THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning has occurred  (Read 162376 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: Learning has occurred
« Reply #150 on: 07 Mar 2014, 19:33 »

Also keep in mind, that type of person will see a Jew and a non-Jew being greedy on separate occasions. His response to the non-Jew:  "what a greedy asshole!" His response to the Jew? "Jews are greedy assholes!"

Somewhat similar example here:

They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #151 on: 08 Mar 2014, 00:24 »

["Proof" that the sum of all positive integers is negative]

Pilchard, I assume that with your background, you know you are building a sum over (-1)^i*i, so basically an infinite series which is not absolutely convergent. I assume this is where the error comes from.

That said, well trolled *highfive*
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2014, 00:45 by Loki »
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #152 on: 08 Mar 2014, 00:35 »

stop that.

you're reinforcing my perception that I'm dumb as a box of rocks.

Infinite series problems require more than just intelligence.

Yesterday I learned that in a criminal case literally anything you say can be used against you. I was watching a DUI trial and one piece of evidence against the defendant was her answer when the cop asked her what time it was.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #153 on: 15 Mar 2014, 18:44 »

Yesterday I learned that in a criminal case literally anything you say can be used against you. I was watching a DUI trial and one piece of evidence against the defendant was her answer when the cop asked her what time it was.

If a cop tried to test my sobriety by asking what the date was, I'd fail. I NEVER know that shit.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #154 on: 17 Mar 2014, 09:42 »

Today  I learned, much to my surprise, that a Schlage and a Medeco lock can be keyed alike.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #155 on: 24 Mar 2014, 15:50 »

People still actually own huge ranches with fancy names like "Pinnacle" and "Little Ponderosa." Learned this by driving down the Interstate in Texas.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #156 on: 24 Mar 2014, 17:54 »

Today I learned that my garage door is so obsolete that I can't get parts for it, and that keeping spares is of limited value since a typical garage door mechanic won't work on something so far short of contemporary safety standards.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #157 on: 24 Mar 2014, 17:57 »

What's so unsafe about it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #158 on: 24 Mar 2014, 18:00 »

Spring failures can be uncontained and there are moving parts capable of catching and detaching fingers.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #159 on: 28 Mar 2014, 14:04 »

Sounds like you're fucked and have to buy a new one :(
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #160 on: 08 Apr 2014, 07:27 »

A couple of times I have come across brief, unexplained references to hot and cold theory in relation to Chinese culture. I also came across the concept as a more wildly-held set of beliefs in other countries in the ?17th century. I've started looking into it a bit, but can anyone, such as Akima, expand on the concept? I'm reading this article as a basic overview but wondered if there were regional variations and how much it's still believed or practised.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #161 on: 08 Apr 2014, 20:07 »

I am not trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), and having received a modern scientific education, I am skeptical about many aspects. However TCM is very widely accepted in China, throughout China's zone of cultural influence in East/South East Asia, and wherever there is any significant population of Chinese people. In Australia, practitioners must be registered under the national registration and accreditation scheme with the Chinese Medicine Board of Australia, and meet the Board's Registration Standards, in order to practise legally. Regardless of the actual efficacy of TCM, its cultural influence is immense. There is a widespread idea, for example, that drinking cold water is damaging to the stomach, which is tied to TCM ideas about heat and cold, though it might well have had a purely pragmatic basis when unboiled water was not safe to drink.

TCM is very old, long predating any scientific understanding of disease, and has many similarities with the ideas of the Ancient Greeks (which persisted in Europe until at least the 17th century), particularly the idea of bodily and emotional health being based on the "humours". TCM also is heavily influenced by Taoist ideas of balance between opposing forces, among which are included heat and cold, two of the "Six Pernicious Influences." The basic idea is that certain foods, medicines, and activities promote heat or cold, and that if a patient's symptoms suggest that they are suffering from an excess of either, diet or herbs will be suggested to exert a countervailing influence.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #162 on: 09 Apr 2014, 01:51 »

Yes, it was the humours I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name of. Thank you, that's helpful. Like any other cultural practice I won't assume it applies to all Chinese families I meet, but it's definitely helpful to be aware of the possibility that a Chinese woman might prefer not to have ice in her water jug, for instance (fetching jugs of water is a good first year student task!).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #163 on: 09 Apr 2014, 02:41 »

There is a widespread idea, for example, that drinking cold water is damaging to the stomach, which is tied to TCM ideas about heat and cold, though it might well have had a purely pragmatic basis when unboiled water was not safe to drink.

a Chinese woman might prefer not to have ice in her water jug, for instance

At the age of 13 I stayed in the South of France for a couple of months, in high summer.  After a while I came up in hives, to the extent that my hosts took me to their doctor.  He told me that the iced water I was drinking because of the heat was upsetting my liver; so I stopped, and the hives went.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #164 on: 09 Apr 2014, 08:14 »

Yes, it was the humours I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name of. Thank you, that's helpful. Like any other cultural practice I won't assume it applies to all Chinese families I meet, but it's definitely helpful to be aware of the possibility that a Chinese woman might prefer not to have ice in her water jug, for instance (fetching jugs of water is a good first year student task!).

This is definitely something I've read about elsewhere - an article about cultural awareness vs stereotypes, I think. A study found that Chinese and South Asian women had higher rates of dehydration following delivery, and they eventually discovered that it was because the women were refusing the ice chips that the hospitals usually provided.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #165 on: 09 Apr 2014, 16:09 »

Today I learned that "gung ho" is from Chinese and that I've been wrong about its meaning for decades.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #166 on: 09 Apr 2014, 17:56 »

Today I learned that my garage door is so obsolete that I can't get parts for it, and that keeping spares is of limited value since a typical garage door mechanic won't work on something so far short of contemporary safety standards.

My aunt moved into a new sub-divison and within a few months almost everyone's garage doors had become crumpled. The developers fronted the replacements to avoid a class-action suit.

Here's your learning dose for why they were able to threaten a lawsuit, I looked it up because I wasn't 100% sure myself.

The second type of implied warranty is the warranty of good workmanlike construction. This warranty requires that a home or unit will be constructed in compliance with local or state building codes and with non-defective, high quality materials. Pursuant to the warranty of good workmanlike construction, the developer-builder warrants that the home or unit is free from latent defects of a substantial nature caused by a failure to construct the home in a skillful manner.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #167 on: 09 Apr 2014, 18:02 »

Today I learned that "gung ho" is from Chinese and that I've been wrong about its meaning for decades.

What did you think it meant/where it came from?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #168 on: 09 Apr 2014, 18:32 »

I've always heard it as an adjective meaning enthusiastic about an upcoming endeavor. "Bob was gung ho about the project."

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #169 on: 09 Apr 2014, 23:47 »

That's kinda like the modern Marine Corps usage, where it's used to describe an enthusiastic or motivated individual or unit in addition to it's traditional place in Marine Corps terminology as a battle or rallying cry. It can also be used with a slightly sarcastic bent to imply one is TOO motivated/enthusiastic.

As Akima said else where the translation works out, but is still probably terrible Chinese. From what I understand "Gōng hé" is a shortened version and slogan of the "gōngyč hézuňshč" (工業合作社) or Chinese Industrial Cooperatives, which was abbreviated as INDUSCO in English. It entered usage with the Marine Corps courtesy of Major Evans Carlson, famously of the 2nd Marine Raider battalion in WW2, sayeth the Major: "I was trying to build up the same sort of working spirit I had seen in China where all the soldiers dedicated themselves to one idea and worked together to put that idea over. I told the boys about it again and again. I told them of the motto of the Chinese Cooperatives, Gung Ho. It means Work Together-Work in Harmony...." from the 2nd Marine Raiders the term spread through Marine Corps culture and language, with the help of touchstone pieces like the movie "Gung Ho" about the 2nd Marine Raiders, and it's now a firmly entrenched part of Marine culture and vocabulary.

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/gungho.html

This short paper however suggests that even what I learned is off, and that the Major was primarily inspired by the Chinese 8th Route Army, who themselves used to the term. *shrug* we were taught the above about Gung Ho in boot camp, even as we learned what it meant, I've never heard the bit about Carlson's time with the 8th Route Army before.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #170 on: 10 Apr 2014, 02:53 »

As Akima said else where the translation works out, but is still probably terrible Chinese.
Yes, it is. "Work together" is just the meaning of the individual characters, it's not really proper Chinese at all. A more correct way to say "Let's work together!" would be 共同努力吧 (gňngtóngnǔlěba).
I've never heard the bit about Carlson's time with the 8th Route Army before.
Well... That is probably because 8th Route Army was communist, and after the way nobody wanted to talk about that in the USA.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #171 on: 10 Apr 2014, 04:05 »

I'm thinking it's more a time/speed thing. The bit about the coops is true, and we're indoctrinating new Marines when we're teaching this stuff, so of the two units we're going to focus on the Marine Raiders.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #172 on: 11 Apr 2014, 21:42 »

What did you think it meant/where it came from?

I had no idea where it came from and had believed it meant something more like "militaristic" or "trigger-happy".

Today I learned what strike anchors are and how to install them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #173 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:42 »

Jingoistic is more what you're looking for there.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #174 on: 13 Apr 2014, 22:20 »

Today I learned how to install a Bosch Evolution wiper blade on a VW Rabbit. It involves taking a part that is hinged to turn only one way and turning it the other way.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #175 on: 14 Apr 2014, 00:10 »

Oh, yesterday I learned how to assemble a computer!
At least in theory. That is, from YouTube.
And more like "how you'd assemble a computer in 2008"  which included the guy repeatedly pointing out he was installing a network card and not a modem.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #176 on: 21 Apr 2014, 12:30 »

Today I learned that in middle and early modern English, "yay" and "nay" were used to respond to a positively-framed question, while "yes" and "no" were used to respond to a negatively-framed question.

Example: "Is he coming?" "Nay, he is not." vs. "Is he not coming?" "No, he is not."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #177 on: 21 Apr 2014, 12:32 »

Interesting. Also weird, I thought it was "aye" and "nay". When did "aye" replace "yay"?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #178 on: 21 Apr 2014, 12:46 »

Actually spelled "yea," oops. But I'm not sure.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #179 on: 21 Apr 2014, 12:52 »

Yea and aye are different, though distantly from the same root.  Aye meaning "ever" and aye indicating assent ("the ayes have it") are from different sources, the second one probably from I (meaning "I" agree).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #180 on: 21 Apr 2014, 12:55 »

And more like "how you'd assemble a computer in 2008"  which included the guy repeatedly pointing out he was installing a network card and not a modem.
bwahaha
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

94ssd

• Hadouken
« Reply #181 on: 21 Apr 2014, 15:18 »

bwahaha

I had to take a stage management book. It was more like "how to Stage Manage in 2000." It only showed its age in the technology chapter, where the author declared the joys of "new" e-mail and instant messaging technologies as stage management tools, but suggested you keep a landline in the theatre for reliability.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #182 on: 12 May 2014, 17:50 »

I learned a word today: patibulary.

It was not in either of the dictionaries in my Kindle, but further research reveals that it means:
(click to show/hide)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #183 on: 24 May 2014, 15:44 »

We went for a short walk during which my wife was puzzled by a strange scent which reminded her of walking around in a forest picking mushrooms. A little later, frickin' rainstorm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/storm-scents-smell-rain/

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3023/what-s-that-smell-right-before-it-rains-plus

Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #184 on: 24 May 2014, 15:58 »

Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #185 on: 25 May 2014, 07:09 »

I didn't know there was a science thread! I'm gonna have to leave it open and catch up later.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #186 on: 25 May 2014, 07:24 »

But this, however, I did not know:

A couple UK scientists, wondering how Bactrian camels in the Gobi desert were supposedly able to sniff out water from 50 miles away, proposed that the animals were actually smelling geosmin carried by the wind from oases.

A survival trait so obviously useful to camels would likewise be advantageous to us. Long ago we were mainly nomads wandering in arid regions. It’s easy to imagine a parched band trudging mapless in the desert looking for the next watering hole. Then the breeze picks up, and what do they detect? Had they lacked the appropriate olfactory adaptation, nothing, with possibly disastrous consequences. As it was, if they were fortunate, they might smell the faint odor of moist earth, and with it the promise that they'd live another day.

Some time ago I was wondering how desert animals are able to do that when there are no olfactory receptors for water. So learning has occurred once more!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Aimless

« Reply #187 on: 15 Jun 2014, 14:23 »

The thing about rolls of foil blew my frickin' mind

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #188 on: 15 Jun 2014, 16:43 »

(click to show/hide)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aimless

« Reply #189 on: 15 Jun 2014, 16:51 »

I have never peeled bananas any other way and I usually just overlap slices of meat rather than cutting them in half (rarely eat square bread anyway) but that foil roll thing I mean just whoa. I mean, we usually use a really neat hand-held dispenser thing the ginger brought home from Japan but now I almost wanna stop using it...

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #190 on: 28 Jun 2014, 21:35 »

Some learning for you today:

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #191 on: 29 Jun 2014, 03:31 »

I thought that was the safety spoon.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #193 on: 29 Jun 2014, 09:02 »

I thought that was the safety spoon.
The spoon is the bit falling off in the picture. For the spoon to fall away what you have to remove the clip, then the pin. Most grenades in movies do not have a clip because it's less dramatic then just pulling out the pin and throwing the grenade.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #194 on: 29 Jun 2014, 09:11 »

I know how grenades work:

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #195 on: 05 Aug 2014, 03:26 »

Fact of the day: Spiders apparently have the same reaction to caffeine that humans do to alcohol.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #196 on: 05 Aug 2014, 05:34 »

Today I learned that Batman is a Time Lord.

(The image resizes too small to read)
http://gaspull.geeksaresexytech.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/batman-time.jpg

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #197 on: 05 Aug 2014, 05:37 »

YESSSSSSSSSSSS I ALWAYS KNEW THIS WAS A THING/
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #198 on: 01 Sep 2014, 22:12 »

Today I learned that the US food stamps program was something that business had advocated as a pro-market initiative.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #199 on: 02 Sep 2014, 05:19 »

Yup. The original idea was to stimulate demand for agricultural products.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up