close to being off work. I meant to add "just kidding, it's a great idea."

I have failed in my attempt at whatever it was I was trying.

I also may need to learn how to make a face mask for sinister reasons.

St.Germain

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2008, 16:50 »

Oh my god, coat!

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4 on: 31 Dec 2008, 02:24 »

Quit crossposting to pad your count :x

Honestly though, I'd really love to see a closer picture of that coat. Maybe with some internals as well. its kinda hard to figure out what is going on with it when its all on you and stuff.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #5 on: 31 Dec 2008, 05:29 »

St. Germain, did you use a store bought pattern for that or make it yourself?  What type of material is it?  it's hard to tell.  Is it lined? 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

St.Germain

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2008, 16:49 »

I wasn't trying to pad my count. I'll try to avoid crossposting in the future. I didn't realize it was against the rules since I thought people posted in both the photo thread and the fashion thread.

Anyway, I bought the pattern, I'm trying to find it again right now. It's made out moleskin, which is a slightly fuzzy sort of fabric. It's lined with fleece, to make it practical for winter wear. It has one pocket on the inside, which is not on the pattern, but I wanted a pocket. I'll try to get some up close shots and interiors, the only problem is my camera is shitty, so I'd have to get my boyfriend to help me out.

And I confess, I did have help. My mom helped me, especially on the trim around the edges.

EDIT: Aha! Here it is: http://simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=4962.  As you can see, it's a costume, but the added lining made it into a real coat.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2008, 16:55 by St.Germain »

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2009, 06:49 »

St.Germain I was joooking. It makes sense for you to post it here. I added angryfaec to make it more jokelike. (Although not crossposting is probably a good thing anyways, here it was warranted).

I still want more closeups of the jacket.

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:57 »

I sewed something, it's a little purse!

It's made from a children's dress at H&M. I really liked the fabric, so I bought the dress in the biggest size and then at home cut it up and transformed it into a purse. I modelled it after another purse I own. It's completely handsewn, because I didn't want to use a sewing maching for something so small (also, sewing machines scare me a little. They go too fast.).

The dress had a zipper on the side which I used for the opening of the purse, that was handy. I had a little help from a friend who always sews the most amazing things. I did this purse in the space of 2 evenings at my friend's house, we were both sewing, watching a video and chatting. (Yeah, that's how I like to spend my evenings - I'm officially lame. But crafting is way more fun if you do it together!)

St.Germain

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2009, 21:01 »

Krina, that is insanely clever and awesome!

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:08 »

Thank you. :)

I found this http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2008/10/chic-and-easy-bamboo-handled-purse.html in a list of 2008's 100 best tutorials (it's a purse made from upholstery fabric with bamboo handles). I think I will make one of those once I'm done with exams because it looks like a fairly simple project and not too much work to hand-sew it.

Edit: Here is the link for 2008's 100 best tutorials in case anyone is interested: http://thelongthread.com/?p=2021
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2009, 01:15 by Krina »

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2009, 18:38 »

Well I have not really gotten the hang of sewing other than hemming pants yet (easy!) but I decided to try a little project. It was a long and arduous journey and I learned many things.

1) Two mens' shirts (and a jacket that I forgot to snap pictures of)

2) Sew and flounder a bit (lacking skills, you see)

3) A bag! (front and back)
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

skinnyfat

« Reply #12 on: 25 Feb 2009, 21:19 »

Yay! Sewing. Something I am desperately trying to become good at. I usually don't have time, but I recently finished a quilt,

And I've been working on some quilt squares, that my mom left off finishing, somewhere abouts in the 80's. Which you can kind of tell by the colors...
One square I messed up, but ah well.

There are about 12 more to do. After I got all the pieces cut, the process got much easier.

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #13 on: 09 Mar 2009, 16:02 »

I made another purse!

Before:

After:

That was before I found the fabric store in this town, so I made do with a blouse from H&M (I liked the old-fashioned feel of the fabric) and a cheapo T-Shirt from some place like Primark.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2009, 16:05 by Krina »

Krina

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #14 on: 18 Mar 2009, 14:34 »

Can anybody give my any advice on iron-on lining (if that's the correct expression - i.e. lining that you're supposed to be able to directly iron onto the left side of fabric)? I tried ironing it on according to the instructions that were printed on, and I tried numerous other ways, but my lining just won't stick to the fabric! Google seems to fail me here. Is there like a really obvious beginner's mistake I could be making?

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2009, 00:45 »

Well, if it sticks to your iron, your lining is upside down (duh). Good luck getting it off; I recommend something like acetone (nail polish remover) or Goo Gone.

If not, well, then there are other issues at hand. What sorts of fabric are you trying to iron it to? What temperature is the iron set to? Is the adhesive expired? (This doesn't usually happen, because it doesn't "go bad" but it could be a lemon.)

The best thing to do if you do not have regular sew-in lining is to iron it on as best you can and if the ends pop up then sew across the corners. If it is worse, treat it like sew-in lining-made-easy and be glad that you won't have to pin it down, but you will have to sew it in. Do a 3/8" to 1/2" seam around, to leave space for your standard 5/8" for where the proper seam from the instructions in the pattern is supposed to be.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #16 on: 30 Apr 2009, 01:10 »

Things I have sewn:

(everything but the corset, that is leather and I bought it at ComiCon)

my senior prom dress (ok my mom totally helped me with that one but silk satin, what can you do)

stupid fleece hat. (yeah I also did the shirt and the pants but they were totally jacked from pajama patterns so they don't count)

An old mod here, Daniel, once known as Mnementh, has a poet shirt I made for him I think. I am currently working on three trial corsets, all different designs, a pirate shirt for my boyfriend, and a new chemise for my stupid historical costume fetish. Oh and I am doing all this new work by hand, because I need the practice and it really is so much easier to do corsets by hand anyway. Zipper machine feet can only go so far. The only thing suffering is my eyesight. :/ Hopefully that is temporary.

I can't seem to remember everything I have ever sewn, but this is good enough for now.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2009, 01:12 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #17 on: 30 Apr 2009, 10:02 »

Ok speaking of hand sewing, does anyone else do that? I am terrible and I am wondering about techniques and shit. I was looking to get books on the subject anyway, though, if no one really does hand sewing, though.

Dollface

• Bling blang blong blung
  • And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #18 on: 30 Apr 2009, 10:42 »

Is my fond of crocheting accepted here?
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #19 on: 30 Apr 2009, 10:50 »

Katie, I've done some hand sewing and made a simple dress for halloween a couple years ago, but I don't know of any official techniques.  I just kind of did it and crossed my fingers that it turned out ok (which it did).  I bled some, since I find thimbles terribly uncomfortable, so my white dress was somewhat spotted. 

St.Germain

« Reply #20 on: 11 May 2009, 15:10 »

I've done some hand-sewing, before I got my sewing machine. I made some fingerless glove/wrist warmer things from a pattern I made on notebook paper. They're pretty cute, so I might put up pictures sometime.

@ Dollface, I think there's a separate thread for that somewhere.
Edit: Here, http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,18552.0.html

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2010, 06:56 »

Sewing is rad.  This is the apron I made for Allison.  

Detail of the bow on the pocket

It is entirely hand sewn, even the button holes which were a pain in the ass.  

PS Katie are you still looking for advice on hand sewing?
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2010, 07:13 by Papersatan »
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #22 on: 23 Aug 2010, 05:58 »

That apron is dreamy.  Did you design the pattern yourself or get it somewhere?  I think i want one! 

Papersatan

« Reply #23 on: 25 Aug 2010, 19:13 »

I didn't use a pattern I just made it up as I went. 
I am in quarantine for a medical study right now and I finished this and then made another apron for a friend.  Everyone kept asking me if I sell aprons so I decided to take the hint.  This is the first one I made that I am going to try to sell. 

Prince of Space

• Larger than most fish
  • "Chickens are a cruel people"
« Reply #24 on: 21 Sep 2010, 20:04 »

I didn't use a pattern I just made it up as I went. 
I am in quarantine for a medical study right now and I finished this and then made another apron for a friend.  Everyone kept asking me if I sell aprons so I decided to take the hint.  This is the first one I made that I am going to try to sell. 

Both of those are beautiful.  I would definitely buy one of those.  Where do you think you'll sell them?  Etsy, perhaps?

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #25 on: 23 Sep 2010, 00:18 »

I am good on the handsewing, actually! I finished this corset and a Chong Li costume for my hot Japanese roommate for Dragon*Con, and both of them were mostly hand sewing, much to my chagrin.

I actually have some projects coming up that I will try my best to document with photos: Morrigan for Halloween, wafuku for my housemate, a Scorpio costume based on the Mord'Sith get-up (from Legend of the Seeker) for my Mardi Gras masq, and another corset. I am not looking forward to how much this will cost, though. >.<

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #26 on: 23 Sep 2010, 13:52 »

Pee Ess Kat I love your aprons!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #27 on: 23 Sep 2010, 15:01 »

So I actually have some big plans for my seasonal parties, which is why I already started a thread in the Music Forum about a playlist for one of them. I do a gift exchange thing for Twelfth Night and a masquerade for Mardi Gras every year, and this year I am making them better. I think I am going to do Black and White for Twelfth Night, so that I can make people sort of dress up but they won't have to out and make a real costume if'n they don't want (also I think figuring out how to make a b&w twelfth night cake should be fun). The theme for the masq is Starry Night, and  I am planning on picking up lots of white faerie lights at after-Christmas sales and putting them on my ceiling behind navy cloth and twisting them down the banister and all that. I have a list of costume ideas, too, that I want to put somewhere but not necessarily on like the facebook event page because 1) I will catch shit for already having the page up so damn early, and b) I want people to be creative and not use it as a checklist. I also don't want to end up volunteering to make ten people's costumes, but I can make suggestions if they ask, and I already have some patterns drafted.

-constellations (I am doing Scorpio)
-be a model of the solar system!
-Greek/Roman gods (Nyx, Erebus, Uranus, Oneiroi, Artemis, Selene)
-Arwen Evenstar (the evening star)
-a star, à la christmas pageants
-other deities of moon/night
-Puck or pretty much anyone from A Midsummer Night's Dream
-starry knight
-astronaut
-Buck Rogers, etc

Papersatan

« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2010, 08:23 »

My friend's cat ripped my pjs falling off my lap.  I fixed them up nice. 

Spub

• Not quite a lurker
  • I'm a peacock!
« Reply #29 on: 21 Feb 2011, 13:38 »

Nice patch work there, Papersatan.  If you're going to wear it, weird it proud.  The dresses above are really beautiful.  Are those for LARPing or Ren Fairing?  I really like the green one.  Of course, the model doesn't hurt things. 
Don't ask me, I'm still looking for tanning salons, a funny facebook status and America...

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
How about a Sewing Thread?
« Reply #30 on: 27 Jun 2012, 16:20 »

I agree with op this isn't knitting so phbbbt

Anyhow here's a cosplay jacket I'm working on for J-Fest

And the backside

*was getting tired of that slug*

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #31 on: 07 Jul 2012, 14:17 »

Hey, I made a thing. (The skirt.)

I am really freaking pale.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KevinLevin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #32 on: 26 Aug 2012, 00:42 »

Nice work Linds. The skirt is very beautiful and the best thing which I like about it, is it's color! :D

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #33 on: 26 Aug 2012, 20:14 »

Thanks! The color is what attracted me in the first place. I was browsing through some clearance fabric and pretty much went, "BLUE! Must have!" Most clearance fabric is...eh...so I consider myself lucky, especially since it was already embroidered like that on both borders. I still have the other half, not quite sure what to do with it.

Anywho, up next is this, view B (the one of the right). I made a muslin of the vest and it came out pretty well, so I'll be starting with the skirts, then the blouse, and then another vest. Hoping to have the skirts at least cut out by the weekend, maybe have one sewn up.

Papersatan

« Reply #34 on: 04 Nov 2012, 18:21 »

Right, so this sewing thread has always moved like molasses, which is what it is, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in starting a sewing um circle? club? I am not sure what to call it, but here is the thing:

After making that Ursula skirt for Halloween I was given a new burst of enthusiasm for sewing.  It is the first think I have finished in years, and I would like to start actually tackling projects again.  I think I it would be fun, and also motivate me to keep with it if there were people I could regularly share with, perhaps people who were also working on projects? 

I don't know that this needs to be sewing specific, v. other related crafts (needlepoint, knitting, crochet...) but is any one interesting in that sort of thing? If not I am just going to aim to share here once a week anyways, but if others want to use this as a way to get themselves motivated to work on things please chime in!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #35 on: 05 Nov 2012, 06:40 »

I would TOTALLY be up for any sewing/craft/handmade circle. I personally am interested in just about everything, mostly knitting, sewing, and some embroidery, cross stitch, and crochet. (Basically if it involves some kind of needle and a fiber, I like it.) Let's make this a thing! And maybe have it in CHATTER so people will actually see it and participate... :mrgreen:
Pages: [1]   Go Up