THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Well it's not Majora's Mask...  (Read 4297 times)

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
Well it's not Majora's Mask...
« on: 23 Jan 2013, 08:22 »

But Nintendo announced a remake for Wind Waker being released on the Wii U!
http://kotaku.com/5978276/nintendo-is-remaking-the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker-for-wii-u

ackblom12

Re: Well it's not Majora's Mask...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2013, 08:23 »

Man, with all of the announcements the last few months I may have to break on getting a Wii U. I don't care if it's only for what's already announced, it would be well fucking worth it.

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2013, 12:02 »

Does it look better than Wind Waker emulated on PC?
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2013, 13:00 »

By the way, Wind Waker is my favourite computer game ever made and this still isn't enough to make me buy a Wii U.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:04 »

I might buy one for this and the other new Zelda game they're working on, but that's a big maybe. Unless Nintendo starts investing in the hardcore demographic again, I just can't see it being worth my money.

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:10 »

the thing is they never really stopped, with the exception of the Wii console. The 3DS has a great library for hardcore folks and the DS did as well. Even the Wii had a lot of good on it, but it was largely buried underneath a large pile of shit. With stuff like ZombiU, Wind Waker HD, Bayonetta 2, Fire Emblem Awakening, Pikmin 3 and the continuation of the Xeno saga:

and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem:

It looks like they're making a real effort at bringing folks and developers back in. I'm guessing this is largely helped by a HD capable console as well as a more traditional form controller, despite it's touchscreen. That and having finally gotten around to making what sounds like a perfectly fine online suite and multiplayer network. The last bit is the biggest surprise to me.

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:15 »

Yeah, the Wii had a few for the hardcores, like Resident Evil, Super Galaxy, and a couple Zeldas, though i haven't really heard about a lot of really good stuff being released on the 3DS. OoT 3D and Super Mario Land 3D is all I've really heard about, along with Kid Icarus (which I heard wasn't that good.) But yeah, the reminder that Pikmin 3 will be coming out is definitely going to influence my decision to buy a Wii U. That, and the hope that there will be more 3D Mario games coming out.

i secretly want a sequel to Sunshine

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:18 »

oh shit they're actually doing a Super Mario Galaxy for Wii U. that's rad.

ackblom12

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:20 »

The best/worst thing about Pikmin was the sound they made when they drowned. Oh god that wail.

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:21 »

I always felt completely awful whenever I had a lot of Pikmin die. To anything. At any given time. The guilt forced me to continue through those games, all the while dying on the inside.

ackblom12

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:22 »

I know those feels.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #11 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:26 »

I've never actually owned a console except for the past few months it comes of not having a television either. I bought a GameCube specifically to play Sunshine when my parents bought a TV, and the day before I bought it was the day that the only copy of Sunshine for sale within 100 miles sold. However, when I finally get a memory card, that (along with Pikmin - I really wanted it when it came out) will be the first game I buy.

As an aside, I rarely buy things online. A little bit odd, perhaps, for someone who works in website development for a company very closely related to a payment service provider.

PPE: Four replies?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #12 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:37 »

And, because it's relevant, a statement was released about Zelda Wii U.

Wii U launched at the end of last year, so I’d like to be able to talk soon about the new Zelda game we are preparing for you on Wii U. But since I have to wait until you can see actual game visuals to talk about it in detail, I will instead talk about the driving theme behind our development.

Our mission in developing this new Zelda game for Wii U is quite plainly to rethink the conventions of Zelda.

I’m referring to things such as the player is supposed to complete dungeons in a certain order. That you are supposed to play by yourself. The things that we’ve come to take for granted recently.

We want to set aside these “conventions,” get back to basics to create a newborn Zelda so players today can enjoy the real essence of the Franchise. We actually had worked on this kind of challenge with Skyward Sword, but we weren’t able to put efforts in changing the linear structure of the game.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:49 »

Yo, if you wanna make a new kind of game, maybe make a new franchise? That's a thing that can be done, you know.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #14 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:54 »

As a Zelda fan, I'm willing to embrace this change. I don't see much of a point in developing a new game but still sticking to the conventions of the previous games. I mean, it's a Zelda game, there's not a whole lot they're going to change, so why not change the linearity of it? Sequels should be made to improve a game and break the boundaries of what the last game did!

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2013, 14:55 »

And considering the non-linearity of Zelda 1 and, less-so, Ocarina of Time (you could basically do any dungeon in any order) this isn't really going to be a massive change.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2013, 16:05 »

I guess, I'm just worried that they'll in addition go away from the puzzle mechanics of the earlier games. Getting new things that allows you to pass new challenges is kind of the core of those games, so if that's not left, there's not really and Zelda left. If they can pull off a more open game (with multiplayer?), and still have it feel Zelda, that will probably be great. I'm probably just caught up by the whole DMC-thing (even though I haven't even played any of those!).
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2013, 20:54 »

I'm so excited for this remake. This game and the new animal crossing are the reasons I'm getting a Wii U, and the new Fire Emblem is icing on the cake

Zingoleb

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2013, 23:09 »

I guess, I'm just worried that they'll in addition go away from the puzzle mechanics of the earlier games. Getting new things that allows you to pass new challenges is kind of the core of those games, so if that's not left, there's not really and Zelda left. If they can pull off a more open game (with multiplayer?), and still have it feel Zelda, that will probably be great. I'm probably just caught up by the whole DMC-thing (even though I haven't even played any of those!).

yeah but I can easily envision there being parts of various dungeons that you can only access with items from other dungeons - or maybe even just items that would make certain dungeons easier but would by no means be necessary (boy it would be easier to hop from rock to rock in all this lava if I had a fucking HOOKSHOT)

Warbear

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2013, 23:40 »

They'll probably make it like Skyward Sword where you have to revisit certain areas.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #20 on: 04 Feb 2013, 13:32 »

I think for me, if Nintendo properly sorted out rehashing old games so that I could give them new money for old rope, I may think about a Wii U. Could do with HD Goldeneye as well as Rouge Squadron (seriously, no working emulator that I know of can play this game as  a ROM) and maybe Lylat Wars (Star Fox 64) with I don't know, a save function? I know it was released on 3DS but instead of a 4 inch screen, lets increase that by about 20 inches so I can see the talkative animal I'm about to blow into a million pieces.

ackblom12

« Reply #21 on: 04 Feb 2013, 13:45 »

Man, to be honest if the PS3 could play PSP or Vita games through digital download options, Sony would actually have a hell of a lot more business from me. I refuse to buy a mobile gaming device, from anyone mind you, because it's just not a market I'm interested in anymore. Which makes it really unfortunate that there are quite a few game son mobile consoles that I'd really love to play.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #22 on: 09 Feb 2013, 06:37 »

To be fair I don't understand why mobile gaming (in a sense that it is mobile, not on a phone) is still a thing. It seems now its all about being able to play a cheap port of a game you already own on a console to a tiny screen to make a train journey seem more bearable.

Although to be fair ackblom, I just got a Sony phone and it is "Playstation certified", which I think means I can play PS1 games on it. Don't own a Playstation so I'm kind of still figuring out what I'm allowed to get for it. Takes out the need for a Vita in my opinion.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: 09 Feb 2013, 07:40 »

i don't know, I've enjoyed the gameboy ever since it first came out. I guess it's more that you can play any where and any time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up