THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 21:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: University/College  (Read 444695 times)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Re: University/College
« Reply #2250 on: 28 Apr 2014, 15:08 »

Aye, Norn Eire and university is right.

I don't think I've ever explained why I write it that way. It's because the accents here are ridiculous. (Video of two Belfast lads chatting.)
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2014, 15:16 by Welu »

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #2251 on: 28 Apr 2014, 16:06 »

Yeah, it's comparable, I think. It's one unit of my course. I have done twelve modules over two years, if that helps explain it.

So by course you mean in the same subject getting more advanced each time. Like at my high school you took Algebra I, and then Algebra II the next semester.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2252 on: 28 Apr 2014, 16:28 »

Not exactly. It's a university course about media production so the modules/units/classes (I think they're basically all the same) are all related but also separate. Like I've done three modules related to audio over three terms/semesters, but they all looked at different areas and all the skills don't necessarily pass over. This course in particular got a major overhaul in the last couple years too so some of it is a bit experimental.

I think a way to explain this specific course is like entering one called Music but you learn the basics of ten different instruments. You only spend a few weeks with each one and some instruments have things in common but it's essentially a course to find out what you play best.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2253 on: 03 May 2014, 15:10 »

I wish our university would stop doing separate graduations for each college and have one large ceremony like most schools. It would be nice if when my graduation comes around in a couple years I graduate with my entire school, not just the thousand or so people in my (rather arbitrary) "college."

We have the size and academic reputation to pull large and important commencement speakers, but the division prevents this from happening. And because all the colleges, except the School of Music and College of Education, are very broad in scope, most students don't get the benefit of having someone in their field speaking at their graduation either. It also puts some double majors in an awkward situation of having to choose one to attend, and not seeing their friends in other academic colleges get recognized.

For example, the speaker at the Fine and Applied Arts Commencement (which is a weird mix of Communications, Sustainable Development, Design, Theatre, Dance, Visual Arts, and Military Science) is a local news anchor. I don't know what North Carolina is like, but growing up in Cleveland a local anchorman visited my elementary school. And while I'm sure his speech will be of interest to the 1/10th of the room that are journalism majors, it's not anything I would tell my friends, or anyone else, about.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2254 on: 03 May 2014, 23:15 »

My school had separate "convocations" where we walked across the stage and got a piece of paper (but oddly enough, not our diploma, that was mailed to us, so the paper was a stand in for the diploma...weird, I know) and a "commencement" after all those for everyone to go to and hear a few speakers. The latter is what made us officially graduated and I think it was a good system.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #2255 on: 03 May 2014, 23:23 »

My school had separate "convocations" where we walked across the stage and got a piece of paper (but oddly enough, not our diploma, that was mailed to us, so the paper was a stand in for the diploma...weird, I know)

Not at all. Our university does that if by graduation day it is clear you have passed, but not which marks you got.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2256 on: 03 May 2014, 23:28 »

Well, no, since the diploma gives no indication of your grades. Just that you graduated.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #2257 on: 03 May 2014, 23:40 »

Ah but it does, your diploma reflects graduating with honors, magna cum laude, etc and your grades are very much a part of that rating.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2258 on: 04 May 2014, 00:19 »

We had the same thing, and my actual degree certificate doesn't contain anything at all that is related to my grades - it doesn't even say what subject I took.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2259 on: 04 May 2014, 05:43 »

Ah but it does, your diploma reflects graduating with honors, magna cum laude, etc and your grades are very much a part of that rating.
Ahh, does it? I didn't know that. I guess that makes sense then.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2260 on: 04 May 2014, 06:11 »

When I graduated I from Oslo Uni I just got a paper congratulating me and encouraging me to apply for a masters at the same uni, and the Diploma was mailed to me afterwards. When I graduate from Glasgow, I'm pretty sure I'll get the Diploma during the ceremony? I'll know my grades roughly a week before that though.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #2261 on: 05 May 2014, 07:05 »

Maryland just gave us a rolled-up poster of Testudo at graduation. Diplomas were mailed several weeks later.
They have a big ceremony in the basketball stadium, which was huge and long and weird when my sister walked at it. I don't remember if they even got to actually walk or if they just read off all the names. They also have individual graduations for each major, basically, so I walked with the School of Theater & Dance, not the College of Arts & Humanities which included like, English and history and art and foreign languages and all kinds of random schools.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2262 on: 05 May 2014, 07:22 »

I guess the college I went to was unusual, because they gave me my diploma at the graduation ceremony.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2263 on: 05 May 2014, 08:20 »

Two weeks left in the semester.  I'm making not-Minesweeper in Javascript.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2264 on: 05 May 2014, 11:27 »

I guess the college I went to was unusual, because they gave me my diploma at the graduation ceremony.

Same here. Don't think it's that unusual?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2265 on: 05 May 2014, 12:34 »

I got handed a fake one for photo purposes and then they sent the real one home to my house.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2266 on: 07 May 2014, 13:23 »

As I'm currently learning for the third year in a row, applying for financial aid when you're very poor is the biggest fucking hassle. I can't tell you how many hours I've spent filling out forms. But I can tell you how many my mother and I have filled out - fourteen. That's in addition to the FAFSA. Every...fucking...form begets more forms. And all the mailing back and forth that has to happen delays the process a lot.

They've apparently run out of forms, because I just got a regular old e-mail saying that now my mother has to send copies of her W-2s even though she used the IRS data retrieval tool on FAFSA which you access by giving your social security number, it's not shit that you can make up and the W-2s SHOULD BE PART OF THE DATA THAT WAS SENT WITH THE DATA RETRIEVAL TOOL JESUS FUCKING CHRIST.
« Last Edit: 07 May 2014, 13:29 by 94ssd »

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2267 on: 08 May 2014, 17:02 »

So spring semester just let out for me, I haven't checked my grades yet because, like every year I'm nervous as hell , mostly for no reason, sometimes for good reason. I know I did beter than last semester though, I definitely did not get anything less than a C. But that doesn't stop the nerve-racking anxiety I have.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2268 on: 08 May 2014, 21:12 »

So spring semester just let out for me, I haven't checked my grades yet because, like every year I'm nervous as hell , mostly for no reason, sometimes for good reason. I know I did beter than last semester though, I definitely did not get anything less than a C. But that doesn't stop the nerve-racking anxiety I have.

Of the six classes I took this semester, there's 1 that I'm pretty sure I got an A in, three that I know I probably passed but have no clue what my actual grade is, and two that I might have failed but whatever, it's out of my hands now.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #2269 on: 10 May 2014, 11:02 »

Finally checked my grades...
Al A's and B's!

So relieved
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2270 on: 10 May 2014, 13:13 »

Whoo!!

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2271 on: 11 May 2014, 18:18 »

I only know what two of my grades are because four of my professors are stupid jerks who smell.

Technically the grading deadline is Monday afternoon, but I've never had to wait that long for any class before.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2272 on: 11 May 2014, 18:34 »

Unrelated to grading, I just realized that the male/female ratio of my professors, counting this summer and next semester, is 17:5 (taking into consideration professors I've had multiple times). I had no women as professors this semester and will not have any over the summer.

The shortage of female theatrical designers in areas other than costumes is well known. But most interesting is that none of my Poli Sci professors (my minor) are women, and since I complete my minor program in the Fall none of them will be. I don't think the university publishes faculty demographics, and I'm not around the Poli Sci department enough to be sure, but it seems really strange that of the 6 political science classes I have taken/will take, based mostly on if they fit into my schedule of other classes, that this would happen.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2273 on: 12 May 2014, 00:23 »

Sitting in linear algebra and bored out of my mind.
I have trouble concentrating on the topic.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2274 on: 12 May 2014, 01:25 »

I took linear algebra two times and failed, I can sympathize.

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #2275 on: 12 May 2014, 03:16 »

I took it over the summer. It's a bit more interesting when you're doing a week's worth of lessons every day.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2276 on: 12 May 2014, 07:27 »

I passed linear algebra the first time. I still don't know how.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #2277 on: 12 May 2014, 07:35 »

Linear algebra is pretty okay. You're just adding and multiplying rows or tables of numbers values, and thinking about what properties those rows and tables have.

If your lecturers claim that you're doing stuff with arrows in space, tell them to fuck off and skip the lectures, because they're wrong and should feel bad about how wrong they are.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2278 on: 12 May 2014, 09:33 »

Finally got my grades. 3 As and 3 Bs.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2279 on: 12 May 2014, 09:58 »

Good job! How do you feel about those grades?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2280 on: 12 May 2014, 10:09 »

Linear algebra is pretty okay. You're just adding and multiplying rows or tables of numbers values, and thinking about what properties those rows and tables have.

If your lecturers claim that you're doing stuff with arrows in space, tell them to fuck off and skip the lectures, because they're wrong and should feel bad about how wrong they are.
I assure you, I have a really theoretical uni. No arrows here :D
We are currently dealing with homomorphisms.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2281 on: 12 May 2014, 12:21 »

Good job! How do you feel about those grades?

Eh, not patting myself on the back too much because I recognize that this semester was pretty light as far as theatre goes. Next year I'm designing and I'm taking harder classses.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #2282 on: 12 May 2014, 17:48 »

Oooohkay.

I just finished my final Category Theory compulsory exercise about an hour ago. I'll finish my final compulsory in Logics by Thursday, and then I'm done with all compulsory exercises. For the rest of my life.

By the 4th of June, I'll be done with all of the exams I'll ever have. That's kinda bizarre. I've been doing this education thing for 16 year straight now. I've got my Master's thesis left - one year of work on only that - and I'll be done with this stuff, for good. I'm already on a track to do the stuff I want to do with my life (Hey, why don't you like the indie game startup I'm working for on facebook?), but leaving University will be a big change. Kinda looking forward to it, kinda dreading it.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2283 on: 16 May 2014, 08:48 »

Just turned in my rented books and submitted a JavaScript calculator for my last assignment.  I could also turn in my laptop, but my personal one is five years old and on its last legs, and the school one isn't due back until Monday, so I'll keep it out for a few more days.  I really need to find a replacement for mine :(

As far as classes went, I got one B and the rest are As that I know of.  I was concerned about my programming fundamentals final, since the instructor is known for making difficult tests, but I got a B on it, which sunk my overall grade by only 2%, leaving me with an 87.3% as a final grade (B), so I can't complain too much.

Two of my classes ended up being 'gimmies' because the instructor for both flaked out and didn't upload any grades before disappearing and being let go, so we were basically given "class time served" grades, which will average out to As from what I've seen.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2284 on: 16 May 2014, 08:51 »

Sounds like you did well, even if you had the world's most inept instructors - that's awful! Did you learn much from them?

It staggers me that 87% could be a B. 87% is a spectacular grade here, it's easily a First class and probably a starred First. I have never got 87% in anything since A levels! Funny how different the systems are.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2285 on: 16 May 2014, 12:01 »

A 90% and up is an A if there's no plus/minus, otherwise a 90 is an A- and an A is usually 93+

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2286 on: 17 May 2014, 04:18 »

I'm not sure which grading system is more fucked, yours or mine.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2287 on: 17 May 2014, 04:41 »

Ours is, theoretically, a pass = D = 50% and the others are spaced out at intervals of 4% or so, if I am calculating correctly. However, they are almost always graded to make more people pass in practice.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2288 on: 17 May 2014, 05:34 »

heh, that definitely depends on the university. There are some exams where only 40% of the people pass.

There is a running gag in the Fachschaft: "4 gewinnt", literally "4 wins". 4 is our equivalent of a D, and "4 gewinnt" is the German name for "connect four".

So some people consider a D to be ideal.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2289 on: 17 May 2014, 05:42 »

heh, that definitely depends on the university. There are some exams where only 40% of the people pass.
:? I meant that you pass at "50% of the maximum points", not "50% of all people pass". Or what do you mean?
There is a running gag in the Fachschaft: "4 gewinnt"
...not only in yours.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #2290 on: 17 May 2014, 07:08 »

There is a running gag in the Fachschaft: "4 gewinnt", literally "4 wins". 4 is our equivalent of a D, and "4 gewinnt" is the German name for "connect four".

So some people consider a D to be ideal.

The saying here is "Ds get degrees."

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2291 on: 17 May 2014, 07:19 »

I'm disappointed because at the start of the year I set myself the ridiculous goal of getting a first/distinction/whatever the fuck way my college marks things and I managed to actually be averaging 78% before these last two modules. 70%+ is the average needed. Now these last two modules are going to completely crash my average, assuming I even pass them at all. Fuck.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2292 on: 17 May 2014, 07:40 »

How certain are you that you'll do badly in these modules? Is there any way you can change that - an extension, special circumstances, extra support? If the answer to those questions are "100% sure" and "no", take comfort in the fact that you did incredibly well in almost everything (considering your goal was 70%, you smashed it out of the park with the other modules!) and if your life hadn't been as complex, you'd have aced it. Your goal wasn't ridiculous at all, you've just had tough circumstances.

I really wish I was already in my new flat. I'm so looking forward to having more space (and therefore the place will be tidier!) and a proper desk to study at. I honestly think it will raise my grades significantly for next year.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2293 on: 17 May 2014, 07:43 »

100% sure and no is right, unfortunately. Part of the issue was I was assured I already had an extension but found out two weeks ago I had to stick to the original deadline.

Thanks for the advice. Logically, I know you're right and other people have been telling me the same, it's just taking my emotions a while to catch up.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #2294 on: 17 May 2014, 07:46 »

Yeah, it sucks when you're within sight of a goal but can't reach it. I just got 58% on my assessed placement - I really wish I had achieved 60%, and I was a bit disappointed even though that's a 10 percentage point improvement on the last placement. It's almost easier to be miles off your goal, because then you can just say "ah well, it was a stupid goal".

However, logically, as you already know, it is far better to be close to meeting a goal than miles away from it. So way to go and high five for doing so well! o/

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2295 on: 17 May 2014, 07:53 »

It's almost easier to be miles off your goal, because then you can just say "ah well, it was a stupid goal".

That's the feeling I was struggling to put into words when talking to my friend/tutor a while ago. (Friend first, then happened to take a job teaching another class in my same course)

You're right though. I'll be happy there's only two more days left and knowing if life didn't get overwhelming, I would have more than succeeded. I think partially I'm trying to talk myself down to avoid getting hopeful about my marks but I should be concentrating on the time before when I was definitely doing well. Plus after this week I'm done with education forever! I'll move on to being a struggling filmmaker clinging to the connections I made on the course! Whoo!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #2296 on: 17 May 2014, 18:22 »

:? I meant that you pass at "50% of the maximum points", not "50% of all people pass". Or what do you mean?

well, there was this one exam this semester… It was heartbreaking to see how many people appeared in the Fachschaft, asking for protocols of oral re-exams after the results of the written exams were published. And it was even worse how many people appeared in the Fachschaft on the days when the oral re-exams took place, asking for information about applications for a new re-exam (Härtefallanträge).

Explanation for the people outside Germany: Here you have two tries on a written exam. Then you can try an oral re-exam, for which you can only get a D or fail. If you fail that as well, you need to hand in a formal application for another try. In it you need to explain why exactly you were unable to pass the exam. If this application is granted, then you'll have another try at one written and one oral exam. If it isn't granted, or you fail your second tries, you'll lose the right to take exams in this field of study (that includes majors which are very close to your original one) in whole Germany.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2297 on: 17 May 2014, 23:38 »

Explanation for the people outside Germany: Here you have two tries on a written exam.
Three over here.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2298 on: 18 May 2014, 03:06 »

Unlimited tries over here

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #2299 on: 18 May 2014, 03:24 »

We get three tries, and can write an application for a fourth. You just lose the right for exams in that course, not in the field of study, though. That'd be a bit harsh.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 50   Go Up