THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 04:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Doctor Who Season 7 (or 33)  (Read 25902 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Doctor Who Season 7 (or 33)
« Reply #50 on: 31 Mar 2013, 12:19 »

"Did you not hear the word 'antigrav'?" :D

I started with Eccleston, but catching up on Netflix, so by the time I started watching for real, Matt Smith was into his run, this is the first series I'm watching as it airs. I've liked all three Doctors since, and I think Eccleston will always be THE Doctor to me, although I quite like Matt Smith. Although to be fair, Matt Smith is who I watch now, and the only ones I rewatch are early episodes with Eccleston when I show it to people and that's where one starts if they don't want to go back to Doctor One.

And I especially liked the midseason premiere. Clara's off to a good start.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Boiled Dove

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Personal Text
« Reply #51 on: 31 Mar 2013, 12:29 »

Yeah, that was a fun episode even though I was hoping for a few more answers.

We have found that "Blink" is a good introductory episode.

Signature

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #52 on: 31 Mar 2013, 12:34 »

Really? I can't fathom not starting with "Rose". Then again, that's where I started. But isn't that generally considered when they show "began again"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #53 on: 01 Apr 2013, 04:16 »

That would suggest that it stopped. Which it never did.

Billie Piper and David Tennent confirmed for the 50th year special.

Also, that was an okay 'introducing the new companion' episode.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #54 on: 01 Apr 2013, 04:40 »

If a show doesn't have an episode (aside from a made-for-TV movie) for over 15 years, I think you can say it stopped. 50 years since it started, not 50 years of TV.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

dps

« Reply #55 on: 05 Apr 2013, 14:53 »

Really? I can't fathom not starting with "Rose". Then again, that's where I started. But isn't that generally considered when they show "began again"?

There are basically 5 reasonable starting points for watching the show:  "An Unearthly Child", "Spearhead from Space", "Robot", "Rose", or "The Eleventh Hour".

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #56 on: 06 Apr 2013, 13:04 »

But if you start with the last one on on that list, you'll be coming in very late...

:mrgreen:
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #57 on: 06 Apr 2013, 13:17 »

Relatively speaking, coming in from "Rose" is still very late, but I can't imagine starting earlier.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #58 on: 07 Apr 2013, 13:21 »

I don't recall where I started with Dr Who, as my first encounters were at a young age and based on which episodes were available on VHS from the library... but some of the earliest I recall watching were William Hartnell's The Keys of Marinus, Jon Pertwee's The Green Death and Tom Baker's The Invasion of Time. These three remain my favourite doctors.

As to the reboot, I started at the start.

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #59 on: 09 Apr 2013, 09:04 »

By "introductory episode" I did not mean to start and move forward from there. Just that it is a good episode for those who know nothing of Doctor Who. I've seen people get really turned off by the ending of Rose with the references to The Shadow Proclamation and the talking puddle of goo.

"Blink" can pretty well stand on its own and you don't really miss anything if you haven't seen anything before it. It provides a good introduction to the pace of the show without overwhelming the viewer with details about the Who universe. Once people have seen it and the hook is set they are enthused to start at the (modern) beginning, Rose, and go from there. 

Now back to the current season.

It is really hard for Doctor Who to go so wrong that I would call it un-enjoyable  but this last episode with the star god/ soul sucker thingie just did not do it for me. Add that to the merely enjoyable but underwhelming (mid?) season opener I'm not really feeling it for this season. I like Matt Smith a lot more than I cared for David T but I think it is time for him to move on as well.

Signature

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #60 on: 09 Apr 2013, 10:30 »

By "introductory episode" I did not mean to start and move forward from there. Just that it is a good episode for those who know nothing of Doctor Who.

Looking at it that way, yeah, Blink is actually a perfect introduction.

It is really hard for Doctor Who to go so wrong that I would call it un-enjoyable  but this last episode with the star god/ soul sucker thingie just did not do it for me. Add that to the merely enjoyable but underwhelming (mid?) season opener I'm not really feeling it for this season.

I've also been very underwhelmed by the last couple of episodes. The whole 'save the world by destroying the centre of its orbit' thing didn't sit very well with me. Or the 'small asteroid having a breathable atmosphere' or 'hover-moped-thing capable of interplanetary-travel'. I remember when the Doctor would check the air and radiation before even opening the doors...

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #61 on: 09 Apr 2013, 10:39 »

I remember when the Doctor would check the air and radiation before even opening the doors...

Yep, me to.
Signature

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #62 on: 09 Apr 2013, 14:50 »

I can't see why people wouldn't be intrigued by the Shadow Proclamation, if anything I was disappointed that it didn't explain what it was for a while. As for the introductory episode not being "start and move on", I really dislike starting in the middle of a show, but I suppose that's just a quirk of mine. But that's why "Rose" was the only episode I could have started with without going back to the First Doctor.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

dps

« Reply #63 on: 10 Apr 2013, 06:23 »

I can't see why people wouldn't be intrigued by the Shadow Proclamation, if anything I was disappointed that it didn't explain what it was for a while. As for the introductory episode not being "start and move on", I really dislike starting in the middle of a show, but I suppose that's just a quirk of mine. But that's why "Rose" was the only episode I could have started with without going back to the First Doctor.

Well, you can't start in the middle of a story arc.  I mean, you can, but if someone's first episode was, say, "Let's Kill Hitler", they'd be completely lost.  "Rose" and "The Eleventh Hour" are good starting points because the Doctor gets a new companion in them, and in explaining things to the new companion, they get explained to the audience.  But not every episode with a new companion fits this idea.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #64 on: 10 Apr 2013, 06:55 »

No, I don't think you understand. A new story arc isn't enough, it has to be the beginning of the show for me. The Ninth Doctor was technically continuing the existing series, but it's close enough to a reboot (and thus a new show) for me to start there.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #65 on: 10 Apr 2013, 18:53 »

Yes, but when you think about it, it's all relative really   :-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

dps

« Reply #66 on: 11 Apr 2013, 18:25 »

No, I don't think you understand. A new story arc isn't enough, it has to be the beginning of the show for me. The Ninth Doctor was technically continuing the existing series, but it's close enough to a reboot (and thus a new show) for me to start there.

Well, as you say, that's a personal quirk of yours.  I was speeking in more general terms.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #67 on: 28 Apr 2013, 20:15 »

i must say, i'm really enjoying the revamped season. the doctor's new costume & the tardis both look good, the new companion is working out well, and they've seriously cut back on the child-like-whimsy.

but that said, are they ever going to get around to explaining why the tardis exploded at the end of season 5? i mean i don't even think it's been mentioned since then. or did i miss something?

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #68 on: 29 Apr 2013, 08:14 »

I did not care for how the season started, but the last two episodes have been more enjoyable. I am enjoying the catfight between the TARDIS and Clara.
Signature

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #70 on: 17 May 2013, 13:53 »

I think this season has really hi lighted what has been a growing frustration ever since they brought the show back and that is they pack everything into single episodes. I think most of the stories they have done this season would have been much better if they had fleshed them out over a couple of episodes. Even an hour and a half, like Sherlock, would be better.

Granted I started watching with the "Classic Series" where it was very unusual for a story to be completed in less than 4 installments. Now the episodes were shorter then but 4 would still be equivalent to two episodes of the new format. This would allow for much more fulfilling story development, at least in my opinion. Sometimes I think they try to do too much in an episode and it really doesn't work.

Signature

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #71 on: 17 May 2013, 13:57 »

On the other hand, the speed of the old serials is, at times, coma-inducing.
My Art.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #72 on: 17 May 2013, 14:10 »

Paul McGann will always be my Doctor!
Well, him or Sylvester McCoy...

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #73 on: 17 May 2013, 14:38 »

On the other hand, the speed of the old serials is, at times, coma-inducing.

True, but blend the story development of the clasic with the pacing of the modern and it would be amazing.
Signature

henri bemis

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Don't F with my glasses
« Reply #74 on: 17 May 2013, 15:19 »

And I think that speaks to your point about Sherlock, which (at least to me, don't know know how others feel about it) is not coma-inducing at all.  And I think you're right that a lot of episodes could do a lot more with some more time (which is something I think the producers and writers at least sort of realize, with all the two-parters and extended specials).

I really don't want to know the doctor's name.  I'll watch, but I'm disappointed they're doing this at all, so it better be brilliant.  His charm, for me, has always been in mystery and imagination, and secrets, and questions I want, but don't really want, answers to.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #75 on: 17 May 2013, 17:37 »

Two things

Since certain clues got dropped during Sylvester McCoys Tenure, I had thought the name The Doctor carried was Rassilon

Clara.  I wonder - is this the return of The Doctors Grandaughter?

Or Romana?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #76 on: 17 May 2013, 22:08 »

I really don't want to know the doctor's name.  I'll watch, but I'm disappointed they're doing this at all, so it better be brilliant.  His charm, for me, has always been in mystery and imagination, and secrets, and questions I want, but don't really want, answers to.

i rather agree. i was also kind of disappointed when they had him start saying how old he is. it's a really minor thing, but i do think knowing these little details takes away from the mysteriousness of the character.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #77 on: 18 May 2013, 05:04 »

The Doctor always lies. He's always a madman in a blue box.

There are so many ways this can play out and still be mysterious and stuff ... we'll see. Not long now.

One thing though ... if you watch the trailer for today's episode you can see a glimpse of Bessie, the third doctor's car ... which is just weird.
My Art.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #78 on: 18 May 2013, 05:28 »

personally, i think it'd be cool to see little trinkets from old incarnations just laying around here and there in the tardis.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #79 on: 18 May 2013, 06:03 »

True that. But it seems this is actually going to be a point during this episode.
My Art.

Parkour Lewis

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Does my butt look bigger on the inside?
« Reply #80 on: 18 May 2013, 08:43 »

Two things

Since certain clues got dropped during Sylvester McCoys Tenure, I had thought the name The Doctor carried was Rassilon

Clara.  I wonder - is this the return of The Doctors Grandaughter?

Or Romana?

I've been wondering if maybe she's that "clone daughter" from that one episode of the Tennant Doctor and Catherine Tate.  The one with the fish people and the war.  It's never said what happened to her, and she's at least part timelord.

I've never watched any of the classic Dr Who series.  I didn't come along until the new series, and even then not until the second season, but I'm a fan now and I've been seriously thinking of hitting up netflix to watch some of the older ones.  This season seems kind of weak to me, but I'm willing to wait it out and see if there's a good payoff.
When heaven's in the music, Hell is in control.
The Angels got the phonebox but the Devil's got the rock and roll.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #81 on: 18 May 2013, 09:48 »

Some of the older doctors are excellent with most people rallying behind doctors 4, 5 or 7, it seems at least, to me. Worthwhile, though, to investigate.
My Art.

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #82 on: 18 May 2013, 15:32 »

RE: this latest episode.

(click to show/hide)

Also I've heard people shit-talking this ep but I kinda liked it.  I'm pretty forgiving, though.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #83 on: 19 May 2013, 01:47 »

Holy shit, indeed.
My Art.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #84 on: 19 May 2013, 07:44 »

I liked it a lot. Kind of bummed the season's over, though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Danni

• Plantmonster
    • Arte de Danni Secchiona
« Reply #85 on: 21 May 2013, 12:51 »

I LOVED THIS EPISODE

I was literally freaking out during the pre-credits introduction, literally I was like hand waving in tears like an 11 year old with a new Hello Kitty toy.  or like a massive geek girl watching generations of a beloved tv program weave back in upon itself in glorious fashion.

the squirrels want your nuts

Death squirrel wants YOUR SOUL

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #86 on: 21 May 2013, 13:11 »

Not a valid youtube URL
My Art.

Valdís

• Duck attack survivor
  • Huggable Huldra
« Reply #87 on: 21 May 2013, 13:58 »

And then they kissed. :3
Now the sayings of the High One are uttered in the hall
for the weal of men, for the woe of Jötuns,
Hail, thou who hast spoken! Hail, thou that knowest!
Hail, ye that have hearkened! Use, thou who hast learned!

Parkour Lewis

« Reply #88 on: 21 May 2013, 18:44 »

One thing someone pointed out to me that's awesome in this last-season ep:

(click to show/hide)

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #89 on: 22 May 2013, 10:08 »

Some of the older doctors are excellent with most people rallying behind doctors 4, 5 or 7, it seems at least, to me. Worthwhile, though, to investigate.

I personally like 3 quite a bit as well.
Signature

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #90 on: 22 May 2013, 22:28 »

How come?
My Art.

Danni

• Plantmonster
    • Arte de Danni Secchiona
« Reply #91 on: 23 May 2013, 16:10 »

I seriously nearly cried during the

(click to show/hide)
the squirrels want your nuts

Death squirrel wants YOUR SOUL

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

Boiled Dove

• Personal Text
« Reply #93 on: 24 May 2013, 08:14 »

How come?

I just find him very entertaining. "You will find I'm very spry for my age" It is like the tried to embed a bit of 007 into the doctor while he was exiled on Earth. Not to mention the joy of the Whomobile.

Signature

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #95 on: 02 Jun 2013, 12:09 »

I saw :(

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #96 on: 02 Jun 2013, 13:37 »

i can respect that. he's had a good run.

dps

« Reply #97 on: 10 Jul 2013, 21:01 »

Ah, see, though my post was in response to yours, I didn't mean it to apply specifically to you.  Rather I meant that in general, no one should start in the middle of an on-going story arc.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #98 on: 26 Jul 2013, 08:37 »

Another reasonable intro espisode, imo, is The Girl in the Fireplace.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #99 on: 14 Oct 2013, 10:26 »

Brian Hodgson of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, on creating the iconic TARDIS (de)materialisation noise.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up