Sam, Veronica's Padawan
Hannelore discovers Yuri/Shojou-Ai
More Jim and Veronica hijinks
Late Night with Angus McPhee and Faye Whittaker
Yelling Bird humps the Shame Orb
Spathe Ham with Bacon Waffles
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2726-2730 (16 - 20 June 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 33700 times)

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Yes, I also thought Emily looked a bit different. Something in the shape of her face, I think. I'm not sure I like it.

Everybody tends to come back looking different when they haven't been drawn in a while.
Just as people in the real world tend to look different when you haven't seen them in a while. Hmmm... I think we're on to something here.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Although in all seriousness, she just got out of jail for embezzling millions, what does she expect?
She paid her debt to society and expects that to mean something.

She didn't steal something for a shop, or even steal a car. She embezzled millions of dollars. You don't get to do that and just expect everything to be fine once you're out of jail.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer

Froggie in the blender!

WAYF

• Beyoncé

Who wants to bet that Emily will try to drink it anyway? :P

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

She didn't steal something for a shop, or even steal a car. She embezzled millions of dollars. You don't get to do that and just expect everything to be fine once you're out of jail.

So how hard a life are the former Executives from Enron, MF Global, Tyco, or any one of hundreds on Wall Street having now?
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

So how hard a life are the former Executives from Enron, MF Global, Tyco, or any one of hundreds on Wall Street having now?
(click to show/hide)

Which has what to do with anything?

'I know loads of racists that aren't in jail, so we shouldn't punish this one!'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

It's not how much you steal, but who you know. If this were an IRL situation, I'd be betting Macy's lack of "connections" and possible anti-AI prejudice had much to do with her sentence compared to any of the Big Time Swindlers. Maybe she was a robot-Madoff, or robot-Martha Stewart. Martha spent time in Club Fed for relatively small potatoes before bouncing back and Bernie's not going anywhere anytime soon.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

T

Coffee seems to have about the same price there as here, ditto guitars. A good restaurant meal is forty dollars. AI automation wouldn't help with rent prices, which are set by physical scarcity of land near employment.

This is fascinating to think about.
But maybe the money value is not the same.

I mean, like if everything is the same price but everyones salary is 10 times higher than if they had the same jobs in our world?

Economics could definitely work that way. On the other hand, near the start of the comic Marten said he was making barely USD20K/yr.
What was his job back them?

Office drone.
So maybe he was doing A job that already was dominated by AIs? AIs would do 100 times more than him but he would still get the same salary as the AIs.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Quote from: IICIH
20K USD/year [back then]

For what it's worth, $20K/2088 work hours per year = about $9.50 per hour... only nominally more than minimum wage in MA in 2003 ($6.75)

That's still more than the current minimum wage in Massachusetts (currently $8, but about to raise to $11 if legislation passes). Who knows what raises he would have gotten as an office drone (probably not much unless he quit and left or somehow got another job (oh wait he did(sort of))).

I think the economics in QCverse are approximately similar to reality... Station tried to "pay off" Lt. Potter for $4.6M, which is about what you'd need (I think) at her age to life comfortably without needing to work if invested properly. That scans pretty well with what you'd need now in realityverse to do the same.

I suspect that Jeph will have Something To Say about AI/Human discrimination/pay disparity/etc and whatnot soon in the comic, but it's hard to take the current QCverse with its new concepts and completely reconcile it with 2003QCverse. (hedge)

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi

So does a Frog Smoothie go well with Space Ham?  :psyduck:
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Frog Smooties

As made in France
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

Who wants to bet that Emily will try to drink it anyway? :P

No bets there, it's always a possibility with Emily.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

Zwammy

Her hair also appears to have grown back out a bit.

She's got two little hair horns (not sure what else to call them) in front now.

SuctionCup Caper Two

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • SUCTION CUPS UNITE

Are we sure it is Emily?  Could be a random background person who looks kinda like her.
MMM SUCTION CUPS

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung

The diagonal angle of the, um, "hem" of her hair (for lack of a better term) suggests Emily pretty strongly. It's a pretty unusual look. I think Emily's just done something different with the hair on her forehead... added some bangs, or something?

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

The hair (and the fact that Emily's the only one we've seen order smoothies at COD) suggests it's Emily. The hair's slightly different, but the eyes seem like they've changed significantly. Compare the last two panels with, say, http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2207 or the storyline at her parents' house.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Her bangs have grown out (the front part of her hair).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Does Emily look different now?
I think it's the two bangs she has hanging above her eyes. Interesting how such a minor detail changes the overall aspect of a face.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

Yeah, watch it, Dale.  Her hair needs to look nice for the new job.
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Awwww :)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

It's the humidity.

It took me a moment to realise that this is not actually a response to the last panel of today's comic.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I automatically claim that as an alternate caption for that last panel next week.
Just another Joe like 46

Monkey Says Yes

• Plantmonster

Oh, that's definitely Emily, unless they're a whole cadre of tall, slim ladies who love smashed bananas in a cup.

I really like May!  She's the QC Malaya, except with a better personality.  =)

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

May looks really cute in the last panel. Jeph has really gotten awfully good with facial expressions.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

I'm was a day behind, and just got through laughing my head off over the frog smoothie incident.  "Frog smoothie" should be an option on the next poll.

I really hope we get to see Ceremonial Frog return to the swamp.  Frog + more of Jeph's cool nature drawings would be awesome.

T

Feels like May is his pet. She didn't smiled when he got her a job but smiled when he petted her. Maybe she is a dog AI.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

It's the humidity.
It took me a moment to realise that this is not actually a response to the last panel of today's comic.
It should have been.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

The hair (and the fact that Emily's the only one we've seen order smoothies at COD) suggests it's Emily.

Minor nitpick: Claire ordered one on behalf of Emily, and Hanners tells her that they need to wash off the hammer.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

May responds well to decent treatment. There is hope.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Most people do. AI or not :)
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

miados

well she probably didn't get much if any in robot jail and since she is moving in with dale I would bet she doesn't really have friends/family so she likely didn't get many visitors. He might be the first person to have given her positive attention in a long while and well I want to use a comparison with a sponge but can't think of how to word it, but when you don't get anything positive in your life when you get even a small amount you sort of cling to it which is probably part of why she asked to move in since she knows dale is a good guy and won't hurt her.

also I think may looks really cute in this form. it helps that she isn't mr popo blue.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Be careful Dale, static charge is a bitch.

Glad to see May getting a job - we hope.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

There's a comedy gold mine in showing May trying to adjust her attitude to suit the job.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

mr popo blue.
I was going to respond to this with "wait, what?" but then I googled it and...apparently they recolored him for a new series? Interesting.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Renimar

• Not quite a lurker
  • It's my headcanon and you should respect that.

So Dale no longer works at the convenience store. When applying to Dora, he only mentioned wanting to quit the pizza job. That was also the one job we have seen him quit, and the only one we have seen him tell anyone that he has quit.

Dale's working all his previous jobs was likely due to each place only having a few hours to give him per week, so in order to actually pay his bills and support his mother, he had to work like 5 jobs at 10 hours/week each.  Perhaps CoD is giving him more hours and/or paying him more such that he can quit his other jobs and just be a barista. 

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

There's a comedy gold mine in showing May trying to adjust her attitude to suit the job.

One a week montage of May "jumping" from job to job, and why she was fired/let go from the previous job.

Zwammy

I find May's comment about her hair interesting - between the wireyness of her hair and lack of outer skin covering (how waterproof is she?) it seems to solidify the theory about her body being a lower end model. I know it's been discussed to some extent, but I wonder just how customizable the different models are within a line? Sure, there's no doubt they could have an AI in just about any form desired, but how different is one average model from another in the same line? I'm thinking that it's like buying a car in that aspect - they AI's personality is obviously going to be a factor in selecting a make and model (Momo had definite likes and dislikes), but other than coloration, gender, and hair how crazy can option selection get for the average buyer?

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Well we've seen AI bodies ranging from spiders and perfect humans to toasters. Famous anime characters to whales. Then more "standard" or perhaps even obsolete models like Pintsize and Winslow. So for the actual civilian market place? I'd guess the variety doesn't end. Especially when you factor in custom chassis and hobby builders.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

hobby builders.
Especially them. This must be the golden age of robotics in the QCverse….
Really want to see a Lego anthro-PC now. Wonder how many Mindstorms smart bricks you need to run an AI natively?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

You won't see a LEGO AnthroPC in Jeph's comic for one very obvious reason.
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Well, not branded as such, but you could get the point across that it's made of Legos, Lincoln Logs, an Erector Set, or whatever, without actually calling it by a brand name.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Lincoln Logs?

I always thought that Anthro PC was related to Log, not to Lincoln Logs.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

Well, we've seen, from GitS: Stand Alone Complex, a human install his CNS into a bread box in the form of a Jameson type prosthetic body.

There's no reason not to expect AIs to have similar range of options.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

I still don't get why you'd do a Jameson type prosthetic when you can get the full package like the Major. Each to their own I suppose.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

I still don't get why you'd do a Jameson type prosthetic when you can get the full package like the Major. Each to their own I suppose.
Dirt poor or recently paroled prisonner?
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

GarandMarine

• Awakened

Warning: the following post contains inconsequential spoilers for ghost in the shell. They are not related to the main plot of the anime but new viewers who wish to watch ghost in the shell may want to skip this post. I would spoiler it but I'm on my phone.

I suppose, but the only people we seeing ghost in the shell in a Jameson type prosthetic  is an eccentric wealthy man who I believe is supposed to be an American. He's played for laughs but there are comments from Major Kusanagi's team that indicate that he might have some type of mental disorder which would imply that better options are available and cheaply.

it is also worth noting that the glimpses we get of the major's childhood indicate that she has had a high quality or at least comparatively high quality you compared to a Jameson prosthetic, set up since her accident as a child.  it is simply possible that major Kusanagi is from a wealthy family we have not received any indicators of that background or status in the rest of her background. Not that we have terribly much information on the major's background. I'm under the impression that she's actually an orphan but I might be misremembering that.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

He's a Mega Blocks fan? That heretic!!

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

From memory, I think he did it out of some strange fascination with the Jameson model, putting it bluntly. Being an eccentric billionaire pretty much lets you do what you want with your own body, even when it comes to prosthetics.

It is also worth noting that the glimpses we get of the major's childhood indicate that she has had a high quality or at least comparatively high quality you compared to a Jameson prosthetic, set up since her accident as a child.
I don't really remember too much detail about the Major's past, besides the accident and
(click to show/hide)
It was never really disclosed how much the procedure cost, and I don't think mention was made of her family's status either. Might have to watch the series again.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I would spoiler it but I'm on my phone.

You can just type the [spoiler][/spoiler] tags, you know.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up