THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 15:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 562322 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

That's not a tosser, that's a man who has or should have a diagnosis beyond R46.2. But I'm glad you're okay Paul and I hope you aren't too shook up by the whole thing :( it was good that you reported him, hopefully he won't hurt anyone else or get hurt.

Aso, dear blog thread, the renovation etc is coming along very nicely :) the apartment feels larger yet cosier and it's becoming easier to see just how gorgeous it's going to become. I think we'll be postponing our moving plans for at least another year, or at least until kids start to loom, so that we can enjoy this place for as long as possible. The property bubble may have burst by that time, who knows, but we'll also have more $$$ so it should be all right.

Also, kids, whoa. We gotta get our asses into gear and start planning some of the travelling etc. we'd like to get out of the way before any of our dorky spawn arrive.

I just have a couple of days left of my brief neuro-rehab interlude. I was loaned out on short notice to help out and also mentor a new doctor, and wasn't sure how to feel about it, but now I think it's been pretty fun. New colleagues, a new way to work, new insights into some areas of medicine that had previously been very murky despite their proximity to my current field, and a rare opportunity to follow up on the rehabilitation of some of my memorable patients. In many ways this clinic has not felt like the well-oiled highly cohesive machines I've grown used to being a part of, but it's really cool in other ways. The workload has been pretty light, so I've been able to spend my time and energy on 1. learning, and 2. Catching up on other work. Want more interludes like this one
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

It seems really weird to me when I see codes outside of C or D. (I do beep boop, don't ask me about that sore you have. It's gross.)
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I can't believe we're actually doing this, but we are. At work, somebody keeps clogging the toilets on the 12th floor and it makes the 11th floor overflow. So every time the 11th floor has a problem, we have started looking at the access cards used on the 12th floor bathroom to figure out who's doing it. And I think we have - three times in a row there is only one name in common.

Also I have sympathy for people dealing with depression but my coworker is such an idiot to begin with that it's getting hard not to snap at her. Like, yesterday we were discussing the stigma on mental vs physical illness, and today she's going on about how I probably think she's "lazy" for having to go to so many doctor appointments. Because yes, all of my sitting in her car listening to her cry was actually a clever and subtly crafted joke.
God I hate her sometimes. :psyduck:
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Sounds like she's really afraid of you thinking that, and needs constant reassurance that you don't - it's really annoying, I know (I annoy myself when I'm in an anxiety loop) but it's a symptom of the illness.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I know, but she also needs constant reassurance about many things that people with half an ounce of common sense/reading & listening comprehension/etc do not need. It's not so much what the illness is doing to her, it's where she started from and the sheer idiocy that is the cumulative effect.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It's true that suffering from illnesses doesn't make you a better person - I have a bunch of hangups and I can also be a snarky bitch and the latter will remain when the former is fixed (unless I also fix that!).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Wait. You? A grumpy bitch? I'm sorry, I don't see it. ;)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

I can also be a snarky bitch

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Wait. You? A grumpy bitch? I'm sorry, I don't see it. ;)

It's right there under her forum name  :wink:
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I don't really grump at you guys because there's enough steps between feeling grumpy and posting it that I think better of it (most of the time). My family bear the brunt of that.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

When I was in sixth form a student came back after a long layoff having dealt with cancer, and everyone was force to deal with the fact that cancer or not, he'd always been an asshole, and that when he came back, a stronger, slightly more admirable person for having beaten cancer... he was still an asshole nobody liked.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Hoofff, I'm tired. I woke up at 7 to check my email and make sure someone was covering the first shift in the community shop - we have to have two people there for every shift and no one had signed up when I went to bed. If it wasn't covered then David, our only paid employee, would have gone in and worked it and he is really not well enough to be working. Fortunately someone had been found so I went back to bed. Then got up again at 9, had a seven and a half hour opera rehearsal with a mad dash to the supermarket in the middle of it, and now I'm babysitting for a couple of hours while a family from church go to the elder boy's concert. Tomorrow will be no less busy. Roll on Monday, my only day off for at least the next two weeks. I will be very glad when this opera is over - but I am finally enjoying it after hating it for months.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

Oy, a day for dealing with the blacksheep of the family. First, my uncle who has lived the last few years of his life tied to Nigerian e-mail scams. He was good for a while after my mom kicked him out after learning about it all. He was living in a senior apartment complex downtown, keeping clean, then ran into an old high school friend and ended up moving in with her. Well, it didn't last long as he fell into the scams again, not only sending most of his Social Security check each month to them (he was living rent-free, so had very minimal expenses), but then started asking his girlfriend, and her family and friends for money, too. On top of it all, she developed cancer, and he could never be bothered to even help her around the house, and demanded she drive him down to Western Union even when she was feeling like shit. So she finally kicked him out, and he moved back to Portland (on her dime no less). But he still had about a dozen boxes of his stuff in her garage, and STILL kept e-mailing her asking for money so "he could help her" with the money he'd get from some rich African prince. So my mom and I went to her place and hauled away his shit so she could make a clean break and get back to taking care of herself instead of him. Apologizing for the way he treated her never felt so inadequate.

Which brings me to part 2, my sister. The only available storage was my grandparents' old house, which was put into trust between my mother and her 4 brothers (one of whom has since died), and since the housing market in the area is still shit and nobody gets along, my sister lives there as a caretaker of sorts, using her disability payments to keep up on utilities and taxes. She also a drug addict/alcoholic, and is right out of those pictures that went around a bit ago about tracking the life of an addict through their mug shots. She's 44, and looks older than my mother, who's 70. So we get there, and while she's shown the tendencies before, this time going into parts of the house and the yard was like stepping into an episode of Hoarders. So much USELESS shit all over the place. She had about 14-15 large plastic storage containers stacked in the laundry room with clothes, a solid block 5x6 feet, and stacked nearly 4 feet high. In the backyard shed where we took my uncle's boxes, there were 4 inoperable weed-whackers, 7 or 8 bikes, and just broken power tools and... I dunno, strewn everywhere. We grew up with our grandparents in that house, and they always took such pride in how it looked, inside and out. It's heartbreaking to see how bad it all is now, and to feel... nothing... when I visit or look at it. It's not the home they made for us and themselves anymore. It's just lumber and drywall and plaster with a (leaky) roof over it.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

So this actually happened in December, but I got it today. It was chillin on the desk in the manager booth. Now I have a shiny engraved nametag with a brushed-metal veneer and a magnetic attachment thing instead of the shitty handwritten-on-plastic bullshit I started with. Awesome.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I should probably post about my trip. Nawlens was amazing. I have a stupid amount of photos to sort through. I'm tired.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Signed by Mike Allen and Mr. Squiggle.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Mr. Squiggle is also named Mike. Mike Squiggle. Also, I just realized this was a district-wide award, not just a store-wide thing. I didn't just kill it my first month, I FUCKING DISEMBOWELED IT AND FEASTED ON ITS ORGANS NOM NOM NOM
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

So, who else is spending his Sunday trying to get rid of a tit?

There is a tit (the bird, you pervert) in a university building. No idea how it got in. I am trying to coax it towards the only exit, but instead it keeps fluttering against the large windows.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Poor little guy...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Aimless

Use food

Loki

• comeback tour!

D came to help and between the two of us (well, 90% her) we managed to get the guy out :D pics coming soon.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Followup: Pics are now here.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Working at a large company's data-centre, I once found a small bird trapped in a maze of corridors outside the underground machine-room. I managed to guide it to a loading-dock that was open to the outside world, by turning off all the lights except those in the direction I wanted it to fly. Yes, I was unreasonably pleased when it worked.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

There's a couple of birds (I'm not sure what species they are) that for the past couple of years have made a nest on the sprinkler head right outside my apartment door. They panic every time I leave my apartment. They just returned for the spring last week, and have started building a new nest.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Working at a large company's data-centre, I once found a small bird trapped in a maze of corridors outside the underground machine-room. I managed to guide it to a loading-dock that was open to the outside world, by turning off all the lights except those in the direction I wanted it to fly. Yes, I was unreasonably pleased when it worked.

That's an excellent idea in such a circumstance Akima
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

So I'm at an awkward point where only one pair of work pants fits me right now, but I couldn't find them this morning, and I don't have any maternity office pants yet (well I got a pair but then I realized that I can't sit down in them and I need a size up so back to the mall I go), and it was too fucking cold this morning for a skirt without stockings, but all of my stockings cut me in half, so as a result I am wearing maternity stretch skinny jeans that don't really want to stay up and definitely don't meet the dress code.
And if anybody calls me on it, I am going to go Regina George on them.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I opened the blog thread and Writing club thread at the same time and Bain, your post was confusing me a lot. I thought it was a fiction blurb.  :psyduck:

Is "Bain" an okay shortening of your name?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

totally!

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991

If it wasn't, you'd totally have a broken back now.

Oh wait...that's Bane...carry on.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

Apparently I am having a migraine right now.  It is painless, but makes it hard for me to read the screen.  I only discovered a couple of years ago that this effect  actually is a migraine, though it's not surprising given that my father and both my siblings all suffer(ed) from "real" migraines with headache - which I never have.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

And now I am listening to the first stereo recording ever made of a complete major work:  Walter Gieseking playing Beethoven's Emperor Concerto in 1944 in Berlin (anti-aircraft guns in the background).

http://www.pristineclassical.com/pasc390.html

Aimless

Dear blog thread,

holy crap, you can change the forum theme and the other themes feel really weird  :psyduck:

But somehow energizing

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Held a surprise party for my fiancé. Went really well. He thought it was just us two going for a meal for my birthday, which is this week, but had ten of his/our friends waiting at the restaurant. I thought he'd sussed me out for having something planned but turned out he hadn't and definitely not three weeks before his actual birthday. :lol:

Aimless

Woohoo!!

Also that is genius, I can't believe I've never thought of the idea before but I'm def. pirating it :)

Loki

• comeback tour!

I know if I was looking forward to a romantic diner or the like with my (hypothetical) fiancee and a bunch of other people showed up, I'd be miffed.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Sure, but Welu gives the impression it was just dinner together. I know with both my wife and my fiancee (other then my ex-wife before she was my wife) we went out to dinner just to eat and enjoy each other's company all the time, independent of going on dates.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

That's what always confused me about American culture I guess. What's a date and what's not? Wouldn't hanging out be considered a date? Is a date hanging out with higher stakes or some sort of level of seriousness to it?
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

It wasn't presented as a romantic night, just as me saying, "I want to go to this place to eat a few days before my birthday." but I understand some people don't like surprises of that nature. I'd done some fishing from him a while ago to see if he liked the idea of surprise parties in general. For me I might be initially annoyed at the being tricked part but once I think about it, I'd appreciate the effort they went to for doing a nice thing and that my friends all gathered to celebrate with me.

My partner and I do date nights semi-regularly and they're more about getting a nice feed than spending time being lovey.  :-P Although I'm not sure if that's a reflection of Norn Eire culture or not.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

So I just (deliberately) wrote the worst song I've ever done.

Also I am having MAJOR nicotine withdrawal hunger pains.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lines

• Awakened

That's what always confused me about American culture I guess. What's a date and what's not? Wouldn't hanging out be considered a date? Is a date hanging out with higher stakes or some sort of level of seriousness to it?

A date implies romantic intentions and/or having fun, I guess? Sometimes eating dinner out together is simply eating out. Possibly due to laziness or just wanting the food. Basically a date is not just an ordinary day, it's intentionally focused on bonding, not just doing something together because you just happen to be together. What Welu is describing doesn't sound like an intentional date.

Then again, I didn't date much, even with my husband before we were married.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Metope

Right, that makes sense. I don't think I really go on dates then. I mean, I have in the past since I did online dating a couple times, but with people I've met other ways there weren't really dates. I don't like setting up a specific time for bonding, it seems a bit artificial and staged.

In blog news, May stayed with me last night! We didn't have much time to do stuff since she was only here for a conference yesterday and today, but we ate a lot of delicious vegan food and slept a lot. She also had two really productive and information-packed days, while I was just lazy. Need to get back to work tomorrow for sure.

Lines

• Awakened

Sometimes I feel like I need it. Michael and I live together, but when we go out, it's mostly to hang out with friends. Which is awesome, don't get me wrong, but sometimes I want it to just be us and I'll put in the effort of dressing up and I'll make him put his phone away and we can just have a nice evening together. I know a lot of married couples with kids who do this, too. Dates can be important and sometimes you have to schedule it or you won't make the time to do it otherwise.

Also hooray for hanging out with May!

Metope

I think I don't need it for the opposite reason, I feel like we bond and enjoy each other all the time we're together, so we don't need to set off a special occasion for it. Instead we set off special occasions for hanging out with friends and being social, since most of the time is just the two of us anyway. I can see how that's different for busy and more social people though.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?

Held a surprise party for my fiancé. Went really well. He thought it was just us two going for a meal for my birthday, which is this week, but had ten of his/our friends waiting at the restaurant. I thought he'd sussed me out for having something planned but turned out he hadn't and definitely not three weeks before his actual birthday. :lol:
I may have told some of this in the forum before:

I was on the receiving end of a surprise birthday observance from my first wife: We went to a movie, then a nice Detroit restaurant for a drink, where one of our favorite couples just happened to be. Went on to another place; another couple. A third place, one more couple. I'm not sure where I twigged it.

And a few years later, I was hanging out with Clara, a few months before our wedding, and a close friend. It was a 3 or 4 weeks before her 30th.  I invited the friend to a surprise party on the birthday, Saturday, Jan. 30. He was puzzled. I suppose Clara was puzzled too. I insisted. Ted said he could come.

I invited a few other friends in Clara's presence, and eventually asked her who else I should invited to her surprise party. On the date, we straightened the house, then went out to the mall. We came back to find two couples: "Surprise!" Bummer! We went to the corner pizza place, where the other two dozen were waiting. Clara was so pissed she couldn't talk for 20 minutes.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

A date for me and the various lasses usually signifies doing something specific to be romantic. Being together is just being together. If we're going on a "date" it's either scheduled because the universe sucks dick so we're setting time aside to be together, whether that means getting together on skype or going out to dinner, or a "Date" which usually implies me putting a suit on and going out for some fine dining. Outside of an established relationship a date is a specifically scheduled meeting with a potential romantic partner, usually alone sometimes with a friend and their S/O. (Double dating), etc.

With folks in the right age to have kids especially date night is an established "no kids" zone and a time for mom and dad to go be a couple as opposed to being parents. That terminology was really common with my parent's generation so that might be part of where it comes from for my generation.

Lines

• Awakened

I think I don't need it for the opposite reason, I feel like we bond and enjoy each other all the time we're together, so we don't need to set off a special occasion for it.

Well, I think the biggest difference between the two of us is I live with my s.o. and you two live in different countries. Not that I don't enjoy Michael when we're together, but we're together pretty much all the time we're not at work. And by together sometimes it just means we're in the same room doing completely different things, so being "together" doesn't always mean it's special.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Now that's an excellent point too. Gareth and I were just talking about a similar concept. I won't go into it cause it's his business, but he mentioned the, to me, alien concept of spending too much time together. I normally end up in LDRs so every second I can possibly spend with my partner is as precious to me as fresh air in my lungs.

Metope

I thought of that, but I lived with my ex for a year and we went out for romantic reasons... once on valentines? I dunno, I think the concept of setting off time for a romantic date night out is pretty American. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it, I just don't understand it. Now, the American concept of Mythbusters and Ben & Jerrys in bed I can understand the hell out of.

I don't think any of my fellow European real life friends go on dates either, and certainly not any parents I know of. My parents had plenty of time to be a couple after our bedtime, and they were always very affectionate with each other when we were around too. I think the closest thing people here do is go for weekend or week long trips somewhere once in a while?
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2014, 01:09 by Metope »

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I dunno, I know we've gone through this before and I feel now as then we (or at least I) am explaining it poorly. It's definitely an American thing though...

Metope

It's probably one of those things that are pretty much impossible to explain to someone who didn't grow up learning it to be the 'normal'. I'm sure there are plenty of Norwegian things we do that other people would find really odd, but which would be impossible for me to explain because I'm just so used to it being the norm. The American stuff just stands out a lot more because America is such a big, famous and influential place.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 98   Go Up