Winslow gets an upgrade to an iPad
The band becomes big in Boston
Yelling Bird takes a sensitivity course
Waffleburgers with Spathe Ham
Butts!!!!
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Whatever it is, it'll be unexpected

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2613-2617 (Jan 6 - 10 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 51205 times)

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

If we saw that in real life that employee would have been fired and the coffee house sued.
I would say "might", not "would".  The witnesses get to decide what happens, though as Dora hints at, it is only special circumstances that allow this.  (If it were to happen more often, the coffee shop would get a bad name ... it might even stick in court.  With Vicky as the only case, they can get away with it, no problem.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The QC world seems to tolerate more casual violence than ours does.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I hesitate to call that violence or casual.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Arm punchings (multiple), Gibbs slaps (back-of-head slaps, if you're not into "NCIS"), at least one outright decking, a boob-punch (maybe in sisterly affection, who knows?) and of course a milk-dousing. Those are just off the top of my head, and not counting a couple impromptu laserings of inanimate objects.

Casually violent, or violently casual? Take your pick.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

If we saw that in real life that employee would have been fired and the coffee house sued.
I would say "might", not "would".  The witnesses get to decide what happens, though as Dora hints at, it is only special circumstances that allow this.  (If it were to happen more often, the coffee shop would get a bad name ... it might even stick in court.  With Vicky as the only case, they can get away with it, no problem.)

And what makes you think she hasn't already damaged their reputation? She has shown she is terrible to the customers, and something like that would put it over the line to the point that people would not set foot in there harming the business. And the court case, which in this society would happen, her past history of being terrible to the customers would harm the shop. She would have to go, if only to save the shop from further damage.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

And what makes you think she hasn't already damaged their reputation?
On the contrary, her cruel flavor of snarkiness is directly responsible for a great deal of their business.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Dora's comment that that kind of behaviour would usually lose her the job.  This is a first, it seems.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

On the contrary, her cruel flavor of snarkiness is directly responsible for a great deal of their business.

That and that positive writeup in the local indie rag. (Dear God, was that almost 2,000 strips ago????)

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What's funny is Dora is wrong about him meaning a large. Grande is used for medium (which is weird, consider the word LITERALLY MEANS LARGE).

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Yeah, usually it happens the other way, like when McDonald's renamed their drink sizes a few years back - small became kids, medium became small, large became medium, and what they now call large is just excessive...   
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

What's funny is Dora is wrong about him meaning a large. Grande is used for medium (which is weird, consider the word LITERALLY MEANS LARGE).

I think she was shaming him on more than one level - for using Starbucks-speak in the first place, and subtly digging at him because she knew (as you stated) that grande meant large and he was a douche for not just ordering what he really wanted, which seemed to be a medium.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

Yeah, usually it happens the other way, like when McDonald's renamed their drink sizes a few years back - small became kids, medium became small, large became medium, and what they now call large is just excessive...   

Makes sense. If the size of the drink is doubled, the overall cost to make it goes up by what... 1% (extra water and slightly more paper in the cup). They then add 50% to the price, which is pure profit. 

Though renaming the small size "kids" is clever. It psychologically puts it off limits to adults and makes it highly likely they'll buy the larger, more profitable sizes.

Zwammy

Though renaming the small size "kids" is clever. It psychologically puts it off limits to adults and makes it highly likely they'll buy the larger, more profitable sizes.

I used to go hit McDonald's when they had something called "All American Meal" and it was essentially a Happy Meal with no toy. Was only a couple bucks and the portion size was all I needed. They don't have it anymore, but I don't mind buying a Happy Meal and tossing the toy if it feeds me cheap.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

When I did a cross-country Greyhound trip, almost every food stop was at a McDonalds.

$1 for a double cheeseburger or a crispy chicken snack wrap of some kind (330-440 calories), $1 for a small fry (230), quickly inhaled, and back on the bus.

Protip: Don't do a cross-country Greyhound trip.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I probably wouldn't have anyway, but thanks for the tip because I would starve.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Indicible

• Jaegermonster impersonator

Don't do a cross-country Greyhound trip.

You Americans have problems, we Europeans simply cannot fathom...
Signature OF DOOM!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

That's probably because Europeans can't fathom how big the US is.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Europe isn't exactly insignificant itself.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Protip: Don't do a cross-country Greyhound trip.
I once went from Maryland to Oklahoma and back on a Greyhound bus. NEVER AGAIN.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I spent 20 hours on a coach between Edinburgh and Penzance once, it was horrible. Of course I've also spent several days on coaches across Europe, but at least we stopped and could get out sometimes.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I love long road trips but only if I'm driving at least some of it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

So, what's on the cards for this year?

Wil returns as a tattooed biker .......... 8 (4.2%)
Raven returns on a Timeosaurus .......... 14 (7.4%)
Angus and Faye get engaged, marry and divorce by next Christmas .......... 6 (3.2%)
Dale nails Marigold by April .......... 30 (15.9%)
Tai and Dora - QC's resident married lesbian couple by September .......... 10 (5.3%)
Pintsize finds religion and starts his own cult .......... 16 (8.5%)
Winslow gets an upgrade to an iPad .......... 14 (7.4%)
The band becomes big in Boston .......... 16 (8.5%)
Yelling Bird takes a sensitivity course .......... 8 (4.2%)
Waffleburgers with Spathe Ham ,,,,,,,,,, 5 (2.6%)
Butts!!!! .......... 28 (14.8%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher .......... 5 (2.6%)
Whatever it is, it'll be unexpected .......... 29 (15.3%)

1st)   Dale nails Marigold by April .......... 30 (15.9%)
2nd)  Whatever it is, it'll be unexpected .......... 29 (15.3%)
3rd)   Butts!!!! .......... 28 (14.8%)
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2014, 10:16 by Kugai »
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

All three of those could and would be true at once.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Indeed
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm not quite comfortable with the Marigold/Dale sex talk.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

In theory, the trip was supposed to be 59 hours one way including layovers and meal breaks, from Columbus, OH to Portland, OR, via a more southerly route (through Denver). 2600ish miles one way: http://goo.gl/maps/xHAxG (I left off a lot of stops, only included the ones that were either at major Greyhound locations, major to the trip (the Salina, KS stop was a truck stop, but there's a driver change there), or were important for the routing.)

In practice, it was more like 63 hours on the way out due to 340 miles of bilzzard conditions in Oregon, and 65 hours on the way back due to them failing to dispatch a driver in Salina, KS.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

When I went from Maryland to Oklahoma, I got stuck much of the night in Indianapolis, because the bus driver went missing.

On the way back I sat next to a guy who appeared to be suffering drug withdrawal effects, from St. Louis to Columbus.

One nice thing, though, is the experience doesn't seem to be nearly as bad if you're east of Pittsburgh.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I'm not quite comfortable with the Marigold/Dale sex talk.

I've tolerated a bit more than usual this week because of the "true to the characters" aspect - given that in canon we both Marigold and Dale dating and Marten's life being discussed and channelled (by Tai taking him to a party), a certain amount of projection is to be expected within genuine discussion of the comic.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I've done cross country bus trips before.. Georgia to California and back again. It took about 4 days for each trip, almost straight driving though. The scary part was just crossing Texas took a day of that trip in itself... The food options weren't as bad as this though. They tended to stop in truck stations, not McDonalds. So the food was slightly better quality and more variety.

Indicible

• Jaegermonster impersonator

Thing is, when confronted with a long trip, I am under the impression Europeans prefer trains or planes. Buses... Well, not so much. Some nationalities do use them, but not so extensively as the Americans, I think.

And when it comes to eating, in foreign land, I have always found something other than Mc Donald's. Generally a doner fast-food. I take a durum, by the way.
Signature OF DOOM!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Thing is, when confronted with a long trip, I am under the impression Europeans prefer trains or planes. Buses... Well, not so much. Some nationalities do use them, but not so extensively as the Americans, I think.
Your impression would be correct. I think.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

And when it comes to eating, in foreign land, I have always found something other than Mc Donald's. Generally a doner fast-food. I take a durum, by the way.
When I was in Brazil, the people I stayed with were surprised that I refused to eat at McDonald's. Why would I when there were better (and much cheaper) options available?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well as far as long distance travel in the US goes, if you are taking the bus it is because you can't afford a plane ticket. And rail travel is very hit or miss. Sure I would have rather taken a train, but passenger rail service just didn't go in those areas. Some places yes... Commuter rail was pretty common where I lived and worked in California. Where I live now there is some rail as part of the MARTA public transport system. But where I lived before there were only freight trains passing through. Person I would love to see more money put into expanding a passenger rail service in the USA.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Cleveland to Sandusky, Ohio, following an overnight boat trip was enough Greyhound for me, thanks. Though I have a friend who swears by MegaBus for longer trips. Apparently those buses -- excuse me, coaches -- are a little more comfortable and, depending on your timing, cheaper.

As for the European train preference -- it probably comes down to the train options for Americans falling away pretty quickly once you get away from either coast. Aside from a few rail routes which are entirely at the mercy of the freight lines, your mass-transit options are the rubber-tired people box or things with wings. Or, you know, drive your own dam' self.

Toledo, Ohio to Leavenworth, KS in a minivan driven by a nephew who absolutely does NOT like to make stops ... well, at least I was with people I knew.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened

well, at least I was with people I knew.

That may or may not be a good thing. 

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

How prevalent are prearranged hitchhiking rides in the states? I.e. you announce somewhere (e.g. a website) that on $date, you will be going to $place and have space for $number of people going in the same direction. Then you take them along and split gas money.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Milwaukee Metro area to Phoenix area. Two nights. Oh God.
Just another Joe like 46

Zwammy

I've driven from Louisiana to Michigan several times, and from NC to Arizona a couple of times. As long as I'm involved in driving and have a say in when to stop for breaks I'm ok. No bus rides, thank goodness. Plenty of air travel from place to place, too. No thanks to a bus ride.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Loki, ride boards are a thing at a lot of colleges - at least, they used to be when I was back in school (Oh god, that was in the 80's).  Some requests were for weekends, most were for breaks (spring, winter or thanksgiving).  Usually for the end of the year you needed to haul all your stuff, too, so a ride wasn't usually an option.  Parents with a large vehicle / U-haul were the usual result. 

Personally, I had an old VW bus.   :-D

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm pretty sure you can do ride shares on Craigslist.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I'd sooner walk to my destination then arrange a ride share on Craig's List. I'm very attached to my kidneys thank you very much.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

There are dedicated lift-sharing sites though, which often have systems for checking people are who they say they are, so your kidneys should be a bit safer.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up