THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 17:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good replacement for The Tomorrow People?  (Read 2134 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
Good replacement for The Tomorrow People?
« on: 01 Jun 2014, 11:26 »

So we've just begun watching The Tomorrow People, a show about a shadow war between a secret and sinister govt agency (led by a complicated psychopathic eugenicist) and an emerging mutant race of superpowered men and women (represented in the show by an underground rebel organisation composed of attractive young fighters and a series of "breakouts" who've just begun to access their powers). It's not super-original, kinda like a more teenified version of the first season of Heroes or maybe Alphas, but it really shines at times and am kinda miffed about the fact that it was cancelled after a single season.

So I'd like your help with finding similarly themed relatively new (ie. made in the last few years) and not-too-dark shows featuring super-powered people, underground rebels, govt. conspiracies etc. halp pls
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: Good replacement for The Tomorrow People?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2014, 14:57 »

I would actually recommend watching the original Tomorrow People, a 70's British show. I watched and loved that back in high school. I was excited when they were making a new version, but after a few episodes it did not impress and I stopped watching. There was less shadow government paranoia in the old show.

For new shows in the same genre, I highly recommend Lost Girl. A story of a woman who discovers as an adult that she isn't human, but rather one of the Fey, specifically a succubus. I know Succubi are technically demons, but in the show mythology, 'Fey' covers every non-human person. There is a lot of intrigue between the Light and Dark Fey courts, mystical powers, rebelious sorts... The main character refusing to join either the Light or the Dark and maintaining human friends, but working as a problem solver for both sides, and trying to protect the humans from Fey predation. In fair warning: the show is somewhat sexually charged. The main character is a bisexual succubus after all. While you don't see anything graphic, they push things about as far as they can for television.

You've mentioned Heroes and Alphas, which pretty much covers 'super heroes in the real world' TV shows. Warehouse 13 was good... Basically agents sent out to find all the mysterious, mystical artifacts and secure them for safety's sake. Once Upon A Time takes a page from Lost Girl. All the stories you've read are true, and they interact with each other. Alice from Wonderland meets Malificent, Jaffar and Captain Hook sort of thing. Santuary, Being Human, Haven and Eureka were also good. All have been canceled I think, but there's always Netflix and Hulu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up