THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marigold  (Read 43292 times)

MrDorman

• Emoticontraindication
Re: Marigold
« Reply #50 on: 28 May 2009, 14:38 »

Another female on the roaster? Jeph is worse then Joss Whedon and J.J. Abrams combined.

Wait, J.J. Abrams?

Bookdust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #51 on: 28 May 2009, 15:59 »

Wait, J.J. Abrams?

Alias had a strong female lead, and many strong female supporting character's, Lost has Kate, Juliet, Sun, Penny, Ana-Lucia and those are just the character's I can come up with off the top of my head! And then Fringe has Olivia Dunham. J.J. is just as addicted to hordes of women has Joss is.
Andy: Hey, while I have you here, what do you think of this? Scrotation marks.

Ann: I don’t know what you’re talking about, but my gut says no.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #52 on: 28 May 2009, 16:12 »

So he likes strong women? I thought that was a good thing.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Bookdust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #53 on: 28 May 2009, 16:52 »

No no no! Its a great thing, I have the same problem with my stories, and I love everything Joss and J.J. have done (fantasizes about a team up effort between the two). I'm just saying that Jeph has it worse then they do with the out of wack Female to Male ratio.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #54 on: 28 May 2009, 18:25 »

SHE IS MY FAVORITE CHARACTER I LOVER SO MUCH AND SHE SHOULD HOOK UP WITH TAI
Hate, rain on me

Ladylethal

« Reply #55 on: 28 May 2009, 19:10 »

With a name like ladylethal I would have thought you were a fan of tortura.

Ladylethal came 'cus of LadyDeathstrike from the Wolverine comics, she's named Ladylethal in Brazil (which is where I am from). It's been my nick on forums since I was 15.

Installer

« Reply #56 on: 29 May 2009, 03:45 »

Ladylethal came 'cus of LadyDeathstrike from the Wolverine comics, she's named Ladylethal in Brazil (which is where I am from). It's been my nick on forums since I was 15.

You're awesome. Lady Deathstrke is one of the best characters in X-men.

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #57 on: 29 May 2009, 04:31 »

Wait, J.J. Abrams?

Alias had a strong female lead, and many strong female supporting character's, Lost has Kate, Juliet, Sun, Penny, Ana-Lucia and those are just the character's I can come up with off the top of my head! And then Fringe has Olivia Dunham. J.J. is just as addicted to hordes of women has Joss is.
Lost has about a bajillion characters. It's hardly surprising that there's a lot of women. There's also a lot of men.

Bookdust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #58 on: 29 May 2009, 08:45 »

Oh for crying out loud! A guy makes a simple off-hand statement and it derails a whole topic! If you don't like my personal observations on J.J. Abrams and his large stable of female character's, fine, but can we please return to the topic at hand?

So its happened, Dora has gone and done the inevitable by dragging two opposites together. Only one outcome is possible... The complete destruction of the UNIVERSE!
« Last Edit: 29 May 2009, 14:58 by Bookdust »

Ladylethal

« Reply #59 on: 29 May 2009, 10:42 »

I bet Hanners will have tons of fun cleaning Marigold's place.  :laugh:

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #60 on: 29 May 2009, 16:42 »

If you don't like my personal observations on J.J. Abrams and his large stable of female character's, fine, but can we please return to the topic at hand?

And the point was, it's not. Given the number of male characters any one of us could name in Lost, it's only a large number of female characters in comparison to shows that (due to sexist writer) have dozens of guys and one or two Chicks, or in comparison to shows that actually have a small cast in total.

eringu13

« Reply #61 on: 29 May 2009, 18:34 »

I have been reading QC and lurking around the forums for a while now, but have come out of my hiding spot to say that I hate Marigold. Well hate is strong, but strong dislike is definitely there. Maybe she will grow on me, but we shall see. As soon as I saw her my immediate reaction was "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU." I have been studying Japanese for 4 years, and my classes are always mostly filled with people like her. Not as fun as it looks :/

But on that note this is the first character that I have really not liked. Sure Dora/Marten drama bothers me every once and a while, but over all I enjoy everything Jeph has done.

Bookdust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #62 on: 29 May 2009, 18:42 »

I'm making no judgments yet. She seems grumpy and gross, but I think QC needs a character like that to feel the vacuum that Natasha left.

Keebbles

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #63 on: 29 May 2009, 20:49 »

Once Hanners gets a scouting report on the mess from her pc. She'll come packing the latest HALO full body sealed environmental armor and a flamer.
 Woe to anyone and any dirt that gets in her way...
 To be sure she's likely to do this as she'll get to see hot sweaty cute firemen, neh? 
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Free 2 Play! No D/L! Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN The Awesome Online Anime Spoof!

ekafrikay

• Not quite a lurker
  • NO NO NO NO NO
« Reply #64 on: 30 May 2009, 09:29 »

I'm making no judgments yet. She seems grumpy and gross, but I think QC needs a character like that to feel the vacuum that Natasha left.

Agreed.  Things have been getting a bit too clean around here.

Mabus_Zero

• Plantmonster
  • A Monk/Mr. Clean Hybrid
« Reply #65 on: 30 May 2009, 09:31 »

Marigold makes me not feel so bad about my lack of room orderliness.
'One guard tells only the truth, one only tells lies, and the other stabs people that ask tricky questions.'

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #66 on: 31 May 2009, 16:26 »

I think Marigold's gonna be that volatile element to the mix that's gonna stir things up to a fair-thee-well in the next few weeks

Either that, or this is her fifteen minutes.

:D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Bookdust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #67 on: 01 Jun 2009, 09:07 »

Hanners is taking this seriously. She's the Germinator!

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #68 on: 01 Jun 2009, 22:03 »

i bet marigold has really crazy '70s bush.
also israel

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #69 on: 02 Jun 2009, 05:38 »

YOU KILLED MY FANTASIES!
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #70 on: 02 Jun 2009, 06:00 »

naw dogg, she's got it all shaved off, like the hentai girls.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

frozen_flame

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mr Messy
« Reply #71 on: 02 Jun 2009, 06:08 »

YOU KILLED MY FANTASIES!

And kicked mine off. All is equal again.
In need of a better avatar.

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #72 on: 02 Jun 2009, 08:25 »

Mmm, shaved hentai catgirls, relevant to Our* interests...

*Our as in belonging to 4chan

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #73 on: 02 Jun 2009, 11:41 »

You know, one of Hanners's dating problems with OCD is getting close enough to really know someone. How better to learn about someone than by turning their life and domecile upside down. I'm wondering if this might finally be the push she needs to form an actual emotional connection with someone... and to discover lesbianism. Marigold could be her new project. And she looks like she could swing both ways.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Bookdust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #74 on: 02 Jun 2009, 19:25 »

Wow, lots of Yuri fans in this house. And I thought I was alone on that front.

I don't know that I like the idea of Hanners hooking up with someone, I kinda prefer her as the crazy OCD girl that the rest of the gang plays surrogate too.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #75 on: 02 Jun 2009, 21:34 »

The cast seems to respect Hanners's problems. Instead of trying to fix her up with someone, they've been warning people off. Faye told Sven "off-limits", Marten told Tai to lay off.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #76 on: 02 Jun 2009, 21:58 »

True

But I think if Hanners were to show some overt interest in someone, there's no doubt the gang would get behind her and egg her on.

And Marigold - well, the possibility is there depending on how Jeph wants this to go.  A bit of Yuri in this comic might be good.  After all, so far the only Lesbian character we've seen in QC World is Faye's sister, and she made only a guest appearance.
James The Kugai 

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #77 on: 02 Jun 2009, 22:16 »

Tai.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #78 on: 02 Jun 2009, 22:53 »

*Smacks head*

Considering my Penchant for HanTai you'd think I'd remember!   :roll: :roll: :roll:
James The Kugai 

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #79 on: 02 Jun 2009, 22:58 »

Does anybody else feel a bit bad for Marigold at the moment?

She fixes Pintsize back up and gets treated to a demeaning lecture by Hannelore - of course after her room is cleaned, but still.

FourNineFoxtrot

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hell on Wheels
« Reply #80 on: 02 Jun 2009, 23:16 »

Yeah, Hanners kinda pissed me off there, all yelling at Marigold and barking orders at her.  Having lived in what can basically only be called "filth", I've gotta say that having some overbearing person confront me about it would not have helped.

In fact, it happened, and didn't help.  It pissed me off.

Marigold didn't ask anyone to clean her apartment.  She said she wanted payment for helping Marten, not to have her stuff poked at by strangers, and condescending lectures from same. 

Garry Owen!

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #81 on: 03 Jun 2009, 00:27 »

Well, it's still not good to live in filth, no matter what.

But if you fixed up my AnthroPC I'd wait till another time and gently/wisely bring it up in a smarter context/manner as opposed to making it a rude, inappropriate return gesture.

FourNineFoxtrot

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hell on Wheels
« Reply #82 on: 03 Jun 2009, 00:43 »

Exactly.  I mean, there's such a thing as basic courtesy.  Rummaging through a person's home and insulting them, even with the best of intentions, isn't it.

You can't force a person to change.  All you can do is offer to help, if they want it.  A person has to want to change.

I don't know what's going to happen in the strip, but if this happened to someone like Marigold in real life (i.e., if it happened to me), the place would just be a mess again soon.  Maybe just out of spite; I don't know about Marigold, but I'm a pretty contrary person.  Push me one direction, and I'll change course even if I was headed that way to begin with.
Garry Owen!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #83 on: 03 Jun 2009, 00:50 »

Yeah, Hanners kinda pissed me off there, all yelling at Marigold and barking orders at her.
Hanners' software is buggy remember. Expecting normal social interaction from an OCD-sufferer who's just had all her mess/dirt/disorder triggers pulled would be pretty unreasonable, if we were making real-world judgements of cartoon characters...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #84 on: 03 Jun 2009, 00:54 »

The reason humans can plan ahead is our ability to make judgments about non-factual situations. Those situations could be our possible future actions, or they could be the actions of a non-existent person. Passing judgment on the behavior of a cartoon character is totally human.

Hannelore's problem right now is that she's her mother's daughter.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #85 on: 03 Jun 2009, 01:56 »

*note* This was also posted in the WCT thread, but I thought it belonged here too. 

Actually, I feel very sorry for Marigold.  She is not lazy, as Hannelore puts it - she is simply a hoarder, and needs more help than these three can provide.

— Hoarding is a mental health issue and is not due to laziness, personality flaws, or stubbornness.

— Hoarding and saving symptoms are part of a discrete clinical syndrome that also includes indecisiveness, perfectionism, procrastination, difficulty in organizing tasks, and avoidance.

— Compulsive hoarding has been linked with OCD, ADHD, depression, and social phobia, however, evidence suggests it is a separate disorder.

— Compulsive hoarding is treatable. Cleaning up the hoarder’s house (without their permission or involvement) is not treatment, as the hoarding behavior will continue.

It's just interesting that these comics come up now, because I've been looking into exactly this to try to help myself.  I'm not as bad as she is (I take out my trash on a regular basis and never have any pests), but I understand exactly how it goes.  She says she's absent-minded - that definitely comes with the territory, I'm the most absent-minded person I know.  I've had friends try to help, but it's difficult to just have someone go through all your things and indiscriminately decide what is valuable and what is not.  And for the stuff you want to keep, you don't want them to just put it somewhere - you want to be the one to decide where the perfect place for it is.  And even if someone does help you clean the place, the hoarding behavior hasn't been addressed, so before you can say Jiminy Cricket, it's a big mess all over again.  I wouldn't be surprised if it were a mess when Hannelore comes back.  In fact, it would make sense. 

Also, Marigold's comment of "it was vintage!" - very much a hoarder's mentality. Excessive sentimental value is attached to almost everything you own, which is one of the reasons that nothing is gotten rid of.

I feel for her because there the shame she feels in today's comic is real, and it's difficult to deal with.  You don't invite people over to your apartment because you're embarrassed.  It gets in the way of your everyday life, it's hard to establish a daily routine, and sleep patterns are out of whack.  You don't want to talk about it, and being berated over it just makes the self-loathing worse.  No matter how you try, you can't seem to make a dent, and that just makes you feel worse about yourself, and the cycle continues.  Sometimes you just stop trying altogether, and if depression sets in, then you just don't feel like even putting in the effort. 

Over time, you just get used to it, and even though it makes you feel bad about yourself, makes you think you're lazy (even though you're not), it's just easier to ignore it and tell yourself, "That's just the way I am. I shouldn't have to apologize for who I am!"  In reality though, deep down you know you'll feel much better about yourself when you get things under control.  But the answers are neither easy nor swift, and take commitment - a level of commitment I hope to find one day.

*whew*

Anyways, I guess now you guys know more about me than you cared to.  But you know a little more about Marigold, too, so maybe that's a plus.  If you have any more questions about the issue (with regards to Marigold, of course, not me), feel free to ask. 
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

plethora

• Larger than most fish
  • fluff fluff fluff
« Reply #86 on: 03 Jun 2009, 03:17 »

No, she's lazy. She doesn't have a mental disorder, she just doesn't notice what her environment looks like.
On the flipside of your sharing, this is me exactly. "I'll just put this down for a second while I go over here and then I'll come back and put it in the sink. Oh look, shiny! *is distracted*" It takes me running out of cutlery to do the dishes, etc, because I don't really look around my flat and think, "wow, what a mess".

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #87 on: 03 Jun 2009, 04:49 »

Sounds like how my sons clean up after themselves....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

firehat

« Reply #88 on: 03 Jun 2009, 11:51 »

Yeah, Hanners kinda pissed me off there, all yelling at Marigold and barking orders at her.

no offense, but holy crap she sorta turned me ON.  anyone else suddenly seeing dominatrix potential in hanners??  maybe she can get training from marten's mom...

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #89 on: 03 Jun 2009, 12:08 »

Now there's an interesting image - both Dominatrix Mistress Hannelore and  her going to Marten's mom for her training.

Would Dora benefit from such training or do you think she already knows?    :D  ;)
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2009, 12:37 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

no one special

• Curry sauce
« Reply #90 on: 03 Jun 2009, 12:10 »

No, she's lazy. She doesn't have a mental disorder, she just doesn't notice what her environment looks like.
On the flipside of your sharing, this is me exactly. "I'll just put this down for a second while I go over here and then I'll come back and put it in the sink. Oh look, shiny! *is distracted*" It takes me running out of cutlery to do the dishes, etc, because I don't really look around my flat and think, "wow, what a mess".

I think you're wrong.  But hey, no one said everyone had to agree. 

'this is me exactly' - I have shown you a possible future.  Just FYI.
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Junodog

• Not quite a lurker
  • Beregond needs more love.
« Reply #91 on: 03 Jun 2009, 12:42 »

This sounds more reasonable to me as well, mostly because I've been in that state for most of my life.  I have my messy room and I've got a nice plan for cleaning it up, then I get tired or distracted and end up not getting anything done, and then I've got another few dirty kleenexes on the floor that I had meant to throw away but forgot about in the time between the thought of "this needs to be thrown away" and actually getting up to do something else, and then a week passes after I first intended to clean everything up and it's about the same, if not worse, than it was before.  The only thing that can keep me from doing this is if I have enough space for storage (which is only the case about half the time, if that) or if my room is in pretty good shape to begin with.  Getting distracted is a huge part of it.

Of course, in my case it actually is a mental disorder, seeing as I've got ADHD and an anxiety disorder, but it's not necessarily hoarding.  For me it was just getting distracted and not having a trash can nearby or having places to put stuff/organize it.  I'm better now than I was, though, mostly because I've gotten into better routines over the years and I know how to organize things in the best way possible for me.  I think Marigold might just be one of those people who forgets about the stuff that doesn't interest her and doesn't do anything about it for a long time.  And yes, I have forgotten to throw stuff away for months at a time.

Also, the 'vintage' pocky box struck me more as an excuse than anything else.  I mean, if someone was in my face about something like that, I'd probably try to justify it just so they'd leave me alone.

PS to whoever said her room would just be in the same state after a couple weeks, it's actually a lot easier to keep a clean room clean than it is to clean a dirty room.  At least if it's a case like the one described above where getting distracted/forgetful is the main issue.  I also know this from experience.
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2009, 13:14 by Junodog »
Quote from: Xipher from elsewhere
I'ma gonna charge my kitty vengance lazer beam. It's the cutest death ray you'll ever see.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #92 on: 03 Jun 2009, 13:25 »

Yeah, she's definitely showing some signs of hoarding.

- Generally leaving things where you finish using them (look at all the bowls with flies around them), though this could just be chalked up to laziness.
- Saving things that are clearly trash (for example the empty boxes in 1413)
- Extreme anxiety over throwing trash away (1417)
- Stressing that nobody touches her stuff (also 1413)
- Making excuses for keeping things (the "vintage" 10 year old pocky, though I didn't know sawdust went stale :P)

But oddly enough, from what we've seen of the living room, the rest of the apartment is clean. She must have a roommate we haven't seen yet.

Problems like this are sad, really. I have a friend who's a hoarder, and he completely flipped out at me for dumping a half-empty 1 gallon bottle of milk down the sink and throwing it away. (Mind you this was 3 days after its expiration date, and it was room temperature so it had been sitting out for a while.)
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2009, 13:27 by bicostp »

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #93 on: 03 Jun 2009, 13:30 »

no offense, but holy crap she sorta turned me ON.  anyone else suddenly seeing dominatrix potential in hanners??  maybe she can get training from marten's mom...

HOLY SHIT! me too!

Bookdust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 03 Jun 2009, 13:52 »

Dominatrix Hanners is hot!

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #95 on: 03 Jun 2009, 14:15 »

WASH THAT WALL BETTER! *whips*
yes mistress *scrubs*

no one special

• Curry sauce
« Reply #96 on: 03 Jun 2009, 17:18 »

I have my messy room and I've got a nice plan for cleaning it up, then I get tired or distracted and end up not getting anything done, and then I've got another few dirty kleenexes on the floor that I had meant to throw away but forgot about in the time between the thought of "this needs to be thrown away" and actually getting up to do something else, and then a week passes after I first intended to clean everything up and it's about the same, if not worse, than it was before.  The only thing that can keep me from doing this is if I have enough space for storage (which is only the case about half the time, if that) or if my room is in pretty good shape to begin with.  Getting distracted is a huge part of it.

Of course, in my case it actually is a mental disorder, seeing as I've got ADHD and an anxiety disorder, but it's not necessarily hoarding.  For me it was just getting distracted and not having a trash can nearby or having places to put stuff/organize it.  I'm better now than I was, though, mostly because I've gotten into better routines over the years and I know how to organize things in the best way possible for me.  I think Marigold might just be one of those people who forgets about the stuff that doesn't interest her and doesn't do anything about it for a long time.  And yes, I have forgotten to throw stuff away for months at a time.

Yeah, that's basically what I'm talking about, as I totally relate to everything you said.  I mean, I don't specifically consider myself a hoarder per se, (though I do think I have an undiagnosed disorder, not to mention my anxiety issues), and she may not be either, but I think it's something more than just 'being lazy.'  I usually find that people who say 'it's just being lazy' don't understand that there's the possibility that it's more than that.  It's understandable, as it may be hard to relate if you haven't had that experience in your life, but being open-minded to the possibility would certainly be helpful.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #97 on: 03 Jun 2009, 17:33 »

Penchant for HanTai

hahahaha are you fucking serious someone ban this guy
also israel

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #98 on: 03 Jun 2009, 18:26 »

Gee, why don't you take my words out of context why donchya.

:roll:
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2009, 18:28 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #99 on: 03 Jun 2009, 20:01 »

are you kidding? I bet she's got constant malodour of the vagina due to improper hygiene

I bet her wow char is fucking ballin' though.
also israel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up