THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 15:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Couch to 5K Accountability Thread  (Read 70475 times)

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
Re: Couch to 5K Accountability Thread
« Reply #100 on: 25 May 2012, 19:11 »

Just back from run 2 :) My sister-in-law is a better running partner than my dog, we averaged 4mph. We're going to meet up again on Tuesday.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #101 on: 26 May 2012, 00:22 »

Just got back from the end of week one :) I could tell I hadn't run for two days, but it was fine. New trainers and earphones are much better.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #102 on: 26 May 2012, 05:10 »

Good for all who've started this adventure. I count 13 runs posted to the chart. Is that missing anyone?

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #103 on: 26 May 2012, 19:18 »

Now there are 16! Go us!  :-D
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #104 on: 27 May 2012, 01:03 »

Very good!
Patrick's over on the blogging thread trying to quit smoking. I wonder if it's possible to create a challenge/support group for smokers.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #105 on: 27 May 2012, 02:07 »

[...] a challenge/support group for smokers.
As in: how much can you smoke before you pass out?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #106 on: 27 May 2012, 04:17 »

That actually might work.

Zebulon

« Reply #107 on: 27 May 2012, 05:43 »

Hello!

I saw that some were trying to find a place to record everything.  I tried to read all the posts to see if anyone had mentioned http://www.fitocracy.com/ yet.

I didn't see any links to it, or maybe I missed it.  If so, sorry.  I use Fitocracy to track all of my bike rides.  It's kind of an RPG + Fitness.  You get experience for all your workouts, and there are quests, pvp, etc.  They also do really well with support groups!  I know there is a Couch to 5k group.  I've been a big fan of the site.  It also helps with accountability because everyone can see if you start to slack.  It's integrated with Runkeeper or something like that, so you can auto track and submit your runs. 

Don't mean to be advertising and all that, but this site has really helped me out.  I like seeing all my progress in numbers.  Also leveling up is kind of cool.

Just checked, there's a QC group.  But it only has 4 members.  :(
« Last Edit: 27 May 2012, 05:49 by Zebulon »

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #109 on: 27 May 2012, 09:34 »

It was about 80 F outside when I went for my run today. Made it to about 50% of my goal before I  had to start doing walk/jog intervals. It is going to take a while to get accustomed to the heat.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #110 on: 28 May 2012, 04:09 »

I just did the first run of week 2, and it was harder going. I'm not sure if that's because it was more running, or because it was warmer, or what. I got masses of sleep last night - lay down for a nap at 8pm, lay snoozing but awake for two hours, and then decided to go to bed properly by 10.30pm - so I wasn't tired, but I guess I might have been hungry. Anyway my legs are already feeling more defined and my feet have stopped bleeding thanks to the new shoes.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #111 on: 28 May 2012, 04:49 »

There wasn't a lot of difference in the running, but it was 70F and more humid. Flies were buzzing my bald head and one tried to bite my arm. I might have to take countermeasures, but I don't want to wear a tilly in that temp and humidity. Apparently my legs and wind are OK, and I wear running shoes much of the time anyway. May, did you start out with blisters on your feet? Have you ever used moleskin to protect "hot spots" on your feet -- padded adhesive? When my wife and I hiked with boots that took quite a few hours to break in, it was effective at preventing blisters, and on a three-day hike, prevention was crucial to enjoyment.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #112 on: 28 May 2012, 05:37 »

I got the blisters on the first day, because my trainers were so awful (I knew they were bad, I'd already picked out replacements but I hadn't bought them just in case the old ones turned out to be ok). I cut and drained them, and wore plasters for the next couple of days whenever I wore shoes, but they still bled the next time I ran - in the new trainers this time, and no new blisters arrived. Thankfully they've now healed so there are just some scabs from where the drained blisters bled. I've never put anything on as a preventative because I always forget that I'm likely to get blisters, or don't even realise until it's too late, but once I've had one I try to avoid getting them again.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #113 on: 28 May 2012, 06:06 »

Recognizing a "hot spot" on the foot was the key to prevention. As I recall, it literally felt warm. On a trail, that called for an immediate halt for a moleskin application.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #114 on: 28 May 2012, 06:25 »

Oh that makes sense, I guess it's the friction which both causes the warmth and the blister. I just need to be more prepared really, and carry plasters with me to places. And not wear shoes which I know will be uncomfortable...

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #115 on: 29 May 2012, 07:43 »

I've never tried it but I've also heard that liquid bandage stuff tends to work pretty well as a preventive measure. I've heard it burns like crazy on ones that already exist though.

This is going to be a tough week for me since I'll only be home one day....going away tonight, coming home Thursday evening, leaving again Friday morning and coming back Sunday. I'm aiming for running 3 times, but I'll be content if I only squeeze in 2.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #116 on: 29 May 2012, 18:30 »

Run three has been postponed due to an almost-rational fear of drowning. We lost power about an hour and a half ago and it's still raining pretty good.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #117 on: 29 May 2012, 18:45 »

Swimming's a lot easier on the joints.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #118 on: 30 May 2012, 00:20 »

I've gained half a kilo and lost 3cm round my waist. I think I'm pleased.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #119 on: 30 May 2012, 04:30 »

Perfect weather for jogging this morning. Sun low in the sky, temp 55F, cool at first in a T-shirt, but warmed into it. Looks like Friday's will be equally nice. But I know they won't all be for the seven weeks to follow. My weight's down about five pounds, as much watching what I eat as exercise. But the only thing worth measuring is my pot belly, and I refuse to do that. If it shrinks, friends will probably ask me if I've been losing weight. I suppose if they were close friends, they'd know, right?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #120 on: 30 May 2012, 04:38 »

I didn't run this morning because of my exam, but I'm going to go tomorrow morning. I've no longer got to choose between running and morning prayer, because morning prayer has annoyingly been moved to an hour later. Which means I can do both, especially once exams are over, but also means my early morning starts are going to be entirely self-motivated now.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #122 on: 30 May 2012, 14:05 »

Who would have thought they could run fast enough to be a worry?

And Barmy, the self-motivated starts are the best ones. But you know that. Other motivators: The 3 cm and that weight gain in your running muscles. And the rest of us.

The physician's assistant I saw today (for what she thinks is carpal tunnel syndrome; I'm not so sure) was suitably impressed that I was starting on the C25K. She's heard of it, and seemed half inclined to try it herself. I think that's part of why I'm doing it: For bragging rights. Whatever works.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #123 on: 30 May 2012, 14:49 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #124 on: 30 May 2012, 16:47 »

Some more motivation.

Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #125 on: 30 May 2012, 17:06 »

I had just heard a health report that we start losing about 30% of our muscle mass from the age of 50 on to the mid 70's if we're sedentary. 

And that we can keep all of it with just some moderate activity. 

So anyway, the pain in my leg really is a nerve, the deep peroneal nerve that runs along the femur under the muscles and two crossing tendons, which is why, when it gets irritated, I can feel some swelling.  It's a lower branch of the cyatic, which is why it bothers my hip, and it runs to and controls the flexor muscles in the foot, which is why it gets irritated from a long walk. 

But the other day, having forgotten something in the store, I was able to jog from the checkout to the aisle and back, with no bad twinges!  And I'm able to take longer walks with the dogs with less irritation at the end.  I've gone back to taking naproxyn sodium (for my left knee), and that helps some also.  I just don't want to be eating ibuprofins the way I was, 800 mg four times a day for over four months - that stuff messes with your liver after a while. 

So, seven months out from the accident, it's the only thing that hasn't healed yet, but it's definitely getting better.  t will probably be a few more months, maybe up to a year - nerves heal sooo slowly, and I'm over 50 now.  Which brings me back to the start of this post.  As soon as I can, I'm getting up off my ass and starting some kind of program. 

And I hope y'all will hold my feet to the fire! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #126 on: 30 May 2012, 17:30 »

Do you want to add your name to the grid for eventual use, or is that pushin'?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #127 on: 30 May 2012, 17:40 »

....right now, it's pushin'.  But I may try the annual walk/run when I go to the AP reading in 2 weeks.  We'll see how I feel after walking to and from the convention center each day! 

For the last two years I came in 3rd in the men's walking division.  Out of three. 

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #128 on: 30 May 2012, 18:03 »

Just back from run three (and a shower, because Dear Husband claimed he could smell me from upstairs when I came in). I took the dog again, and we did 2.08 miles, avg 14:26 min/mile. Better than my first and second days :) I'm thinking I'm going to do the week 1 run at least once more before I move up to week 2, in hopes of not feeling pukey 3/4 of the way through. I need to work out a route that doesn't make me run up every hill both ways.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #129 on: 31 May 2012, 00:03 »

I need to work out a route that doesn't make me run up every hill both ways.

You shouldn't go via Escher Road.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #130 on: 31 May 2012, 04:49 »

I haven't run my second run this week, although I might possibly go this evening. The stupid thing is that the reason I'm resisting the idea of going at any other time than 7am is that I don't want my friend who runs to see me. She might see me from her window as I go out, or I might bump into her as I run. It's pathetic but I'm not telling her about running until I am a bit better at it. I can't work out why it's bothering me so much but it is.

Anyway, I could always run on different days now anyway - since morning prayer has been moved, there's no reason it has to be on those days. So perhaps I'll go tomorrow, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday or something.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #131 on: 31 May 2012, 05:06 »

I need to work out a route that doesn't make me run up every hill both ways.

You shouldn't go via Escher Road.

Yeah I wouldn't have guessed it but apparently my elevation went like this:

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #132 on: 31 May 2012, 06:47 »

Anyway, I could always run on different days now anyway - since morning prayer has been moved, there's no reason it has to be on those days. So perhaps I'll go tomorrow, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday or something.
Whatever works for you. Hope you don't fall behind. I think I read on the c25k site that the third week is rough for some.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #133 on: 31 May 2012, 07:18 »

It's not so much it being the 3rd week, as it being exam week(s). I don't want to get up at 6.30am on a day with an exam, because I'll be falling asleep at around 11am which is mid-exam. I guess I'm not fully recovered from the fatigue, I need a nap most days.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #134 on: 31 May 2012, 07:41 »

Coffee?  Or really strong tea?  Caffeine can be your friend...

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #135 on: 31 May 2012, 08:40 »

No, I just crash even harder three hours later. I just have to accept that I need more sleep than most people, and not wear myself out. Certainly I don't want to be on a caffiene high during exams, that definitely wouldn't help me think properly! Also, interestingly, caffiene is thought to be a contributor towards fatigue disorders, as in it makes them worse.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #136 on: 31 May 2012, 10:27 »

No, I just crash even harder three hours later. I just have to accept that I need more sleep than most people, and not wear myself out. Certainly I don't want to be on a caffiene high during exams, that definitely wouldn't help me think properly! Also, interestingly, caffiene is thought to be a contributor towards fatigue disorders, as in it makes them worse.
Then take your time. If you bump into your friend, tell her we said hi.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #137 on: 31 May 2012, 11:56 »

It's ok, she's gone to Scotland! Going running this evening. I had decided this before I knew she'd gone away, so I guess that's maybe some maturity showing.

Hmm. Made the foolish decision to eat dinner before going running. Now I have to decide whether to run on a reasonably full stomach, run in the dark, or not run.

ETA: well, I went! I ran an extra two minutes at least, just because I wanted to, and although I did have a tiny twinge I didn't get a proper stitch. Did discover when I got back that my friend is not actually in Scotland yet, but she didn't see me bright red and sweaty. Another friend did though, we chatted for about ten minutes when I was on my five-minute cool down walk. So I definitely cooled down...
« Last Edit: 31 May 2012, 14:04 by Barmymoo »

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #138 on: 31 May 2012, 16:19 »

Good work! I'll run after coffee and a bowl of oatmeal, but not more, and as C25K continues, I might be moved to cut out the cereal.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #139 on: 01 Jun 2012, 13:27 »

Day 3 week 2 this afternoon, putting the iPhone in a Zip-loc against a threat of drizzle. It was harder than the previous 5, breathing harder, and no idea why. I'm using the iPhone app to walk and run by the clock rather than distance. My distance this week from warmup to cooldown is almost exactly 2 miles, and hasn't varied by more than a few yards.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #140 on: 02 Jun 2012, 17:04 »

Have all of you posted your latest runs on the chart?

It would be good to hear from DrlPhibes, Linds, bainidhe_dub, lepetitfromage and Nobo, and Barmymoo if you did a third run for week 2.

There's a row of the chart for Skewbrow as well, entered on spec.

I assume if you delay long enough between runs, you should delay advancing, but I'm certainly not an expert. Youth ought to give you an advantage there.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #141 on: 02 Jun 2012, 18:56 »

Remember...I'm 2 weeks behind you all. My first run will be Monday morning - I will update then! I currently plan on running MWF, but that's because it correlates with my work schedule and I can easily go to the gym* on those days next week. It may change when I get my work schedule for the rest of the summer.

*It has a track. I'm moving shortly and don't really know the area well enough yet to not get lost. :D
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #142 on: 02 Jun 2012, 19:09 »

Naw, I forgot.

Indoor track? I wonder how that would compare with running outdoors. I dislike the treadmills at the fitness center, but it doesn't yet have TV screens. An indoor track might be preferable to that, but I like the freedom and scenery if the weather's OK. Tell us how it goes next week.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #143 on: 02 Jun 2012, 21:07 »

Will do! To be honest, the only running I've done when not chasing a ball has been on a track, so tracks don't bother me. Actually running on a sidewalk will be the adventurous part!
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #144 on: 03 Jun 2012, 02:00 »

I've just done my third run this week. It was probably the hardest so far, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because I woke up feeling sad about my friend's boyfriend having died, maybe because I'm tired (two late nights in a row), maybe because of the weather. Anyway I was proud of myself when I got to the end.

Any idea why my shoulder might be hurting though? It aches all the time, and there's a sharp pain when I inhale. It started during the run.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #145 on: 03 Jun 2012, 03:27 »

Running with tight shoulder muscles? I get told to relax my shoulders all the time and it appears that I tense them unconsciously.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #146 on: 03 Jun 2012, 04:40 »

I thought about that, but I think I hold my arms fairly loose (the podcast guy keeps reminding me to) and doing the shoulder exercises I do for the soreness in my neck and back doesn't help. It's faded now, although it's still there. I'll keep an eye on it.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #147 on: 03 Jun 2012, 06:58 »

I was worried about the difficulty of week 3, so I went out and did it this morning. Not that bad, although I got a little into the first jog, dropped the iPhone and restarted the whole thing. Sunny, 60F, nice breeze.
Against all the forces that can persuade me not to run on a given day is the possibility that when I'm all ready to run, it'll be pouring cats and dogs, or the roads will have iced up, or I'll be really sick. But I give into the negative forces more than the positive ones, I think.
A problem, and a solution: I'm running with a clocked-based app, and I suspect I"m running below a pace that will yield 5k in whatever the allotted time is. Next run I'll put a GPS in my sleeve. In the old days, I was comfortable with 9 and 10 minute miles,  my wife with 10-11 minutes. I suspect mine's more like 12-14.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #148 on: 03 Jun 2012, 07:10 »

Personally I'm not all that bothered about hitting 5k by the end of the 9 weeks. I'm rather hoping that by that point, I'll actively enjoy running and just keep going out and running for fun. If we do decide we're all going to enter a race, then I'd start training a bit more seriously for distance, but for now I just want to get fitter and lose some weight. It's working so far :)

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #149 on: 03 Jun 2012, 07:20 »

Personally I'm not all that bothered about hitting 5k by the end of the 9 weeks. I'm rather hoping that by that point, I'll actively enjoy running and just keep going out and running for fun. If we do decide we're all going to enter a race, then I'd start training a bit more seriously for distance, but for now I just want to get fitter and lose some weight. It's working so far :)
I agree, and I seem to be losing some weight too. Funny to think that we'd all enter local 5K races.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up