Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

MOMENT OF THE WEEK TIME!

TWO WEEKS?
- 0 (0%)
"I just wanna KNOW, y'know?"
- 0 (0%)
Glad we had sex before all the emotional talky stuff.
- 1 (2.2%)
Walking is better than headphones.
- 0 (0%)
She flew across the country for COFFEE.
- 2 (4.3%)
Common sense was never one of his or her strong suits.
- 4 (8.7%)
"We have a lot in common."
- 0 (0%)
"Not THAT. (Well, not that I know of.)"
- 0 (0%)
I didn't know moms could blush.
- 5 (10.9%)
Good luck, mom. I love you.
- 3 (6.5%)
I could end up with three dads! That's so many DADS!
- 10 (21.7%)
This is gonna sound awkward...
- 0 (0%)
You have a coffee date and this is the only place you trust Sam.
- 3 (6.5%)
You're psychic.
- 1 (2.2%)
Her name is Veronica, you met her online, and she's here from California on business.
- 10 (21.7%)
WHOAAAA.
- 7 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2686-2690 (21-25 April 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 25249 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Posting via iPod touch on Tapatalk, so no poll ATM.

EDIT: Working on poll.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2014, 09:55 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The Pugnacious Peach is allowing herself to be vulnerable.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

2 weeks comic time could be anywhere from 1 or 2 strips to 300 strips real world time.  Well, okay, 300 is probably exaggerating.

(And now Jeph, having read this, will make the next 132 strips Yelling Bird and Randy strips.)

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

The 74th one in that sequence will be of Jim eating a muffin.

Methinks this week is going to be drama.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Methinks this week is going to be dreams.

At a small zoom level on my phone this is what your post looked like

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Also possible.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Wow, I wish Faye would pull herself together. There's plenty of time to worry about a long distance relationship when you actually know it's going to happen.
Also, two weeks until the next stage of the application process does not strike me very long - but of course it can feel very long if you're anxious about it like Faye. It's a little ironic that Angus seems to be way more relaxed than Faye although it's his professional future that's on the line, not hers.

(Do you think Jeph would drag this out so much if he didn't plan on Angus getting the job? I'm not sure. Could be either.)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Yeeeaaaah... Faye 'just pulling herself together' is just not going to happen and is honestly kind of insensitive to say. Someone  with severe anxiety disorder and worries over abandonment issues thanks to her father's suicide isn't going to just get over it. I mean she's been trying to deal with this most of her life and even been seeing a therapist about it. She's really making amazing progress simply do the fact that she's let herself get into this situation by getting close to Angus, and right now to her it probably feels like everything she ever feared about getting close to someone again is happening, and she is helpless to stop it. That she's actually trying to deal with the situation instead of running away or drinking herself into a stupor is a huge thing.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I'm not telling her to, I said I wish she would - that does not imply that she is able to. Maybe the phrase "pulling herself together" is too negative? English isn't my first language so I might occasionally not realise that something has different connotations from what I think it has.

And she did try to drink herself into a stupor before, but luckily it does not seem to have progressed to the stupor stage - good for her.

I guess I just thought that by this time she'd come further along fighting her anxieties so that it wouldn't bother her so much - at least before Angus moving away actually happens. I guess she fooled me there with her usual tough and confident behaviour. (I think it's quite a long time in the comic since that facade came down the last time.)
Angus seems to be pretty concerned about her reaction as well... I hope he can deal with it.

Edit: I also did not write 'just' (as in "Just pull yourself together!") anywhere - I can immediately hear that that implies it is easy, which I do not think it is for her. I honestly only expressed the wish that Faye manages to get her anxiety under control so that she doesn't harm her relationship, which I fear she's doing here - I guess I had better written it with those words in the first place, right? So, I am sorry if that came out wrong, I should have worded it differently.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2014, 12:47 by Mlle Germain »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

There's plenty of time to worry about a long distance relationship when you actually know it's going to happen.

Yes, but it takes a lot of self-training and life wisdom to refrain from worrying about things that might happen. It's a difficult skill even for people who've had an easier emotional life than Faye.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

There's plenty of time to worry about a long distance relationship when you actually know it's going to happen.

Yes, but it takes a lot of self-training and life wisdom to refrain from worrying about things that might happen. It's a difficult skill even for people who've had an easier emotional life than Faye.
Depending on the mindset, it might take a lot less.  Some (like me) seem to go through life blessedly carefree, whatever might happen, while others (like my dear mother) seem to wind up cripplingly neurotic, often for no apparent cause.

Perhaps it's from the genes.  Perhaps it is from otherwise-forgotten early months.  But to all appearances that, at least, came naturally to me: If I can't do anything about it, there's no point in worrying.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

The whole 'just pull yourself together' is something that people use a lot. And for those of us who suffer from anxiety disorders, it's pretty hurtful and insulting. In a lot of cases, 'just pulling yourself together' enough to seem 'normal' to people on the outside is an absolutely herculean effort. Rarely do people ever get cured from those sorts of disorders. We just learn better coping mechanisms. Which is where Faye is at right now. But the pain, the sick feeling in your stomach, your mind whirling a thousand possible scenarios, each worse than the last that you just can't shut up, no matter how hard you try. All the while attempting to put on a happy face. And then someone telling you to just pull yourself together, or just get over it like you haven't been trying to do that your whole life.... Sorry, but I hope you can see how that feels like someone just punched you when they say something like that. It feels like all  your hard work and efforts are just dismissed as if they didn't matter.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

And then someone telling you to just pull yourself together, or just get over it like you haven't been trying to do that your whole life.... Sorry, but I hope you can see how that feels like someone just punched you when they say something like that.
Oh, absolutely.  And that's the kind way you're putting it.  I suspect Faye might be one of those who would prefer being punched: She certainly serves punches lightly enough.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I am not a worrier, but I do have anxiety and panic attacks. It isn't logical, because I'm a born coper and a good organiser, so it is extremely rare that things go badly wrong, but nonetheless there are times when I am stressing out and can't get my anxiety under control without someone else's help (usually I turn to my mum or a friend for distraction). Ironically when things do go wrong I can rise to the occasion; I'm good in a crisis and stay pretty relaxed when plans get derailed. But that doesn't stop the faulty wiring in my brain misfiring sometimes!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

I think she's just still in two minds about the whole thing.  I mean, she wants to support Angus in his career, but if he does get this job it'll mean he's going to have to move away.  Leaving the whole thing hanging for two more weeks is uncomfortable for her, and probably for Angus too.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Tabfan

• Not quite a lurker

This Faye/Angus story feels really stretched out.  I'm getting tired of the whole 'will he move to New York or not, and will Faye move with him or not' angle.  It's like they're both stuck in limbo, and nothing interesting can happen until this gets resolved.

Also, on a separate note, I miss Claire.  How long has it been since she's been in comic?  I'd love it if she got some story time soon.
"Sham-bam-bamina."  Davis the Gray from Sockbaby

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The bane of a large ensemble comic: not enough screen time for everyone.
Just another Joe like 46

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

With Tai and Claire being the initiators of the Veronica and Jim arc I'm positively hopeful they'll get more screentime soon. Who I really hope for is Wil. Maybe even an arc about his and Jimbos writing career. Let's see what the future and Jeph will bring.

Edit instead of doublepost:

I like todays comic. Bit of story, solid punchline.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2014, 19:48 by ankhtahr »
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

If common sense was one of her strong suits, she would've said "and to see you!" Also Marten has his mom's eyes. Although maybe his dad's too, I don't recall what his dad's eyes look like.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Why not fly across the country for coffee if you can afford it?

She doesn't have to worry about her carbon footprint since Dr. E-C developed the albedo control mechanism.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

But not the libido control mechanism, it would seem.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Well, if you installed the libido control mechanism in the AnthroPCs, the horny little buggers would revolt. (Not going to bother linking the comic, since I think everyone knows which one it is  :-P )
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

He flew across country to chase after a girl from college. She flew across country for coffee with a bakery owner.

Yeah, the Vance side of the tree seems to be rather impulsive.
Just another Joe like 46

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Also, on a separate note, I miss Claire.  How long has it been since she's been in comic?  I'd love it if she got some story time soon.

If it counts, I still predict Veronica bringing her up and trying to ship her with Marten.

Again.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

He flew across country to chase after a girl from college. She flew across country for coffee with a bakery owner.

Yeah, the Vance side of the tree seems to be rather impulsive.
Yes but....
A colleague of mine asked for advice at work. I said "Go for it!"
So two days later, he flew from Australia to the UK, for a weekend. To propose. She accepted, of course, when a guy you're crazy about turns up on your doorstep like that with a bouquet of red roses after flying halfway round the world...

Sometimes it's just the right thing to do.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Possible scenario:
Suppose Veronica and Jim hook up. What would the consequences be?
  • Veronica moves to Northampton
  • She would be a dominating (sic) presence in the comics
  • The Secret Bakery would reappear in the series
  • Has Padma moved back and got her old job?
  • Marten would get a step-sister (Samantha)
  • Veronica might groom Dora to inherit her business, as Dora obviously has the necessary looks and qualifications.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

• Marten moves away for the sake of his sanity.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

for the sake of his sanity.
Pretty sure he gave up on that years ago.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Marten -- the man with three dads!
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Marten -- the man with three dads!
And no father figure.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

"I never said common sense was one of my strong suits."

Well, at least Marten comes by it honestly...  8-)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

To belatedly respond to Monday's strip's comments, Angus is seeming chilled, I suspect, because if he is anything like me, he values Faye's needs above his own so any of his own anxiety has been buried so he can be there for her.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I think you're dead-on, Gaz. He was so worried about the audition and how it'd affect Faye that he sought out Marten.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

"I never said common sense was one of my strong suits."

Like mother like son clearly.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

To belatedly respond to Monday's strip's comments, Angus is seeming chilled, I suspect, because if he is anything like me, he values Faye's needs above his own so any of his own anxiety has been buried so he can be there for her.
There is also a certain type of person who gets calm as soon as everybody around them panics. Angus might be one such person.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Some trips are worth the hassle - even with TSA.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Moms Can BLUSH!

Just another Joe like 46

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Moms can blush? Come on, there's willing suspension of disbelief, but that's just ridiculous :roll:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

The only reason why I'd want a "like" button for these forums is to use it on posts like that. :)
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

That was an amazing combination of sweet and insightful and funny.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I'm pretty surprised they wouldn't have discussed kink. It seems likely she's kinky personally and that's kind of important if it's a central part of her sexuality.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Yes, when I have just met someone, especially online, my sexuality is always the first thing I want to discuss. :roll:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator

Your kinks are not necessarily what you put forward in an online discussion (unless in a specific chat, obviously). Especially if said kinks are a bit "osés". You can have some innuendo; no actual explanation, though.

Warning - while you were typing a new confession has been posted. You may wish to review your penance.
Signature OF DOOM!

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference

I'm pretty surprised they wouldn't have discussed kink. It seems likely she's kinky personally and that's kind of important if it's a central part of her sexuality.

She pointed out that they're both self-employed, so I'm guessing they've discussed their respective jobs so Jim shouldn't be COMPLETELY in the dark.

Also, do we know how kinky Veronica herself is in her personal life? She obviously does crazy stuff with her clients and is pretty much up for anything in that regard, but that's all presumably by request. Do we have any clue what she'd get up to with a vanilla/missionary-only kind of person (assuming Jim is) when she's not on the clock?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Why would we assume Jim is "missionary-only"? That being said, this seems like a step too far for the forum. They're going on their first date, discussing their sex life is premature.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

this seems like a step too far for the forum. They're going on their first date, discussing their sex life is premature.

You mean to say the forum has never prematurely speculated about characters' sex lives?  :psyduck:

This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

It has too much, and therefore faced deletion.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Oh I'm very much aware of that, ankh.  :-P

Premature Speculation seems to be a problem here in this forum,
(click to show/hide)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Several ways this could go:

1. Jim doesn't know who Veronica is. She doesn't tell him.
2. Jim doesn't know who Veronica is. She tells him up front. He runs away.
3. Jim doesn't know who Veronica is. She tells him up front. He's intrigued.
4. Jim knows who Veronica is. He's a fanboy (think this). She can't stand it, and drops things.
5. Jim knows who Veronica is. He's a fanboy. She LOVES it. Wedding bells again.
6. Jim knows who Veronica is - but doesn't let on. She doesn't tell him. Big reveal at some awkward moment in the future.
7. Jim knows who Veronica is - but doesn't let on. She reluctantly tells him, and he says, "no big deal."
8. Something completely different.
Just another Joe like 46

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

And now for something completely different...
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up