THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Something rare: Moment of the Week?

Marten's the only dude unhappier after a ONS.
- 2 (3.8%)
Not make it sound completely hopeless?
- 0 (0%)
"I got some booty, I got some booty"
- 16 (30.8%)
"It involves putting on fancy clothes and getting wicked drunk"
- 3 (5.8%)
You used "wicked" as an intensifier. You're officially a New Englander now.
- 6 (11.5%)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
- 3 (5.8%)
Claire asks if something's wrong: hooked up with a friend of Tai's...
- 2 (3.8%)
Took a class on sexuality 3rd year undergrad; not be judgmental about casual sex
- 1 (1.9%)
I'M NOT JUDGING YOU (Okay! Okay!)
- 7 (13.5%)
Can't imagine meeting somebody and SLEEPING with them RIGHT AWAY.
- 1 (1.9%)
"Hey player! How'd things go with D?" (Oh, uh, good. Good) "Fist bump."
- 1 (1.9%)
"Tai put a lot of work into her float. I didn't have the heart to tell her the parade is rained out."
- 3 (5.8%)
Angus: "We're going out for beers tonight."
- 0 (0%)
Who's "we"? You and me.
- 0 (0%)
And me! (Wha-) I got BRO SENSE.
- 6 (11.5%)
All right, all right. I'm here picking up a book for my girl.
- 1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2651-2655 (March 3-7, 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 51649 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Somewhere, Dale is doing a dance, and doesn't know why.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

They are now linked in a way that defies all known physics and reality, the dance of the booty!
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Oh, so entanglement is actually about limbs? :-D
Why, this certainly explains why people find quantum physics so interesting.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

That you certainly do, Mare, that you certainly do.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Jeez, Angus, is this the first time you've met a dude let down by a one-night stand?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Loki

• comeback tour!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Jeez, Angus, is this the first time you've met a dude let down by a one-night stand?
Maybe it's the first time he cared, as opposed to enjoying it for the lulz?

Dance, Marigold, until your shoes file a restraining order.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Yes, Marigold, especially in that frame, you DO got some booty.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Wait, wouldn't Dale technically be getting booty, and Marigold getting some cock/sex?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

You're being too technical. 'Booty' is a general slang term for sex. You can have people you know who are 'booty calls' because you meet up to fuck them.

Saying that, your thought also only works if we are to assume that Dale fucked her in the ass, which... you know, more power to him, but seems unlikely for a first real date, eh?
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2014, 02:28 by Gareth »

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Marbear is proof positive that anyone can eventually find happiness. You earned the right to dance, missy!

Oh, so entanglement is actually about limbs? :-D
Why, this certainly explains why people find quantum physics so interesting.

There certainly was plenty of entanglement between the two otherwise distant bodies the other week! :parrot:  Of that, I am not uncertain :D

I regret nothing!
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Gareth: I assume that's a technical term? ;)

Onto our early polling results:

A POLL?
What?    1 (7.7%)
No one    1 (7.7%)
Put a thread    0 (0%)
together yet    0 (0%)
and the first    1 (7.7%)
strip of the    0 (0%)
week has already    0 (0%)
POSTED????    0 (0%)
Butts.    4 (30.8%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!    3 (23.1%)
Uh.... Taco Tuesday?    3 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Saying that, your thought also only works if we are to assume that Dale fucked her in the ass, which... you know, more power to him, but seems unlikely for a first real date, eh?

I thought their first real date was more of the "shotgun date" Momo forced them into?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Anal on a second date/first time having sex also seems pretty unlikely, albeit not impossible ;)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Not impossible, no, but I'm pretty sure Dale is not that kind of guy. And that Marigold is not that kind of gal, for that matter.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

They are now linked in a way that defies all known physics and reality, the dance of the booty!
Quantum entanglement is also known as "spooky action at a distance". Meaning, somewhere (probably at CoD) Dale is now helplessly dancing behind the counter. As a rookie, he probably is not alone on duty. I imagine Dora is there with him, after Faye's shift ended. Dora and the customers are probably applauding, making Dale dance even more, and poor, entangled Marigold must follow suit. Eventually, they will both collapse from exhaustion.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Their actions that morning have collapsed their wavefunctions into the same energy level. Thus, when Marigold performs the action of dancing, Faye and Angus can assume that, given that Dale is in the same energy level, Dale is also dancing.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Most guys would be reluctant to admit to other guys that they were let down by a one-night stand, mainly because of the reaction coming from Angus. So even aside from the fact that many guys would just be happy they had sex (especially if it's been awhile), I can believe this is the first time Angus has heard another guy express disappointment.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Not impossible, no, but I'm pretty sure Dale is not that kind of guy. And that Marigold is not that kind of gal, for that matter.
There are no kinds in these matters. Only innumerable variations.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

For the record, I'm a dude and I never needed to "try" ONS to know they arent for me.

I dont think Marten was really going for an ONS, either. Its only natural he's disappointed that it turned out to be one.

Marbear is proof positive that anyone can eventually find happiness.
We can find it, just not permanently.
Carpe Diem

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer

For the record, I'm a dude and I never needed to "try" ONS to know they arent for me.

I dont think Marten was really going for an ONS, either. Its only natural he's disappointed that it turned out to be one.

Agreed.  I think if Marten had known up front that the sex would lead to nothing, he wouldn't have bothered.  Some guys just aren't built to "hit it and quit it".  Indeed, I doubt that a person who WAS built that way would have so many devoted female friends, since a certain  lack of respect for one's partners is implied in such an attitude.

Marbear is proof positive that anyone can eventually find happiness.
We can find it, just not permanently.

Also agreed but only for certain values of "happy".  Permanent happiness on the level that Dale and Marigold are enjoying right now is not only impossible but would be unhealthy IF possible. Human minds and bodies are not designed to maintain such strong emotions, positive or not, for prolonged periods.

Lower baseline emotions...more of a general "happy" or "contentment"...certainly can be maintained for longer periods, interrupted occasionally by annoyance or tragedy or even good fortune, but always returning to base "content" status.

Of course, even this isn't permanent.  Nothing is when dealing with mortal beings.

On another note, I am glad to see that Faye is beginning to see Marten's growing discontent.  Now that I know that she is aware there's a problem, I am confident that she'll find some way to cheer him up soon..though Angus appears to be little help in that.

<mod>Fixed quote</mod>
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2014, 08:27 by pwhodges »

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

I have to agree with you there. Although surprises do happen on occasion. This does make me question exactly what they used the pancake syrup for.... or maybe i'm just a perv.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Quantum entanglement is also known as "spooky action at a distance".

Spookybutt action at a distance?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Anal on a second date/first time having sex also seems pretty unlikely, albeit not impossible ;)
Depends on their attitude to certain things; I am given to understand that certain regional cultures place such an emphasis on waiting for marriage (to have vaginal sex) that the younger set have taken to using anal sex as a "technically legal" substitute before marriage. Similarly, there are folks that use anal sex as a form of contraception since, again for cultural reasons, they are reluctant to use more, ah (I was gonna say intrusive, but…), artificial means to prevent pregnancy.
No idea what they do about STIs though.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Socky

• Emoticontraindication

Some guys just aren't built to "hit it and quit it".

Cause them punks like to hit it and quit it
And Marten'd rather stay and play...

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

A POLL

What?  1 (4.2%)
No one  1 (4.2%)
Put a thread  0 (0%)
together yet  0 (0%)
and the first  2 (8.3%)
strip of the  0 (0%)
week has already  0 (0%)
POSTED????  0 (0%)
Butts.  10 (41.7%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!  4 (16.7%)
Uh.... Taco Tuesday?  6 (25%)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Depends on their attitude to certain things; I am given to understand that certain regional cultures place such an emphasis on waiting for marriage (to have vaginal sex) that the younger set have taken to using anal sex as a "technically legal" substitute before marriage.
Audio NSFW.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Indeed, I doubt that a person who WAS built that way would have so many devoted female friends, since a certain  lack of respect for one's partners is implied in such an attitude.
I don't see how there's a lack of respect, if said partners are on the same page.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

marsman57

• Emoticontraindication

Depends on their attitude to certain things; I am given to understand that certain regional cultures place such an emphasis on waiting for marriage (to have vaginal sex) that the younger set have taken to using anal sex as a "technically legal" substitute before marriage.
Audio NSFW.

Right at the climax of the video I realized the dark haired girl is the girl Raj dated on The Big Bang Theory.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Garfunkel and Oates  FTW!

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

There are no kinds in these matters. Only innumerable variations.

Fair enough; I could have worded that better. I wasn't trying to imply that either Dale or Marigold falls into a particular "type" (unless "someone who doesn't want to have anal sex on the first date" can be considered a type), just that I don't think either of them would want to try that on the first date, based on what I know about their personalities. I'm not sure Marigold would want to try it at all, honestly.

Audio NSFW.

Excellent point, Mr_Rose, and Redball chose the perfect song to illustrate and explain that point of view. I really should have thought of that -- I've seen that video before! (And found it hilarious.) However, I just don't get the impression that either Marigold or Dale were brought up that way.

Right at the climax of the video I realized the dark haired girl is the girl Raj dated on The Big Bang Theory.

She also appeared on Scrubs, where she and one of the regular male cast members sang a duet called, on TV, "Screw You." (The actual title as recorded by Garfunkel & Oates contained one of those words you can't say on television -- at least not during prime time.  8-)) You can find it on YouTube.

Garfunkel and Oates  FTW!

Yes!  :-D

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

^ She also appeared on How I Met Your Mother as a marriage clerk (I think season 2 when Marshall & Lily were rushing to get married).

Ugh, I should've been on the boards in time to make that reference (the Garfunkel and Oates video). I saw them in a concert once.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!  And the Southern accent goes down the tubes.

"By the pricking of my thumb, something wicked this way comes."
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2014, 20:56 by celticgeek »
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I'd like to think Marigold was brushing her teeth when she heard the screaming and instinctively knew it was because Faye said, "Wicked."

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I started using wicked after like a week in New Hampshire (and I only lived there for three months). I'll still use it sometimes because why not.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Most guys would be reluctant to admit to other guys that they were let down by a one-night stand, mainly because of the reaction coming from Angus. So even aside from the fact that many guys would just be happy they had sex (especially if it's been awhile), I can believe this is the first time Angus has heard another guy express disappointment.
Thank you, that was a helpful perspective.  I was having the same thought as Near Lurker since I've heard lots of dudes express more or less the same feelings as Marten...  But I'm not a dude, so they probably feel more comfortable saying it to me.

Depends on their attitude to certain things; I am given to understand that certain regional cultures place such an emphasis on waiting for marriage (to have vaginal sex) that the younger set have taken to using anal sex as a "technically legal" substitute before marriage. Similarly, there are folks that use anal sex as a form of contraception since, again for cultural reasons, they are reluctant to use more, ah (I was gonna say intrusive, but…), artificial means to prevent pregnancy.
No idea what they do about STIs though.
Cultures in which people aren't comfortable with condoms and expect everyone to stay virgin till marriage usually aren't very good at educating their young folks about STIs and other sexual health matters.  The technical-virgin bum-fuckers probably don't do anything about STI's except catch them.  :-(

Given how insufferably smug both of them are about having gotten laid, I'm pretty sure the last thing Marigold or Dale would've wanted was to retain any kind of technical virginity.

And, yeah, I'd agree that two shy virgins who were still fumbling with things like how to put on a condom probably didn't have anal.  Even if they're both interested in doing anal eventually, they would've found it too intimidating for the first time.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

insufferably smug
Because they're doing a booty dance? (In Dale's case it was a booty hover, but still)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I use wicked all the time... it's not a mainstay of my speech pattern but it's there. I have spent a grand total of two weeks in Maine outside of traveling/vacations, and the entire time I was in Maine I had 0 contact with the locals.

I'm right with you guys on the whole one night stand thing. Angus is being kinda shitty here. In fact everyone's being kinda shitty here as previously discussed. Depression aside I'm usually a pretty cheery dude for an introvert. I've experienced enough of the sex to know what my partners like and what I like, and what I don't like is one night stands. They don't do anything for me. It's just not good nookie. I'd rather go eat a cookie. Or see my bookie.

I'll stop now.

Any way. One night stands not being fun does not immediately mean un-fun Marten friend is king of the suck and fail. Just means they aren't for him.

Thought. This may have actually been Marten's first one night stand. As I recall he was with Ol'whatshername most of HS, then he moved out here and got dumped, wallowed, met Pintsize, met Steve and was pretty much solo till he ended up with Dora. Might have been some dates here and there but that doesn't mean he sealed the deal, and as we just saw, Marten is to being smooth like a sand blaster at full power is to gentle exfoliation...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Ol' whats her name was in college (and if I remember correctly just the last few months of college), but I'm pretty sure you're right about it being his first one night stand.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Oh right. College. Not HS. Beg pardon good netizens.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

insufferably smug
Because they're doing a booty dance? (In Dale's case it was a booty hover, but still)
In Dale's case, I was thinking of this.  As for Marigold, yeah, now that you say it, I can see that she might just be providing some vocal accompaniment to her booty dance.  I initially read "I got some booty, I got some booty" as a singsong chant (same tone as nyeah nyeah-nyeah nyeah nyeah), but if I picture it sung in a different way, it stops sounding smug.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Question: Is it still that noticeable from one word where in the USA somebody hails from in the day and age of the Internet? I know some of us did a test which was linked on Neko's Facebook profile and was supposed to tell you where you are from based on the regional words you use. Mine showed up as mixed parts from New York, Honolulu and Frisco, I think.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

"Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco," which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars."  -- Emperor Joshua Norton of the United States and Protector of Mexico.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Wikipedia knows no less than nine towns and/or cities named Frisco. Also a bridge and a railway depot.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

You're probably less likely to use regional slang on the internet than you are when talking with local friends.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!

An abbreviation for San Francisco, used as such in e.g. the book "The Cruise of the Dazzler", brought to you by Jack London, who in turn is mostly known for "White Fang".
TL;DR: take it up with dead classics :P

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

I'd like to think Marigold was brushing her teeth when she heard the screaming and instinctively knew it was because Faye said, "Wicked."

"That is the sound of wicked suffering."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up