THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Bard's Tale (original)  (Read 2532 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
The Bard's Tale (original)
« on: 26 Sep 2009, 07:03 »

Hey, do they make games like the original Bard's Tale series anymore?

I was just wondering, because I loved those games when I was younger.  Would be great if I could find something like it now.  First-person, turn-based, action/adventure RPG controlling a bunch of adventurers.  The graphics don't have to be fancy, it's just got to play well.

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
Re: The Bard's Tale (original)
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2009, 08:08 »

I loved that game spent many many hours trying to figure it out. Roadwar 2000 is another one that i love similiar to it.
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2009, 21:52 »

I went for a bit of a scout around and found Wizardry 8 and Might & Magic IX as being two games with that kind of look/feel, but that was back in 2001 & 2002.  I could grab either of them from a bargain bin someplace, but surely there's something more recent than that.

Also: Oh wow, Morrowind came out in 2002?  Jesus.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2009, 04:39 »

Might & Magic IX

Sucks compared to the previous games in that series. You should look them up.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2009, 14:01 »

If you want to go really old school you could always pick up the M&M six pack from GOG.com. Fair warning though; the most recent game in that pack is Might and Magic VI, which came out in '98. Then again though, M&M6 is one of the most modern versions of what you're looking for, really, which is kind of sad. It's pretty damned minimalist in terms of actual role playing, but it was one of the few CRPGs/Crawlers that I can think of that were remarkably bug free even in its initial release, which is always nice. I had fun with it, at any rate.

One thing that kinda bugs me about M&M games in general is the simple fact that well, might kind of sucks, particularly compared to magic, and in M&M6 the divide is rather exaggerated. You're generally a helluva lot better off depending on magical buffs to strengthen your sword arm than ever sinking too many points into your weapon skills, which is kind of a bummer. Honestly, the only reason I ever created a Knight in M&M6 as opposed to a Paladin is due the ridiculous health pool they get and the fact that somebody needs to get stuck learning miscellaneous skills and it might as well be the dude who can't rain fire from the skies. As far as I'm concerned, knights are for detecting traps and carrying the rest of your mangled party back to the temple to get rezzed (to be fair, getting mangled can come up surprisingly often, so having someone specialized in it isn't necessarily a bad thing). Depending on them to actually kill stuff is a fool's errand. That's what fireballs are for. Well, that and arrows. Lots and lots of arrows.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2009, 16:04 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty
Pages: [1]   Go Up