THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 13:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Couch to 5K Accountability Thread  (Read 70768 times)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: Couch to 5K Accountability Thread
« Reply #50 on: 22 May 2012, 10:30 »

Erm I have heard that before and it has done absolutely nothing to alter the discomfort of walking down stairs!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #51 on: 22 May 2012, 10:40 »

Get up, move around. It'll probably be worth scheduling a little walking session for the morning after a training session. It'll feel horrible at first but it will get the pain out of your legs much quicker rather than it lingering all day.

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #52 on: 22 May 2012, 11:12 »

Try walking down the stairs backwards. That worked for me after particularly brutal soccer practices in high school.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #53 on: 22 May 2012, 11:29 »

Or take tomorrow off. It's an advantage to doing this 3 days out of 7. See what it feels like in the morning.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #54 on: 22 May 2012, 13:33 »

Had my first run tonight! My first 5 minute walk is down the hill, so back up was nice and steady upwards for the most part!
Went well so far :)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #55 on: 22 May 2012, 13:35 »

I'm feeling less achey this evening. I've been gently stretching thoughout the day, and I think it'll be fine tomorrow. But I definitely need to remember to stretch properly after my cool-down walk and before my shower tomorrow.

Part of the problem is that I ran on Monday morning, then cycled hard on Monday evening. Today I did almost no exercise because I just had a day of revision scheduled. Tomorrow I'm just running. Friday I'm just cycling. Might do some form of strength training as well some mornings - my arms are pretty flabby.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #56 on: 22 May 2012, 17:30 »

Just got back from run 1 :) My phone says I went 1.9 miles and averaged 17:28 per mile. Plus the 0.4 mile to get back home. I took the dog and I ended up kinda dragging him through the jogging so he might stay home from the next one, and we'll just go for regular walks on the days off.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #57 on: 22 May 2012, 17:44 »

Good work! Can you train the dog for more endurance?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #58 on: 22 May 2012, 17:53 »

In theory. The first 2 or 3 weeks of Pooch to 5K are the same as C25K but then it starts getting all wonky in the middle. He kept up but he definitely would have gone slower if I'd let him. He's still all sprawled out panting...

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #59 on: 22 May 2012, 18:10 »

How old?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #60 on: 22 May 2012, 18:25 »

About 5 and a half, 100 pounds. He was out of shape when we adopted him last fall but I started walking him almost every day a few weeks ago. He's fine walking but he gets tired from running pretty fast.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #61 on: 22 May 2012, 18:33 »

Have you tried him with a Frisbee?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #62 on: 22 May 2012, 18:59 »

Be careful as summer comes on - they're nowhere near as efficient at dispersing heat as we are from under that fur coat! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #63 on: 22 May 2012, 20:10 »

D'aww poor puppy. They make cooling bandanas for dogs, maybe one of those would help? (I don't have a dog, so I have no idea if they're effective, but they sound pretty nifty.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #64 on: 22 May 2012, 23:51 »

Be careful as summer comes on - they're nowhere near as efficient at dispersing heat as we are from under that fur coat!

Very true.  Indeed, they don't even have sweat glands where they have fur, so panting is not so much their extreme position as the normal heat loss mechanism, the tongue and lungs being the main heat-exchange areas (the nose and paw pads not amounting to much in comparison).  When they are running, there's also the air-flow through the fur, at least in the less shaggy types.

A bandana would not help, as there is no sweat to wick into it and evaporate to cool it down.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #65 on: 23 May 2012, 00:00 »

Second run complete. I'm buying new trainers today. Five different places where my skin is now gone.

I weighed in this morning before I went running and I've lost 2kg since last week. I think a large part of that will be down to the fact that last week I was weighed after breakfast, and in my clothes and shoes, whereas today I was just in my underwear before breakfast, but I'm still leaving it up as a loss to encourage myself. Also just reviewed my goals on MFP and discovered I'm actually working on a 470 calorie deficit, not a 200 calorie deficit, which I hadn't realised. I'd better be more careful to eat all my daily calories!
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 00:37 by Barmymoo »

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #66 on: 23 May 2012, 02:14 »

I can differ 2kg on about 2 days, so remember to always weigh yourself at the exact same moment under the same conditions.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #67 on: 23 May 2012, 04:29 »

That's the plan from this point onwards - as soon as I get up, after going to the bathroom but before getting dressed or eating. I just used last week's doctor's appointment weight as a starting point.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #68 on: 23 May 2012, 04:40 »

That's my routine.

Truth be told, on the toilet, I sometimes push a little.

TMI

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #69 on: 23 May 2012, 04:54 »

The way I see it, anything that is going to come out isn't actually your weight at all, just the weight of the rubbish you're about to get rid of anyway. You wouldn't weigh yourself carrying a bag of garbage!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #70 on: 23 May 2012, 04:56 »

Gonna do the first workout tomorrow since I have a proper day off, at least until 4pm so loads of time to walk and get work done. Hoping even though my schedule is packed that once I start, I'll find the time.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #71 on: 23 May 2012, 07:14 »

My new headphones arrived! I was a bit dubious because they didn't look like they'd stay in my ears at all, and the bits that hook over my ears looked a weird shape, but I just tried jumping up and down and waving my head around with them in, and they didn't move at all. Splendid. Now just have to buy new trainers and I'm basically sorted.

Glad I decided to run at 7am, because over the next week it's going to gradually get hotter every day. At the moment I'm uncomfortably warm inside with just a t-shirt and jeans on. No way I could run outside at the moment (I'm a wuss about heat, it's only about 20 celcius).

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #72 on: 23 May 2012, 07:35 »

Heat is the worst. Early mornings are good for workouts, because it's cool and I get eaten by mosquitos if I'm outside in the evening.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #73 on: 23 May 2012, 07:37 »

It was 49F when I got up, 58 when I got out, and just beginning to feel warm when I returned. I'd better get used to it and get out closer to getting up, because lows will be in the high 60s some nights coming up, with highs in the mid-90s.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #74 on: 23 May 2012, 10:35 »

I was out of town for a couple days so I could only continue today. 4+K orienteering. I spent 1hr 4minutes (the winner needed 36 minutes, and the last place time was 1hr 42 mins) and placed 72nd out of 93. Several bad news though:
  • I still can't get to DrPhibes' chart - I am always redirected to https://accounts.google.com (does it require cookies?)
  • Sports Tracker crashed after 1.7K (it does that occasionally, when it loses the GPS signal. They need to work on it! I've been told that the Anrdoid version is more stable)
  • This is the worst birch pollen season in 30 years - guess who's allergic to that (medication does help, but doesn't completely get rid of the problem)
  • At about half way in today's race I felt the sharp pain. Looks like the plantar fasciitis from last winter has returned. I limped to the finish line, but it was not fun. A lot of painkillers in the near future. But our main event would be in 3+ weeks  :-( :-(
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 12:46 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #76 on: 23 May 2012, 12:27 »

I think I'm going to go for my first run tonight! There's some residual anxiety from the last running disaster, but I'm determined none the less! I'm going to give it a shot today without my compression sleeves and see if that helps my calves any. I bought new running shoes a few weeks ago, so hopefully that will help too.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #77 on: 23 May 2012, 12:39 »

I think I'm going to go for my first run tonight! There's some residual anxiety from the last running disaster, but I'm determined none the less! I'm going to give it a shot today without my compression sleeves and see if that helps my calves any. I bought new running shoes a few weeks ago, so hopefully that will help too.

You go, girl!

Is that what I'm supposed to say?

Or do I have to be a girl to say that?
« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 12:53 by Redball »

lepetitfromage

« Reply #78 on: 23 May 2012, 16:51 »

hahaha I appreciate the sentiment! And of course you don't have to be a girl to say that  :-)

Oh and.....I did it! WOOOOOOOOO. I almost backed out because I was experiencing some slight nausea, but I decided to just suck it up and go anyway. I did some other stuff around the gym first and felt better after that, so then I wrapped up my gym time with the run. I felt a tinge of discomfort in my ankles (of all things...really?) but other than that everything was ok!

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #79 on: 23 May 2012, 17:30 »

My wife in her 60s avoided getting stodgy and conservative; maybe continuing to teach K-12 helped. She used to address our female cat as "girlfriend." "How're you doin', girlfriend?" I thought it was charming.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #80 on: 23 May 2012, 22:16 »

Looks like the plantar fasciitis from last winter has returned. ... A lot of painkillers in the near future.

There are better ways. 

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #81 on: 24 May 2012, 00:35 »

Thanks, Carl-E! Trying that out as I type this.

To all: Go! Go! Go!

Update: The doc (starting with general practitioner) wasn't sure that it is plantar fasciitis. It may be problem in the bones of the arch of the foot. She gets it x-rayed, and will refer me to a physiotherapist specializing in feet. Walking/limping still hurts. Yesterday I rode my bike to grocery store, and that was waaaayyy comfier than walking. If it is ok, and my feet can handle it, I will do bike rides instead of running. Is 20-25k on bike about the same as 5k running?
« Last Edit: 25 May 2012, 06:08 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #82 on: 24 May 2012, 11:31 »

If you care to keep us up to date on the C25K, we can enter your runs on the spreadsheet, part of a group pat on the back.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #83 on: 24 May 2012, 13:57 »

I WILL run tomorrow morning!
I had to many things to do tonight, for my internship :)

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #84 on: 25 May 2012, 02:16 »

I actually wanted to run this morning - what is this?! Although I didn't, because I decided I needed to sleep in a bit, and when I woke up at 8am it already looked like it was roasting hot outside. Argh. What is this madness, we don't get this kind of weather!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #85 on: 25 May 2012, 02:32 »

You don't remember 1976, obviously.  Blake wouldn't have written "in England's green and pleasant land" that year!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #86 on: 25 May 2012, 03:09 »

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #87 on: 25 May 2012, 03:09 »

I certainly don't remember 1976, and it sounds like I should be glad of that! I am not a fan of summer.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #88 on: 25 May 2012, 04:31 »

We haven't been too hot yet (that hits this weekend, highs around 90) but we've had crazy thunderstorms every day this week except Tuesday. So I only ran on Tuesday. The current humidity is 92%. It's like walking in a friggin cloud.
This is how I always felt at school: how can I be this far behind already, it hasn't even been a week yet!

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #89 on: 25 May 2012, 04:50 »

Woke up at 6, looked out, saw dark gray, like lowering clouds. Rain on the way? Looked at the temp: 70F. Looked at radar and humidity: no storms on the way, humidity around 60%, no excuses. Running was a little sweatier than earlier, but not bad.

As I might have said here, my wife and I trained for a long-distance 3-day relay race in the 90s, run in upstate Michigan, and heat, humidity and hills were part of it although neither of us old folks were assigned legs of more than 4 miles or so. So we trained in the heat and tackled hills in a state park nearby in Indiana. I wish I could regain that stoic attitude to running weather.

An annual pass to that park is about $45 for out of staters. I'm considering it.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #90 on: 25 May 2012, 05:56 »

$45 for an annual? That's great! I'd totally do it if I were you :-)

Just as it was starting to get nice again, the weather turned to crap. It's been less about sweltering heat than ridiculous humidity. Makes me thankful for the gym. Of course, the membership there is a bit more expensive than a park (but still pretty cheap as far as gyms go).

Anyone else doing this on the treadmill or am I all by my lonesome?

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #91 on: 25 May 2012, 06:00 »

If I get burned out or rained out, I'll be on a treadmill at the senior center's fitness room. I should be there nowadays just for the weight machines. There was a pleasant advantage to running in the park in the 1990s: greeting unafraid deer at 7 a.m. "Hi, how are ya? How's the family."

lepetitfromage

« Reply #92 on: 25 May 2012, 06:10 »

Aww, that is so cool! We've got tons of deer around here but they always spook so easily. I see them the most when driving- sometimes you can spot a bunch of them grazing in someone's front yard.

Since we live in a big apartment complex they don't usually hang out around here. We just get woodchucks. But I'll take them- they're adorable!  :-D

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #93 on: 25 May 2012, 06:12 »

Not so adorable if you're a homeowner out in the country.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #94 on: 25 May 2012, 06:37 »

Ah, marvellous, perhaps you can clear this up for me: how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #95 on: 25 May 2012, 06:57 »

'bout as much ground as a groundhog hogs, if a groundhog could hog ground. 

They're the same critter, of course. 

lepetitfromage

« Reply #96 on: 25 May 2012, 11:01 »

A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

And judging from Redball's statement, I assume that groundhogs hog quite a bit of ground.  :-P

I know that they can be quite the pest but I just can't resist the Squeee Factor. I also have 2 fat pet guinea pigs so I guess you could say I have a soft spot in my heart for rotund rodents.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #97 on: 25 May 2012, 11:50 »

I have one living under the slab of my A-frame. Some day I expect the A-frame to settle in, separating from the rest of the house. Well, probably not, but ....

lepetitfromage

« Reply #98 on: 25 May 2012, 12:05 »

Ack! Probable or not....that does not sound pleasant.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #99 on: 25 May 2012, 13:01 »

They do like to dig, the fat little buggers. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up