THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 00:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Couch to 5K Accountability Thread  (Read 70492 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Couch to 5K Accountability Thread
« on: 18 May 2012, 01:36 »

Sorry, I am not inventive enough to make up an exciting name.

OK so this is what we're doing. Join us! There are several different downloadable podcasts on that page to keep you motivated and give you some music to run to.

Dog owners, try Pooch to 5k. And if you get your dog a little running vest, please post photos.

I'm starting this on Monday morning either at 7am or at 8am if I go to church. I've downloaded my podcasts, bought some jogging bottoms and psyched myself up. My schedule will be Monday, Wednesday and Saturday mornings.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2012, 02:20 by pwhodges »
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
Re: Couch to 5K Accountability Thread
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2012, 01:54 »

link broken - you've written http// instead of http://

Maybe if I hadn't been in cram mode for exams, but right now, thar is not enough time!
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2012, 03:09 »

I'll read up on it. I'll want to have a go.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2012, 04:55 »

I think this did it for me :) I like podcasts and stuff to help know when to run/walk!
http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

Edit: I will start on saturday or friday evening.

edit: though... the music is terrible.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2012, 04:57 »

Thanks for fixing that, Paul.

Snalin, I know how you feel - I'm in exam mode too, they start in ten days, but I decided to make my day more productive by getting up an hour and a half earlier, and going to bed an hour and a half to two hours earlier. Those last two hours of the day never, ever get used productively - I sit on the internet wasting time until well after midnight and then wonder why I'm tired. So now I'm aiming for bed at more like 10.30, getting up at 6.30 (when I would otherwise be sleeping) and ta da, suddenly I can do more things without cutting anything out.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2012, 06:59 »

edit: though... the music is terrible.

I could probably get over it, although it's not quite as hard as I like my running music. This site has a music-free version so you can run to silence or add your own tracks in a music editing program. I used to have Adobe Audition and I really enjoyed using that, but I don't remember where the disk is and don't feel like shelling out more money for a new copy. I just found Audacity so I might give that a try.

If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2012, 07:23 »

A thought: Are there any charting tools available on the forum permitting us to, at a minimum, check off our weekly participation? Would the poll mechanism or some other work for this? Would this reveal more about each of us than we might prefer?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2012, 07:50 »

I could probably get over it, although it's not quite as hard as I like my running music. This site has a music-free version so you can run to silence or add your own tracks in a music editing program. I used to have Adobe Audition and I really enjoyed using that, but I don't remember where the disk is and don't feel like shelling out more money for a new copy. I just found Audacity so I might give that a try.

I am going to use this one, I think, and add some music with decent tempos to it or just find an album of similar length and put it over that. Shouldn't be too hard in Garage Band...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2012, 08:17 »

A thought: Are there any charting tools available on the forum permitting us to, at a minimum, check off our weekly participation? Would the poll mechanism or some other work for this? Would this reveal more about each of us than we might prefer?

Chart off your participation here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozrBvNXfeOndEVHNk1tbnoxZnFVQlNZdTJzYkVNelE#gid=0

Player 1, the preview explains it all. Green is run, black is to run, the week player 1 is in is week 2. He has run the first day of week 2.

Have fun :)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2012, 11:06 »

I use sports-tracker. Requires (?) a smartphone (or whatnot) with a GPS-receiver. You can upload your exercises to your account on the site, review the workouts on google maps, share them with your facebook friends and all that. If you are of the techie type, you can also collect data from a compatible heart rate monitor.

[Edited the link. Hopefully this leads to a better starting point.]
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 02:03 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2012, 11:52 »

I think it would provide everyone a bit more extra motivation if you all signed up for 5k's a few months from now. Nothing like an upcoming race to keep you motivated.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2012, 11:56 »

Chart off your participation here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozrBvNXfeOndEVHNk1tbnoxZnFVQlNZdTJzYkVNelE#gid=0
Player 1, the preview explains it all. Green is run, black is to run, the week player 1 is in is week 2. He has run the first day of week 2.
I'd wondered if we could keep it in the forum, but this'll work if others are interested. Thanks! And fun? The best part of it is the feeling when it's over, IIRC.

I use sports-tracker. Requires (?) a smartphone (or whatnot) with a GPS-receiver. You can upload your exercises to your account on the site, review the workouts on google maps, share them with your facebook friends and all that. If you are of the techie type, you can also collect data from a compatible heart rate monitor.
I've used a Polar HRM in recent years, and for other things, own a handheld GPS. The iPhone has the potential to converge those uses, but the sticking point for me was the requirement for a dongle on the iPhone to connect to the HRM belt. Haven't checked the state of the art for a few months.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2012, 12:03 »

I think it would provide everyone a bit more extra motivation if you all signed up for 5k's a few months from now. Nothing like an upcoming race to keep you motivated.
If we all get through this and graduate, maybe the same 5k? Considering the roster so far, an event not far from the Channel?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2012, 18:42 »

If you don't like the music on the podcasts and have a smartphone, it looks like there are several C25K coaching apps out there that let you play your own music in the background. The official one is paid and published by The Active Network but there are lots of other versions too.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2012, 18:46 »

I intend to check them out. I may not care for the offered music, but for exercise's sake, tempo and energy might be more important than whether I like it or not.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #15 on: 18 May 2012, 22:42 »

I've used a Polar HRM in recent years, and for other things, own a handheld GPS. The iPhone has the potential to converge those uses, but the sticking point for me was the requirement for a dongle on the iPhone to connect to the HRM belt. Haven't checked the state of the art for a few months.
It is possible to connect a smartphone to a HRM via Bluetooth. ST's own HRM apparently is not compatible with iPhone (not a concern for me, as I'm using an "oldish" device running on Symbian) nor Windows phone (may become a concern when I upgrade), don't know about Polar HRM. Hmm.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 01:54 by Skewbrow »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2012, 01:12 »

I don't have a smartphone, so it would be good if we could use a tracking system that is either multi-platform, or web-based.

For personal accountability I'm going to print out a chart with Mon-Wed-Sat spaces to check off, plus Wednesday weigh-ins (Wednesday is the day I was weighed at the doctors last week so it just made sense to go with that). Then I've got a visual motivator over my desk if I'm thinking about being lazy!

Bit concerned that my jogging bottoms haven't arrived but maybe they'll get here today.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2012, 04:07 »

I don't have a smartphone, so it would be good if we could use a tracking system that is either multi-platform, or web-based.
For a group chart, DrPhibes' will do quite well. It's an anyone-can-edit spreadsheet, although I hope that means you have to be signed in and your edits are tracked. Take a look at it.

nobo

« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2012, 06:13 »

a tracking system that is web-based.

Try Map My Run. It has a pretty intuitive interface that allows you to map out a run. It gives you options to follow roads and do loops and all that.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 09:14 by nobo »
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2012, 07:33 »

That looks useful, thanks Nobo! My nearest park is frustratingly not shaped for nice circular 1km runs but I think I can cope with that!

I wasn't signed in when I edited the spreadsheet, maybe we need to look into that? Although I doubt anyone will bother sabotaging it.

My jogging bottoms and weighing scales have arrived, although not my headphones - but I can use my old, not very good ones for the first morning. I bought a sports bra and goodness me it makes a difference to have a well-fitting one. Did consider some new trainers but then I remembered I have some that I've never worn (really don't like how they look, but they fit fine) so I'll use those until I'm definitely sure I'm going to keep running long enough to justify spending £20 on new ones. Basically I'm all set!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2012, 08:09 »

I couldn't get Nobo's link to open. Guess I would need to set up an account or something? For comparison I made my latest orienteering practice on ST public. Here's the link. It works on a browser that doesn't (shouldn't?) have my login credentials, so hopefully it works for you as well.

Edit: I did get Nobo's link to work, but only by opening it to a new tab. Otherwise "dot com" was left out from the address, so no wonder it didn't work. And, yup, orienteering is an off-road activity :-)

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2012, 08:13 »

I've made the spreadsheet open to all so anyone can edit ANYTHING. You don't need to have a google login because I don't like pushing google accounts on people.
Also, i just made a few quick changes to the look and the order :) I added comments! Though I might delete them... they seem irritating already :X
I updated the first row now called: Preset-guy, copy paste his week, 1 run, 2 runs or all runs to indicate how far you are that week. He's easy to copy paste from :P

I've given everyone a comment box for their week to also indicate how much they have done or what the troubles you had.

I don't have a good phone or anything that can track my run accept put it into google myself.
Map My Run does work pretty well :) Though I should start mapping some myself.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2012, 08:39 »

Awesome!

I was going to wait until June to start but maybe I'll start next week. I think I'll have time on MWF...so...we shall see!

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #23 on: 19 May 2012, 08:41 »

Dunno what's wrong. Every time I click DrPhibes' link I get redirected to https://accounts.google.com. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

nobo

« Reply #24 on: 19 May 2012, 09:22 »

Otherwise "dot com" was left out from the address, so no wonder it didn't work.

I'm an idiot, I'm sorry. :)

Dude is hardcore.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2012, 14:55 »

First run tomorrow morning! Got my running gear (minus the headphones - my old, not very good and not very comfortable ones will have to do) and my route, my podcast and my motivation. Now to get some sleep! Wish me luck, gang.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2012, 15:37 »

Good luck, and don't forget to write!

Or post.

Or chart.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #27 on: 21 May 2012, 00:11 »

Did it! I actually enjoyed it, although my earbuds kept falling out - I hope my new ones arrive before Wednesday. Achey now but feeling good. The walk-run thing worked well, I didn't feel tempted to stop at all except on the very last run when he said "only twenty more seconds". It was the first time he'd spoken mid-run and it threw me, but I kept going when I realised he wasn't saying stop.

Got to work out a more sensible route though, I went all over the place and ended up with a ten minute cool-down walk to get home.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #28 on: 21 May 2012, 03:49 »

Skewbrow try this link as last resort: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AozrBvNXfeOndEVHNk1tbnoxZnFVQlNZdTJzYkVNelE

I've changed the settings to:
Sharing settings: Link to share (allows editing)

Who has access: Anyone who has the link can edit Change...   
Robert Dorigo (you) [email protected] Is owner   

Editors will be allowed to add people and change the permissions.Only the owner can change the permissions.Editors can add people and change the permissions on some of your items.[Change]You have made changes that you need to save.Save changes

Sharing settings
Visibility options:
Anyone with the linkAnyone who has the link can access. No sign-in required.
Edit access: Allow anyone to edit (no sign-in required)

Nice running so far :) I'm gonna run tonight!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 21 May 2012, 03:52 »

I'm just checking I'm not somehow looking at an old sheet, am I the only one who's run yet?

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #30 on: 21 May 2012, 04:40 »

Yep barrymoo, you are the only one, Linds has run but has not updated the information sheet.

The link you have is correct, my name is now red :)

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #31 on: 21 May 2012, 05:23 »

Think of yourself as a starter pistol, for the project and today's run. Mine went surprisingly easy, but I've been walking for a couple of weeks, and spent quite a few days in February and March walking. I was concerned at heart rate. The monitor said it shot up to 165 or so, but quickly backed down to the low 120s, and never went above 120 in later run segments. How's your new gear working out? And remind me what app you're using. I used a free app tied to a breast cancer nonprofit, and the track is silent except for change of pace, halfway and nearing-end announcements. That's not all bad. In the countryside, I get to hear birds if I take the trouble to listen.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #32 on: 21 May 2012, 05:42 »

The jogging bottoms are quite large - right length but baggy, but that's no problem really. Big pockets! Which means my MP3 player isn't escaping.

I've downloaded Robert Ullrey's podcasts which play music and tell you what to do, but don't monitor anything because it's just an MP3. Which means that I don't actually know exactly what my calorie burn rate is, but MyFitnessPal is all estimates anyway. I have discovered that just by going on this run, my calorie intake has to be a lot higher today. Not sure how to get all the calories I need without eating too much fat.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #33 on: 21 May 2012, 06:11 »

Lower the calorie density? I often use veggies in place of, say pasta or bread at midday, i.e., pouring a prepared pasta sauce -- in my case, from my Michigan supermarket, something like Prego's tomato-based Italian sausage and garlic poured over a defrosted vegetable mix. But I don't think I burned that many calories today.
I have a hard time using front pockets in pants when I run; an iPhone or a set of keys would bump against my leg, unpleasantly. So I clip the iPhone on my belt and if I'm taking keys -- I don't out on this rural dead-end road -- I often put them in a back pocket for walking/running.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #34 on: 21 May 2012, 06:44 »

I need to increase the calorie density! I've put my planned meals plus all today's exercise into the food diary, and it's still saying I need to eat another 215 calories (that's after the 200 calorie deficit has been taken off my base rate). Breakfast was toast with peanut butter, lunch was couscous and a salad wrap with cheese, dinner will be spaghetti with garlic-fried spinach, and I've got two boiled eggs and a whole load of radishes as snacks. Might add some mushrooms to the spinach but even that doesn't get my calories up much.

I wouldn't worry about it, but people keep telling me that I need to eat the recommended calories or my body goes into "starvation mode". Other people say this is a myth. Can anyone clarify?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #35 on: 21 May 2012, 06:56 »

How far did your run end up taking you? I'm trying to plot a route around the neighborhood that won't leave me a mile from home when I finish. I usually average about 3.5mi/hr when I walk the dog, but I have no idea what jogging would do to that. Plus I think I'll be running alone today, because it's raining, and a certain big scary dog is considerably less scary when faced with the prospect of getting his feet wet.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #36 on: 21 May 2012, 07:01 »

I ran in loops - first round the edge of a small park, then along a track next to the river which looped round into the back of the village. Then through the village and back onto the park, round the other side of the park and across the river for a bit, before looping back round to the road at the side of the park to get back to my college. Basically it was a big tangle of loops, never more than 1km away from home.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #37 on: 21 May 2012, 07:06 »

You could always supplement with some more protein- there are some protein bars that actually don't taste like ass and there are also powders that you can mix into shakes. They typically bump up your calories but give you good stuff instead of bad stuff.

But....I don't know if I believe that cutting out 200 calories will engage that whole Starvation Mode thing. I always thought that was brought on by a severe change in diet (like.....a decrease of 1,000 calories or more). Anyone else have any insight? I'm curious as well.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #38 on: 21 May 2012, 07:30 »

Don't want to start by procrastinating but I'll be starting as soon as my school year is over. Too many deadlines right now but if I find a couple hours, I'll be in the gym getting ready as soon as I can.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #39 on: 21 May 2012, 07:56 »

Yep barrymoo, you are the only one, Linds has run but has not updated the information sheet.

I haven't run yet! I am holding off until June to start. When I won't be freaking out about how my time should be spent doing work on my thesis. I thought about starting today, but I know I'll spend the whole time freaking out about how I should be working. So I'll be a few weeks behind everyone, but I will do it!

nobo

« Reply #40 on: 21 May 2012, 09:23 »

there are also powders that you can mix into shakes.

Costco has an enormous 6 lb bag of protein powder that tastes like a delicious milkshake when you mix it up. Muscle Milk is another tasty one.

I signed my sister and myself up for the Warrior Dash at the end of July, so I'm joining you guys in a running regiment.

Dude is hardcore.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #41 on: 21 May 2012, 09:29 »

I haven't run yet! I am holding off until June to start. When I won't be freaking out about how my time should be spent doing work on my thesis. I thought about starting today, but I know I'll spend the whole time freaking out about how I should be working. So I'll be a few weeks behind everyone, but I will do it!
There's a possibility that the 1 1/2 hours a week will clear your head and unjangle your nerves.

How far did your run end up taking you? I'm trying to plot a route around the neighborhood that won't leave me a mile from home when I finish. I usually average about 3.5mi/hr when I walk the dog, but I have no idea what jogging would do to that. Plus I think I'll be running alone today, because it's raining, and a certain big scary dog is considerably less scary when faced with the prospect of getting his feet wet.
As I recall it, the C25K program gives you an option of working by distance or time. Distance requires measurement, maybe GPS, etc., but 5 minutes of this and 60 seconds of that means you can simply use a watch, second hand not required, and head back when your half hour is half done. I used a C25K track in the iphone that told me when to walk and when to run, and also told me when I was halfway done. Since I was walking along a dead-end road, I simply turned around at the halfway point. I also walk at about 3.5 mph, and from my jogging memory, I may increase to 4.5-5mph. My feet at this point don't entirely leave the road; a shuffle jog, which I'm OK with for now.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #42 on: 21 May 2012, 09:30 »

I don't know why 'm still reading this thread, but...  I did do a little research on starvation mode. 

Your body doesn't go there until you're below 50% of caloric intake (so the 1000 or so was pretty closse).  200 calories shy won't do it. 

Also, though the metabolism is slowed in starvation mode, it's not enough to offset the caloric defeicit; a 50% reduction in calories will give about a 10% reduction in metabolism - and you're still about 40% short, and losing weight!  You'll still lose weight until you're down to about 5% body fat, then the body takes more drastic measures to preserve itself. 

Also, if you've got more fat, you'll burn more fat than lean tissue.  The metabolic regulation takes care of that.  If you're already lean, you can lose a lot of lean tissue in starvation mode.  But not if you're "well stocked" in reserved fat (read: obese). 

Here's a link that summarised things nicely; http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/weight-loss/truth-starvation-mode
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zingoleb

« Reply #43 on: 21 May 2012, 14:02 »

I don't know why 'm still reading this thread, but...  I did do a little research on starvation mode. 

Your body doesn't go there until you're below 50% of caloric intake (so the 1000 or so was pretty closse).  200 calories shy won't do it. 

I've done research into this, too, and realised that I was actually getting maybe 20-30% of the calories I was needing per day. Which explains why, when I was adding a tub of ice cream into my daily diet every day for a few months straight about a year ago, I actually lost 30 pounds or so. (The first 80 pounds were easy. It's the last twenty that are killing me!)

nobo

« Reply #44 on: 21 May 2012, 14:20 »

When you embark on any weight loss journey it is common knowledge that at 80% of the way to your goal your body says "wait a minute, fuck you!". I'm down 40-45ish from my peak and still want that last 10-15 lbs. I will get a six pack goddammit.

Dude is hardcore.

Zingoleb

« Reply #45 on: 21 May 2012, 14:26 »

I just want my bust under 40 inches. Do you realise how hard it is to find decent clothes when your waist is 30 inches and your bust is 42? They don't make things in my size, ever. Ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh, ugh.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #46 on: 21 May 2012, 14:27 »

Learn to sew and take in clothes! That's really the only way you're going to get clothes to fit you when you have a larger bust and tiny waist.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #47 on: 22 May 2012, 00:09 »

My legs hurt.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #48 on: 22 May 2012, 03:39 »

My legs hurt.
Rest? Or walk it off?

I didn't answer your question: Monday took me just about 1 1/2 miles.

nobo

« Reply #49 on: 22 May 2012, 06:04 »

Pain is just weakness exiting the body.

Dude is hardcore.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up