THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 22:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: British forum meetup  (Read 10679 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
British forum meetup
« on: 16 Jan 2014, 09:40 »

We tried one of these back in April but I think only May and Welu went in the end.

London seems like a logical location to do it one weekend and I'm there reasonably often anyway so it's convenient for me. What do people think?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
Re: British forum meetup
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2014, 09:43 »

I don't object to London in theory, but am intending to visit Oxford at the end of March so would like to propose that as an alternative, somewhat selfishly since it's much harder for me to travel than it used to be, especially with all the opera rehearsals I have over the next few months.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2014, 09:49 »

Somewhat hilariously, Oxford is so preposterously convenient for me and at least one other forumite that I didn't want to suggest in case I seemed selfish.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2014, 10:05 »

Provided I can find a really cheap flight, I'd like to come as well. No idea if Oxford or London would be better for that, but probably London?

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2014, 10:09 »

I will be traveling the UK with my boyfriend in March, unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Oxford or London. Besides Glasgow we're going to Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Liverpool and Bristol though so if anyone are able/willing to hang out I'd be down.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2014, 10:22 »

Well, the reason I'd be coming to Oxford would be to see said forumites, so there's that!

ChaoSera, you'd probably fly into "London" but most of the London airports are so far away from London that it's ridiculous. I don't remember which one is closest/most convenient for Oxford but there'll probably be a direct train.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2014, 10:26 »

Wait, you're coming to Oxford that express reason? Who you seeing?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2014, 10:49 »

Shenanigans and secrets 8-) Actually that's not true, I just wanted to make myself sound more mysterious. I wanted to go somewhere during my annual leave, and Oxford seems as good as anywhere.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2014, 10:55 »

Well let's bare minimum this shit and say you're seeing me at least. That's two people on board. Who else is in?

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:03 »

As coincidence would have it, I'm going to be in Oxford at the end of the March so could be a third.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:05 »

I'm talking specifically the weekend of the 22nd; I have a bunch of opera rehearsals the following week so I'd only be there a night or two.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:14 »

Well, let's get this out there.  My choir is giving a concert on Sat 22nd March, in the chapel of (almost certainly) Exeter College, Oxford (quite close to the pub we went to once, TSK).  It's churchy music, as you might expect in that location - specifically, anthem settings of words by George Herbert, mostly twentieth century.  I shall be tied up most of the day with rehearsals, being librarian, recording, and the like - but there will be certain times when I would be accessible.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:26 »

Provided I can find a really cheap flight, I'd like to come as well. No idea if Oxford or London would be better for that, but probably London?

Oxford is really easy from Heathrow by two buses an hour (more at peak times).  It's my routine way of going to and from the airport (it helps that the buses go past the end of my road as well!).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2014, 13:00 »

I was being cagey because I wasn't certain Paul wanted me to advertise where he was going to be at a specific time, but that is why I am coming to Oxford that weekend!

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2014, 13:02 »

Oof, there are three weekends that I am headed in the direction of Oxford in March, that is not one of them. Not sure I can really get away for a fourth weekend in the month. I suspect other members of the household will have ideas about that sort of thing.

Of course, other venue's and months are also doable. Perhaps more of a British forum coincidental travel plans thread is in order.

For instance, if you were headed to the general direction of Torridon at the end of June then I would also be around there. Of course, Torridon is always more of a specific direction but the point stands.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jan 2014, 02:23 »

The cheapest flight for that weekend I found so far would be to London Stansted (the only London Airport Ryanair flies to), for around 60€ and I'd arrive Friday evening and leave Sunday morning. Of course there'd be some additional costs but that's actually not that bad.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2014, 03:52 »

This is seeming increasingly viable. Me and ChaoSera are trying to bully Masterpiece into coming, which would be awesome, especially if we took a photo of us both in the same room for neko's benefit... be a nice present for her.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2014, 03:54 »

I wouldn't consider what you've done bullying.

That said, I have a practical on exactly the weeks framing that weekend, so I'm not sure if I can come. I'll have to see.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jan 2014, 04:06 »

I wouldn't consider what you've done bullying.
That is because I haven't started yet.

But seriously, if you can make it it'd be awesome, but exams and similar stuff is more important.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jan 2014, 05:23 »

Oops. Now I feel a little like I'm third wheeling.

Not at all; I just started with May because I reckoned the concert would be of particular interest to her (which it is).  Other arrangements can then get made to coordinate with that.

I was being cagey because I wasn't certain Paul wanted me to advertise where he was going to be at a specific time,

On account of the QC assassination squad, of course.

The cheapest flight for that weekend I found so far would be to London Stansted (the only London Airport Ryanair flies to),

You may have checked in detail; but these days I often find that BA to Heathrow is as cheap as Ryanair once the extras like luggage(!) and so on have been taken into account, and the cost (and don't forget the time!) of getting to and from Stansted.

Stansted to Oxford is not an easy transfer (details).  London-Oxford buses are good value, starting from Victoria with a pickup at Marble Arch - there are two main competing companies running up to 5 buses an hour each.  I only go to Stansted by car.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:04 »

What about London Gatwick? I may have found something.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:11 »

There is an hourly direct bus between Gatwick and Oxford, so it's much easier than Stansted - though the ride's about twice as long as from Heathrow.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2014, 07:16 »

Coincidentally, that would be the second time I'd be going to the UK via Gatwick. The first time I did, I found out in horror that the cash machines at the airport didn't accept my debit card.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #23 on: 18 Jan 2014, 05:47 »

Merp. Tried to find a good picture of myself in London that doesn't have my ex in it, and I failed.

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #24 on: 18 Jan 2014, 09:13 »

Hmmmp. PHX-LHR nonstop Mar.20-24, $1,030 or 40k AA FF miles, 50k for business class, I've got 380k. Hmmmp. Music and friends at the other end. Hmmmp.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #25 on: 18 Jan 2014, 10:09 »

DO IT

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jan 2014, 14:21 »

Dude if you have the miles, go for it. 40k out of 360k is nothing. I'll be saving up some money so I'll probably come as well. :)

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #27 on: 18 Jan 2014, 15:55 »

I am in the North of Manchester for the foreseeable future. Manchester is a groovy happening place full of fun stuff (if anyone's inclined to meet up). Rawtenstall, where I'm actually based, is slightly less groovy. But hey ho work is work, and work's in Rawtenstall.
[02:29] Danosaur: I'd Spektor your Regina.

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #28 on: 18 Jan 2014, 15:55 »

also, hi everybody, I disappeared for a bit but I'm back again. just like that weird rash on your shins.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #29 on: 18 Jan 2014, 16:10 »

Hi there!  Next time I visit my friend in Tottington, I'll try to remember to wave.

Metope

« Reply #30 on: 18 Jan 2014, 16:41 »

No way Roddy! I'm going to Manchester in February! To hang out with Rob and Allison! Wanna join us on the 10th?

ZJGent

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • Night Talk at Harvey's
« Reply #31 on: 18 Jan 2014, 16:51 »

Yes. Monday is, fortuitously, my day off, so I'd love to come hang and chill and such - I hope I'm not a bothersome addition to pre-existing plans?

Metope

« Reply #32 on: 18 Jan 2014, 16:54 »

Of course not, we'd love to have you there! I don't even think we have any plans yet besides maybe a comedy thing in the evening? Allison just said she'd be there then so we decided to hang out. I will inform the others!

Redball

• What's disease? Where?
« Reply #33 on: 20 Jan 2014, 10:48 »

Ok, I'm seriously thinking of this, but i need some counsel: I'd be fine with spending, say, 4 days in Oxford and/or London. I can crash about anywhere and a floor would do. And I certainly don't want to impose on Paul; he'll have his hands full. So for the rest of you, what are options, either in Oxford or London? I gather I won't have serious problems with transportation, although if I do as I promised somewhere in Wisconsin, Illlnois or Indiana, I'd hire a car for May to drive me. And God help me, I might want in on that picture for Neko.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #34 on: 20 Jan 2014, 11:19 »

I can offer shelter to a finite number of people who bring sleeping bags. If someone doesn't mind going top to tail with me - which given my forum persona I realise is a hilariously big ask - and two more people don't mind sleeping on the floor, I am down for that if it saves people some cash.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #35 on: 20 Jan 2014, 11:27 »

But saying that, I wouldn't be able to do that for the entirety of these multi-day visits, I'll be working on the Friday and the Monday, so I could put people up on Friday night and Saturday night.

Also I am assuming that we are getting drunk off our asses if this is stretching into multi-day.

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jan 2014, 12:17 »

Multi-day makes the most sense, I suppose, especially for those of us with a longer travel.
As for sleeping, I'd like to take you up on the offer, Gareth. A sleeping bag won't be a problem to bring. I'm still looking for the best flying arrangements but there's still time left.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #37 on: 20 Jan 2014, 13:12 »

Proviso: anyone staying at mine has to get drunk off their ass

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #38 on: 20 Jan 2014, 13:41 »

Gah. Really tempted, but there is a bunch of reasons why I probably can't go.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #39 on: 20 Jan 2014, 13:46 »

One of them being Gaz said we shouldn't get drunk off our asses around each other! Hah!
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #40 on: 20 Jan 2014, 14:29 »

HAHAHA very good point, K-dawg.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 20 Jan 2014, 14:29 »

Gaz, now I'm tempted

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #42 on: 20 Jan 2014, 14:31 »

Which part is tempting you?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #43 on: 20 Jan 2014, 14:34 »

You know which one. And I'll stop now before pwhodges or Loki grab their banhammer

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #44 on: 20 Jan 2014, 14:37 »

Well my floor/boudoir is there if you want it...

Now seriously considering getting drunk before I even arrive at the meetup

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #45 on: 20 Jan 2014, 14:52 »

Remember, some people might be going to a concert (remember?); there'd be hell to pay if they were drunk.  But I can list the decent nearby pubs we could gather in after the concert.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #46 on: 20 Jan 2014, 14:55 »

Oh yeah, I mean I figured we would be stretching this over multiple days?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #47 on: 20 Jan 2014, 15:51 »

It would be a waste for anyone to come to Oxford for just one day, even without hangouts.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #48 on: 20 Jan 2014, 16:52 »

I have these two small problems: work and no passport.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #49 on: 21 Jan 2014, 02:42 »

Proviso: anyone staying at mine has to get drunk off their ass
That will not be a problem. Is "drinking someone under the table" a thing in English? Because if so, I'll drink you under the table.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up