THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 13:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dishonored  (Read 12932 times)

ackblom12

Dishonored
« on: 05 Oct 2012, 13:38 »

So this is definitely a game that took me by surprise when it was announced. Since they first showed it off, every single teaser trailer after just made it look better and better. Like some kind of Dieselpunk hybrid of Assassin's Creed and Thief. I've got it pre-loading now and am rally excited to play, though I am a little concerned about how easy the game may be. I'm assuming most of the teaser trailers involved dev codes for unlocking everything, but they still have me a little concerned. As long as they avoid the problem that the poison dart brings into AC, I think it'll be fine though.

Lots of creative methods of eliminating assassination targets, including non-lethal methods, give me really high hopes.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Dishonored
« Reply #1 on: 05 Oct 2012, 19:04 »

My boss played a section of it at her manager's conference, and was pretty impressed by it - enough to state that it's her guess for the sleeper hit for the year. She used Steampunk to describe her impressions of it, though some people are pickier about using that terminology than others...

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 05 Oct 2012, 19:44 »

I love steampunk (see, Arcanum), I love nano-tech style improvements in games (see, Deus Ex), and I love stealth assassination games with multiple avenues of attack (see, Hitman). This game was made for me.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2012, 03:50 »

My boss played a section of it at her manager's conference, and was pretty impressed by it - enough to state that it's her guess for the sleeper hit for the year. She used Steampunk to describe her impressions of it, though some people are pickier about using that terminology than others...
If Dishonored turns out to be a 'sleeper hit', people have no taste. This game is shaping up to be every kind of awesome.

Dieselpunk comes close to describing it, but if you really want to be accurate, you can call it 'whalepunk'.

As much as I'd like to play this game immediately, I don't particularly like the plethora of retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses that surround the game. But I'll probably get it at the very first sale.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2012, 07:57 »

Eh, I think she was referring more to that the game hasn't really had all that much exposure, despite it's publisher. There jsut hasn't been that many advertisements for it, IMO. Then again, with juggernauts like Halo, CoD, and AC coming out around the same time, it's no wonder.

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2012, 09:32 »

Dishonored's advertising methods have been really kind of refreshing for me. They announce it just a few months before release, then don't spend every waking moment bombarding us with ads and such right up until the day of release. Instead they've just released a steady stream of youtube videos with interviews, gameplay trailers and the like. So much better than the usual big publisher hype train of the last few years.

ackblom12

« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2012, 22:07 by ackblom12 »

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2012, 11:36 »

A friend of mine just dropped a copy of this into my lap, so I'll be playing it this weekend.  To be honest, I've not had a lot of exposure to it, so I don't really know what to expect.  Sometimes that actually makes it more fun to me.  We shall see.

:-D
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2012, 14:04 »

A word of advice from what I've seen:

(click to show/hide)

I haven't played any of it, but that's what I've picked up from playthroughs and reviews.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2012, 20:31 »

Don't forget all the branches that would require other playthroughs. Almost all major choices usually supply you with a lethal and non-lethal options, and it'd be worth it to see how different combinations of consequences would change how certain events happen.
(click to show/hide)
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2012, 16:18 »

Dang, there's no demo on XBL

ackblom12

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:17 »

This game is really damn good and any concerns about it being too easy have been beaten and strangled then eaten by rats.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2012, 13:26 »

Just beat it. Fun times, and I went the entire game only killing two people (neither were major targets, and only one was intentional, the other was a mook who I thought I only knocked out but apparently he fell to his death or something.
(click to show/hide)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2012, 03:52 »

About one of your kills:

(click to show/hide)
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #14 on: 17 Oct 2012, 04:01 »

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2012, 04:36 »

(click to show/hide)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2012, 07:43 »

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2012, 11:50 »

Hmmm...  I'm still not sure how I feel about this game.  It doesn't seem to be a flavor that I particularly like, but I wouldn't have anything bad to say about the game itself.

I think part of the problem is that I suck at stealth when it comes to first person games.  In the Batman games, I do really well with their stealth play, in Metal Gear games that I've played in the past I was always able to adhere to their learning curve.  For some reason, I have a problem with stealth and first person.  Skyrim and Dishonored both has this as a problem for me (and it has not escaped me that they are both made by the same company), but I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong, or if I just can't quite grasp their stealth gameplay mechanic.

I do of course, realize that I don't have to play stealthy in either game, but I kind of like stealth play when I can accomplish it.  For some reason it seems just out of my grasp no matter I do in these games and that just equals frustration for me, thus I don't want to play these games that way.  And inevitably, I feel like I'm missing something as a result.

In Skyrim, this is not as big a deal, because there is NO need to be stealthy, it's just a preference.  But in Dishonored, it is a large focus, and even has several achievements, based on just on stealthy you can be.  And I'll likely never see them.

Understand, as a game, I think Dishonored is good.  I don't have problems with the way it's been done, or the way the designers, well, designed things.  I have no issue with the game itself.  If I were better at this type of gameplay, I'd probably really like the game.  But I'm not, and so far, I'm just not enjoying it.

I guess if there's a point, it's that Dishonored is a cool game, and people will definitely like it.  The problem is not the game, the problem is with my own shortcomings.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:26 »

Dishonored may be marketing itself as a game where you can adopt any playstyle you want, but it's extremely biased in favor of stealth. Going through the front door and straight to the target in every mission will cause you to skip about 75% of the content, I estimate. If you don't acknowledge that, then you probably won't get much enjoyment out of the game, even if a stabby-stabby playstyle is technically supported.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:49 »

Why would I go straight to the target even if I was playing violently?  You can still go around and collect all of your stuff.  It's not like in Human Revolution where it actually was biased towards a stealthy/pacifist playstyle by actively giving you more xp.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2012, 12:54 »

I think part of the problem is that I suck at stealth when it comes to first person games.  In the Batman games, I do really well with their stealth play, in Metal Gear games that I've played in the past I was always able to adhere to their learning curve.  For some reason, I have a problem with stealth and first person.  Skyrim and Dishonored both has this as a problem for me (and it has not escaped me that they are both made by the same company), but I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong, or if I just can't quite grasp their stealth gameplay mechanic.
They're published by the same company, but made by two different development studios.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2012, 14:35 »

Aye, I'm actually thinking a stabby stabby form of playstyle will actually be a lot more fun than I'm having with the stealth honestly, as long as I employ some small amounts of steal. I wanna be stabby stabby, but not necessarily a mass murderer... often. The game has some definite flaws, but I think it more than makes up for them in it's rather fantastic art style, the lore and the unique nature of it's gampelay. Blink alone adds a ridiculous amount of depth to the game's gameplay.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2012, 14:47 »

They're published by the same company, but made by two different development studios.

Yeah - okay.  I see the difference, but I'm not sure what difference that distinction makes in this instance.  I get that Bethesda is a loose label applied to both, and that different people worked on them, so I guess if that was the point, I was already aware of it.    :meh:

As for the rest, I actually was trying to do things in the stealthy manner, not being all stabby and psychotic like, but when I try to do that, it gets very frustrating very quickly, and that equates to a less than fun gaming experience in my case.  Again, I'm not blaming the game, or the makers of the game.  I just can't seem to get the hang of their intended style, and therefore, I'm not really having fun.

My blog

ackblom12

« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2012, 15:15 »

That's perfectly fair, their stealth mechanisms are fairly unforgiving. Without putting points into the power, you get no real indication of if you're actually hiding or not, what people's FOV is, whether or not you're actually making enough noise to matter and various other bits. Personally I much prefer the stealth of something like DX:HR where it's clearly the main focus, but also give you a lot more easily accessed help determining how stealthy you're actually being.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2012, 22:08 »

Yeah - okay.  I see the difference, but I'm not sure what difference that distinction makes in this instance.  I get that Bethesda is a loose label applied to both, and that different people worked on them, so I guess if that was the point, I was already aware of it.    :meh:

Eh, was only going by how you worded it, which read like you thought both games used the same mechanics because they were "made by the same company" (your exact words). But yes, the point I was making that it was two entirely different development teams that made the games.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2012, 00:10 »

Just beat it a second time, and got two more endings.
(click to show/hide)
Just checked wiki, there are apparently just the three, which means I think I'm done with this game.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #26 on: 16 Jan 2013, 19:54 »

you know, in a retarded kind of way, the plot is pretty much a mash-up of the movie V for Vendetta and Commando.  Yes Commando as in Arnold Schwarzenegger.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #27 on: 17 Jan 2013, 10:04 »

Ha! Yeah I didn't finish it but I think I can see what you're saying there.

Rented it for a few days. Really liked it!

Though because I can get fixated really easily sometimes, levels took FOREEVEEERRRR. Because I was really hard-pressed not to sneak around and choke out every single person, so I could explore every last nook and cranny, and nick ALL THE LOOT.

(click to show/hide)

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2013, 09:28 »

Yeah, but that's how most people I know handle moral choice games in general. Playthrough 1 is Mr. Goody-two-shoes/profiterring assassin's chronicles, Playthrough 2 features Murder McStabby

ackblom12

« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2013, 09:32 »

I'm almost entirely incapable of doing "evil" runs in games. I just feel terrible when I try.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2013, 11:29 »

I'm almost entirely incapable of doing "evil" runs in games. I just feel terrible when I try.
I used to be like that and still am (unable to be total renegade in ME) but then I dated a bitch, and I found myself able to do some really despicable acts in SW:TOR...
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2013, 14:15 »

Has anyone here played Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood? I highly recommend it if you like to punch people and then stuff them in cupboards whilst trying to sneak around not to letting retarded guardsmen see you. The annoying thing is that a no-kill game is impossible, since you have to off Prince John and the Sheriff, at least. Gotta go find my copy now.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Cire27

• Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2013, 15:05 »

I remember playing that a long time ago!  It was pretty good to 9 year old me, but I'm pretty sure I cheated a lot.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #33 on: 18 Jan 2013, 15:08 »

In games with "morality choices" it's tricky, but in games like this an evil run is just "don't bother with stealth" for the most part.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #34 on: 18 Jan 2013, 19:37 »

I was kinda like that for all games, but then I played Fable and encountered the occurrence of the endless spawning exp-sacks known as guards. Then I got myself run off of several cliffs by the AI in Halo:CE and Halo 2. Then I had to deal with suspect generic officers and their armies in Dynasty Warriors 4. At this point, unless the dev team has done a superb job of making characters likable and somewhat intelligent, I have no qualms with letting them die horrible, stabby deaths.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #35 on: 23 Jan 2013, 18:04 »

I feel that :-( I couldn't do the dark brotherhood arc in skyrim for that reason.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #36 on: 23 Jan 2013, 18:55 »

I feel that :-( I couldn't do the dark brotherhood arc in skyrim for that reason.
awe man, I just got married and went to bed on our wedding night when they first showed up and contacted me.  Was creepy as hell!

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #37 on: 22 Apr 2013, 07:33 »

Anyone pick up the DLC? Just acquired it myself, haven't had a chance to play it yet.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #38 on: 30 Jun 2014, 15:45 »

Anyone pick up the DLC? Just acquired it myself, haven't had a chance to play it yet.
[fifteen months later]

Yep, got the Goatee edition off the Steam sale, was the cheapest way to get the Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches. So far I only played the whaling factory mission, that one is really cool. I decided to go full-on lethal this time, just to make it differently from playing Corvo (that bleeding-heart pansy) but the powers and weapons are actually more balanced when it comes to lethal versus nonlethal now, whereas in the main game they're heavily weighted towards lethality. That makes playing Daud as a murder machine slightly less effective, but still viable.

(click to show/hide)
Pages: [1]   Go Up