Padma!
- 2 (2.8%)
Police join the party
- 9 (12.5%)
Waffles raid the party
- 5 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2618-2622 (Jan 13 - 17 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 43104 times)

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

It actually is possible to manufacture helium, although currently it's extremely expensive relative to extracting existing helium.

Nuclear fusion, or what are you referring to?
Not fusion using current technology, that would be *really* expensive (although the QC universe may be different, as it is far ahead of us technologically). But radioactive decay produce helium in the form of alpha particles, so a radioactive sample in a closed container would, over time, produce small amounts of helium. Actually, this is how the helium we mine from gas wells have formed over millions of years.

Helium should be considered a limited natural resource, to be used only for serious purposes. It really is a waste to use helium just for fun. And it can be dangerous to inhale helium, as it may lead to asphyxiation and brain damage. Read this article for more info.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I've reread today's strip a few times now, and it strikes me as a bit odd that the girl sitting on the bench isn't introduced to Marten, or aknowledged at all, really. I can only assume that means she will be introduced to Marten in tomorrow's strip, which might mean that she'll have a larger role to play than that of random bystander. But I might be reading too much into things, as usual...
What do you know about Pokémon?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

See, I like puns/plays-on-words more than most. But I think it's deeply inappropriate to use them in a serious context, because it undermines the message. And it sucks, because that was an informative article otherwise.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

See, I like puns/plays-on-words more than most. But I think it's deeply inappropriate to use them in a serious context, because it undermines the message. And it sucks, because that was an informative article otherwise.
:facepalm: I really have to disagree. This is an Aussie version of PartyCity. A serious context might not have the same impact on the presumed audience. You must tailor your message to the audience if you want to be noticed.

By the way, PartyCity do not have a similar warning on their helium products :x

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

I think Bench Girl makes a sad impression, like she doesn't even want to be there.
Marten is gonna end up talking to her.
Agreed, Bench Girl looks promising. Jeph wouldn't draw her just as a background character without a purpose :-D. She looks sad, though, like she has been commandeered to do do this job, but would rather be somewhere else.

I'm joining Team Bench Girl. She seems like a good girl to hang out with.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I like her dress, but we don't really know much about her yet. She might be an awful person.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I like her dress, but we don't really know much about her yet. She might be an awful person.
No, she looks really nice. Awful persons don't look nice.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I'm just trying to figure out what the heck that is she used to inflate the "weed balloon"?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

People, don't use helium for cheap laughs at parties. It's a finite resource with a lot of seriously useful uses and when we run out we are fucked.

It actually is possible to manufacture helium, although currently it's extremely expensive relative to extracting existing helium.

Fission is a lot cheaper and easier, plus it occurs naturally on Earth. The uranium decay chains for example, generally produces several α-particles before it settles on a stable isotope of lead, all of which could theoretically be collected.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2014, 07:28 by Mr_Rose »
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I'm just trying to figure out what the heck that is she used to inflate the "weed balloon"?
It's a vaporizer.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

People, don't use helium for cheap laughs at parties. It's a finite resource with a lot of seriously useful uses and when we run out we are fucked.

Fission is a lot cheaper and easier, plus it occurs naturally on Earth. The uranium decay chains for example, generally produces several α-particles before it settles on a stable isotope of lead, all of which could theoretically be collected.

That is where all our helium comes from, actually. From the natural radioactivity in the earh. And that is why it is practically a limited recource. Of course the decay of uranium produces new alpha particles all the time, but the process is very slow. It can't keep up with how fast we blast helium into the atmosphere (and then into space) right now. In fact most physics institutes and the like have (almost, like 1% loss) closed helium circles, but for example hospitals, which also need helium to cool the superconducting magnets in the MRI machines, often don't.
I haven't heard of a process available to us with current technology to produce helium, other than getting some from nuclear reactors, which only produce very small amounts.
So one really shouldn't waste helium. It cannot be replaced with anything else in many areas of science/medicine, specifically those working at ultra-low temperatures.

Edit on the topic of inhaling various gases: There is something way more entertaining than inhaling helium: Inhaling sulphur hexafluoride. However, this is also way more dangerous and should NOT EVER be attempted at home. Sulphur hexafluoride is heavier than air and thus makes your voice really deep - it sounds awesome. My first experimental physics professor did it in the lecture, but afterwards he had to do a handstand for a while to make the gas come back out of his lungs in order not to impair his lung functions - since it's heavier than air, it won't come out again otherwise and that's what makes it dangerous.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2014, 08:37 by Mlle Germain »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Really, helium being inert has caused it to be used places where hydrogen would make much more sense.

kyomi

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!

I am disappointed there is no "Purple monkey dishwasher" option in the poll this week :(

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

GO bench Girl!
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

So are we breaking out the hashtags and T-shirts for Team Bench Girl yet?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

SWING girl.  She's on a porch swing, not a bench. 

C'mon, people! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I wonder if it's such a good idea to do this infront o the house. I mean, I would probably get suspicious if I saw somebody inhaling from a bag or balloon. Either vaporized stuff or N₂O but probably nothing legal. (Though I don't know the situation on N₂O in the US. Here you're allowed to buy it and use it for it's designated purpose, that is making whipped cream, but inhaling it is illegal. Theoretically it's illegal to buy it with the intent to inhale it.

But anyway, I would get very suspicious if I saw something like this.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

SWING girl.  She's on a porch swing, not a bench.
Hmm - I did not notice at first, but that hookup is not stable. You need a 4-way hookup, like this.

Perhaps Marten can help Bench Girl making weed smoke balloon animals?

Carl-E

• Awakened

I'm thinking Jeph didn't have a good reference handy.  But yeah, that's a terrible swing setup. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

And it can be dangerous to inhale helium, as it may lead to asphyxiation and brain damage.

In contrast to Butts Disease, which can lead to assfixation and brain damage.

Tai turned down drugs?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

If you take a radioactive material that emits alpha particles, then add electrons, you get helium atoms. But either you wait a long time, or you have to deal with a fuckton of radiation to get any useful amounts from this process.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Tai seems to have been changing a fair bit lately - another example of character development I guess!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

And it can be dangerous to inhale helium, as it may lead to asphyxiation and brain damage.
In contrast to Butts Disease, which can lead to assfixation and brain damage.
:-D :-D :-D The assfixation is a very central element in QC. Just check my signature below.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Tai turned down drugs?
Tai seems to have been changing a fair bit lately - another example of character development I guess!

Actually, what she said was "I'm good".  Which reminds me of those people who have a couple of beers before a party to "get an early start". 

Satan

• Not quite a lurker
  • Mein Fuhrer! I CAN WALK!

Totally though Bench Girl was trying to iron her skirt while wearing it in the first panel.
i will bong and fong with you

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

I wonder if it's such a good idea to do this infront o the house. I mean, I would probably get suspicious if I saw somebody inhaling from a bag or balloon. Either vaporized stuff or N₂O but probably nothing legal. (Though I don't know the situation on N₂O in the US. Here you're allowed to buy it and use it for it's designated purpose, that is making whipped cream, but inhaling it is illegal. Theoretically it's illegal to buy it with the intent to inhale it.

But anyway, I would get very suspicious if I saw something like this.

It's the same here as your country, you can buy it legally and it gets used for multiple legal purposes but it's illegal when it is used for the intent of getting high.

Actually, there was a bust at a concert in the real Northampton in 2009 regarding the usage of Nitrous Oxide.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Sings*  My, my MYYYYY Delilah     ;D

This should prove to be an ...... interesting phartay.

Sourced from Wikipedia artical on Helium-3.

Current US industrial consumption of helium-3 is approximately 60,000 liters (approximately 8 kg) per year;[27] cost at auction has typically been approximately $100/liter although increasing demand has raised prices to as much as $2,000/liter in recent years.[28] Helium-3 is naturally present in small quantities due to radioactive decay, but virtually all helium-3 used in industry is manufactured. Helium-3 is a product of tritium decay, and tritium can be produced through neutron bombardment of deuterium, lithium, boron, or nitrogen targets. Production of tritium in significant quantities requires the high neutron flux of a nuclear reactor; breeding tritium with lithium-6 consumes the neutron, while breeding with lithium-7 produces a low energy neutron as a replacement for the consumed fast neutron.
Current supplies of helium-3 come, in part, from the dismantling of nuclear weapons where it accumulates,[29][30] however the need for warhead disassembly is diminishing. Consequently tritium itself is in short supply, and the US Department of Energy recently began producing it by the lithium irradiation method at the Tennessee Valley Authority's Watts Bar reactor.[27] Substantial quantities of tritium could also be extracted from the heavy water moderator in CANDU nuclear reactors.
Production of helium-3 from tritium at a rate sufficient to meet world demand will require significant investment, as tritium must be produced at the same rate as helium-3, and approximately eighteen times as much tritium must be maintained in storage as the amount of helium-3 produced annually by decay (production rate dN/dt from number of moles or other unit mass of tritium N, is N γ = N (ln 2)/t½ where the value of t½/(ln 2) is about 18 years; see radioactive decay). If commercial fusion reactors were to use helium-3 as a fuel, they would require tens of tonnes of helium-3 each year to produce a fraction of the world's power, requiring substantial expansion of facilities for tritium production and storage.[31]
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Ordinary helium is Helium-4 (2 protons, 2 neutrons). Helium-3 (2 protons, 1 neutron) is much more rare, expensive, and valuable. You certainly could not afford that in balloons. The tritium method is the only practical method to produce Helium-3, as it is almost impossible to extract Helium-3 from the (very small) fraction present in naturally occurring helium.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I dunno, I'd say "I'm good" if offered alcohol or drugs and I don't do drugs and very rarely drink. What I mean is "I'm good without", not "I'm good because I've had some already". Of course Tai might well mean the latter but she doesn't necessarily.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Ordinary helium is Helium-4. Helium-3 is much more rare, expensive, and valuable.

Specifically, 3He is 0.000137% of naturally occurring Helium on Earth.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Ordinary helium is Helium-4. Helium-3 is much more rare, expensive, and valuable.

Actually, the ratio varies between different reservoirs. But 3He is very rare. Enough nitpicking for today.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well, we know that Tai enjoys the occasional recreational substance. Presumably this girl knows that as well. I don't think we really need to read that much into this though, it just could be that Tai doesn't want to get high right now. I mean she's really only there for Marten's sake anyway.

Oglokoog

• Not quite a lurker

That's the kinda party I like.

Also, it's not smoke. Geez, Marten.

specter177

• Balloon animal serial killer

Actually, the ratio varies between different reservoirs. But 3He is very rare. Enough nitpicking for today.

Not sure how accurate this is, since I'm taking it from sources I only half remember, but isn't one of the major reasons cited for returning to the moon due to the high amount of 3He there is?

Litch

• Not quite a lurker

The volcano bags aren't latex, they're more like roasting bags (nylon I think). They aren't stretchy and wouldn't tie into balloon animals. Trying it would likely break the bag and result in a lot of sad stoners.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

The volcano bags aren't latex, they're more like roasting bags (nylon I think). They aren't stretchy and wouldn't tie into balloon animals. Trying it would likely break the bag and result in a lot of sad stoners.

I'm just mean enough to say, let them find that out.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Litch

• Not quite a lurker

Now, if you could mix the post smoke with helium, no one would ever stop laughing.

Did you mean nitrous oxide? Or just the squeaky voice thing being funny?

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Jeph wouldn't draw her just as a background character without a purpose :-D.

I don't know, he's done a lot of walk-ons that are just there to fill things out or say/do specific things to further the storyline, then disappear. Just have wait and see.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Sad that girl is just being referred to as "bench girl" or "swing girl".  Give her a name please Sir Jeph.

Oh.  It would be weird if Padma showed up - and it's weird, I actually THOUGHT OF THAT shortly before this strip came up.

I always vote and then go "oh wait, I should have voted for THIS....." and didn't.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Now that we've made a thing out of it, swing girl will never beer seen again.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Zwammy

Actually, what she said was "I'm good".  Which reminds me of those people who have a couple of beers before a party to "get an early start".

Pre-gaming - I can see Tai doing that, seeing that she had no problem doing it at work.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Honestly, I would hope that Padma wouldn't just show up at a party or something and run into Marten accidentally. That would me she came back into town and never let him know. Which would pretty much indicate that she didn't want to see him for whatever reason. Also kind of dumb thing to do if you were trying to avoid your ex and not let him know you were around... The town isn't that big apparently, so she would run into him eventually...

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Bob's a hugger

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

now that's a hearty welcome.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Bob could probably bench press Lt. Potter.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm the same way, really. I'll hug anyone.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Indicible

• Jaegermonster impersonator

It's not a hug, it's a bear hug!
Signature OF DOOM!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I am disappointed there is no "Purple monkey dishwasher" option in the poll this week :(

It was his week off.

[RowanAtkinsonVoice]Hello ... Bob.[/RowanAtkinsonVoice]
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ehh, I don't know. It feels wrong to keep using Purple Monkey Dishwasher now that Marcia Wallace is dead :(

Maybe it should be retired.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened

It was his week off.

[RowanAtkinsonVoice]Hello ... Bob.[/RowanAtkinsonVoice]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up