THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars: Rebels  (Read 38494 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Star Wars: Rebels
« on: 17 Dec 2013, 16:54 »

how the fuck am I just finding out now that they are making a Star Wars animated show that takes place 5 years before A New Hope?!  During the time of the rebellion!  This was all announced back in May!  :-o

After Disney took over Star Wars they cancelled the clone wars (I didn't know it was still on for 5 seasons, it was meh at times for me teetering between kiddy and teen angsty).  So now Disney is going to have their own Star Wars 3D show that takes place in the classic timeline.  The show is so far going to be centered around the imperial inquisition hunting down Jedi remnants.  This is the time line I was always interested.  About the rebellion before and between the 4-6 movies.  It'll be on Disney Channel around fall of 2014.  Kids will be exposed to stormtroopers once again! Huzzah! 

some concept art that they've released:

this is in no way related but I am going to place this right here:
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2013, 12:47 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
Re: Star Wars: Rebels
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2013, 11:11 »

The Clone Wars accomplished a lot in a short time period, they couldn't come up with much else that hadn't yet been done and when they have to bring back a villain that was clearly killed in the first movie they were over the hill with the show...

This should be interesting, it's a clear attempt to stir up interest in the franchise just in time for the movies to come in but in a way that isn't retroactive.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2013, 11:27 »

well there will be another movie that isnt in the saga too from what's been leaked so who knows.  I'm just glad to see some classic star wars stuff to pop up and see what happens with the rebellion before Luke shows up.  Not to mention less jedi intensive things.  Jedi are over powered.
 :-P
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2013, 11:44 »

well there will be another movie that isnt in the saga too from what's been leaked so who knows.  :-P

They are actually part of the saga, it was always supposed to be three trilogies that evolved around a central theme that told a grander story but the final trilogy got put back by George Lucas' projects over the years.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2013, 11:59 »

no, I mean they are continuing the saga with episode 7 but they are also planning a movie that takes place outside of the saga.  I just hope they don't end up like those god awful ewok movies...

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:40 »

no, I mean they are continuing the saga with episode 7 but they are also planning a movie that takes place outside of the saga.  I just hope they don't end up like those god awful ewok movies...

Ah, I see. I thought you were referring to the 2015 movie itself...

They have a template for doing what they are doing with the stand alone films- the Marvel Studios movies.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2013, 12:44 »

so far Disney has done well with marvel, I am hoping their light touch with star wars has better luck than George's twilight years with the franchise has been.  Steering away from the new prequel trilogy back to the classic era is refreshing, for me at least.  :-)

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #7 on: 18 Dec 2013, 16:51 »

so far Disney has done well with marvel, I am hoping their light touch with star wars has better luck than George's twilight years with the franchise has been.  Steering away from the new prequel trilogy back to the classic era is refreshing, for me at least.  :-)

I hate the hate for the prequel trilogy. It had bad moments, but so didn't the first trilogy. The only difference between the two in my not so humble opinion is one had years to grow a fanbase and that fanbase refuses to accept anything that isn't the 1970s crappy CGI and special effects backed movie.

Whatever comes from the movies is all on the new regime at Lucas Arts, all George did was give them his rough outline of the movies but everything else is to be added by the actual screenwriter(s).

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #8 on: 18 Dec 2013, 21:29 »

My issue is more the fact that everything is all old republic stuff and I just really want to see more of the rebellion stuff.  Sure the original trilogy has its faults but the prequel trilogy just has way more glaring ones, to me anyways.  I still enjoy them but if I ever introduce anyone to the saga I always start with 4-6 then 1-3.

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2013, 22:04 »

I know this is a bit OT, but I can't wait til the new star wars movie comes out so I can say "Ha! I fucking TOLD you that there wouldn't be Mickey Mouse in it!"

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #10 on: 28 Dec 2013, 05:51 »

My issue is more the fact that everything is all old republic stuff and I just really want to see more of the rebellion stuff.  Sure the original trilogy has its faults but the prequel trilogy just has way more glaring ones, to me anyways.  I still enjoy them but if I ever introduce anyone to the saga I always start with 4-6 then 1-3.

Prepare to nerd out, there are several ways of viewing the Star Wars hexology/saga.

1) Theatrical release order: IV, V, VI, I, II, III
2) Chronological order: I, II, III, IV, V, VI
3) The 'Ernst Rister order': IV, V, I, II, III, VI
4) The 'Machete order': IV, V, II, III, VI (note that Episode I is missing)

I like the last two because they actually focus on making the story make sense. From the original blog post that deals with the 'Machete Order':

Every character established in Episode I is either killed or removed before it ends (Darth Maul, Qui-Gon, Chancellor Valorum), unimportant (Nute Gunray, Watto), or established better in a later episode (Mace Windu, Darth Sidious).

He's kind of got a point. Without relying on the Plinket commentary, Episode 1, whether you love or hate it, is kind of irrelevant in this trilogy, and the saga itself. The idea that the story is left with the cliffhanger of Episode V, before fleshing out the story of Anakin Skywalker via Episodes II and III makes for a more satisfying conclusion in VI.

If you're going to introduce someone new to Star Wars, make it either options 3 or 4. Source

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #11 on: 28 Dec 2013, 09:27 »

A friend of mine has never seen star wars. I had planned to do the Machete order but everyone at the office demanded I let him watch it using the theatrical order. So far he has seen 4-6 and 1 and 2.  There is one difference though.  I am adding this between 2 and 3.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #12 on: 28 Dec 2013, 15:50 »

I'd never seen it either until recently, when my boyfriend who is a huge Star Wars geek showed it to me. He told me to watch 1, 2 and 3, and never bother with the rest.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Lupercal

« Reply #13 on: 28 Dec 2013, 16:29 »

Lee - good call on the Clone Wars film! I think that the show gets better as it progresses.

Metope - that must be the first time I've ever heard someone say not to bother with the original trilogy. Did your boyfriend give a reason? He may be justified, or he might just have Incorrect Taste In Sci-Fi. Yes, I am the Star Wars Police. :police:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #14 on: 04 Feb 2014, 14:52 »

Star Wars: Rebel's facebook page has been mighty busy today, posting recruitment posters hours between themselves.  Perhaps an honest to god trailer coming out soon?

the executive producer gives me hope!
http://video.disney.com/watch/disneyxd-simon-kinberg-star-wars-rebels-profile-4edb0f5163252ff7919b0f22
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2014, 15:19 by LeeC »

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 04 Feb 2014, 16:48 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #16 on: 04 Feb 2014, 16:51 »

I did the research and that is fan art (if its suppose to be mara jade)

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 04 Feb 2014, 17:18 »

Dang, cause I saw it with this originally

Which also means this isn't real

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #18 on: 04 Feb 2014, 17:54 »

yup, these too

just beautiful, beautiful fan art.  The producer said he wants brand new characters with a new story.  I am not saying Mara Jade will not show up, but as far as we know, nothing has come up of it.  They already said who the emperor has chasing the characters.  This dude:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2014, 15:32 »

so we have our jedi cowboy
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/02/11/freddie-prinze-jr-star-wars-rebels-first-look/4802651/
voiced by freddie prince junior.

I am hopeful.  Freddie did a good job in the mass effect movie and in mass effect 3.

Lupercal

« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2014, 15:34 »

Mass Effect...movie?

This guy looks like a stand in for Kyle Katarn. Which is cool, cos Kyle had the lost-my-father/jedi sensitivity of Luke, combined with the cocky, gun-toting brashness of Han.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #21 on: 13 Feb 2014, 21:06 »

yeah they came out with a mass effect movie on the story Vega mentioned to shepard when they were sparing.  Its done in anime style.  I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.  It was good but not exactly re-watchable.  If you are a huge ME fan, get it!

Mass Effect: Paragon Lost

anyways I am hoping he is Katarn like.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #22 on: 14 Feb 2014, 15:09 »

Looks like we got our possible main character?

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Lupercal

« Reply #24 on: 19 Feb 2014, 15:52 »

Damn it, got the Star Wars Goosebumps for the first time since 2005.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #25 on: 19 Feb 2014, 16:11 »

i'm super excited to see some old school star wars awesomeness!  Couple this with Battlefront 3 coming out... My cup runith over!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 19 Feb 2014, 18:41 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #27 on: 24 Feb 2014, 09:32 »

hey now that Star Wars reigns are no longer in Mad Georgy's hands, I am willing to be optimistic with my favorite childhood sci-fantasy.

Steve Blum!

So far the crew is

Pilot: Twi'lek named Hera
Jedi/Captain?: Kanan
Muscle: Zeb
Street wise kid: Ezra
Droid/Mechanic: Chopper
Tough chick: Sabine

looks like we just need a companion and a doctor... :wink:

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #28 on: 01 Mar 2014, 18:56 »

This guy looks like a stand in for Kyle Katarn. Which is cool, cos Kyle had the lost-my-father/jedi sensitivity of Luke, combined with the cocky, gun-toting brashness of Han.

"What would you do without me, Kyle?"

"I'd be a content old man!"

Katarn and the X-Wing series are the best parts of the Expanded Universe. Years later my stupid brain still inserts parts of the dialogue from those games and books. Though I should point out I have a fondness for 'Truce at Bakura' and the Ssi-ruuk.

Also I'm sort of surprised no one's even talked about a Yuuzhon Vong movie yet.

EDIT: because I'm bad at quotes apparently.

EDIT AGAIN: i am the worst at quotes

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #29 on: 01 Mar 2014, 22:00 »

Also I'm sort of surprised no one's even talked about a Yuuzhon Vong movie yet.

to be perfectly honest I hope they fade from memory and never show up in the light of day as movie cannon.

of anything from the EU, I wouldn't mind seeing this:

Staring Cumberbatch as Thrawn
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2014, 22:07 by LeeC »

Lupercal

« Reply #30 on: 03 Mar 2014, 15:42 »

Seriously, some of the EU cover art is brilliant. Would genuinely love some posters made from the illustrations of those books - helped keep the "this could be a movie" idea alive.

It certainly would spice things up a bit if a new enemy would be unearthed. Even in the EU there was a fair amount of 'Remnant Empire' stuff.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #31 on: 05 Mar 2014, 19:35 »

I'm gonna go ahead and say this: on reflection, a couple movies for a reworking of the Ssi-Ruuvi concepts could actually be pretty tight. Put a Force user in the party, but don't normally make them the *main* character like Luke was, more like Han maybe. Explore the tensions a bit between a declining Empire and an already showing-cracks Alliance as it steps up to take the big boy's chair.  Really sell us a callously (but not sadistic) racist culture that values other species as glorified batteries, make that entechment thing all the awful, and make it be a sumbitch fight to break the back of the incursion fleet. Bonus points for a good depiction of the awkwardness of Rebels and Stormtroopers trying to work together on something for a change. Could be cool.

Or could fail pretty badly.

I think Cumberbatch as Thrawn might be neat, but I've actually committed Star Wars EU blasphemy and never bothered to read those yet. Yes, yes I know people say they're awesome, but I've been mostly out of SW for years by the time i heard of them. I *did* read one of those for-teenagers not-really-canon books that had him as a secondary character, seemed okay.

Lupercal

« Reply #32 on: 06 Mar 2014, 12:39 »

I don't think you're missing out on the EU. My main EU experiences came from video games - and as a kid/teen, these are brilliant at immersing you back into Star Wars. I re-read the Jedi Academy Trilogy and didn't think too much of it...but there are interesting bits of info here and there. I honestly think Lando is one of the more interesting characters, just because you get to know him.

And they don't shy away from going Return of the Jedi and re-inventing the Death Star every now and then. Pretty sure one book deals with the Empire using the prototype Death Star, which is just a spherical frame, a room, and a laser, and a hutt-built "Darksaber" which is just a Death Star in a different shape.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #33 on: 06 Mar 2014, 13:47 »

Every other fucking day it's another superweapon.

One of the reasons I liked the X-Wing books so much, they sort of managed to avoid the worst of that. Bioterrorism and warlord fleets and stuff like that instead.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #34 on: 08 Mar 2014, 03:19 »

Hell the fourth book was all about economic terrorism and politics, while the Wraith Squadron books proved that you can have Fighter Jockies and Operators in the same squadron, even doing the same job.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #36 on: 09 Mar 2014, 10:31 »

Binging on The Clone Wars on Netflix makes me miss the original Clone Wars cartoon. Now I'm looking at the toys from the original series and seriously contemplating getting some of them.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.
« Reply #37 on: 13 Mar 2014, 20:56 »

I have to admit (slightly off topic but this conversation got me thinking about star wars again) that I am one of the Pro-Empire guys. Not a huge fan of the Rebels. Yea the Empire did terrible things, but overall I see them as more grey than black. The Rebels had different goals, but they didn't seem any better (and in some cases worse)

Now back on topic: Can't wait for the new show! I many not be a kid anymore but I like to feel like one every once in a while.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #38 on: 14 Mar 2014, 07:19 »

I have to play devil's advocate here: How is blowing up an innocent peaceful populated planet in the grey area?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #39 on: 14 Mar 2014, 07:31 »

Corran Horn is a massive EU Mary Sue... and one of my favorite characters ever.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #40 on: 14 Mar 2014, 07:51 »

I would compare Palpatine's Empire more with the British Empire than say, Nazi Germany. They did horrible things at times and kept an iron grip... Exploiting natural resources from the natives... but as long as those natives 'knew their place' they were mostly left alone, and they kept order. It was still an oppressive regime though. And of course, the Emperor was evil with a capital EVIL, so naturally some of the highest officers (Grand Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader) did some of the worst things, and anything coming directly from the top was probably going to be bad for a lot of people. But for the most part, the Empire grew out of the Galactic Republic, which were just ordinary people. And the soldiers (post Clones, of course) were just people... Some good, some bad. They may have done good... but the price for that good was awfully darn high, even if you don't count things like Alderaan.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #41 on: 16 Mar 2014, 08:59 »

Stilling binging on The Clone Wars on Netflix. There are some odd time jumps and they don't really explain them.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 22 Mar 2014, 16:35 »

Finished the shows TV run, on to the Netflix exclusive season

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #43 on: 23 Mar 2014, 15:10 »

Finished the last season of The Clone Wars. Overall I'd have to say the series was ok but not great. Some strange episodes, mainly Jar Jar episodes, kept it from greatness. I will say it did get better overall as the series progressed, but the last few episodes were a strange ending to the series.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2014, 19:01 by Blue Kitty »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #44 on: 23 Mar 2014, 18:41 »

It was probably strange because i think there was to be one final full season to wrap everything up but I could be wrong about that.  i will admit i have seen some episodes but not all.  Many of the episodes felt stale, too kiddy, or intended for teens/tweens to identify with (frustrated that their parents don;t see it their way blah blah blah).  Some episodes were good or interesting though.  All in all I'd say "meh"

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #45 on: 23 Mar 2014, 19:14 »

Also, they never really tied up what happened to Ashoka or Maul

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #46 on: 23 Mar 2014, 19:38 »

I thought they did with Ashoka
(click to show/hide)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #47 on: 24 Mar 2014, 11:21 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #48 on: 24 Mar 2014, 11:46 »

Man I'd put that in a spoiler considering CW just came out on netflix and not everyone has seen it.  :-P

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #49 on: 24 Mar 2014, 11:58 »

That video was from that last episode of season 5 though.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up