THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Tattoos and other body mods  (Read 220399 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: Tattoos and other body mods
« Reply #750 on: 30 Jul 2014, 21:43 »

Who gets a tribal tramp stamp? :psyduck:

Lots of people, it's surprisingly popular.

You seem some shit if you spend enough time in tattoo parlors.

Since they came up, this 5 second film is relevant.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #751 on: 30 Jul 2014, 22:22 »

Ahh yes, the '90s. I remember them well.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #752 on: 30 Jul 2014, 22:29 »

I've almost exclusively heard the term applied to women. When I have heard it used for men it is to compare them to a woman as an insult. urban dictionary agrees.

Regardless, I hate the idea that a tattoo is bad or trashy because of where it is located.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #753 on: 30 Jul 2014, 23:11 »

Well, that explains tramp stamps.

yeah? Your suggesting that women who get their lower back tattoed are judged as 'trampy' because it hurts to get tattooed there more than it hurts to get tattooed on traditional 'first tattoo' locations for men (the outer bicep and outer calf)?

seriously though, can we stop using the phrase 'tramp stamp'
NO, I flippantly suggested that the trampstamp is placed there so often because the diagram suggests it hurts less.

Also, no, 'we' cannot stop calling it a trampstamp because it's a frigging lovely word. Although in everyday conversation I sometimes will use 'aarsgewei'.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Papersatan

« Reply #754 on: 30 Jul 2014, 23:36 »

The diagram suggest it hurts more than outer biceps or calves.

And if you want to continue to use the phrase because it is fun to say, then know you're being a jerk when you do so. It's a phrase used to demean women for tattoos that make them "trashy" and is at best a pretentious and elitist way to judge other people's choices a about their own bodies, and at worst is terribly sexist.

This thread has traditionally been a place where people can talk freely about their modifications and get advice without judgment; using an insulting term to refer to a type of tattoo that it's possible members actually have ought not to be tollorated.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #755 on: 31 Jul 2014, 00:01 »

Moderator Comment Agreed.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #756 on: 31 Jul 2014, 00:39 »

Okay, Jerk it is. I'm good with that.

Am I reading the diagram wrong then? Blue seems to indicate that someone should pass out from the pain. Yellow seems to indicate 'irritation'. Lower back is yellow ... so ... ?
My Art.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #757 on: 31 Jul 2014, 02:00 »

I hate the word "tramp". There's no good meaning for that word, unless you're using it as a verb I guess. Every noun-form is derogatory.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #758 on: 31 Jul 2014, 06:09 »

Speaking of pretentious elitism, I was out the other night and had a "wonderful" discussion with someone who looked like they'd won a shrapnel catching contest using only their face (i.e. they had an unholy fuckton of piercings) and while I complimented them on their cenobite aesthetic they just could not grasp why I, a heavily inked individual, does not have piercings. As I've explained it's not even an anti-jewelry thing as I've considered and in some cases worn, ear cuffs before, nor is it a problem with needles per say... it's those needles going THROUGH me. This individual was very dismissive and judgey about that to the point of seeming exclusionary

I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #759 on: 31 Jul 2014, 06:22 »

People seem to do that a lot. It's pretty assholey to me. You don't want piercings, so what?

Also I now have 17 piercings. All but two are above the neck.

Also also thank you all for trying to get rid of "tramp stamp," at least around here. It's terribly offensive.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #760 on: 31 Jul 2014, 07:01 »

After having pulled out a guy's piercings during a fight, I will never have piercings.  Fucker bled everywhere.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #761 on: 31 Jul 2014, 07:09 »

Also also thank you all for trying to get rid of "tramp stamp," at least around here. It's terribly offensive.

I agree with this statement.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #762 on: 31 Jul 2014, 07:13 »

After having pulled out a guy's piercings during a fight, I will never have piercings.  Fucker bled everywhere.

And that's the third reason. I don't keep my hair closely cropped for fashion's sake.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #763 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:00 »

Most of my piercings are either too large or too difficult to grab for them to be pulled out in something like a fight.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Papersatan

« Reply #764 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:05 »

Okay, Jerk it is. I'm good with that.

Am I reading the diagram wrong then? Blue seems to indicate that someone should pass out from the pain. Yellow seems to indicate 'irritation'. Lower back is yellow ... so ... ?

There is a stripe of orange down the center of the back indicating that that location has moderate pain, the outside of the bicep and the outside of the calf are bright yellow, indicating they are low pain.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #765 on: 31 Jul 2014, 08:15 »

The stripe down the back (as I am sure Kat knows, just saying for everyone else) is to show that anything over the spine fucking hurts. Any spot where the tattoo gun can make your bone vibrate hurts like fuck. Thankfully I have plenty of padding so it's not as big of a problem for me!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #766 on: 31 Jul 2014, 10:24 »

I saw a woman in clinic recently who had tribal scarification on her face and stomach. The facial scar was just a cut on one cheek, and I didn't realise it was deliberate until she said so, but on her stomach she had wavy lines coming out from her belly button like a sun. I involuntarily said "it's beautiful!" but when she said that it'd been done when she was a baby I felt a bit weird about it, and then she said that she hated it and I realised how awful it must be to have something that you can never get rid of, that's so visible. There's no way she can hide the scar on her face, and during pregnancy she must have to explain her abdomen to everyone who sees her which is a lot of people. She had also had type 2 circumcision, which I suppose isn't very surprising in a culture that ritually cuts babies' faces and abdomens as well. It was beautiful though, and if she had chosen to have it done as an adult I'd have thought it was great. The fact that it was forcibly done to her and she hated it made me feel really conflicted about having liked it, and really really wish I hadn't said so.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Noxx

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #767 on: 31 Jul 2014, 10:29 »

The stripe down the back (as I am sure Kat knows, just saying for everyone else) is to show that anything over the spine fucking hurts. Any spot where the tattoo gun can make your bone vibrate hurts like fuck. Thankfully I have plenty of padding so it's not as big of a problem for me!

It's not? I'm fat as hell and any work on my back is MURDER. My full back piece is still only half done because I keep putting it off. I can sit forever for arms or legs, but I'm lucky if I can give up a full hour on my back before threatening to shoot my artist.
Need advice, empathy, or just to bitch me out? You can always message my FB @ https://www.facebook.com/bob.shaffer.37

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #768 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:04 »

Generally, the more fat you have between your skin and your bone, the more tolerable it will be. But some places it doesn't matter. Here's a chart that seems to be fairly accurate:

Well, seems like the tattoo I'm planning to get is going to hurt like fuck. Not that I'd expected anything else.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #769 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:09 »

Are you getting your knees or your genitals tattooed?

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #770 on: 31 Jul 2014, 12:12 »

No, luckily not the worst areas. But I'm planning a tattoo that'll cover most of my right side shoulder and chest and part of my back.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #771 on: 01 Aug 2014, 11:54 »

I don't have much in the way of fat anywhere and I've never experienced any pain from tattooing that was unbearable. My inner arm was a bit rough when getting my sleeve, but not too bad. My fingers were the highest intensity but the duration was short.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #772 on: 07 Aug 2014, 01:44 »

I am currently affluent enough to get my first tattoo done. Yet I can't decide on an artist because nobody in my social circle has tattoos so it's kinda hard to get recommendations.
Is it a bad idea to have your first tattoo be a really big one, for some weird reason or another? Or does that not matter at all?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #773 on: 07 Aug 2014, 08:37 »

I don't think it matters at all. Just know that you may not be able to sit for too long for your first session, so if it's a big piece you may have to break it up into a couple sessions.

Metope

« Reply #774 on: 10 Aug 2014, 13:25 »

My first (and only) tattoo is pretty big, and I was the first to get one in my circle of friends too. Look up places and portfolios online, good tattoo artists usually don't hesitate putting their work online. When it comes to pain, I guess it depends on where your tattoo goes (mine is on my arm/shoulder), but mine took about five hours and it wasn't a problem at all to go through with it.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #775 on: 14 Aug 2014, 06:20 »

seriously though, can we stop using the phrase 'tramp stamp'
NO, I flippantly suggested that the trampstamp is placed there so often because the diagram suggests it hurts less.

Also, no, 'we' cannot stop calling it a trampstamp because it's a frigging lovely word.

I can't fathom a situation in which I would respect you less.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #776 on: 14 Aug 2014, 10:24 »

That's a lack of imagination.
My Art.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #777 on: 14 Aug 2014, 20:04 »

Evan that's dangerously close to a personal attack, please refrain from doing so in the future.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #778 on: 15 Aug 2014, 10:27 »

Noted and understood.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #779 on: 15 Aug 2014, 13:56 »

Thank you.

And Beo, if a phrase makes someone uncomfortable, "I like using it" isn't a reason to keep using it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #780 on: 17 Aug 2014, 01:38 »

(I'll put something more appropriate here in a moment)
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2014, 01:47 by MrBlu »
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #781 on: 19 Aug 2014, 16:15 »

I've almost exclusively heard the term applied to women.
When applied to people, "tramp" is always a loaded, sexist word. Applied to men it means they are poor and itinerant, being roughly the equivalent of "hobo" or "swaggie". Applied to women, it means they are sexually promiscuous. One relates to a socio-economic status that might not be the tramp's fault (and is frequently mythologised positively in art, literature, songs etc.), the other implies that the woman is of bad character from choice.

I'm totally not a body-art person, but I'm familiar with the term "tramp stamp". Is there any term for tattoos on men that has the same currency in general use? I can't think of one, and that immediately makes me suspicious that the term is a sexist insult in addition to any disrespect it shows to people with ink. I don't have much to say in here, because it is not my thing, and I prefer to lurk and learn, but I don't understand why someone would post in a forum thread specifically dedicated to tattoos and other body mods, using negative vocabulary towards tattoos, or the people who get them.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #782 on: 19 Aug 2014, 18:26 »

Well said. That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking when it first came up. Thank you.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #783 on: 19 Aug 2014, 19:03 »

Thank, Akima. That's exactly why I have always hated that term. It comes loaded with tonnes of sexism, classism and shaming.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #784 on: 20 Aug 2014, 06:44 »

The term is often used on men with a tattoo in the same spot, but it's meant to demean them even more than using the term for women, because it's a "woman's" tattoo spot.

Basically it's dumb all around.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #785 on: 20 Aug 2014, 07:26 »

The term has always irked me both as a woman and as a tattooist.
@syleegrrl

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #786 on: 20 Aug 2014, 17:49 »

You could just call it a tattoo, because that's what it is.
@syleegrrl

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #787 on: 23 Aug 2014, 16:56 »

Got my lip pierced again! Finally!

I retired it maybe 5 years ago, because I couldn't find jewelry that I could wear that hid it without being horribly difficult to keep in. I've missed it a ton.

This was pierced at 12g and immediately stretched to 10g, and my goal size is 6g right now. Though I may go a bit larger.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #788 on: 25 Aug 2014, 08:37 »

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/melanie-mcdonagh/2014/08/tattoos-are-sad-and-stupid-we-should-discriminate-against-people-with-them/

I think I found a secret website for old white mid to low upper class (or delusions of same) British people too conservative for whatever the British equivalent of Fox is.

Any one have a LOIC script handy? :P

(Dear NSA, Kidding guys.)

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #789 on: 28 Aug 2014, 10:01 »

I have a tattoo appointment on Friday. Partly to keep me from continuing to self harm, partly 'cause I wanna. The problem is that I haven't decided on what to get, yet. I want a firelizard from the Pern novels by Anne McCaffrey, but my tattoo artist is having a sort of sale on horror tattoos right now. I love horror imagery and I've always wanted a tattoo from the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark series. I can't decide between these two:

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #790 on: 28 Aug 2014, 12:16 »

Personally, I prefer the top one. Both are very interesting, visually.

I'm getting a new tattoo soon as well, for much the same reason. Depression has been coming on hard lately, so I'm hoping this will calm it down for a while. I would just do it myself, but I want it on my left wrist and that's the hand I tattoo with.
@syleegrrl

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #791 on: 28 Aug 2014, 13:20 »

I really like the negative-space thing going on with the first one, too.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #792 on: 28 Aug 2014, 13:53 »

I prefer the top one as well - I think it's to do with the relative size of the skulls.

Metope

« Reply #793 on: 28 Aug 2014, 13:56 »

Agreed, the way the top one is shaped makes me think it'll look better as a tattoo than the bottom one.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #794 on: 28 Aug 2014, 18:03 »

Thanks everyone! I decided on the top one and I can't wait!!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #795 on: 29 Aug 2014, 03:03 »

Can't wait to see it! I loved those books when I was a kid.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #796 on: 29 Aug 2014, 09:15 »

Good luck, Neko. It's a really great design choice.
@syleegrrl

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #797 on: 30 Aug 2014, 00:26 »

It's amazing and I love it!

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #798 on: 30 Aug 2014, 00:42 »

Agreed.

That black at the top looks pretty intense, will that mute down a bit as the ink settles into the skin? Does ink settle into the skin?

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #799 on: 30 Aug 2014, 04:34 »

That looks bad-ass. Props to your artist.
@syleegrrl
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20   Go Up