Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Crossovers we wish to see in QC?

A blue police box on the corner of a street
Ally and Lisa as friends of Veronica Vance
Pintsize dreaming of electrical sheep
Lieutenant Potter getting reassigned to Cheyenne Moutain
Faye's father's car was a 1969 Dodge Charger stock car.
Pintsize making a deal for the Robot Devil's hands
Monsieur Creosote at the Coffee of Doom

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2622-2626 (Jan 20 - 24 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 41129 times)

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Beer and nachos are the answer to everything!

Well, not Life, the Universe, and Everything - that's 42. Beer and nachos runs a very close second.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

LookingIn

• FIGHT YOU

Marten takes his humiliating moments in great stride, glad that Delilah is more concerned than  the others were at the time   :roll:

And Swing Girl gets her first lines! And based off a remark by one of the posters? Nicely done Jeph, nicely done  :-o

Zwammy

And Swing Girl gets her first lines! And based off a remark by one of the posters? Nicely done Jeph, nicely done  :-o

And there is also another girl in the first panel that we've seen for the first time.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Or puns could just be recognized as like any other jokes. Most of them suck but some of them are funny.

I think we should shift the emphasis off of punishment.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Nachos are life. Life is desire. Desire is suffering. Suffering is life. Suffering is not nachos. Nachos are tasty. I think my train of thought derailed.
Information is not Knowledge.  Knowledge is not Wisdom.  Wisdom is not Truth.  Truth is not Beauty.  Beauty is not Love.  Love is...not Music.   Music is the Best.

What is not actually Swedish like "dyembe"?
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2014, 21:32 by ysth »

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

What is not actually Swedish like "dyembe"?

Djembe. The drums they're playing in that panel are called djembe which, as far as I know, is pronounced "jem-bay."
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Anyone who does NOT get the reference in panel three, please report to the Reeducation Department IMMEDIATELY.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zwammy

Anyone who does NOT get the reference in panel three, please report to the Reeducation Department IMMEDIATELY.

It's been quite some time since an assault team descended upon Marten's crotch. His statement about things not ending well seems... ominously prophetic.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

And there is also another girl in the first panel that we've seen for the first time.

In the second panel as well, I think. While the girl playing the djembe looks similar to Swingseat Girl, I don't think they're the same person. Different shirts, slightly different hair colour (I think).
What do you know about Pokémon?

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

My vote for how things end badly: someone ends up swallowing/inhaling a balloon.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

After I voted in the poll, the graph looked like this:

########
####
####
########

And I'm not even that keen on Metal.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I only get two of the poll's references, I'm afraid (first and third).  I know what a stock 69 Charger is, and what's at Cheyenne Mountain, but I still think I'm missing something with those two.  The others... ? 

And before you shake your head and tsk, remember - I'm old.  My cultural absorption dropped off drastically about 20 - 25 years ago. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Monsieur Creosote isn't recent - he's from a Monty Python film, The Meaning of Life.

(click to show/hide)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

My vote for how things end badly: someone ends up swallowing/inhaling a balloon.

Tai overdoses on the vapors.

Different tangent: When I was in Japan once, one of my friends thought it would be a good idea for me to go with him to a sex club. Stupid idiot forgot that many of these clubs are anti-foreigner (meaning the clubs doesn't allow Non-Japanese past the front door), and I almost got into a scuffle with the Yakuza that ran this one club. He said something to them that got them off my backs. When I asked him what he told them, he just grinned. To this date, I have no idea what he said to them.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2014, 03:21 by cesariojpn »

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I only get two of the poll's references, I'm afraid (first and third). 

I only get the one with the blue police box, although I've never watched Dr. Who. I think I'm possibly too young for the others? Or maybe just not into these kinds of things...

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I only get two of the poll's references, I'm afraid (first and third).  I know what a stock 69 Charger is, and what's at Cheyenne Mountain, but I still think I'm missing something with those two.  The others... ? 

And before you shake your head and tsk, remember - I'm old.  My cultural absorption dropped off drastically about 20 - 25 years ago. 
I only get the one with the blue police box, although I've never watched Dr. Who. I think I'm possibly too young for the others? Or maybe just not into these kinds of things...

In order:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2014, 04:31 by Mr_Rose »
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Djembe. The drums they're playing in that panel are called djembe which, as far as I know, is pronounced "jem-bay."
More specifically, the drums the girl in the middle and the guy on the right are playing are djembes. The guy with a green shirt is playing bongos and the person off-panel on the left is playing claves.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

(meaning the clubs don't allow Non-Japanese past the front door)
Is such a policy legal in Japan?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Electric Sheep — PK Dick's novel/Blade Runner (the film based on the same story)
In one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, Marvin says that he "tries to count electric sheep", so it could be that too.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

References to references shouldn't count, yo. Otherwise we'd be here all day just listing electric sheep references, never mind the rest….
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

It's either legal or any laws against it are not enforced. I know several people who have lived in Japan, and they've all reported things like this. For example, a friend said she was turned down for several apartments solely on the basis that she was American.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Indicible

• Jaegermonster impersonator

We have a winner for the references.
I tried to keep it Western-centric.
The Sunstone reference came from a comment on a Sunstone strip.
Read it, it's awesome (NSFW, of course, though it is also surprisingly deep. Drawn by Stepic of Witchblade fame).

Is it bad that I tittered at Tai blowing a long pink balloon?

As for Japan, there may be some legal discrimination. They are still pretty insular.
Signature OF DOOM!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I didn't really inquire further why this was happening. Yakuza and all that.

Black Sword

• The German Chancellory building

Am I the only one who really wants to see the story of the strip club in Montreal run by the Russian mob? I feel like I'm being denied the best arc ever here!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

It's either legal or any laws against it are not enforced. I know several people who have lived in Japan, and they've all reported things like this. For example, a friend said she was turned down for several apartments solely on the basis that she was American.

It's not legal, but neither are the clubs themselves. It's a combination of bribe money, oversight and not wanting to confront the Yakuza as far as Red Light District stuff goes. Couldn't tell you on apartment rentals and the like. The Yakuza are perfectly clear about forgeiners not being welcome in some areas, Yakuza guys themselves off work or in American/Forgeiner friendly areas are pretty cool though. For example the local Yakuza sub-boss Eddie near my brother's base drinks with the sailors all the time, and has put his thugs against the wall in public if he catches them trying to sell drugs to military personnel "Sell to tourists, not American military, they're better then that".
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

How can he think that dyembe sounds Swedish?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I'm pretty sure he was joking.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

Now I suddenly have an interest in Japanese sex clubs. I probably would not get the response I would like, however.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

"By jove Biggles, looks like the skinny Indie chap by the drums is actually having a good time!"
"Steady there old chap, don't want to get caught out."
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

To this date, I have no idea what he said to them.
Guesses:
"Charge us double"
"He's cool"
"He's Japanese enough"
"If he gets into trouble, take it out on me"
"I know your uncle"
"I know your mom"
"No one will miss him if he misbehaves"
"He's a chicken, won't get into trouble"

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Electric Sheep — PK Dick's novel/Blade Runner (the film based on the same story)

Thanks very much for the list -- helped a lot. Just FYI, the full title of Philip K. Dick's story was "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", and I believe it was technically a novella or a novelette -- not long enough for a full novel. And the movie "Blade Runner" was indeed based on it.

How can he think that dyembe sounds Swedish?
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

I'm pretty sure he was saying he thought the "j" in "djembe" might be pronounced like a "y", as in Swedish.

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

Am I the only one who really wants to see the story of the strip club in Montreal run by the Russian mob? I feel like I'm being denied the best arc ever here!

Sorry to tell you, but this is an example of the Noodle Incident. Explanation would never live up to it.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Did somebody on the forum say they could get stoned and play with balloons?

Of all the things one could do while under the influence of substances, playing with balloons seems like a pretty safe choice.  Certainly less likely to end badly than playing with a hammer.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Sorry to tell you, but this is an example of the Noodle Incident. Explanation would never live up to it.

Or The Great Tea Trolly Disaster of '67
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zwammy

I follow a blog called Tokyo Times, and an example was given here.

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Prediction: Tai gets light headed and Marten has to help her walk it off.  By the time they get her into normal equalibrium the party is over and everyone has gone home.  Marten had a good time anyway and the boss/employee balance gets shifted when he goes back to work with her!

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

* A blue police box on the corner of a street -> No idea ... Oh! Dr. Who? Really? Always meant to watch that one ...
* Ally and Lisa as friends of Veronica Vance -> And that'd be ... ?
* Pintsize dreaming of electrical sheeps -> Bladerunner!
* Lieutenant Potter getting reassigned to Cheyenne Moutain -> Errrrh, either Stargate or Terminator?
* Faye's father's car was a 1969 Dodge Charger stock car. -> Errrrrh ... Bullit!?! Or VDs' pops' car in Fast & Furious #1 ... Not sure.
* Pintsize making a deal for the Robotdevil's hands -> Mu? Cowboy Bebop?
* Monsieur Creosote at the Coffee of Doom -> Ashamed to say I missed the "Meaning of Life" reference ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Potter reassigned to Cheyenne Mountain. Is asked by Pintsize if she'd like to play a game.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Lt. Potter is assigned to Cheyenne Mountain. Meets man of her dreams. They are interrupted by a robot thinking it's World War III. Robot launches entire nuclear arsenal of the U.S. The world ends.

edit -- new comic's up. Judging by her look in the last panel, I don't know is Delilah is in on Marten's scheme...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Tai and Marten repopulate the world from a bunker deep in the mountain.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

Tai and Marten repopulate the world from a bunker deep in the mountain.

There's a 'not if you were the last cute little butch girl on the planet' joke waiting to happen there.

In other news, we have a :D overload.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

So did Marten not have any chance at all, or did Tai ruin his chance if he had one? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

So did Marten not have any chance at all, or did Tai ruin his chance if he had one? :psyduck:

Anyone feel that D's reaction to getting a bearhug from Bob screams 'not interested in male attention'?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I just realized that this is Friday's comic, so we won't see Delilah's reaction until at least Monday. Damn you Jacques!
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Tai annoys me a li'l bit here. In Marten's place, I would totally consider helping clean up without second thoughts, but having a Tai invoking sexual implications like that would make me too self-conscious for my own good.

Then again, Marten doesn't have social anxiety disorder like me, but still.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Well, Tai clearly has something in mind. 

Don't think it's Delilah, though. 

Please, just don't let Marten say "Hey there, Delilah!"   :roll:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It'd still be less creepy than the song.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jazzmaster

I just realized that this is Friday's comic, so we won't see Delilah's reaction until at least Monday. Damn you Jacques!

Yep, this was most likely his intent.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Anyway, if anything happens between Delilah and Marten, I don't see it going towards romance proper.

I see something more casual. Maybe casually carnal.

Or maybe, maybe, they'll just cuddle a bit.

Or maybe they'll just spend the rest of the night sharing the leftover booze and casually chatting.

But I don't see romance, I'm not sure why.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up