• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Whad'a'we look forward to THIS week?

Veronica explains Pandora's Box to Jim.
- 4 (7.1%)
Jim is found tied to the espresso machine.
- 1 (1.8%)
Veronica kisses BOTH of Sam's frogs. Nothing happens.
- 4 (7.1%)
Jim is found tied to the bakery's oven.
- 4 (7.1%)
Veronica announces she's rented an apartment.
- 8 (14.3%)
Sam asks Veronica what she does for a living.
- 18 (32.1%)
Some of those other characters do something.
- 17 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: 09 May 2014, 20:02

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2696-2700 (5 May-9 May 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 33536 times)

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Here's a poll, my first and last, and a thread. It was a slow race, and I lost.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Week ends with Claire, Tai and sparkles.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

mmm... scones...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jmucchiello

• Curry sauce

The secret bakery is closed on Mondays.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I can't tell if Veronica is like "Damn, his passion is hot" or "Damn, this guy's a little too into baked goods" in the last panel.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Maybe Jeph didn't reference his wall of post-it notes today (see Read or Die)?

I don't envy bakers at all, but I do respect their work.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

So basically, Jim just glorified minimum wage jobs in the second to last panel.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Well, if it actually is your passion, I don't see why not.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ysth

• capital eszet

Jim has phrased it a little off; he's not describing a baker, he's describing a bakery owner.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

I can't tell if Veronica is like "Damn, his passion is hot" or "Damn, this guy's a little too into baked goods" in the last panel.
I took it as something like a combination of the two....  "Damn, his passion is hot, but he's a little insane."

Overall, this date is going awfully well.

I think V.V. appreciates that Jim is basically neutral about her work--he's not shocked or critical, but he's not into her because she's a dominatrix.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

If you think that business owners are glorified minimum wage workers, then I suppose so, yes.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

The secret bakery is closed on Mondays.
But it's Wednesday in strip time.

« Last Edit: 05 May 2014, 07:22 by Nepiophage »
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I don't think bakers are minimum-wage workers. Hard work is not necessarily ill-paid work, or unworthy of passion. The second last panel could almost be a Mao-era poster (Edit: Found a better picture):

"Self-reliance and hard work building the motherland."
« Last Edit: 05 May 2014, 03:11 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I like scones.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Googling "BDSM 101" returns several links. Here is one that looks informative (SFW). Not that I am any kind of expert on this subject...

Here is another poster that Jeph could have used as inspiration for today's strip:

Jim's radiant passion for true bakers, and his similarity to certain all-powerful dictators, might impress VV. She might fall for alpha males.

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Jim has phrased it a little off; he's not describing a baker, he's describing a bakery owner.
His description fits the work of employed bakers as well as that of bakery-owning bakers (not, however, the work of bakery owners who mainly act as managers of their business and leave the actual baking to their employees). It's just that, as an employed baker, your willingness to work "ungodly hours" might be curbed by union regulations/workplace laws, and your passion and zeal might wane if you feel they are exploited by your employer.

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

If you think that business owners are glorified minimum wage workers, then I suppose so, yes.

Early in her stint of being a small business owner my wife discovered that with all the time that needed to be spent on paperwork, etc for the store, that she was getting slightly less than minimum wage....
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I just calculated how much I make per hour, given I typically work ~65 hours per week: $6.70/hour. Granted, I am a graduate student, though...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Hm. Working on the assumption that I work 22 weeks a year (my degree is approximately 50% placement, 50% theory but I think it's actually more like 60% placement overall), I make Ł6.40 an hour. That's not too bad! It's not really a wage though, it's a bursary, and thankfully not taxed.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Oh Jim, you set her heart all aflutter.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I think this is the first strip of the date where Veronica's face in the final panel doesn't say "he has one-third of one second to convince me not to start walking..."
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Jim's radiant passion for true bakers, and his similarity to certain all-powerful dictators, might impress VV. She might fall for alpha males.

If so, then why did she ever fall for Henry? He's never seemed very alpha to me...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It's "minimum wage" if you're working to make your employer rich.
It's your passion/dream/drive/sacrifice if you're working to make yourself rich.

Define "rich" how you want to. It's not all (your local monetary unit) signs.

Me, I define "rich" as the ability to get away with saying: "You're an asshole. I won't work for you."

By that measure, I'm ... comfortably well off, if I don't get incapacitatingly sick or my car doesn't break down catastrophically in this public-transitless place which I wouldn't trade for the finest city you can think of.

Might one say Jim ... (shades) DOMINATES the local baking scene? Oh, Veronica ... you've met your match and it's set the big blender thing on fire.

"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

If so, then why did she ever fall for Henry? He's never seemed very alpha to me...

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I think Marten's mom's vagina just skipped a beat.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

THIS IS BAKED GOODS!!!!!!!!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I don't think bakers are minimum-wage workers.
When I did it, it was actually at a coffee shop, and I got paid about a whole $1.50 USD above minimum wage in exchange for working really shitty hours.  I only took the position because I only had to do it once a week, and the rest of my shifts were as a barista for the same wage (they didn't put me at on a split pay scale) and get tipped on top of the higher pay rate.  My manager on the other hand covered a fair number of baking shifts, and was actually getting less than minimum wage because he was salaried and therefore exempt from overtime.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

Might one say Jim ... (shades) DOMINATES the local baking scene? Oh, Veronica ... you've met your match and it's set the big blender thing on fire.

Once again, DSL wins Comment of the Week.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Oh Jim, no.  No.  It really doesn't.
It makes you look (as she said) like you can't be bothered, or are one of those unfortunates who can grow stubble in six hours and a full beard in a week.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

"unfortunates"? I think being able to grow a beard makes me fortunate indeed.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Can someone explain why he interjected with the hair comment?  I'm not sure I quite understand it.

Indicible

• Jaegermonster impersonator

I think he wants to demonstrate he made an effort  when faced with the prospect of meeting her, in comparison to going across the whole country to meet him (and see her son).
Not that it is particularly impressive an effort, but still.
Signature OF DOOM!

Jazzmaster

I think he wants to demonstrate he made an effort  when faced with the prospect of meeting her, in comparison to going across the whole country to meet him (and see her son).

Makes sense.  The only problem is he didn't even know she'd gone across the country solely to meet him. 

specter177

• Balloon animal serial killer

Or he's just trying to be honest with her.

ysth

• capital eszet

Can someone explain why he interjected with the hair comment?  I'm not sure I quite understand it.
She said something that indicated Things Are Happening, and he freaked from nervous hysteria and said the thing hovering in his head that he didn't want her to know.

Penquin47

The six-hour stubble is extremely unfortunate when your school enforces a no-facial-hair code strictly.  With cheap razors.

Naturally, we have a freshman who now has to spend his lunch period going home to shave.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Makes sense.  The only problem is he didn't even know she'd gone across the country solely to meet him.
What else could it be? Why lie to him if the true purpose was e.g. seeing Marten?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

It's her dominant energy that makes him do it.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.

The six-hour stubble is extremely unfortunate when your school enforces a no-facial-hair code strictly.  With cheap razors.

Naturally, we have a freshman who now has to spend his lunch period going home to shave.

So would they actually chuck you out of the school if you grew a beard? What the fuck is that.

Anyway, tangential comment: This might be the first instance I've seen of a cartoonist deliberately drawing a particular species of tree, rather than a general brown and green shape. Hooray for birch.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Veronica made a confession of deception, so he felt impelled to come clean about something he was perhaps insecure about?

The six-hour stubble is extremely unfortunate when your school enforces a no-facial-hair code strictly.
What do they do about Sikh, arguably Muslim, or Haredi Jewish students? Is this one of those "neutral" grooming standards that is really covert racist or religious bigotry?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What the hell? What kind of school would do that? :psyduck:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Veronica made a confession of deception, so he felt impelled to come clean about something he was perhaps insecure about?
That was my impression.  Well, not necessarily impelled.  Making a good first impression is nice, deceiving is less so.  He may have wanted to come clean, and V gave him a good opportunity.

The six-hour stubble is extremely unfortunate when your school enforces a no-facial-hair code strictly.
What do they do about Sikh, arguably Muslim, or Haredi Jewish students? Is this one of those "neutral" grooming standards that is really covert racist or religious bigotry?
I second that question.

And I question such a standard in any case: I'm neither Sikh, Muslim, nor Jew, but I keep my beard, and kept it even in the army.  (Of course, this was the Norwegian army.  For two weeks, before I was transferred to the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment.)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Does it have to be "covert racist or religious bigotry" and not just simple ignorance?
Anyone with experience of a small(ish)-town U.S. local school board will understand my question, especially in an area in which people who differ visibly from the local norm are in short supply.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

like you can't be bothered
To be fair, this is why I shave so infrequently. I mean, I'm currently growing out a goatee (and it's an awesome goatee) but I should probably shave the other parts more often as opposed to every week or two.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I just calculated how much I make per hour, given I typically work ~65 hours per week: $6.70/hour. Granted, I am a graduate student, though...

Wow! I make just shy of $30/hour, and that's not far above average here in Norway.  :psyduck:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Storel

Wow! I make just shy of $30/hour, and that's not far above average here in Norway.  :psyduck:

Yes, but how much of that do you get to keep, after taxes are removed? I've heard that Scandinavian taxes are pretty high by U.S. standards.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

like you can't be bothered
To be fair, this is why I shave so infrequently. I mean, I'm currently growing out a goatee (and it's an awesome goatee) but I should probably shave the other parts more often as opposed to every week or two.
That can be fine day-to-day, but for a big important date you want to look like you cared enough to "be bothered."  Like wearing something nice even if your day-to-day is old t-shirts.

I had the same thought as V.V. when I first saw Jim's date hair--"He was so eager to impress that he dyed his grey, but didn't shave??"

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well yeah, if I had occasion I'd shave.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I take a similar approach to shaving my legs and wearing makeup - I only bother for special occasions, not because I think those things make me look better but because they make me look different which feels kind of fancy.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well I shave because after a while it starts to itch and the longer I wait the harder it is when I do shave.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up