THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Miscellaneous TV Thread  (Read 20118 times)

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Re: The Miscellaneous TV Thread
« Reply #50 on: 22 Apr 2014, 00:12 »

I just can't see how they will put together a second season. Different detectives, I'd think ... we've seen a fair bit of the lives of these gentlemen, no way that there is this other big case they've been working on. Unless they let the whole flashback structure go and focus on something new.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #51 on: 22 Apr 2014, 08:50 »

I'd be fine with new detectives for a second season - but man, how high was that bar set?  I'm not sure what they could do to live up to the first season's promise.

I look forward to it, but yeah, how the hell do you get that good again?
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #52 on: 22 Apr 2014, 09:35 »

Same with Broadchurch which is supposed to come back as well ... how?
My Art.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #53 on: 28 Apr 2014, 11:44 »

I love Doc Martin!

Netflix Canada had 3 seasons.  The finale to season 3 was a kick in the teeth.  :(

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #54 on: 17 Jun 2014, 05:59 »

Finally have season 4 DVD for Doc Martin.  Huzzah.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #55 on: 18 Jun 2014, 15:36 »

heh, that's my mom's favorite show

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #56 on: 19 Jun 2014, 07:25 »

Maybe I'm your mom?  Don't you have homework to do?   :police:

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 Jun 2014, 22:52 »

no, my mom knows how Yo Mama jokes work.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #58 on: 20 Jun 2014, 00:53 »

YOUR MAMA'S SO FAT THAT SHE HAS SOME WEIGHT RELATED HEALTH PROBLEMS AND PROBABLY WON'T LIVE PAST 50

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games
« Reply #59 on: 12 Jul 2014, 20:30 »

Well, alrighty then...  I'm not sure how to feel about this...

I mean, Colin Farrell is a good actor at times, and horrible other times from my viewing experience...  I just don't know.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #60 on: 14 Jul 2014, 03:02 »

Farrell is one of those guys who is really good when he's not in a serious role. Horrible Bosses, In Bruge, etc. Granted I didn't see Total Recall or A New York Winter's Tale but they both looked horrible. Interestingly, he's also playing the lead villain in an upcoming film that was supposed to be a sequel to Se7en.

Anywho, I'm just two episodes away from finishing the series of Fargo and it is absolutely brilliant. Another show, like Breaking Bad, that concentrates on characters and just kills it every episode.

(click to show/hide)

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 14 Jul 2014, 07:43 »

Started season 5 of doc martin, and was sad to see that

(click to show/hide)

The series is spinning its wheels, and has been since the start of season 3.  I might be just about done.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 08 Aug 2014, 06:35 »

Started season 5 of doc martin, and was sad to see that

I might be just about done.

Aaaand now I am totally done.  No new ideas in several seasons now.  I love the setting, love the characters, but the plots are all things we've seen before.

I recommend the first 2 seasons, then stop.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #63 on: 08 Aug 2014, 08:23 »

Started watching season 3 of American Horror Story. I watched both previous seasons and enjoyed them but they both scared the shit out of me. The first season was terrifying (it was good but all I can actually remember is terrifying lol), the second season was scary but the story drew me in. Currently on the fourth episode of season 3 and I can't get enough of this story. It has scary parts but in general I can tell when they're coming and that makes them less scary but more important to the plot. Would definitely recommend!
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #64 on: 21 Aug 2014, 06:02 »

Paging Akima to the TV thread. That's Akima to the TV thread.

Syfy will be running Firefly, starting  on Monday.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #65 on: 30 Aug 2014, 11:36 »

I love BBC's New Tricks, but they're clearly scrabbling for plot in this episode - several whole minutes of slow-mo footage of the team bowling.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #66 on: 30 Aug 2014, 19:36 »

The new season of Defiance just came to an end and the new season of Sleepy Hollow will be starting soon. Sadly a new season of Almost Human will not be coming back with Sleepy Hollow.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #67 on: 01 Sep 2014, 01:27 »

I love BBC's New Tricks, but they're clearly scrabbling for plot in this episode - several whole minutes of slow-mo footage of the team bowling.

Hows the new cast? The only current cast member I recognise is Dennis Waterman. Obviously I've seen Lyndhurst in Fools & Horses and Lawson in Star Wars, but have yet to catch more than a snippet of the new stuff.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #68 on: 06 Sep 2014, 02:42 »

I miss the old cast, but the new characters are fleshed out and interesting. I particularly like Danny and his daughter who pops up occasionally (she's just gone away to university).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #69 on: 29 Sep 2014, 14:32 »

My girlfriend and I binge-watched a bunch of recent documentaries about people with bizarre habits, largely sexual.

One was Dogging Tales which makes some directorial and editing choices, possibly deliberately, that render the entire thing absolutely hilarious. One is that they intercut the entire thing with genuinely gorgeous footage of night-time wildlife and night-time countryside, as if trying to make an artistic case for this documentary that really is just about people who park their cars in one place and watch each other bang. The other is getting everyone involved to wear weird animal masks (because it's dogging, maybe?) which lends virtually no anonymity because they're mostly like domino-sized masks and loads of them have tattoos and really distinctive voices. It also makes everything about a million times funnier because any and all dialogue is now spoken by blank-faced, dead-eyed animal masks instead of people. The funniest shot in the thing comes when they cut together one of the doggers, an impossibly meek young fella who fantasises about being with two women and then fails to get a hardon with said two women while being filmed, with a shot of a wolf or a fox (I forget which) staring down the lens, as if to imply they were one and the same. Easily the funniest of the things we watched.

Secrets of the Living Dolls was the one I found the most disturbing. These guys basically dress up in massively unconvincing body suits (including faces) to look like women - or more accurately, really terrible sex dolls - then wear women's clothes and just kinda... hang out like that. I've got no issue with this whatsoever. It's completely harmless, not even slightly sexual, and people are obviously well within their rights to do so. The only one that worried me was the 70-odd year old man who got divorced over this habit, and when he puts on his (again, INCREDIBLY unconvincing) women's outfit and is asked by the interviewer what he sees in the mirror he says 'a very exciting female.' Now, this fella is not trans, in any sense. He identifies as male, he refers to himself as male, he makes no indication of any gender dysphoria whatsoever, but he puts on this suit and says that what he sees when he looks in the mirror is an 'exciting female.' That, to me, is signs of being delusional and so he (and only he) worried me quite a lot.

The last one was Married To The Eiffel Tower, one which I got altogether too wrapped up in. It's about objectum sexuals, people who are sexually attracted to objects. Again, nothing wrong with that if it's not hurting anyone, but... well, I think that if these folks aren't hurting anyone, they're skirting dangerously close to doing so, and even taking that out of the equation I was a little bit baffled by the rules they assigned themselves.

One of my main questions, not really an issue per se and it was addressed extremely perfunctorily in the show, was that every single one of these women (and yeah, they were all seemingly cis-women, not a bloke in sight) was polyamorous. They all have multiple objects they're in relationships with, and will bang around with basically any object they happen across in the course of the show. Considering they don't consider this just sexual but actually give names and genders to all their 'partners,' this was, again, something that struck me as a tiny bit delusional, but hey, as long as nobody's getting hurt.

One of the women was previously kicked out of a church she was a member of because she was having a relationship with the church organ. I thought this was a little bit harsh until she admitted that she once fucked the organ. Keep in mind, this is an inanimate organ, in a church.

Let's follow their trail of logic here - this woman considers this organ to be a sentient being, she even described it as being her boyfriend at the time. The vast majority of churchgoing Christians I know would consider sex out of wedlock to be a sin, and she wasn't married to this organ when they had sex, which is kinda bad enough in itself. But also, this organ is on church grounds. I can think of at least one Christian I know who considers out-of-wedlock sex to be fine (not that I've ever discussed with her why she feels that way because it's none of my business and I'm not a Christian so who cares) but I can virtually guarantee you that not a single Christian I know would consider having sex in the church to be okay. Are there children in this church? Were there any in the building when it happened, in what is a semi-public place? I'm not sure that's okay, folks.

And then there was the woman for whom the show was named, who is married to the Eiffel Tower... and promptly doesn't see it again for well over a year. Now, again, to follow the thought process of the women involved, I know a lot of folks on here are polyamorous and that's fine, I did that myself for a while too. But I would've thought the one you've married to generally gets priority, whereas this woman marries the Eiffel Tower, before disappearing for over a year. Does the Tower not get mad about this? Does it not miss her? How is this a strong foundation for a relationship? This woman also, at the end of the documentary, is implied to be basically rubbing her vulva up against the Eiffel Tower, in public, in broad daylight, when children are present, albeit not aware. Again, pretty sure that's not okay.

This woman has some quite severe mental health problems, she's ex-military and has PTSD as a minimum if I'm remembering right, and she then uses this as an excuse to berate a woman who was once a refugee from East Germany before the wall fell, because she's also in a relationship with the Berlin Wall and thinks the wall is unfairly misunderstood by everyone.

Out of everyone I saw in any of these documentaries, she was the only one that actually made me angry - I really got the sense that for the safety of herself and others, she needed to get some help, and pretty soon.

That post turned out longer than I expected.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
My Art.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #71 on: 06 Oct 2014, 14:52 »

We've been catching up on White Collar. Still hella good and survived the infamous Season 3 syndrome :) Season 4 is awesome so far.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Aimless

« Reply #72 on: 10 Oct 2014, 14:46 »

Saw the first episode of The Flash. It was... it was kinda crappy but I'll watch it and keep hoping.

It was certainly no Arrow. Iffy and uninspired casting, uneven script formed in the vacuum that lies within the heads of lazy and mediocre writers and (and then edited by boneheads), impatient poorly-paced plotting, tropes that are so cliché they've become obsolete, wish-fulfilment narrative of the least satisfying kind... it was just really not very good. I hate being a critic. But I think there's hope, as long as they ban anyone involved with the script for the pilot from coming anywhere near the scripts for the coming episodes.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #73 on: 12 Oct 2014, 13:47 »

Started watching Dr. Who (2005+ era).

It's incredibly 2000s, but I'm hoping it gets better. The premise is great though, I find it hilariously British. I just wish they'd tone down on the Incidental Soundtrack. And I'm glad Mickey is finally gone (although by the last episode I've started to like him).

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 13 Oct 2014, 15:24 »

Okay Mickey returned which was nice but other than that, the second serial finale had too much crying going on. In all seriousness, the Dahleks are the best reason to watch this serial.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #75 on: 13 Oct 2014, 19:54 »

OH my GOD the quantum locked beings are TERRIFYING.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #76 on: 14 Oct 2014, 00:11 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #77 on: 22 Oct 2014, 14:27 »

OH my GOD the quantum locked beings are TERRIFYING.

\o/

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #78 on: 23 Oct 2014, 01:20 »

Wait hang on, Masterpiece did you not know there's a Doctor Who thread?

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #79 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:34 »

Not until Pilchard pointed me towards it

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #80 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:40 »

Easy to miss, it's bigger on the inside.
My Art.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #81 on: 23 Oct 2014, 04:50 »

I have so many tabs open typically that I lose track of what thread I'm in.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #82 on: 23 Oct 2014, 17:11 »

Grimm returns tomorrow  :-D, and Constantine looks interesting, but I'd really prefer Hannibal come on after Grimm (dat cliffhanger! :-o).
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Aimless

« Reply #83 on: 01 Nov 2014, 06:20 »

Started watching Season 2 of Arrow after Felicity showed up on The Flash. Okay so first of all, the cast and the writers of Arrow are just so much better than the ones on Flash, so much so that just by touching the Flash they made Barry Allen's antics more enjoyable (okay The Flash has been improving slowly on its own too). I've really missed Felicity btw, she's a great character and I'd like for her and Barry to hook up just so she could spend more time on his dumb show :o

Enjoying the 2nd season of Arrow very much, although I foresee much emo drama and am honestly not so keen on Sebastian Blood or Black Canary atm. Nor am I happy to see River Tam in yet another nerd-friendly action-series :x

Oh yeah, saw the third series of Sherlock too and holy crap that show just gets better and better and WHY CAN'T I JUST GET MORE EPS NAO :(

Aimless

« Reply #84 on: 03 Nov 2014, 12:39 »

Season 2 of Arrow was so awesome that I couldn't decide whether to have faith in the show's future or prepare myself for the inevitable onset of Season 3 Syndrome, the terrible illness that's as sure to afflict my favourite shows as winter is to follow summer and autumn. Eight minutes into s03e01, I had hope held in a firm grip and was beginning to relax, WHEN SUDDENLY...

ARGH! :x

The writing and direction took a turn for the cheesy towards the last quarter of the season, and the finale didn't really live up to the standard set by the season 1 finale. Nevertheless, Arrow's probably my favourite live action comic book production right now. The core cast has been great, both in terms of writing and acting, and it's nice to have a show where most supporting characters are pretty solid. Laurel was just frickin' annoying or depressing for most of the season but I don't think I'll ever come to like hr character. Black Canary however turned out to be awesome, esp. when not in costume :o Felicity's probably my favourite "sidekick" ever, and I dunno how much of that is due to the writing as opposed to the actress's own touch. Diggle continues to make the most of his few lines and has a great chemistry with the others. The action-sequences remain top-notch for the most part. Roy has his ups and downs, but I liked his character for most of the season. Moira is on a fairly short list of characters I find compelling despite disliking them. She's a match for Mrs. Petrelli in this season :o Brother Blood was used to good effect and I even managed to overcome my hatred of Summer Glau the Ever Present. Slade was among my favourite characters up until the final quarter when he became a little too cartoonish. The rogues were decent, apart from a couple of circus clowns. Deadshot was awesome :o

I don't wanna spoil the season too much but if you enjoyed much of season 1 and haven't seen season 2 yet I can definitely recommend it. The production is top-notch, the cast has gelled together really well and the stupid-ball doesn't see much action, which is unusual for these kinds of shows

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #85 on: 26 Nov 2014, 21:58 »

In honor of the fact that Reboot is about to get an ... ummmmmm ... Reboot ........

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #86 on: 27 Nov 2014, 00:10 »

OH MY FUCK YES

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #87 on: 28 Nov 2014, 09:53 »

OH MY FUCK YES

This makes me so happy.  There are like a hundred shows that people get nostalgic about that do nothing for me, even if I watched them back in the day.  Reboot was awesome, though.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #88 on: 02 Dec 2014, 05:44 »

The last episode of House is absolute dick.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #89 on: 04 Dec 2014, 01:21 »

You're still wrong.

I'm watching Orphan Black and enjoying the everliving hell out of it. It's pretty awesome.
My Art.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #90 on: 04 Dec 2014, 07:30 »

I'm watching Penny Dreadful, but I'm having a slight feeling that I'm just not getting it. It's great, I love the setting, atmosphere, direction and imagery, but the overarching plot is just so weak to me.

Maybe that's a reference to the Penny Dreadfuls of yore? I'm lost.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Aimless

« Reply #92 on: 18 Apr 2015, 14:44 »

"Video Game High School"! Clone High meets Kvothe Potter's Game... I wasn't expecting this to be the sweetest, coolest and most uplifting show on Netflix but damn :o original, surprising, great cast with awesome chemistry and a rocking soundtrack.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #93 on: 18 Apr 2015, 19:31 »

What I said on Facebook.

Aimless

« Reply #94 on: 09 May 2015, 15:58 »

Gotta admit I've really been enjoying the Flash lately. They've toned down the bogus science a lot, the plot is a lot more focused, the story is progressing at a good pace and, even though the stupid-stick is still there it mostly stays with Iris and Wells more than makes up for it. The latest episode kinda felt like they were phoning it in but I believe it's because they're focusing on making a spectacular finale.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #95 on: 20 Jun 2015, 21:58 »

OK, regarding the season finale of Orphan Black.

(click to show/hide)

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #96 on: 21 Jun 2015, 06:05 »

I've annoyingly posted about it on other threads, but Justified remains one of my favorite shows. But despite going 6 seasons it never seems like it had much of a big fanbase? Is there anyone else here who has seen it?

Aimless

« Reply #97 on: 08 Jan 2016, 16:04 »

Finally surrendered and started watching "Making a Murderer". I guess "riveting" is a best thing you can say about the documentary itself, which may or may not be a good thing. The best thing you can say about the first Avery case is: W. T. F. Third of the way through and I've made sure not to read too much about the Halbach case so there should be surprises ahead. The ginger--who regularly binges on horrific tales of murder and torture and rape where people scheme and scream and cry--couldn't bear to keep watching so we're taking a break. The video of the inspectors with Dassey was just so fucked up.

Aimless

« Reply #98 on: 15 Jun 2016, 11:45 »

I've noticed a pattern. When I'm initially interested in a show but resist watching it because of a negative impression based on the first few minutes, that first impression more often than not proves to be very wrong and I end up enjoying the show immensely if I continue watching.

I resisted Person of Interest for a very long time but we've been watching a few eps at a time for about a month now and it's been incredibly fun because it's basically a masterclass in this particular kind of TV storytelling. I'm a simple person so I love the format. It's got a good balance of seriousness and humor, easy-viewing and more heavy stuff. The casting is generally v. good with the main cast growing into their roles v. quickly. The greater story unfolds slowly but steadily, partly through excellent flashbacks. The premise as well as most of the stories are interesting not only to nerds looking to wind down but also to people with only a limited interest in the scifi elements of the show. There's of course a fair amount of handwaving involved in explaining some of the more tech-y things but that's generally for the better because it avoids bogging the show down with unnecessary realism when it's not in the service of the story.

As much as I like Finch and Reese, my favourite character (and actor) is, I think, Fusco, with Carter a close second. The introduction of Sarah Shahi (who I loved in the engaging but short-lived Life) was less than awesome, but she's slowly growing on me. She's unfortunately written and portrayed in a somewhat shallow manner. The same goes for Root, but her arc's been a little better and I think the writers are using her more effectively now so I can put up with her despite never having liked the actress in question. Seeing Keith Mars in the show and then seeing the depths to which he has sunk, that was kinda upsetting, and although I like seeing him on screen I feel like his potential was squandered on placating the fans.

When I really like a show, I tend to get very nervous around season 3, because that's when things often take a turn for the worse wrt quality of writing and direction as well as featuring a lot of bad fan-service,. But season 3 of PoI has, so far, been surprisingly good, despite some things that must have been influenced by careless focus-grouping. I think the final third of this season may be a little less satisfying than previous seasons in some respects but at the same time there's been a major development that I've been expecting since the premise was first explained in detail in season 1 and I think it has a lot of promise.

I don't wanna spoil anythying but some of you might like it if you stick with it :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up