THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 16:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 98   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 4; Live Free or Blog Hard - 'cos we all like blogging  (Read 562348 times)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

s/owners/slaves/g
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2014, 06:02 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

What I'm surprised about is that the local shelter didn't have the cat chipped. My kitten has a microchip in her - part of the adoption process.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Ok, so when I clicked on "new" I was taken to my last post in here - 20 pages ago.  It was after not getting a job. 

Guess what?  This week, I got two email rejections.  One for a job I applied for just over 4 weeks ago (WGU, I mentioned in in the University thread), the other for one I applied for about 2 months ago at the community college system over in Pittsburgh. 

It takes so long for academic hiring to go through their system - all the decisions are by committees. 

Gonna keep looking for more online adjunct work, I guess.  Or.. I dunno... wal-mart overnight restocking?  I've gotten more hours at the beer barn, but that's close to minimum

Since I last discussed my life, my brother (who has a really good job) won his state lottery, which gives him roughly $130,000 a year for life.  This is good, because he has two autistic boys, one severely so, and he'll be able to put it aside for him. 

My parents... god, my parents.  Mom offered to help support us if I go back to school and become marketable, since the whole teaching thing just ain't working out anymore.  My baby brother (42) went back recently for Control Systems, and has been offered a job by his instructor before even finishing his program! 

Now all I have to do is figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life! 

Oh, and the electric got disconnected the other day - we got it back on after 24 hours, but that's left us broke again.  Two months behind on the mortgage, too... I did a restoration job for a friend from church, the ceiling in her attic fell in, the best price quote she got from a contractor was for replacing the whole thing at $2000.  I patched it - properly - for about $350.  But I just don't want the crap of being a contractor.  I also delivered phone books a couple of weeks ago, got a few hundred for that, too.  Unemployment ran out ages ago. 

I'm thinking IT.  Something with a high demand.  I dunno, the home repair thing is kind of attractive, I love doing it, but it's too dicey, I'm slow (but I do really nice work) and I never know what to charge.  I want a real job, something reliable and steady where someone else pays for my health care! 

Sorry, this mostly goes in the complaints thread, I think. 

There's so much more I want to tell you guys, but I have a tutoring appointment soon with a really flaky student.  Maybe more later. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

What I'm surprised about is that the local shelter didn't have the cat chipped. My kitten has a microchip in her - part of the adoption process.

Which local shelter? I feel like I've missed something here!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened

Your shelter must be pretty well funded, JW!  Those things aren't cheap...

Or did you pay to have it done, and it's just their policy? 

Locally, feral cats are a real nuisance, the city won't even license them, the "animal control officer" just scoops up all he can catch.  They're held at the shelter for a short time if they're in fairly good health. 

Most aren't. 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

I just went and read some of my old posts on a forum I used to frequent. Good grief, was I an obnoxious jackass.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->

Our two cats came chipped from the local independant cat shelter in Sheffield. I thought it was a pretty standard thing and the cost of the chip is covered in the cost of adopting the cats along with neutering and other necessary treatments. Happened before when we adopted from Cats Protection down in Wiltshire.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I've never heard of a reputable shelter or rescue home that allowed you to adopt a cat that hadn't been spayed/neutered, microchipped and vaccinated.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Your shelter must be pretty well funded, JW!  Those things aren't cheap...

Or did you pay to have it done, and it's just their policy? 

Locally, feral cats are a real nuisance, the city won't even license them, the "animal control officer" just scoops up all he can catch.  They're held at the shelter for a short time if they're in fairly good health. 

Most aren't.

It's their policy. Mostly because of the rural nature of our locale, they want animals chipped so they can be identified.
Just another Joe like 46

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I've never heard of a reputable shelter or rescue home that allowed you to adopt a cat that hadn't been spayed/neutered, microchipped and vaccinated.

This. All three are required for any adoption, either at LCHS or MCHS (where we got our cat).
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I will have to pay at least £50 for my new kitty, and possibly more considering that her leg amputation probably incurred some considerable costs (on the flipside, a disabled cat might be more difficult to rehome so perhaps I won't get charged extra), to cover the cost of having all those things done. It includes six weeks' pet insurance too!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I just went and read some of my old posts on a forum I used to frequent. Good grief, was I an obnoxious jackass.

You think you got problems. Try reading anything posted on here by basically anyone pre-2007.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Grognard

• Token Straight White Conservative Male

Ok, so when I clicked on "new" I was taken to my last post in here - 20 pages ago.  It was after not getting a job. 

Guess what?  This week, I got two email rejections.  One for a job I applied for just over 4 weeks ago (WGU, I mentioned in in the University thread), the other for one I applied for about 2 months ago at the community college system over in Pittsburgh. 

It takes so long for academic hiring to go through their system - all the decisions are by committees. 

Gonna keep looking for more online adjunct work, I guess.  Or.. I dunno... wal-mart overnight restocking?  I've gotten more hours at the beer barn, but that's close to minimum

Since I last discussed my life, my brother (who has a really good job) won his state lottery, which gives him roughly $130,000 a year for life.  This is good, because he has two autistic boys, one severely so, and he'll be able to put it aside for him. 

My parents... god, my parents.  Mom offered to help support us if I go back to school and become marketable, since the whole teaching thing just ain't working out anymore.  My baby brother (42) went back recently for Control Systems, and has been offered a job by his instructor before even finishing his program! 

Now all I have to do is figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life! 

Oh, and the electric got disconnected the other day - we got it back on after 24 hours, but that's left us broke again.  Two months behind on the mortgage, too... I did a restoration job for a friend from church, the ceiling in her attic fell in, the best price quote she got from a contractor was for replacing the whole thing at $2000.  I patched it - properly - for about $350.  But I just don't want the crap of being a contractor.  I also delivered phone books a couple of weeks ago, got a few hundred for that, too.  Unemployment ran out ages ago. 

I'm thinking IT.  Something with a high demand.  I dunno, the home repair thing is kind of attractive, I love doing it, but it's too dicey, I'm slow (but I do really nice work) and I never know what to charge.  I want a real job, something reliable and steady where someone else pays for my health care! 

Sorry, this mostly goes in the complaints thread, I think. 

There's so much more I want to tell you guys, but I have a tutoring appointment soon with a really flaky student.  Maybe more later.

Keep at it, my friend.  There is honor in persistence.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Honor doesn't pay debts. 

Well, except debts of honor, of course.   :roll:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

No no, blood pays debts of honor.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

What pays debts of blood then?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Spinach, as it happens. Never been sure why.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Spinach doesn't even contain that much iron.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

You think you got problems. Try reading anything posted on here by basically anyone pre-2007.

Thank god The Sandbox got nuked. I'm happy to have an artificially reduced postcount if it means the only inanity still visible from my first year here is in BAND.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Heh.

Heheheheh.

There is unintentional comedy in that last post.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

Hey, GM, that's not very nice! :(

Also, can you imagine the stink that would have been caused if it had happened?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I can't keep up with the forums right now, as I'm at my father's place. Don't worry about me not posting until Wednesday.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Hey, GM, that's not very nice! :(

Also, can you imagine the stink that would have been caused if it had happened?

Sulaco cleaning services could fix that right up.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy

Got a call from a headhunter today looking to fill a QA job in Ann Arbor.  It was my first unsolicited recruitment call, so that's something.  I'm not sure the job is a good fit, but I told him to forward my info anyways, because I am capable of doing the job, so it really depends on the team dynamics.  I'm still holding hope for my 'dream job' but it'll be at least a month before I know about that, and I need to keep myself looking until then.  I also have an interview today for a super part-time thing helping out a local business with their website and some data analysis. It pays way less than I am worth, but they seem like nice people and it would be nice to have some cash while I wait for a 'real' job.

Also, I got paid today and promptly bought $100 of books.  I sort of thought once I graduated stop doing that, but I guess it's a good sign that I haven't? Sometimes I just need a hard copy of a text to mark up.  I am, on the one hand, frustrated that my book collection is growing... I was really trying to minimize my possessions... but on the other hand pleased that I am interested enough in things related to my field that I want to study them on my own. It gives me hope that I am on a good path.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I'm on my return trip now. This is the first time I actually have Internet on an ICE train.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Half past 11pm. Packing. Tomorrow I go to Amsterdam and the day after I meet Gaz and ChaoSera :3

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

Whoo! Take photos if you're all comfortable doing that.

Loki

• comeback tour!

We might.
I am now on my way, equipped with a freshly purchased "Turtle Recall - the Discworld companion... so far".

See ya!

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

... turtle recall ...

Pratchett is the man.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

So my mum recently got a bit of a shock. Someone very close to her offered to let her buy his house after he's passed on. He's a good man who means very much to her, and, though he's full of life (visited today and it was incredible to see because he was quite ill last time we met and now he's literally bouncing around everywhere :)) he is so old that this offer made the likelihood of his sudden demise very real to her. Moreover, she's very worried he may have wishes for the house and for his art-collection that may be difficult for her to honour, and I believe the worries about this stem from previous painful experiences when her dad's property was portioned out between her and her siblings and promptly mismanaged against his and her wishes. As well as some sort of guilt, I guess?

I believe he strongly wishes to leave her something, in part because she's about the closest he has to an immediate family (though it may be presumptuous to say so, I believe it's accurate), and in part because he worries a great deal about her and her finances. He may also believe she'd be the one person who would respect his wishes re. the house's future and his art.

The catch is, he took out a loan on the house over a decade ago, and, from what I've gathered, the bank has said it will not let us take over that loan. Rather, they're (apparently) demanding a large lump-sum payment which will definitely require a loan from another bank (a ridiculous situation, but I guess the bank really wants the house). My mum can't get such a loan, but I and my wife definitely can. Near as we can tell (and I'll be confirming this soon), the house--even in its present state before any renovation and even considering possible overvaluation--is worth 2.5-3 times the amount that we'd need to borrow. Our debt-burden would be comparable to or lower than that of most Swedish households, and our assets and shared income considerably greater. If my mum (or my sister) chooses to live there, their monthly costs, including mortgage payments, would be lower than they are currently. "Fair" market rent for such a house is around $2k-3k per month and that alone would be enough to pay off the loan in less than 6 years. It could also be rented out to people--eg. students or a young family--at cost, if we wished to do something decent with this gift. It could be a place for my little sisters to live when they eventually move out. It could be  place for us to live when we're in sthlm.

All in all, I and my wife believe this would make sense, financially and practically, even though we don't live here in sthlm. I can think of several ways in which his art can be preserved and displayed the way it should, if that is what he wishes. My mum is very stressed out, however, because of all the confusing emotions and the worries that come with anything that have to do with money, the worries about his health, the pressures of moving, etc. Not sure how to help her out with this, but we sat down with her friend and I advised him to think carefully about exactly what it is he wants and then put that in his will together with his lawyer, and we'll talk to the banks etc when that time comes and if we're okay with it. I also advised him to put together a backup-plan in case we decide not to accept this offer.

I just hope my mum can come to terms with all this. I think perhaps the most upsetting thing is that she never expected anything from him, and constantly rebuffed his attempts to give her things, and this offer has made her feel guilty in that weird way most of us can feel bad when we're given something seemingly "in exchange" for something we did freely out of love and friendship. Sometimes it's easier to give gifts to those we love than it is to receive gifts from them.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Barmymoo

• Mentat

The newest chapter in the Ridiculous Travel Adventures of Barmymoo: I went on my friend's canal boat today. I caught a train to Leicester, met them on the canal, we pootled along about fifteen miles (pretty slow progress, it was a hard canal and we were stuck behind several slower boats) and then I got off at about 6pm and walked half a mile to the nearest village to get a bus back to Leicester and the train home.

Except that the last bus left at 6.16pm and I got there at 6.20pm.

I wandered around a bit asking advice from people in the supermarket and then ended up in the pub, where numerous suggestions were made ranging from "you could get a taxi" (£20 at a conservative estimate - not worth it) to "pay me £120 and I'll drive you all the way home" (um no) and "walk to the airport and hire a helicopter" (well obviously yes but no). In the end I texted a friend and she called me while looking on her laptop to see where I could realistically get to. It is times like this when I wish I had a smartphone! The upshot was that I got a taxi for £10 to a village with a train station and then got the train home, which was a lot easier than any of the pub suggestions. Now I am exhausted because it took me 4 hours to make a 50 mile journey after spending 9 hours making a 15 mile one.

The Seldom Killer

• More witless shite ----->

It's for reasons like this I find it very hard to not take a bike on the train.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

My coworkers threw me a surprise baby shower today! They ended up waiting around because I had no idea & was on the phone arguing with the gas company, but once the bossman got me in the room it was really sweet.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

we pootled along
What a great word!
I'd have thought it was quite old and quite British. British, but not old.
My dictionary:
pootle |ˈpuːt(ə)l|
verb [ no obj., with adverbial of direction ] Brit. informal
move or travel in a leisurely manner: they were pootling down a canal in their new boat.
ORIGIN 1970s: blend of the verbs poodle and tootle.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I'm very surprised that there's no citation from before 1977.  Poodle, with the same meaning, has citations from 1938, but I'm not conscious of ever having used it, whereas pootle just seems a normal word to me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses

I will use 'bimble' in a similar way, only when I use 'pootle',  it's usually a good thing and 'bimble' refers to the motion of (for example) those drivers who seem to think it's clever to travel at half of the speed limit for no good reason.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

I met people. They were nice.
My Art.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Pics, Beo, or it didn't happen.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

Don't be silly, people are terrible.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Nah, don't be terrible. People are silly!  :-D

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr

I like that! I will try!

Grognard

so I had one of my pre surgery consults (for carpal tunnel) today.

holy FUCK.  I sat there and LET this doctor TAZE me little bit by bit.  OOOWWWW.
first it was like "oh, electric cattle fence"
then more. ow.
then more. ow. ow.
then HE turned up the juice and "YEEEE-OW"
and then AGAIN.  YEEE-OW!
tthen he xcahnged hands.
same routine, same pain.
and then...
he broke out the acupuncture like needles.
jab!  OW!
and then more electricity.. OW!
then.. it got worse.
he hooked electrodes to those needslss in my hands.

TL:DR.
I got electrocutes.
Stabbed with widckd long needles.
:(   hard to type.  hands still sore tonight. :(
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss

On a chilly northern night, a thousand fools gathered under a starless, moonless sky to watch an open-air performance of Richard Strauss's opera Gundam Wing Elektra, played out on a stage the size of a football-pitch covered with piles of gravel and pools of blood-coloured water gushing out of stacks of shipping containers, with 7-12 metre tall puppets hovering around suspended from cranes and covered by a large troupe of dancers wrigglers clad in skin-coloured wetsuits. I kid you not.

As the last painful, unintelligible bout of shrieking came to a triumphant end and the audience dutifully began a half-hearted round of applause, two conflicting emotions warred within my heart: rage--I cut our stay in sthlm short and paid way, way too much for this??!--and relief--at last it was over and I could go home.

To be fair, the music was good, and the visuals were... cool... and I could see some of the appeal, both of opera as well as of this particular performance... but the overall experience left me so dissatisfied that, had I not been with the woman of my dreams using her nuclear-powered hands to keep mine warm and naughty thoughts to keep me awake, I would have been absolutely fuming. As it is, I've made a solemn vow never to go to any goddamned opera ever again if I can help it. And to bury all memories of this "culture capital" year as soon as I can, because, so far, it's mostly been a buncha garbage for desperate culture-starved northerners with more money than sense.

It's possible I'm just not sophisticated enough a man :o
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

I haven't heard the opera, but it sounds like an over-the-top train wreck to me. I don't know your experience with the art form, but mine has been shaped by the Met Opera in HD streaming-video broadcasts into theaters, in the U.S. and elsewhere.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Sometimes the avant garde requires that you be en garde.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Grognard

?selfie?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.

That wouyd be awesome, though.
My Art.

Lines

• Awakened

Michelle Yeoh is awesome, but unfortunately I don't know if this forum is her cup of tea. I wish it were.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Grognard

I thought it would be cool.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 98   Go Up