THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:45
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Secret World, Anyone?  (Read 5312 times)

sixleaf

• Not quite a lurker
The Secret World, Anyone?
« on: 20 May 2012, 12:43 »

I've been playing the beta and it's quite fun. Of course, I'm a huge Ragnar Turnquist fangirl and have been anticipating this game for quite some time now, but luckily it's been enjoyable so far.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Re: The Secret World, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2014, 17:40 »

LIVE DAMN YOU

Anyway I'm trying to get the bloody thing to work, since a friend gave me a copy.
This is a game I've been wanting to play for quite a while, but stayed away. Now, well...here we are.

Wish me luck! It certainly *looks* cool, and not having subscription is a nice thing.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2014, 20:10 »

Wow, that's a long time dead necromancy... Fits in perfectly with the subject though.

I really like the game. When City of Heroes closed up shop, a lot of my super group decided to make Secret World our home, and I followed along with them. In some ways, very much a typical MMO. Quests, lots of combat, a world that never seems to change no matter what you do. But they do throw more than a few twists in. Being a horror genre is one... Though it's not very horrific, and your character is basically an immortal superbeing so that pulls the edge off of being scared. Different mission types is very welcome, and a strong narrative storyline works well, the first time though at least.

I recommend it, even if I really need a better computer to really enjoy it.  It does stand out from the standard crop of sword and spell fantasy MMOs, that's for sure. Even if you wind up using a sword and magic. :) Be warned though, there is a hefty and not terribly obvious learning curve, and it is entirely possible to gimp your character easily early on, requiring a lot of repetitive grinding to un-gimp. I do recommend doing some research on builds and game systems before diving in too deeply.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2014, 20:27 »

I always forget City of Heroes/Villains is no more. Which is a goddamned tragedy.

Thanks for the info, and the heads up. I admit I probably won't really bother, because...well mostly because I feel overly-confidant after dealing with EVE. But hey.

If I can get the bloody thing to work at any rate.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2014, 03:03 »

Wow, that's a long time dead necromancy...

You think?  On another board I visit, someone's just picked up and continued a thread which was last posted in during 2003; and that was a reasonable thing to do as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2014, 05:55 »

I wouldn't say the game is really difficult. It's just not as into hand-holding as a lot of other MMOs are. Combine that with some of the more unusual (and awesome) elements of the game can lead to people being frustrated. Such as the fact that on some investigation missions you take to the internet to do some research on sites that Funcom has set up. They even nicely provide you with an in game web browser to do so. Or the point that when you are dead, you see things in the spirit world that you don't see when you are alive. And that in order to do some quests, you have to be dead and a ghost to see these things. Quests like that don't come up all that often though, so it can be a bit frustrating when you seem to be stuck because you haven't thought of that.

They have made it a bit easier to not mess up your character by providing more sample decks to work from. Decks being character builds using certain weapons and abilities that synchronize well together. The important thing being don't do what I did when I started and spend your points willy nilly on any weapon that seemed kinda neat, because the difficulty ramps up hard after the second zone, and you really need to be on par with your abilities and gear or you are going to have a hard time. And no matter what... you are going to learn to hate the Ak'ab. Trust me on this. haaaaaaate them.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2014, 14:00 »

Murloc hate, Alliance hate, internet comment section hate, what?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2014, 14:59 »

Murloc hate, definitely. For much the same reasons.
Pages: [1]   Go Up