Whatever's on tap.
- 7 (9.5%)
A fine craft beer.
- 5 (6.8%)
The local IPA.
- 7 (9.5%)
Mead.
- 8 (10.8%)
Something fancy but not too pretentious.
- 2 (2.7%)
If it's not served by a busty barmaiden in Munich, I don't want it.
- 6 (8.1%)
Porter Stout.
- 2 (2.7%)
Pale ale.
- 0 (0%)
I don't know what it's called, but it's yellow.
- 3 (4.1%)
Space Beer!
- 7 (9.5%)
I'd rather have a wine cooler.
- 2 (2.7%)
How about just some bread and wine?
- 8 (10.8%)
Or circuses?
- 7 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2661-2665 (March 17-21, 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 27473 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

"So toniiiight, the heart ache's on me..."

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Does anyone still even make wine coolers? I haven't seen one in decades.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Most of the time (that's sort of deceptive as I rarely go to bars and/or drink), I get something fairly cheap and yellow and it's fine. There's one bar off campus where the cheap beer is from a microbrewery in town. I don't really like their beer, though, they use so much hops (even in the wheat beer) that it tastes nasty.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Hops = the best.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I have two on the shelf - the porous earthenware kind that you soak in water beforehand, and the evaporation then cools it.  Last used for champagne at my last significant birthday party.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Hops = the best.
Agreed. There's far, far too much hate for IPAs and other hoppy beers on this forum.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I have two on the shelf - the porous earthenware kind that you soak in water beforehand, and the evaporation then cools it.  Last used for champagne at my last significant birthday party.

I think they mean the other kind of wine cooler….
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I've never heard that name for that sort of drink.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I've never heard that name for that sort of drink.
Be glad that you have not.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

They're not really called wine coolers anymore, but a lot of companies make them. Smirnov Ice, Mike's Hard Lemonade, that sort of thing. Basically, a weak malt beverage with some sort of fruit base. I like them for a light drink myself, when I'm not breaking out the scotch but I want something...

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I've only heard them called that, which is funny since they don't have wine in them.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Ignoring the plot talk, does 'Hop Kaiju' mean 'glass of orange juice?' Because that's all I'm seeing.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

DRAMA ALERT!
Just another Joe like 46

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

New York threatens once more!  Will Angus literally get put on the bus?  Or will he fly?

K1dmor

• Beyoncé

Ignoring the plot talk, does 'Hop Kaiju' mean 'glass of orange juice?' Because that's all I'm seeing.

Hop Kaiju is the yellow beer.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I'm... pretty confident that Jeph will not pull a Branwen. I mean, I hope. :-\
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

It'd be cool if you told us what that meant.
Kaiju are the monsters in Pacific Rim, so a Hop Kaiju is a beer with so many hops it'll tear through a reinforced wall and destroy a major city.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

For the poll there was not a choice for neat Vodka, so I picked mead. But damn, I love me some vodka.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

Kaiju are the monsters in Pacific Rim, so a Hop Kaiju is a beer with so many hops it'll tear through a reinforced wall and destroy a major city.
which can only be prevented with a jaegerbomb, served by at least two synchronized  bartenders

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

No scotch, either. Oh well...

On comic... well, Faye has matured a lot in her time. But that said, she probably would not be happy with anything changing the status quo ("This is why I don't like change. It changes things."). Given she will be about 3 hours drive (thanks, Google Maps!) from her friends and her comfort zone, I don't think she will handle this that well.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I can't tell you how pleased I am that there are at least two people for whom the whole "space X" thing hasn't yet got old.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Seems to me Angus and Faye have had this discussion and maybe she was a little too vehement in her reassurance, hence Angus's insecurity.
Which leads me to:
Were these real people and were I in the middle of this discussion (unlikely) I would suspect Angus's real question, the one he is trying to ask without asking, is whether Faye might recalibrate her sights and seek solace in Marten, who is, after all, right there.

Spathe root beer.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

I would suspect Angus's real question, the one he is trying to ask without asking, is whether Faye might recalibrate her sights and seek solace in Marten, who is, after all, right there.

1. Not that you're shipping or anything... (but that thought occurred to me too)
2. If Marten thought he stood a chance with Faye while Angus was away, would he give Angus an honest answer?
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I would suspect Angus's real question, the one he is trying to ask without asking, is whether Faye might recalibrate her sights and seek solace in Marten, who is, after all, right there.

1. Not that you're shipping or anything... (but that thought occurred to me too)
2. If Marten thought he stood a chance with Faye while Angus was away, would he give Angus an honest answer?

1. My understanding of the term "shipping" (the kind that does not involve transportation) is that it reflects a desire, not a prediction or suspicion. And Angus, manipulator that he is, might be projecting "what I'd do" onto Marten -- to whom the idea might not occur unless Angus expresses it. Mr. Reed is rather passive about these things, as a rule.
2: He wouldn't intend to, but might accidentally.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Did you mean that?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Kaiju are the monsters in Pacific Rim
That's rather like saying that Achillies is a character in Troy; its true but ignores the original cultural background.

Has anyone else noticed that Jeph seems to have stopped drawing hair texture in the last couple of strips?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

If the audition is tomorrow, and Angus is drinking a lot of beer tonight, he is going to have problems. The audition will fail (or Angus will fail to arrive in time), and everything will be as before. Faye will be thankful to Marten for causing this.

Schwungrad

I don't think Angus is worried about Faye and Marten. He'd have to either not know Marten at all or be extremely paranoid.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

No, I'm pretty sure that the Marten and Faye ship is not only dead in the water but has been scavenged for parts so thoroughly it's no longer recognisable as a ship. In fact Faye said that herself, if I remember rightly.

I don't think Faye will move if Angus does; didn't she say something along those lines to him before? I can't see Jeph doing that from a plot perspective either; if Angus moves it'll be on his own (but I don't think he will).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

anahata

• Never knowingly understood

What does today's title (Tie A Few On) mean?

I suspected "have a few more drinks" and a quick Google search seems to confirm this.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Floorman

• Not quite a lurker
  • Gliding through the minefield...

To "Tie one on" is an expression meaning to have a drink/get drunk. "Tie A Few On" most likely means to get really drunk.

Schwungrad

No, I'm pretty sure that the Marten and Faye ship is not only dead in the water but has been scavenged for parts so thoroughly it's no longer recognisable as a ship.
By the power of Toto and the rains of Africa, this ship has been sunk. It has ceased to float and gone to meet the ocean floor. It is an ex-ship. It sleeps with the fishes down in R'lyeh.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Ah, yes. Google is our friend. Here is a good definition from the Urban Dictionary:

tie one on
get drunk for purpose of getting drunk
"when this is over I'm going to tie one on"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

New York threatens once more!  Will Angus literally get put on the bus?  Or will he fly?

Dude, too soon.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

Has anyone else noticed that Jeph seems to have stopped drawing hair texture in the last couple of strips?
i hadn't, but looking again i have to say i think it's slightly better this way. having the hair rendered with detail & physicality, while the rest of the characters were comparatively simple & 2d was always a bit odd looking.

Srxjo

• Plantmonster
  • 死神

i hadn't, but looking again i have to say i think it's slightly better this way. having the hair rendered with detail & physicality, while the rest of the characters were comparatively simple & 2d was always a bit odd looking.

If you flick back a few more pages you notice it changes from having it's texture to being plain and then back and forth or at least within the last 20 pages i would say

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

There was a suggestion that it relates to Jeph's working out techniques for use with his new tablet.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Did you mean that?
Yes.
And to clarify for the benefit of those responding to what they say I said, rather than what I said: Faye knows the ship has sunk. Readers know the ship has sunk. Marten might even know the ship has sunk. Angus will never be sure the ship has sunk -- because he likes to play the angles and manipulate, and people who play that way generally assume everyone else does, too.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Even so, I think he would give an honest answer. He might be mistaken, but not dishonest.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

I've only heard them called that, which is funny since they don't have wine in them.

Wine coolers used to have wine in them. They were a big thing in the 1980s, at least in the US. Then they went away.

And no, I don't think Marten is still pining for Faye. They've both moved on.

Of course I could be wrong. I'm notoriously obtuse about such things. (Case in point: A woman I platonically shared an apartment with in college, several years later asked me to marry her out of the blue.)

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

...did you?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

No, I didn't. And had second thoughts for years afterwards. In the long run, though, I think it was the right decision.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Your choice of brew?

Guiness.    3 (9.7%)
Whatever's on tap.    1 (3.2%)
A fine craft beer.    2 (6.5%)
The local IPA.    5 (16.1%)
Mead.    2 (6.5%)
Something fancy but not too pretentious.    0 (0%)
If it's not served by a busty barmaiden in Munich, I don't want it.    4 (12.9%)
Porter Stout.    0 (0%)
Pale ale.    0 (0%)
I don't know what it's called, but it's yellow.    2 (6.5%)
Space Beer!    4 (12.9%)
I'd rather have a wine cooler.    2 (6.5%)
How about just some bread and wine?    3 (9.7%)
Or circuses?    3 (9.7%)

Total Members Voted: 31
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

which can only be prevented with a jaegerbomb, served by at least two synchronized  bartenders

All of this is a solid win.

:parrot:

Kaiju are the monsters in Pacific Rim
That's rather like saying that Achillies is a character in Troy; its true but ignores the original cultural background.

Akima beat me to it.  :mrgreen:
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Yeah, but that's probably what the beer is referencing.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Hop Kaiju's a decent beer, but I prefer Daikaiju Stout
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

i don't drink beer beyound Kriek (cherry beer) so if that's on tap i'll have like, six of those. :3
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

lot_jockey

• Emoticontraindication

Angus's audition is the one he talked about roughly 200 strips ago (http://questionablecontent.net/2450), right? It's not a callback audition?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up