THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Heroism as defined by members of the QC Cast:

Marten RIPPING OFF HIS SHIRT to try to save Emily!
Faye actually giving a customer a COMPLIMENT!
Dora ditching the Leather Pants!
Sven not trying to pick up a woman!
Steve NOT EATING CEREAL!
Pintsize tossing bricks at someone attacking his friends!
Pizza Girl getting your Pepperoni with extra cheese to you in less than 30 minutes!
Hannelore performing first aid while SOBER!
May refusing to backhand some racist idiot into the middle of next week!
A poll without a QC meme!
Something Else!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2731-2735 (23-27 June 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 39360 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!

Marten and Sam are in deep trouble if they have to carry Emily out.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Blyss

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • I got skillz with the plastic motherfucker. SKILLZ
    • Gamers like games

My first thought was, "holy shit that thing has diamonds on its back."  I grew up in Oklahoma where western diamondbacks are pretty common.  I nearly stepped on one growing up, because it was hiding in the relatively short grass on our lawn.  The locale of the comic means that a western diamondback would be unlikely, but of course in the world of comics, nothing is impossible.

Also, Eastern Diamondbacks, though they are not typically spotted anywhere near that far north.
"Psychos?!  Did they look like psychos?  They were vampires!  Psychos DO NOT explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"  Seth Gecko

My blog

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Will Sam probably know what kind of snake it is? Maybe she's excited that it's rare?

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Samantha is obviously delighted to see the snake. This most likely means that either it is not dangerous or she does not recognize it. It could be either. She may be really interested in biology and know a lot about local wildlife. Or she may just think frogs and snakes are cool and not really know much about them. We have not seen her identify any of the animals she has captured.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

We have not seen [Sam] identify any of the animals she has captured.
Except for Froglord and Ceremonial Frog.

Oh wait, you meant identify their species?  My bad.  8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Emily - if ever you visit Australia - DON'T DO THAT. If you're lucky, it will be a friendly household carpet snake or diamond python, but even then, it's as bad as a rat bite. If unlucky, a death adder, brown snake, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Oh and Sam - any batrachian that size here is likely to be a Cane Toad. They secrete toxins from the glands on their backs. Do not handle with bare hands.

Neither Sam nor Emily would long survive Australia methinks - especially if they go out in the wilds. They'd pick up some lethally poisonous critter by mistake, going "hey what's that?" and their last hours would be filled with pain and misery.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

We have not seen her identify any of the animals she has captured.

Today's strip, panel 1: "I got a corn snake that was about three feet long once"

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Just to keep going on that thought... Remembering "you always call them 'Bitey'" makes me think Sam's had her share of ER visits and might know or have been taught poisonous vs non poisonous, even if she's not a budding precocious herpetologist.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Samantha is boasting.

Has Sam ever been referred to as Samantha in the comic?
Yep.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Emily

As far as Snakes go, she's the Chuck Norris of the QCverse.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist

Snakes, electric shocks, and bananas.

EDIT: Sound like a great name for a rock band...
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

A Cane Toad, and an Australian disregarding Zoë's wise advice about handling Cane Toads. All hail the Toadlord!

Whoo! That's a big friggin' toad!
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse

SuctionCup Caper Two

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • SUCTION CUPS UNITE

JEPH YOU BASTARD I JUST SNORTED MY OVER-PRICED BEVERAGE ALL OVER MY MONITOR.   :-D
MMM SUCTION CUPS

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

A Cane Toad, and an Australian disregarding Zoë's wise advice about handling Cane Toads. All hail the Toadlord!

Aye, they are, and I've never been to Oz.  But from what I heard, those things need to be exterminated.  Cats and dogs tend to die when they take a bite out of those things, and shooting them is a literal "hit or miss" prospect…  Not to mention most people who aren't farmers in Oz don't tend to have shooty-things.  The country is also over-run by camels, 'roos, rabbits, and emus.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Aye, they are, and I've never been to Oz.  But from what I heard, those things need to be exterminated.  Cats and dogs tend to die when they take a bite out of those things, and shooting them is a literal "hit or miss" prospect…  Not to mention most people who aren't farmers in Oz don't tend to have shooty-things.  The country is also over-run by camels, 'roos, rabbits, and emus.
A quick search and seems like cane toads are edible if you remove their skin and glands. So we can use humans as pest control against the pests you mentioned.  :-D

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker

Marten's face in that last panel: priceless.
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

judemorrigan

And here we have a sighting of the rare Decisive Martin in the wild...

(Yay!)
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2014, 19:45 by judemorrigan »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

And here we have a siting of the rare Decisive Martin in the wild...

(Yay!)
And Emily seems to be impressed.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

T

(Yay!)

I'm starting to imagine David Attenbotough describing this comic.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

I love corn snakes. We (my mother and I) have leopard geckos and crested geckos, so we know many people who have snakes as pet. And corn snakes are so incredibly cute!

And Marten's look in the last panel is really awesome.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

McFace

• Plantmonster
  • Myes rather!

(Yay!)

This just solidifies my theory that Emily is going to have a "Dora Moment" and come out with feelings for Marten at some point.

I'm really actually actively looking for more reasons to think this so feel free to ignore my thoughts.  :-P

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi

All I could think of is "did he just destroy the TEH shirt?"  I had to go back a comic to make sure that wasn't what he was wearing.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

It's okay, he has more TEH shirts. They reproduce in his closet.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

T

It's okay, he has more TEH shirts. They reproduce in his closet.
And now we see. TEH shirt in Marten's closet. This shirt is not natural from this closet but once introduced decades ago it found no competition or predators and reproduced out of control taking away the habitat from other shirts.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Freaking Moto. Nice work Mark.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

The shirt did not die...in vain.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!

For the record, corn snakes don't have sharp teeth; their teeth are basically hard little nubs that they use to hold their food to guide into their mouths.  (They eat mice, which they swallow whole)  A bite from a corn snake wouldn't draw blood as shown in the comic.

I love corn snakes. We (my mother and I) have leopard geckos and crested geckos, so we know many people who have snakes as pet. And corn snakes are so incredibly cute!

Ah!  I was starting to think I was the only snake-lover here!  :D

For anyone else who doubts the cuteness of snakes, here's another picture of Diamond, taken after I gave him a tissue box for a bed:  :)

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b504/Tormuse/IMG592_zpsb2ee3c34.jpg

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Quote from: news post
RIP shirt
goddammit Jeph!!! 1111 :D

Also, I may or may not be envious of Marten's body build/metabolism.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've ever seen Loki. Oh right, I'm Facebook friends with him.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

The shirt did not die...in vain.

If it had been a TEH shirt, it still wouldn't have been its last appearance; he does have two of them. There was a montage a few months back (don't remember the strip number) where he was getting dressed to go to the party with Tai (I think), and was looking for something different to wear. Last panel was him wearing a TEH shirt and saying, "Wait, I have two of these?"

EDIT: Found it. http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2614
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

And the look on Marten's face in the last panel... priceless.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

KOK

What is a corn snake doing in a New England wood? According to Wikipedia, they live much further south. They are common pets, so this one might be an abandoned or escaped former pet.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I also worried it was a TEH shirt but I'd forgotten the colour and also that he has two (or three, depending whether you take the news post as canon).
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I love that they waited patiently for him to finish his heroic endeavours before telling him that the snake isn't venomous.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Doc

But the snake is in the trousers, why take off the shirt?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

KOK

edit: Comment withdrawn.
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2014, 01:08 by KOK »

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

Marten - pressure ON and AROUND the wound, not a tourniquet above it.

OK, if the ID is correct, not poisonous. But bleeding, it's a predator, and you never know what carrion it might have been chowing down on. So seek medical attention as you would from a rat bite. Clean with soap and water beforehand if you can.

Snakes, in my limited experience, while genius-level compared to frogs (which are less intelligent than most kitchen appliances - in this universe, not the QC one), are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. They are, however, affectionate, and like wrapping themselves round any convenient warm object when it's cold. Arms are ideal. It helps them regulate their temperature. I'm told that having a carpet snake in the house is a good alternative to having a cat when it comes to keeping the place rodent-free.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Considering that I've even had fish that demonstrated something approximating affection, I'm pretty sure that snakes can make good pets.  In fact that one time a dude in a Live-Action game came in once with 9 baby pythons crawling through his (upper-body, keep your minds out of the gutter, people) his clothes and they were just hanging out there for warmth.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

That was my first thought too. We probably attended similar first-aid lessons.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

People see tourniquets in movies, not realising that it's largely for limbs that are already going/gone.

Rufus Gorgonzola

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I also wondered. Maybe he tries to apply a tourniquet to stop the blood flow? That would have been a good idea if the snake was in fact poisonous, unfortunately humans have two bones in the lower arm …

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Wikipedia explains that an elastic bandage is better than a tourniquet, and that many cases unnecessary amputation have been the result of a tourniquet applied for too long, leading to gangrene and necrosis.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Snakes, in my limited experience, while genius-level compared to frogs (which are less intelligent than most kitchen appliances - in this universe, not the QC one), are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. They are, however, affectionate, and like wrapping themselves round any convenient warm object when it's cold. Arms are ideal. It helps them regulate their temperature. I'm told that having a carpet snake in the house is a good alternative to having a cat when it comes to keeping the place rodent-free.

Is that really affection though? You're warm and it seems you haven't tried to eat them yet, so they don't bite you. It kinda reminds me of falconry. It's not so much that your raptor likes you as it's handler. You're just a stable source of food and shelter and even that's a bit above a snake's intellectual level.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76379182@N04/10281413443

A small python probably would be an effective pest control solution, and the amusing jokes about a "domestic" carpet snake on one's carpet have amusing potential though I can see problems with just letting the snake run loose which would be ideal to eliminate the rodents.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I had a flashback to Galaxy Quest when I read today's comic. "Well, I see you managed to get your shirt off!"
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

additionally; if i'm not mistaken, when a tourniquet is applied it needs to be above the elbow. tying off below the elbow does not stop blood flowing through the flesh between the radius and the ulna. of course, that's if you are already committed to losing the limb anyway.

still, misinformed or not, that's more of a man-of-action response than i'd have ever expected from marten. so good for hiim.

hopefully someone'll set him straight before he ever needs to treat a real injury.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

I had a flashback to Galaxy Quest when I read today's comic. "Well, I see you managed to get your shirt off!"
"Welp, there goes his shirt."

Now, whilst we're thinking about Galaxy Quest, imagine this comic as narrated Alan Rickman.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Just want to add that 'Can you fashion some kind of rudimentary lathe?' is probably my favourite line in the history of cinema.

maneyan

• Plantmonster

Damn, hero moment for Marten indeed. While yes, it wasn't maybe exactly how you're meant to do it, but let's face it, that showed Marten's measure, more than almost anything else could have. *salutes Mr Reed*

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

[tweet]481272893255733248[/tweet]
[tweet]481416915630698496[/tweet]
[tweet]481452819497885696[/tweet]
[tweet]481452744965107712[/tweet]
[tweet]481453402577448960[/tweet]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up