THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 23:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

APRIL FOOL! Weirdest thing you'd see in QC?

Faye-Pintsize-Yelling Bird Love Triangle!
- 5 (10.4%)
Dora-Tai Revenge Pron!
- 1 (2.1%)
Marten takes assertiveness training!
- 7 (14.6%)
Marigold and Dale get married!
- 2 (4.2%)
Momo becomes a sex fiend!
- 8 (16.7%)
Hannelore starts mud wrestling!
- 7 (14.6%)
Sven becomes a monk!
- 6 (12.5%)
Jimbo goes cold turkey, writes self-help books!
- 2 (4.2%)
Something even WEIRDER! (WEIRDER?)
- 5 (10.4%)
Space Waffles and Ham-flavored Coffee!
- 5 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2671-2675 (March 31- Apr. 4, 2014) Weekly Comics Discussion Thread  (Read 24273 times)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Was anybody else at all worried, for a moment, that the drawing would be a bonercat when completed? Then, upon realizing that it is Hanners, quickly dismissed the idea?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

The God Warrior, Ohma, is also Arbitrator, which seems appropriate

Except that Ohma's means of "arbitration" consists almost entirely of "laser it until it is not there anymore." I'd hope there's a little more variety in means of arbitration in forum moderation. >.>

I'd trust the judgment of Nausicaa herself far more, personally.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Well, it's hard to find parallels that are perfect!  I have laser-zapped many spammers and much spam.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

Was anybody else at all worried, for a moment, that the drawing would be a bonercat when completed? Then, upon realizing that it is Hanners, quickly dismissed the idea?

i was quite certain that when i got to the bottom it would be a bonercat, hannelore or no.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

"Awakened" is the title I have given to users with over 10,000 posts (replacing the former "Dickfish") - taken from the film Evangelion: 2.0 You can (not) Advance.
To become Awakened is indeed a worthy goal...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

All I get is a broken image. From the commentary I'm guessing it's Hannelore's "How to Draw a Kitty."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"Awakened" is the title I have given to users with over 10,000 posts (replacing the former "Dickfish") - taken from the film Evangelion: 2.0 You can (not) Advance.
To become Awakened is indeed a worthy goal...
A goal I'll probably reach by summer.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I figured it would turn into a bonercat, and then Hannelore would start scolding Jeph for doing it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

I liked it. It's a nice callback from Jeph's Tumblr from a couple of years ago. Hannelore's face in that last panel always gets me.

Plus, it's better than another appearance by that dickcissel...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

What happened to Step 9 and 10? Are we missing something from the original strip? Or is the OCD messing with Hannelore's counting abilities?

Nice drawing of Hannelore, by the way. She has very green eyes.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Step 9: ? ? ?
Step 10: Profit!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I figured it would turn into a bonercat, and then Hannelore would start scolding Jeph for doing it.
Hannelore thinks a boner is disgusting. When Jeph draws a character, I imagine he is inside that character's head. Thus, Hannelore would never draw a bonercat, whereas Jeph is more than happy to do so.

Which brings us to the next question: Is there any reason why Hannelore dislikes boners? As stated before, she is not asexual, she is theoretically heterosexual, and she likes sexy man-pictures (but obviously without visible boners).

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

I think it's not so much the boner itself, as the idea of what comes out of the boner that repulses her (this is approaching TMI thread territory  :psyduck: ).

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Today's strip is a callback to strip 2280
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Hey, Claire foreshadowing. And some two comics earlier, she's worried about Clinton outing her, but you don't think anything of it at the time, because Clinton is Clinton.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

[Insert obligatory Matrix reference here]
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I think it's not so much the boner itself, as the idea of what comes out of the boner that repulses her (this is approaching TMI thread territory  :psyduck: ).

Exactly, I got the impression that it was the prospect of having to clean messy fluids -- especially other people's messy fluids -- off her couch that perturbed her so much, not the concept of boners per se.

Also, OCD is one thing, but voices in her head telling her to kill sound a lot more like schizophrenia to me, and that's a lot more dangerous. This isn't the first time she's mentioned voices, either; remember when she mentioned dreams about a rapping penis that urges her to kill? ("Kill your friends... kill them with a knife!") I don't have a strip number for that offhand, but I'm sure someone here does.  8-)

Edit:

What happened to Step 9 and 10? Are we missing something from the original strip? Or is the OCD messing with Hannelore's counting abilities?

I think step 8 was adding the top hat, step 9 the monocle, and step 10 the bowtie. She just showed the final result of all three steps at once, rather than the intermediate stages.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2014, 12:27 by Storel »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2014, 13:00 by Method of Madness »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Quote from: Storel link=topic=29788.msg1233627#msg1233627
Also, OCD is one thing, but voices in her head telling her to kill sound a lot more like schizophrenia to me, and that's a lot more dangerous. This isn't the first time she's mentioned voices, either; remember when she mentioned dreams about a rapping penis that urges her to kill? ("Kill your friends... kill them with a knife!") I don't have a strip number for that offhand, but I'm sure someone here

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1171

Yes, but that  was a dream, not voices heard while awake. Lots of people have quite disturbing dreams without being mentally ill.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Now we are getting to the core of the matter. QC is a simulation living in Jeph's Mac. Jeph is the omnipotent Creator. Let us hope he never turns it off. That would be The End.

Of course, we are ourselves part of another simulation  :psyduck:

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Go ahead and break a leg, Angus!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Also, OCD is one thing, but voices in her head telling her to kill sound a lot more like schizophrenia to me, and that's a lot more dangerous. This isn't the first time she's mentioned voices, either; remember when she mentioned dreams about a rapping penis that urges her to kill? ("Kill your friends... kill them with a knife!") I don't have a strip number for that offhand, but I'm sure someone here does.  8-)

She seems to be used to hallucinations. http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2430
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Storel

Quote from: Storel link=topic=29788.msg1233627#msg1233627

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1171

Yes, but that  was a dream, not voices heard while awake. Lots of people have quite disturbing dreams without being mentally ill.

True... but I was reminded of that strip because she scribbled "Blood", "Kill your friends", and "Kill" all over her kitty drawing, which presumably did not happen while she was asleep.

She seems to be used to hallucinations. http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2430

I've noticed that, too. Clearly she has a lot more wrong with her brain than just crippling anxiety and OCD; those are simply her most visible symptoms. Considering she also has a tendency to deprive herself of sleep for multiple days at a time, it's almost surprising that she hasn't already had a psychotic break and done something really awful.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hannelore's a very sweet person, but I'd be a bit nervous if I had her as a friend.

And yeah, go Team Angus!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

This is real growth for the Pugnacious Peach!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

That colour T-shirt doesn't suit Faye at all.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

True... but I was reminded of that strip because she scribbled "Blood", "Kill your friends", and "Kill" all over her kitty drawing, which presumably did not happen while she was asleep.

Maybe she has a Evil Hand.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Clearly she has a lot more wrong with her brain than just crippling anxiety and OCD; those are simply her most visible symptoms.
Considering that she's apparently connected to the Great Old Ones or something, I think Hanners is doing pretty well.

And I'm not sold on the T-shirt colour either, but it's a long way from the worst colour Jeph's put her in.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

...She's had that red t-shirt for a long time now. <shrug>

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Clearly she has a lot more wrong with her brain than just crippling anxiety and OCD; those are simply her most visible symptoms.
Considering that she's apparently connected to the Great Old Ones or something, I think Hanners is doing pretty well.

And I'm not sold on the T-shirt colour either, but it's a long way from the worst colour Jeph's put her in.
I'd say this one is probably the worst.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Maybe she has a Evil Hand.

No, that's Clinton.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I kinda like that shirt on her. What's wrong with it?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Uhoh, REDSHIRT!!!!!

Let's hope she has the Scotty Immunity Factor, otherwise this could be bad.   :-D

Oh, and break a leg Angus  ;)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Preferably somebody else's leg, but do what you have to do.  :laugh:

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Considering she does't appear to remember having written all those KILL BLOOD messages around the kitty, I suspect steps 9 and 10 happened while Hanners was blacked out and, as such, aren't included.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

TheCallMeFez

• Not quite a lurker

Exactly, I got the impression that it was the prospect of having to clean messy fluids -- especially other people's messy fluids -- off her couch that perturbed her so much, not the concept of boners per se.

Edit:

I think step 8 was adding the top hat, step 9 the monocle, and step 10 the bowtie. She just showed the final result of all three steps at once, rather than the intermediate stages.

I actually read about someone with OCD recently. They said they would often get vivid images of violence towards their friends and family and were unable to stop them.  Its apparently pretty common. The problem with OCD is that you can't stop the thoughts/rituals. Not saying that they would actually do it, but they would imagine it and would be unable to stop imagining it. Either its a fluke on Jeph's part or he actually did some research.

People with OCD generally:

Have repeated thoughts or images about many different things, such as fear of germs, dirt, or intruders; acts of violence; hurting loved ones; sexual acts; conflicts with religious beliefs; or being overly tidy
Do the same rituals over and over such as washing hands, locking and unlocking doors, counting, keeping unneeded items, or repeating the same steps again and again
Can't control the unwanted thoughts and behaviors
Don't get pleasure when performing the behaviors or rituals, but get brief relief from the anxiety the thoughts cause
Spend at least 1 hour a day on the thoughts and rituals, which cause distress and get in the way of daily life.

source:  http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/index.shtml#part3

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Good post! Thank you and welcome, new person.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Let's hope she has the Scotty Immunity Factor, otherwise this could be bad.   :-D

Danger couldn't get past her Mighty Fists of Infinite Punches.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Storel

Oh, right, I'd forgotten about that one! I always figured that was just her friends the Space Aliens taking over her mind for a moment to help her out. (No, we've never seen any Space Aliens or heard Hanners mention them, but that's not the sort of thing you would mention, right? Especially if they blank your memory each time so you can't remember them.)

Or, possibly more plausibly, her friend Station put some useful post-hypnotic defenses in her mind back when she was a kid, to help her out.

I'd say this one is probably the worst.

Aw, I always liked that yellow dress. I never could figure out why everyone kept referring to it as a "bright" yellow; it's not bright at all -- butter yellow at most.

You want a bright yellow, check out chromium yellow sometime. Blinding!

Uhoh, REDSHIRT!!!!!

It's not anything to do with Scotty specifically; Uhura always survived landing parties, too. it's actually rank-related. As the "Desiderata of the 23rd Century" pointed out many years ago, "If your rank is below lieutenant, never volunteer for landing parties."

I actually read about someone with OCD recently. They said they would often get vivid images of violence towards their friends and family and were unable to stop them.  Its apparently pretty common. The problem with OCD is that you can't stop the thoughts/rituals. Not saying that they would actually do it, but they would imagine it and would be unable to stop imagining it. Either its a fluke on Jeph's part or he actually did some research.

Wow, interesting, I never knew about that. It appears I had some misconceptions about OCD. Thanks for the illumination!

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

It is the start of the long distance relationship blues, with a red shirt.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

Wow.  Coffee of Doom.  It seems like YEARS since we've seen that place in the strip for some reason. 

Poor Faye.  She'll figure it out.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

She's got so much time and energy invested in her prickly hedgehog act that she's still unsure what to do when she uncurls.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I had completely forgotten this is Dora's new look.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

She's got so much time and energy invested in her prickly hedgehog act that she's still unsure what to do when she uncurls.

I'll wait to see what happens when she encounters Dale.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It's not anything to do with Scotty specifically; Uhura always survived landing parties, too.
Ah, but Uhura did not wear a red shirt, unless you count that bikini-top thing she wore in Mirror Mirror.

It seems Angus is the wind beneath Fay's snark wings.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I loved today's strip. An insight into Faye when something matters to her.

Also Dora looks mega hot in it today.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Reminds me of Marten's mom. I think I prefer some of the previous looks.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Even Emily is brought down by Faye's malaise. This is getting serious. I mean, the girl takes such joy in her banana smashies, but the artistry with which Faye hammers the banana is a critical part of it. Come on, Faye, this isn't just a drink you're making, it's a performance!

I'm not even going to ask how Cosette got her head stuck in a bucket. I don't want to know.

Storel

It's not anything to do with Scotty specifically; Uhura always survived landing parties, too.
Ah, but Uhura did not wear a red shirt, unless you count that bikini-top thing she wore in Mirror Mirror.

:roll:

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I'm not even going to ask how Cosette got her head stuck in a bucket. I don't want to know.

There is precedent.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

She's looking extra goth and it's really doing it for me.

And Dora never does it for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up