• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Whad'a'we look forward to THIS week?

Veronica explains Pandora's Box to Jim.
- 4 (7.1%)
Jim is found tied to the espresso machine.
- 1 (1.8%)
Veronica kisses BOTH of Sam's frogs. Nothing happens.
- 4 (7.1%)
Jim is found tied to the bakery's oven.
- 4 (7.1%)
Veronica announces she's rented an apartment.
- 8 (14.3%)
Sam asks Veronica what she does for a living.
- 18 (32.1%)
Some of those other characters do something.
- 17 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: 09 May 2014, 20:02

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2696-2700 (5 May-9 May 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 33534 times)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

I'm particularly interested in Jeph's note at the bottom saying OH MY GOSH QC VOLUME 4 IS FINALLY ON SALE!!!.

Quote from: QC Volume 4 product page
Volume 4 is a different size than the others! It's now easier to hold and more fun to read and each page is half a comic!

Nice, I hope that means the word balloons will be larger and easier to read -- my middle-aged eyes have a really hard time trying to read volumes 1-3. And yes, I know I'm overdue for bifocals...

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

I'm particularly interested in Jeph's note at the bottom saying OH MY GOSH QC VOLUME 4 IS FINALLY ON SALE!!!.
Already ordered. But why are the albums so far behind the Web comics? Does it take a very long time to print and collect them into an album?

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

QC volume 4. Featuring Hannerbutt.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

So would they actually chuck you out of the school if you grew a beard? What the fuck is that.

No, they don't chuck you out of school.  They call you out of class to come to the office, be handed a cheap-ass razor from the dollar store and some shaving cream, and told to get shavin'.

What do they do about Sikh, arguably Muslim, or Haredi Jewish students? Is this one of those "neutral" grooming standards that is really covert racist or religious bigotry?

They wonder what the hell they're doing in a small town in West Texas?  ;)  Seriously, I don't know what they would do in such a situation, but to the best of my knowledge there are no Sikh, Muslim, or Jewish students in our district.  I'm not sure *why* we have the policy, but I can't imagine the district would want the lawsuit that would go with forcing a member of those religions to shave.

Then again, this is the same district that says grace before our monthly birthday luncheons (attendance not mandatory), has an after-school Bible study group for teachers (not mandatory), and arranges the calendar to be sure we're out of school on Good Friday, even if that means extending the school year because we need to make up a snow day.  So, yanno.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

They'd probably start with the whole "Constitution says *congress* shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, but *we're* not *congress*" gambit, then they'd get smacked down in the lower courts with lawyers talking about  "secular purpose" and "primary effect" and "excessive entanglement". They'd appeal, causing Fox News and MSNBC to passiveaggressively natter back and forth with each other before the majority-catholic supreme court would make some ruling that would result in lawyers making a big pile of money.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

What do they do about Sikh, arguably Muslim, or Haredi Jewish students? Is this one of those "neutral" grooming standards that is really covert racist or religious bigotry?

They wonder what the hell they're doing in a small town in West Texas?  ;)
Well, where else are you going to find good beef brisket?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MAXIMUM WEIRDNESS
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Okay, so Veronica's son, Marten, previously dated Dora, who Jim dated once, and he also had a relationship with Jim's employee, Padma. Jim's 13-year-old daughter is at Dora's shop. Hmm... how can we make this more awkward... do any of the characters in either shop have a ~13-year-old brother for Sam to share an awkward almost-kiss with? (hey, that's as far as I went when I was that age...)

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference

Okay, so Veronica's son, Marten, previously dated Dora, who Jim dated once, and he also had a relationship with Jim's employee, Padma.

...and he is an employee of Tai (sort of), who Dora is dating now - and whose idea this date was in the first place.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Well, if you want more weirdness, Dora could bring up she discovered her sexuality by looking at pictures of Veronica...

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!

Hmm... is there enough thumbtacks and colored string in the world to map this one out?

sluthy

Hmm... is there enough thumbtacks and colored string in the world to map this one out?

I've had a crack using the colour scheme I assume she used:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/alagm85wah6j5ie/qc.png

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I wonder if Sam is going to prompt some decision of Veronica. So far they're just on a date. But I can totally see Sam asking whether they are going to kiss or something.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

What does the red stand for?

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I don't recall Marten banging Tai, so... friendship?
Pink line is "Dated", green is "Family", the thin pink arrow is "Diddled self to", I'm not sure about the purple. "Business or Employment", maybe?
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Weird? No weirder than reality. I actually saw a diagram like this when I was 20. But it had 42 vertices, and several thousand lines. Vertices carefully unlabelled, so even though I knew my vertex, I never knew who were the 2 people who secretly "admired" me (according to the colour code).
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Hang on - who's "Martin"? I haven't come across a character with that name, I think...  :wink:
What do you know about Pokémon?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

mmmm.. red=friendship would make sense. I was thinking purple=friendship. so that threw me off. But purple=business relationship also makes sense.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

MAXIMUM WEIRDNESS
Sam meeting Veronica: Sam is into swordfighting and masks, so I guess some of Veronica's accessories will appeal to Sam (if not swords, I bet Veronica has a good collection of whips). Sadly, they are currently in Veronica's hotel room, so I guess we will not see them tomorrow. Sam will have some real awkward questions for Veronica.

Veronica meeting Dora: This may be the main reason Veronica came (it is really a business trip, after all). Veronica wants to retire, and is looking for someone to take over her business. Dora fits her requirements perfectly.

Jim meeting Dora: Meh. They just went on a date. Jim uses Dora regularly as a babysitter. Besides, they are business partners, sort of (trading cookies for coffee).

Marten and Tai (and Momo?) are probably also at CoD, they hang out there all the time.

Marten meeting Jim: Dad #3? He might ask if Jim has heard from Padma.

Marten meeting Sam: They have met previously at the Secret Bakery, and on the hiking trip. Marten thinks Sam has a bad influence on Momo. He might re-evaluate her as a possible stepsister.

Sam and Momo might go frog-hunting again when they meet at CoD  :mrgreen:

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Veronica meeting Dora: This may be the main reason Veronica came (it is really a business trip, after all). Veronica wants to retire, and is looking for someone to take over her business. Dora fits her requirements perfectly.

Goddamn kids not wanting to inherit the family business.... It's selfish acts like this that is ruining society in some parts of the world.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I seriously doubt that this is what's going on.

Hang on - who's "Martin"? I haven't come across a character with that name, I think...  :wink:
This is probably ridiculous, but for some reason seeing Marten referred to as Martin always really bugs me. I don't know why, exactly. Maybe because to me, they're very different names and it would be like Hanners being referred to as Hanna, Dora as Dorothee, Marigold as Maria, Dale as David etc. It's just not them if the name's wrong...

sluthy

Yes alright I screwed up Martin/Marten. I was at work and I rushed it, fixed now.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Veronica turns the tables!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I don't know why, exactly.

I'd guess that being German causes it, as Martin is a common German name, which is pronounced like Mar-teen, the stress being on the second syllable. So it is a very different name than Marten.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

I love how Jeph tends to go for "comedy of raw honesty" instead of the more common "comedy of errors".
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I love how Jeph tends to go for "comedy of raw honesty" instead of the more common "comedy of errors".
Oh, that's why I like QC?  I've been wondering.

Okay, I'm kidding.  (I know I like QC for the banter.)  But yes, I've kinda had my fill of "comedy of errors".  The tendency towards "comedy of raw honesty" is a refreshing aspect of QC, and one I had not consciously noticed before.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd guess that being German causes it, as Martin is a common German name, which is pronounced like Mar-teen, the stress being on the second syllable. So it is a very different name than Marten.
Interesting. Over here, they're pronounced the same, or at least I think they are.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Enhance awkwardness with maximum weirdness!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

Interesting. Over here, they're pronounced the same, or at least I think they are.
They're homophones in some accents, according to Wiktionary, which also gives the following pronunciations:

Martin: /ˈmɑɹ.tn̩/ (US), /ˈmɑː.tɪn/ (UK);
Marten: /ˈmɑtən/ (US), /ˈmɑː(ɹ).tɪn/, /ˈmɑː(ɹ).tən/ (UK)

... which seems to suggest they're homophones in the UK only.

merriam-webster.com, however, gives \ˈmär-tən\ for both, so I guess it's good enough over there as well.  (And I guess the Websters have their own PA as well ...)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

If Marten and Martin have the same pronounciation in English, I have a wrong pereception of English pronounciation.

Ankhtahr is right about the German pronounciation, the i is longer than in English, which in German means it's an eee sound. Except I think the stress is still on the first syllable 'Mar-teen, not Mar-'teen.
In English, I thought Martin was pronounced Mah-tin with tin as in the metal tin (one doesn't hear the r in British English). And I've actually heard both of the Martins I know in England being pronounced like this all the time.
On the other hand, I would pronounce Marten more like Mah-ten with ten as in 10 - but with the e pronounced less, almost as if it was just Mah-tn. (And Pintsize seems to do as well: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1312)

Ok, thinking about it a bit more, they're certainly closer in English than in German if you don't pay attention, but still not the same in the way Katherine and Catherine or Philipp and Filip (and the many other spellings of this name - I can never spell it right) are, right?

PS. This is really not me bashing people who misspell Marten; I'm genuinely interested.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

In UK English it's the exact same pronunciation to the point that I don't know how else I would say 'Marten'.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Don't forget about Claire.  Veronica was pumping up Marten to her when they attended Marten's dad's wedding.  If Claire shows up at Coffee of Doom when Veronica and Jim do things could get even more interesting.  And as far as we know at the moment Marten is the only one, besides Clinton of course, who knows Claire is transitioning, which could complicate things if that fact somehow came out in the middle of this.

Oh, and as far as pronunciation goes I'm sure some English speakers will pronounce the second syllables in Martin and Marten as tin and ten respectively, just as others will pronounce them roughly the same.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Holy shit Claire and Marten getting in the middle of this mess of weird and awkward would be fucking beautiful. As well as delicious ship bait. With custard on top.

You pronounce the last bit of "Marten" like the number "ten" and Martin like the metal "tin".

Also I really doubt Jeph would use Claire's status as a trans* person for a quick gag like that... he (to my eyes) did a really good job with her coming out and handled it like the serious subject that it is, and has never used it as a "comedy" thing. Which is good.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I can only imagine 'Marten' in an over-exaggerated Southern drawl.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

In UK English it's the exact same pronunciation to the point that I don't know how else I would say 'Marten'.

I pronounce them close but not the same.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Holy shit Claire and Marten getting in the middle of this mess of weird and awkward would be fucking beautiful. As well as delicious ship bait. With custard on top.

<snip>
Also I really doubt Jeph would use Claire's status as a trans* person for a quick gag like that... he (to my eyes) did a really good job with her coming out and handled it like the serious subject that it is, and has never used it as a "comedy" thing. Which is good.

I also doubt Jeph would use Claire for cheap laughs, but if the whole gang was at CoD, it would maximize the awkwardness of the event and require more ridiculousity than we've seen in a while to overcome. 

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I'd rather expect Tai and Claire to fall into the RomCom Squeeing mode.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

It would be just like in a romantic comedy.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Goddamn kids not wanting to inherit the family business....

"I'm going to tie you up and whip you now. Are you OK with that? You're sure? I don't want to do anything you aren't 100% comfortable with."

Marten, you are the worst dominatrix ever.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

This is why we have safe words, because you kinda have to get used to 'OH GOD NO NO THAT HURTS PLEASE DON'T.'

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I don't think I'd ever be able to hurt someone, even if they wanted me to. That's just me though.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

And as far as we know at the moment Marten is the only one, besides Clinton of course, who knows Claire is transitioning, which could complicate things if that fact somehow came out in the middle of this.
For one thing, I'm not sure "transitioning" is really the adequate word to use about Claire's current status, but my grasp on that matter is sketchy.
For two, you forgot about Emily. How dare you forget about Emily?

Slight tangent: in order to retrieve the comic linked above, I used TV Tropes' "Heartwarming" page for QC. I tend to use more and more the "Heartwarming", "Funny", "Awesome" and "Tear Jerker" TV Tropes pages for webcomics I like in order to retrieve specific pages, because it's often quite efficient. Am I the only one to do that?
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I don't think I'd ever be able to hurt someone, even if they wanted me to. That's just me though.

If there's one thing I've learned, Method Man, it's that you and I are very different people.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yeah I think Claire is transitioned, if that's even a useful concept in this context. I don't see why it would come out that Claire is a trans woman though, why is that relevant even if she and Marten did start dating (for which there is no evidence in the strip - so let's not launch the ship just yet)?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

If there's one thing I've learned, Method Man, it's that you and I are very different people.
In some ways, yeah.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I used to think that too.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Interesting.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

The plot thickens

Or will we need Tin Hats?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Little tin hats.... yessssss...

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

Oh, and as far as pronunciation goes I'm sure some English speakers will pronounce the second syllables in Martin and Marten as tin and ten respectively, just as others will pronounce them roughly the same.

This. If I pronounce Martin and Marten without thinking about it, both their second syllables come out with the indeterminate vowel sound that is usually represented in dictionaries and in IPA with an upside-down 'e' (a schwa). If I concentrate, I might pronounce -tin and -ten like the respective words, but for the most part I don't bother.

(I also tend to pronounce the 't' in that name as a very soft, almost implied 't' rather than the hard 't' I would use if I were actually saying "tin" or "ten", and I do say "Mar" distinctly rather than "Mah". So my pronunciation is something like MAR'ən, where the apostrophe is a glottal stop.)

"I'm going to tie you up and whip you now. Are you OK with that? You're sure? I don't want to do anything you aren't 100% comfortable with."

Marten, you are the worst dominatrix ever.

Yes, that is exactly what Marten would be like as a dom!  :laugh:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up