THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best free to play MMO  (Read 9141 times)

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
Best free to play MMO
« on: 11 Nov 2012, 17:18 »

Anybody have any information or opinions on the the greatest free Multiplayer on the internet?
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Gregorio

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: Best free to play MMO
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2012, 17:30 »

World of Tanks is the only MMO I really play. The game is basically a consistent action game with RPG elements. You start with an early, inter-war tank from one of five nations (six in a month or so), then work your way up to get different tank parts and eventually new tanks. There are several different classes, including light/medium/heavy tanks, tank destroyers, or artillery. Once you reach the highest tier tank, you can enter Clan Wars, where it's basically like Risk, but instead of dice rolls, you fight tank battles with other clans for territory. If you manage to hold land, then every day your clan gets an allowance of in-game "gold" currency. It gets insanely deep at this level, with lots of strategizing and tank-picking. There's a ton of depth, but you rarely ever see it, as it's mostly in number-crunching that happens with each shot, including projectile normalization, shell weight, armor angling, different ammo types, etc.

It's not "free" per se, but is instead "freemium." Leveling up your tank is pretty easy until around tier 4 or so. Then, the game encourages you to buy a premium account (+50% xp and money per battle) or a premium tank (tanks with money-earning multipliers that can only be bought with gold, which in turn can only be bought with real money) to boost your credit earnings. It's not impossible to play it free-to-play, just more difficult.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2012, 17:39 »

Although sometimes aggravating, I think most impoverished gamers are okay with games in which you can get all the content free but it's much easier and quicker to do with money.  I sometimes hear people griping about people buying their way through League of Legends but those playing free seem to be holding their own. 

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2012, 20:05 »

If you want a more classical MMO, I'd go for D&D online. The game does free to play right - you don't have any disadvantage over players your level. It works like WOW, but has a couple of extra aspects that makes it more interesting - questing works great in both groups and alone, and all quest areas are instanced. No "kill 10 X" or "collect 10 X eyes" quests. The narrative of each quest or quest chain is mostly narrated (well) by The Narrator, so you don't have to read as much quest texts is you want insight into the story. Finding groups is easy, there is no long travelling times...

Seriously, it does away with everything I disliked about WOW, and it's free. The model is that you can play as much as you want, to maxlevel, completely free. Some races and classes are locked, and a good number of dungeons and quests are also only for pay. You can either pay a monthly subscription to have access to everything, or buy individual races and dungeons. Payment is through "turbine points", which you can buy or earn in game. If you reach max level, you can either do the same endgame things you do in all games, or start a new character and get some bonuses from the last one. Definitely worth a try.

If you want something fast and cheap, Realm Of The Mad God is free to play though steam. It's 39MB on the hard drive. It's a bullethell MMO with retro graphics. 20ish minutes to maxlevel, permadeath. Great fun.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2012, 03:20 »

It's called a twin-stick shooter. Bullet hell games are usually spaceship sidescrollers with death mandalas filling the screen.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Gregorio

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2012, 22:36 »

Yeah, it's more in the realm of a fantasy RPG-themed Smash TV than Giga Wing.

Asterus

• FIGHT YOU
  • I'm not crazy, I'm just a little Unwell :P
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2012, 10:05 »

Doesn't have to be an install either. Plenty of people play it on Kong, and I assume Armor(?) is similarly populated.
Another interesting game is Vindictus. Instanced dungeons, rather interesting uses of environment and physics, and an intuitive (If slightly high-maintanence) combat system.
Or try out Mabinogi if you don't really mind having to grind sometimes to improve skills.
From time to time you must concede, the need to sit down and have a good read:
http://hypocriticalparadox.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjonUt21G0HBaFsHPupFwxw
Those with Vas Deferens should show vast deference to those without.

Gregorio

« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2012, 19:44 »

I kind of miss the Korean/Euro MMO-splosion of around 2005. So many poorly-translated grindfests that were hilarious at lan parties.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2012, 20:40 »

I liked Antlantica Online for a while. Squad based tactics (JRPG style) mixed with MMO mixed with traversing real life locations usually full of ghosts and monsters was super fun.

Dungeon Fighter Online was also real fun, sidescrolling arcade meets MMO.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2012, 20:46 »

I've heard good things about Atlantica, has anyone ever played Perfect World or Allods Online?

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2012, 00:10 »

EVE isn't free to play, to begin with, but you can buy time with in-game money once you get powerful enough. The problem is that it takes a fair amount of work to get there and maintain it. You could probably get it if you join a god mining fleet, but mining is just a little bit boring.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2012, 05:16 »

Star Wars the old republic is free to play now.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2012, 11:36 »

You have to buy the initial games, but Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are both free-to-play.

Moonlight

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2012, 18:06 »

I have played Perfect World, It isn't really a big deal, It's a little cool at the beginning while you unlock abilities, get some cool looking armour and gather nice things that give you some sense of achievement, but then you realize that all the quest are exactly the same "Kill X number of monsters" "Gather X number of things killing Z monster" (Is only a more annoying version of the former) "Go talk to this 4 NPCs, each one is at different corner of the world" or "Gather X material" It goes like that until you get to level 30, then you get to fight bosses, which only are super mooks that need to be taken down in group, now that I think of it Perfect World is incredibly similar to WoW, so if you like that kind of game play you will love it.

I agree with snalin in that D&D online is a great MMORPGs, why? Questing is amazing! You don't get that "Kill 10 rats" crap, each quest is unique, with an unique dungeon, story, objectives, the narrator really helps the atmosphere and you really feel the need to have a varied party, Mechanical traps can only be disabled by thieves, magic barriers can only be disabled by mages, clerics are the only ones who can cure fast and effectively, Rangers can decimate groups of enemies before having to engage in close combat, Warriors . . . they are strong and Bards can give nice buffs to the party, granted, every quest can be completed alone but you would miss tons of loot, it would be 10 times more difficult and I gotta say that it is really nerve-wracking to complete the longest dungeons by yourself, the potions are never enough, your weapons seem to broke on the most inopportune moment and you never know what enemy or trap lies beyond the next door or if you will be able to handle it.

Yep, really worth a try.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2012, 04:32 »

You have to buy the initial games, but Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 are both free-to-play.
No, that's what we call subscriptionless. The free-to-play label has more baggage.

MMO terminology is complicated...
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Gregorio

« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2012, 22:47 »

Planetside 2, a free-to-play MMOFPS, was just released. I remember the first one being really fun, but I don't know much about the sequel.

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2012, 00:56 »

tb has a lot to say about it.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2012, 11:04 »

You could always try RaiderZ.  It's got the whole action-combat of TERA, but with less lolis, and Monster Hunter-esque crafting.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #18 on: 23 Nov 2012, 21:12 »

Has anyone played any Runes of Magic? I've been hearing good things about that one.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2012, 19:34 »

I didn't care for RoM, and I can't even put my finger on what it was that I didn't like. I'd say that my preference for Fantasy MMO would be DDO. This starts a noticeable preference of combat style where it feels more like you're actually fighting something and less like you're relaying orders to your character.

Best Superhero MMO IMO is DC Universe Online, but it doesn't have a lot of competition. I'm prety sure it's mainly just them and Champions.

I used to root full-bore for Fallen Earth for best Sci-Fi, but they had an update a few updates back that limits crafting for F2P at 1 item at a time. If you pay 'em, you get like 10 items you can set up at a time, and it really is necessary. One item makes a lot of the missions that require crafting just tedious. The combat and crafting system is still pretty fun regardless of that , though. You can build your own shotgun from scratch. Hell, level enough, and you can build your own CAR from scratch.

Another great F2P from a strong intellectual property is Star Trek Online. If you remember the Star Trek reboot movie when Spock went back in time, this MMO basically continues the ORIGINAL timeline. The ship-to-ship combat is nice and fun, and plenty of nostalgia for fans of both TOS and the newer Star Treks, though the ground combat can be a bit lacking. Too bad the Klingons don't have any campaign worth mentioning, but it's offset by the Borg being a genuine threat again.

If you like MOBAs, you might just like Airmech. Insane amounts of fun in convertible mechs. In particular, I'm addicted to the Warthog; essentially an A-10 Warthog that converts into a robot with a huge minigun.

Those are my top picks. All fun, all free to play.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2012, 01:23 »

I've been playing City of Steam recently. I't quite good, but only in closed beta right now. Keys are fairly easy to get, I think.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thomas Edison

• The Tickler
  • Everyone is getting old.
« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2012, 04:39 »

Best Superhero MMO IMO is DC Universe Online, but it doesn't have a lot of competition. I'm prety sure it's mainly just them and Champions.

That's because NCSoft suck and shut down City of Heroes/Villains.

Six years I played for, and I think it's spoiled every other MMO for me now.
Quote from: Patrick
I am pretty miserable at going down on a lady

Quote from: Khar
I can't really work out in my head why it's not cool to bone your sister as long as you don't make babies

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2012, 21:04 »

I know it spoiled me on MMOs and I've never really been able to find one as good.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Gregorio

« Reply #23 on: 27 Jan 2013, 22:11 »

Back from Planetside 2 on my new computer. It's an insane amount of fun, but you need to get in an outfit (clan), or it will be boring as shit. I play with the SA Goons on Matherson, and setting up 100-man invasion ops can be stupid amounts of fun as you drop troopships behind enemy lines, capturing territories and fucking up their reinforcements for their frontline battles.

Just started War Thunder, now, which has a lot of promise. It promises to be a World of Tanks/Warship/Battleship killer, as it plans to be an all-out air, land, and sea game, but it's air-only for the time being. It's like adding a really robust multiplayer game to IL-2: Birds of Prey for the time being. There's a lot to explain about it that I don't understand, but it's very fun and pretty. I will never get tired of strafing columns with my kitted-out fighter-bombers.

Abyssalin

• Furry furrier
  • Mellow Mind Mellow Life... Mellow Yellow
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2013, 01:08 »

Star Wars: The Old Republic is now free to play, I played it literally minutes after it originally came out and was not impressed, admittadly it was a release but i expected more for a subscription based game, Now it has went F2P, I tried it again and found they streamlined so much that its actually fast becoming a great game, that said I was impressed enough to actually resubscribe instead of just going for the F2P parts, and so far it just gets better and better...

Try and find friends to play it with though, some bosses for even the class missions are actually disgustingly difficult.. Or you can look me up, My name is Abyssalin, on The Red Eclipse server. Republic side.
"Coming out of my cage and i've been doing just fine"
Pages: [1]   Go Up