THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 10:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twitch Plays Pokémon  (Read 12163 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Twitch Plays Pokémon
« on: 20 Feb 2014, 23:12 »

Wasn't sure where to post this but wow....just wow...

Apparently by using the chat in twitch you and about a thousand other people play the same game of Pokemon Red at the same time.  Its been spreading like wildfire.  Surprisingly the game has caught 14 pokemans and obtain 4 badges since last I checked on it.

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

an article about this experiment
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/the-bizarre-mind-numbing-mesmerizing-beauty-of-twitch-plays-pokemon/

imgur has been flooded with fan art about this game.

and a faux religion dedicated to the helix fossil.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

CrowFairy

• Scrabble hacker
  • I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku
Re: Twitch Plays Pokémon
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2014, 23:32 »

I find it strangely fascinating! I've only watched bits and pieces of it, but it's an interesting concept, and I think it's impressive that they've managed to accomplish as much as they have, considering how chaotic this mess is.

My friends are fairly obsessed with it.
Both the hope and destroyer of worlds. Feel lucky?

Formerly LoliButt.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:35 »

Yesterday I witnessed the stream run away from Snorlax. The schadenfreude is delicious.

Here's the documenting of progress.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2014, 05:47 »

Okay, so I finally understand today's XKCD now. I watched a bit of it. In about five minutes they managed to walk about twenty blocks in the Safari Zone. I don't know about you, but this seems incredibly slow to watch.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2014, 07:38 »

because they are in the safari zone, yes.  Consider the fact that it has taken 8 days to get 4 or 5 badge with around 55 thousand players.  I find that amazing.  :psyduck:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2014, 08:04 »

They caught Venomoth! Impressive.

Now witnesss them spend an hour giving it a nickname.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2014, 08:07 »

I watched them catch a Nidoran, which they then named AEWW, and some people complained that they named a different Pokémon the same…
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2014, 14:14 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2014, 16:34 »

Venomoth was named AATTVV: All Terrain Venomoth.

I also saw the stream acquiring Lapras. The chat went berserk. They named it AIIIIRRR.

This might be the world's greatest underdog story.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2014, 16:50 by LTK »

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2014, 18:34 »

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2014, 20:09 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2014, 03:39 »

Unbelievable, they actually caught Zapdos.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2014, 08:23 »

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2014, 10:39 »

Was just being told about this earlier today.

We all know they're accidentally going to release BirdJesus before it's over. Maybe 'accidentally'.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2014, 10:56 »

While anarchy was trying to sort out the party they released Dux, Cabbage and Digrat and then they came within one button press of releasing Bird Jesus. This spurred democracy to take over for a while and get the other mainstays back in the party (Lapras, Drowzee, Venomoth, and finally Bird Jesus) but before Zapdos could be retrieved anarchy regained control and everyone abandoned the PC to prevent more disasters from happening. Now all three pokemon that could Cut are gone, so they have to go through rock tunnel to be able to progress.

This must be the most epic game of Pokemon ever played.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #15 on: 24 Feb 2014, 14:05 »

Heard that the keeper has been sent to the PC.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2014, 08:10 »

Drowzee seems to be enjoying it.

Latest news: Omanyte has been resurrected and the seventh badge has been obtained. The chat is now full of bots spamming down to impede progress, unsuccessfuly.

Also, why am I reading bulbapedia? I can't get sucked into a pokemon game again, helix damn it! I have more important things to do!

But the emulator is right there, in your dropbox...

SHUT UP.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2014, 09:04 »

Heh. I've got an emulator installed on my phone, though I haven't played it in a while.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #18 on: 25 Feb 2014, 09:31 »

I do too but I need to reinstall it. This makes me want to play and try other pokemons that I normally leave in the PC.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #19 on: 25 Feb 2014, 09:32 »

Also, why am I reading bulbapedia?

Been there, read that.
I dunno..

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2014, 15:36 »

WHAT

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #21 on: 25 Feb 2014, 20:30 »

it took most of my night but we finally got into Giovanni's gym!

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2014, 01:25 »

WHAT
I have a picture similar to that one, that shows even more interesting evolution stuff. I'll post it when I'm at home later today.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #23 on: 26 Feb 2014, 07:24 »

OH MY HELIX that last battle was TENSE. Did anyone else catch it?

I can spoil one thing: The first time Omanyte beat Rhyhorn with one hp left. The second time Omanyte just one-hit KO'd him. A Rhyhorn that is TEN LEVELS HIGHER. Hell yeah.

Edit: And now you can watch it!

« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2014, 10:36 by LTK »

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #24 on: 27 Feb 2014, 22:26 »

The BBC has put up an article about Twitch Plays Pokemon, complete with a screenshot that must have taken many attempts to get, because they managed to get one that doesn't have some troll commenting about how he wants to sexually assault Misty.  :psyduck:

edit -- also I've been wondering what would happen if you took a Pokemon game and gave it completely random inputs. Would Red get anything done at all...

edit2 -- looks like someone already did it. The only task Red has accomplished is getting Oak's Package in Viridian City, but he's trained his Charizard to level 98.  :psyduck:
« Last Edit: 28 Feb 2014, 08:16 by cesium133 »

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #25 on: 01 Mar 2014, 03:18 »

Holy crap guys, they actually did it!
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #26 on: 01 Mar 2014, 08:59 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #27 on: 01 Mar 2014, 09:55 »

That final fight against Blue was incredible. It almost couldn't have gone any better. He didn't stand a chance.

The first time they fought Lance was also incredible, but for a completely unrelated reason. In a stunning display of Artificial Stupidity, a level 62 Dragonite loses to a level 36 Venomoth. Only an AI quirk made this possible, but I don't think anyone saw that coming.

This will be one for the history books!

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #28 on: 01 Mar 2014, 10:16 »

Yeah, I was watching that battle and quit watching when it came down to the Dragonite versus the Venomoth, because I thought there was no way they could win.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 01 Mar 2014, 15:47 »

I'm kind of sad they didn't go after the other Legendaries.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #30 on: 01 Mar 2014, 19:55 »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #31 on: 26 Mar 2014, 18:15 »

Lore update: In Pokemon Emerald, Zexy the Torchic was lost through the PC after countless attempt at evolution, and hearts broke everywhere. Just hours before that, Nincada evolved into Ninjask on the first try, and with it came Shedinja, an animated hollow shell that is said to be able to capture spirits (Pokedex entry). It was then proclaimed that Zexy's soul would live on in the shell of Shedinja.

You know, at this point a novelization of the chronicles of Twitch Plays Pokemon is almost inevitable.

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #32 on: 27 Mar 2014, 09:40 »

I need to watch this more.  Kind of depressing to drop in for a minute or two, but fascinating in the macro.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #33 on: 08 Apr 2014, 17:54 »

Emerald is ending in six minutes and after dozens of attempts they haven't beaten the elite four. So sad.

...Actually no. Right as the time counted down to zero, the streamer says he'll be adding a few days. So the story's not over yet!
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2014, 18:03 by LTK »

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #34 on: 05 May 2014, 15:44 »

So Pokemon Fire Red has come and gone, and they've moved on to Platinum. They got the fire-type starter and it was released in record time. Also, a salty bet-alike game of Pokemon Stadium is running to the side, which is at least as entertaining as the main stream, possibly even more so.

Does anyone agree that the graphic and audio aesthetic of generation four has diminished compared to three? Everything's higher res now cause of the DS but it feels less clean and functional because there's more bells and whistles.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #35 on: 08 May 2014, 11:08 »

Pages: [1]   Go Up