Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2426 times)

LawGeek

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« on: 09 Apr 2014, 18:39 »

Hey! I just joined. I had read the comic a few years back, but law school got in the way.  I pretty much forgot it all, so I am re-reading it from the beginning. I did have a group of friends who wore QC Ts and was inspired to stop at a coffee shop in Northampton during my monthly trek home to NY from Boston, so I have a feeling I'll catch up eventually.

I do have a query, and I couldn't find the answer in the search.  I'm up to comic 132 in my re-reading adventure, and I'm confused.  What is a goth coven?  I'm familiar with religious covens, but the way Dora responds to Raven makes it sound like all their coven does is listen to music and speak about how misanthropic they are.  Are non-religious covens really a thing?

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 09 Apr 2014, 19:11 »

Welcome! Guard your lug wrench as best you can, although the last newcomer had his dropped into Mt. Doom by Frodo, along with the Ring. I don't have an answer to your question, though. It's kind of ancient history and I'm ancient enough never to have been remotely close to that part of popular culture. I would speculate that there were indeed secular covens, since I have no memory of Wiccan references in early QC comics.

jruhlman09

• Not quite a lurker
  • Go Blue!
« Reply #2 on: 09 Apr 2014, 21:39 »

Welcome! Guard your lug wrench as best you can, although the last newcomer had his dropped into Mt. Doom by Frodo, along with the Ring.

I even had it forged from tungsten.. Kugai is very resourceful, and apparently has contacts in the Shire.

As for your question, I'm not super knowledgeable about goth and covens, but a quick google brought up that there was apparently a band in the 60's called Coven. According to wiki "They are recognized as being the band that first introduced the "Sign of the Horns" to rock, metal and pop culture". That sounds kind of goth-y, so maybe is a play on words/obscure band reference.

Again, I don't know much about the topic, but I don't usually let that stop me :P
I'll come up with a better one of these later.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2014, 12:39 »

Welcome aboard the board

As for the other matter

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2014, 11:05 »

A goth coven is simply a Wiccan coven with a lot of goths in it. In many places there is a significant overlap between the goth and Wiccan communities, which appears to have led Jeph to conflate the two. Just go with it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up