THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 76   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LIKE SPORTS  (Read 580907 times)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Re: WE LIKE SPORTS
« Reply #3450 on: 04 Sep 2014, 20:58 »

Watched the Hawks game today. Pretty nice.

I used to be more into college football (and nothing will stop me from rooting for Stanford Cardinal) but a friend here got me into the NFL. He's been a Seahawks fan ever since he spent a few years in the states, so that probably influenced me a little.

I'll definitely watch more NFL games this season. Especially when we watch them together it's really fun.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3451 on: 08 Sep 2014, 21:30 »

So this happened.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/video-appears-show-rice-striking-142710725--nfl.html

Up until now I've been acting under the assumption that she fainted.  That's called not being racist.  :angel:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3452 on: 09 Sep 2014, 06:34 »

And he has since been handed his release by the Ravens.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #3453 on: 09 Sep 2014, 07:13 »

Banned from playing in the NFL. Awesome. Now, to regain some goodwill, the NFL had better keep him out of the game for ever.

Fucking hell. I have the Ravens on FB and they just announced that they'll do a Ray Rice jersey exchange ... cue hundreds of comments sticking up for 'their boy', who should not be 'judged on just one moment.'
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2014, 07:28 by BeoPuppy »
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3454 on: 09 Sep 2014, 18:38 »

Nobody has an ethical problem with terminating an employee for reasons that have nothing to do with his job?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3455 on: 09 Sep 2014, 19:03 »

Like it or not, he represents both his team, and the NFL as a whole as long as he's in their employ, and is a bit of a public figure to boot.  So there is a PR part of his "job" both on the field, and off.  Something like this, without termination, and perhaps a lifetime ban would basically tell the public that the Ravens, and the NFL as a whole support domestic abuse.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3456 on: 09 Sep 2014, 20:57 »

I'm still disappointed Mike Vick has a career.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3457 on: 09 Sep 2014, 21:54 »

As am I.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3458 on: 09 Sep 2014, 22:43 »

As a sportsman you have to be a role model for the children at home ...

That sentence nearly made me puke. Anyway, you can't make the NFL look bad as a corporation and think you can get away with it.
My Art.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #3459 on: 09 Sep 2014, 23:14 »

Nobody has an ethical problem with terminating an employee for reasons that have nothing to do with his job?

There's a bit more to it than that though. As hedgie points out, being in a very public industry means that you can expect to be held to higher standards. Not only that, there's likely to be a clause in their contract that demands that you not bring the sport into disrepute. I work in a local government and, even without such a clause, there are a number of crimes and other actions completely unrelated to the work that I do that would see me fired. Even in the public sector, there's a fair few non-custodial crimes that are likely to see your employer reconsider your continued employment status.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #3460 on: 10 Sep 2014, 00:05 »

I'm certainly not in the public eye and my "contract" (as a student, I don't technically have one, but the same will apply when I qualify) contains a good character clause. If I do anything that shows me to be of poor character, which domestic abuse would definitely be considered to be, I would be thrown off the course and debarred from ever working as a midwife.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3461 on: 10 Sep 2014, 05:48 »

In other news, Bob Suter - Miracle On Ice defenseman, University of Wisconsin stand-out, and father to a lying, greedy, traitorous SOB NHL Defenseman Ryan, passed away yesterday at the young age of 57.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #3462 on: 10 Sep 2014, 06:18 »

Committing a possible felony will get you fired in most jobs honestly.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3463 on: 10 Sep 2014, 07:12 »

Can be tricky if the victim is unwilling to support action/prosecution against the perpetrator which appears to be situation in this case.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3464 on: 10 Sep 2014, 07:57 »

Out of interest, roughly where would you draw the line on this one?

For instance, in the UK we have Ched Evans, a football player for the team Sheffield United who is a convicted rapist. Despite continuing to protest his innocence, he is expected to rejoin his team when he is released from prison shortly. Then there's the whole Ray Rice thing that has resulted in a lifetime ban. And consider the whole litany of football players in the UK who have convictions for drink driving, including Luke McCormick who killed two people whilst driving under the influence, all of which have returned to the sport full-time.

Is there anything outside of a player's sport that you feel would merit a termination of their job or a ban by the governing authority?

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #3465 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:42 »

Plus Ray Lewis was convicted of murder?  Manslaughter?  and later returned to the NFL.

There's nothing preventing Ray Rice from applying to be reinstated later on.  The reaction in this case was very much a PR move.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #3466 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:59 »

Nope.

Two weeks into the trial Lewis's attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, negotiated a plea agreement with the District Attorney where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.

Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Mayweather,_Jr.#Legal_issues

This guy, on the other hand should be out of a job.
My Art.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3467 on: 10 Sep 2014, 19:05 »

Out of interest, roughly where would you draw the line on this one?

Is there anything outside of a player's sport that you feel would merit a termination of their job or a ban by the governing authority?

I don't think anything a player does away from one's sport that should merit termination.  To go further, I think employers should have an obligation to rehire felons after they're released from prison.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3468 on: 10 Sep 2014, 19:56 »

Can be tricky if the victim is unwilling to support action/prosecution against the perpetrator which appears to be situation in this case.
Clearly a match made in Stockholm.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #3469 on: 12 Sep 2014, 02:35 »

I assume we're talking about Ray Rice. I'll relay a personal anecdote. A fellow coworker of mine is on the chopping block because of an incident where he represented the company name while attempting to start a fight at the bar I moonlight at. Rice is constantly a representative of the NFL, and committed a pretty high profile crime. I fail to see a distinction between the two. My coworker is small time, Rice is nationally televised every time he takes the field. Where is the line?

Sent from my Spacephone using Tapatalk
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3470 on: 12 Sep 2014, 03:22 »

To go further, I think employers should have an obligation to rehire felons after they're released from prison.

I think this wold be very difficult. For any custodial sentance longer than a month it would be reasonable to expect an employer to have filled that position. Even with signing and transfer windows in sports, expecting a team to hold a position open for a long period of time isn't reasonable. I can't imagine any company or team that wouldn't fill that position or place on the roster as soon as they are able to. Expecting them to then rehire the offender is basically punishing the company for the crimes of the employee.

I'll propose this parallel scenario for you. Imagine that both a teacher and a sportsperson are convicted of child molestation crimes. Even after imprisonment and rehabilitative programmes we know that they will pose a high risk to children in the future. Both professions would put them in the position of access to children, particularly ones that are vulnerable to exploitation. Would you really expect the school or the sports team to rehire these people on release from prison and, if so, why?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3471 on: 12 Sep 2014, 07:02 »

The NFL's mindset right now isn't "oh, we don't want him to be in contact with children." It's "This will TARNISH the IMAGE of the SHIELD!"

I'd almost go as far as to say that may have been the REAL reason why Michael Sam is sitting on the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad. The League wants to "appear" concerned about problems, but not actually have to DO anything about them.

Just another Joe like 46

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3472 on: 12 Sep 2014, 19:01 »

I assume we're talking about Ray Rice. I'll relay a personal anecdote. A fellow coworker of mine is on the chopping block because of an incident where he represented the company name while attempting to start a fight at the bar I moonlight at. Rice is constantly a representative of the NFL, and committed a pretty high profile crime. I fail to see a distinction between the two. My coworker is small time, Rice is nationally televised every time he takes the field. Where is the line?

I need more information:  in what capacity was he representing the company?

To go further, I think employers should have an obligation to rehire felons after they're released from prison.

I'll propose this parallel scenario for you. Imagine that both a teacher and a sportsperson are convicted of child molestation crimes. Even after imprisonment and rehabilitative programmes we know that they will pose a high risk to children in the future. Both professions would put them in the position of access to children, particularly ones that are vulnerable to exploitation. Would you really expect the school or the sports team to rehire these people on release from prison and, if so, why?

This is a false analogy.  A teacher's job depends on them being able to not molest children, an athlete wouldn't run slower for lacking this skill.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3473 on: 12 Sep 2014, 21:24 »

Quote from: Twitter
Women who are wearing Ray Rice's jersey deserve to be punched in the face. Repeatedly.

Did you feel that?  The Internet just hit a new level of stupid.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3474 on: 14 Sep 2014, 03:09 »

I need more information:  in what capacity was he representing the company?

Literally shouting that we work for (insert company name here) and saying that that gives us the expertise to tell the bartender/owner he's doing a shitty job of running the place.

Ray Rice shouts that he works for the Baltimore Ravens and the NFL every time he dons the jersey, which shows both of their logos on it, and one of the things about working in professional sports is that you don't stop representing those organizations just because you're off the field. Your face, name, number, and affiliations are going to be noticed by sports fans wherever you go in public.

Also, tapatalk is a pain in the ass and I can't figure out how to quote another post, but I'll refer to the one that said the NFL isn't looking out for public interests, but its own interest in saving face instead. What's so wrong about that? People are going to vote with their wallets, and if staying the course means public outcry and the threat of losing revenue, the necessary changes will happen anyway. Nobody ever accused capitalism of being particularly moral, and that's especially true of the NFL. And I'm not gonna say I agree with the NFL's tacit compliance with assault on the part of their players. But the public is finally beginning to make it clear that this isn't acceptable, and if anything it gives me faith that American society isn't completely fucked. Now, if only politics worked so fluidly...

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3475 on: 14 Sep 2014, 18:35 »

Well if his job is to shout at bartenders, I'm not seeing a problem.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #3476 on: 14 Sep 2014, 18:52 »

Are you being intentionally obtuse? They work at a beer & wine store, not that it really matters for the purposes of the example, though it explains why the guy apparently thinks he has the expertise to act like an asshat.
My company mentions several times in the ethics standards about doing anything that would hurt the company's reputation, with the standard of "would it cause embarrassment if it were reported in the newspaper that an employee of [company] did this?" You don't even have to be representing yourself as an employee or agent of the company at the time (though in our industry, real estate, "agent of" has a particular legal meaning too).
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3477 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:41 »

You're getting paid obtuse amounts of money that few people in this world (actually, just a shade under 1,700) can actually do at any one time, and you do something that not only jeopardizes that, but throws it out the window.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility?
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3478 on: 09 Oct 2014, 15:02 »

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2014, 05:41 by jwhouk »
Just another Joe like 46

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #3479 on: 09 Oct 2014, 19:12 »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3480 on: 22 Oct 2014, 07:40 »

And, as jwhouk mentioned in the blog thread, the Giants are in the World Series. Again. Even number years seem to be our thing, I hope it holds true.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3481 on: 29 Oct 2014, 22:32 »

Someone wanna go grab Patrick's shoelace and tether him to the ground?

Bumgarner just sealed his HOF cred tonight, methinks.
Just another Joe like 46

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3482 on: 06 Dec 2014, 23:56 »

Sometimes I feel sorry for other teams going up against GB in the women's Team Pursuit. If you're not Australia or Canada it seems you just aren't going to make them work that hard.

USA about to get shot

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3483 on: 07 Dec 2014, 00:05 »

So... anyone play sports in college/high school I guess?

Didn't know we had a place to talk about sports here, I assumed everyone hated them, or something.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3484 on: 07 Dec 2014, 02:59 »

I play bike polo at primary school.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3485 on: 07 Dec 2014, 08:18 »

I was an olympic handball player until my team moved from my hometown to Reocín, about 10 miles away. Wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't recently moved 20 miles away to the other side, and I hadn't just started my final year of HS.

Fun sport. Lots of contact.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3486 on: 09 Dec 2014, 16:55 »

The Sharks suck ass this year. And every year, but usually we wait for the postseason...

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3487 on: 09 Dec 2014, 18:33 »

Cam Newton involved in a car accident, rolled over his pickup.

Insert tasteless "drive stopped by a turnover" joke here.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3488 on: 09 Dec 2014, 18:34 »

The Sharks suck ass this year. And every year, but usually we wait for the postseason...

You LOST... to the OILERS????  :-o :roll: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Just another Joe like 46

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3489 on: 11 Dec 2014, 07:34 »

Sometimes I feel sorry for other teams going up against GB in the women's Team Pursuit. If you're not Australia or Canada it seems you just aren't going to make them work that hard.

As high as GB is riding in general in the cycling world these days, Canada still has Clara Hughes, so we win.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3490 on: 11 Dec 2014, 07:39 »

GB has always been a world leader in track cycling tho. They're never an easy opponent.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3491 on: 11 Dec 2014, 07:40 »

Yeah, but I think their road cycling success is only a recent thing?

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3492 on: 11 Dec 2014, 08:35 »

It's more of a recent phenomenon indeed. And it all began on the track. Turns out track cyclists usually make killer sprinters and time attack cyclists. Who would've guessed. Give one of them someone to help him cross mountains and you have a Tour de France winner (Bradley Wiggins, for example).

Chris Froome's polyvalence is not the norm that much, and might come from his african origins (born in Kenya and raised in South Africa iirc). Chances are there are more mountains there than in Great Britain.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3493 on: 11 Dec 2014, 10:18 »

The next trick will be to take your cyclicts, track and road, and turn them into speed skaters (hence my Clara Hughes comment above.)

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #3494 on: 11 Dec 2014, 12:08 »

Actually, it very rarely begins on the track. There's been a few recent pick ups from school sports development programmes straight to track cycling, but most careers start in time trials, cyclocross and mountain biking. There's some influx from grass track cycling but it's a waning sport, much to our loss. All the regional cyclocross and MTB leagues will have racing available from age 8 upwards, sometimes younger. It's a good way to assess a child's aptitude for the sport and competitive riding. It also delivers a pretty rigorous training in bike handling which is always valuable. If you're looking for sprinters and fighters, it starts here. TTs start at 12 (CTT regulations) which have always been good for showing who has that built in power capability. From there, if there's local access, it's junior road race leagues.

The track just coalesces any skills and talents and then builds on them. By the time the riders get there, it's usually pretty clear who the sprinters and pursuiters are. It's a very good development arena though. You're in a closed environment every day under very close scrutiny of your sports managers with an almost competitive amount of discipline.

It's interesting though, there's some pro riders out there to who track is a no go area. They've got all the qualities of strength, power, focus, discipline, handling but something about the boards doesn't work for them. I've even seen really competent riders who ride fixed wheel bikes who ride all over the place and happily blast around city traffic with no real worries. But as soon as they hit the boards, the brain just has a really big nope moment and refuses to play.

Speed skating would be a lot more exciting if they bought in keirans, madisons and omniums.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3495 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:28 »

Speed Skating. That is the one sport I wish I could have taken up, even just as a hobby.  Dummy me never tried, though.
Just another Joe like 46

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3496 on: 11 Dec 2014, 13:43 »

I've only played traditional American sports (by that I mean football, soccer, baseball, basketball) so I have no idea how any others would even feel. Plus, when you play football, that pretty much takes up your life. I do wish I played Rugby in college instead of football though. That looks fun.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3497 on: 12 Dec 2014, 05:47 »

Speed Skating. That is the one sport I wish I could have taken up, even just as a hobby.  Dummy me never tried, though.

My sister did a year of short track, right before she got pregnant iirc.  I think she really enjoyed it.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #3498 on: 13 Dec 2014, 08:26 »

I have one question about fixed gear bikes. Why! Why is this a thing! Those things are friggin death traps.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3499 on: 13 Dec 2014, 09:28 »

They're actually the only thing that's allowed on the rules of track cycling iirc.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 76   Go Up