What's in store this week?

Faye is friendly to customers!
Sven is serene and sensible!
Marten is mean business!
Angus is eaten by an allosaur!
Purple Monkey Dishwasher is pink!
Sven is pregnant.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2741-2745 (07-11 July 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 77217 times)

LocoJoe

• Emoticontraindication

Oh man, the next few weeks are going to be good.
"No one's going to draw you a map. You gotta walk your own path."

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker

flashback to the whole padma/elliot thing: "just tell her"
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Run, Sven!  Run!

Someone really needs to get Marten on the red Martenphone to deal with this situation.  Too bad there isn't such a thing as a red Martenphone.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Run, Sven!  Run!

Someone really needs to get Marten on the red Martenphone to deal with this situation.  Too bad there isn't such a thing as a red Martenphone.

For some reason, "red Martenphone" sounds like it should be a relative to the wren or the titmouse.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!

Aww geez, Sven...  You really don't realize that that is a horrible bombshell to a woman who's moved on and fallen in love with another dude??

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Only if she's vulnerable.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Aww geez, Sven...  You really don't realize that that is a horrible bombshell to a woman who's moved on and fallen in love with another dude??

It's Sven.  He sometimes has troubles seeing past his own ego.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Wow, Sven.  Wow.

For the longest time he was the Don Juan of the comic.  Completely irresistible to women for his mastery of charming indifference to them.  I guess it really only takes one?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Sven.... no. Just no. Bad Sven. Bad!  :facepalm:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

It just still leaves me scratching my head, but I'm a pretty logical person.  If I break up with you, its usually for a concrete reason.  My best guess is Sven never had anybody be the one to break it off with him.  Mostly its just unclear to me why Faye is 'the one'.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

*reads comic*

*goes to WCDT for the first time in forever*

"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

It's Sven.  He sometimes has troubles seeing past his own ego.

I think you mean always in there...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

It could be as simple as she's the one who first made him question his sex-crazed womanizing ways. He mistook his new found desires to be with one person for being in love with Faye.

Or maybe he things Faye really is the one for him. Who knows. Infatuation is funny like that.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

TOTALLY CALLED IT.
Yes. But is it cool to confess his love to someone who is in a relationship? Instead, he could have said something like:
I wish things had been different. I want you to know that I regret deeply what happened. I miss you very much.

Calm down. He is not used to this thing called love and is still trying to get the hang of things.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Mostly its just unclear to me why Faye is 'the one'.

It's probably unclear to him as well, but I can't help but point out that there is a pretty fair chasm between "in love with you" and "you're the one."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

Mostly its just unclear to me why Faye is 'the one'.

It's probably unclear to him as well, but I can't help but point out that there is a pretty fair chasm between "in love with you" and "you're the one."
\\
Well, he's chasing her down at work and protesting his love to her, when he probably knows she's in a relationship.  I mean, its been YEARS since I felt like anybody was 'the one', or felt strongly enough that I'd pull that stunt.  So I'm just a little mystified. Because to me, Faye's one of those girls you DON'T get in a relationship with.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi

Run, Sven!  Run!

For some reason, "red Martenphone" sounds like it should be a relative to the wren or the titmouse.

Red Martenphone is my Arcade Fire cover band.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

He is not used to this thing called love
"What is this emotion you humans call 'wuv'?"
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Because to me, Faye's one of those girls you DON'T get in a relationship with.
I genuinely don't know what you mean by this.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

People are so shocked over Sven's revelation that they're posting in the wrong WCDT!  :psyduck:

Moderator Comment (sorted)
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2014, 00:59 by pwhodges »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

He is not used to this thing called love
"What is this emotion you humans call 'wuv'?"
THIS CONCEPT OF 'WUV' CONFUSES AND INFURIATES US.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier

God, Sven. Such a Mosby move.

Am I the only one who thinks he might be trying to start the conversation off by saying that just to get a reaction out of her before bringing the ACTUAL issue up?

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I hope that this comic gives Sven and Faye a way to patch things up between them... and then Sven can become a regular member of the comic. I really enjoy Sven as a character and I would like to see more of him.

I also want to see him jam with deathmole!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

omg that would be so kawaii :3
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Pro-tip, Sven:

If you think you love someone, keep your trap shut; tell them when you know.

Loki

• comeback tour!

For some people, "I think" is just a roundabout way of saying "I know". Also, it may make it easier to deal with if the other person declines your advances.

foolsguinea

NO. NO.

No to Sven, no to Jeph, just no.

AAAH!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Murder him, Faye ! Murder him dead !!! :evil:

I would never have guessed that Jeph would go for such a direct route. Of all the possible explanations why Sven would want to talk to Faye, this was the most obvious one. Then again, maybe thats why it wasnt really that obvious in the end. Really, I wouldnt have expected this ! And with this intro - "nooo its not a bombsheel" - yeah, right ! - the effect is maxed.

I hope that this comic gives Sven and Faye a way to patch things up between them... and then Sven can become a regular member of the comic. I really enjoy Sven as a character and I would like to see more of him.

I also want to see him jam with deathmole!
Highly unlikely.

Also, then I want to at least have a Raven relationship, too ! Then again, Raven in a relationship ? Damn you imagination, I found an end of you !

They make Ted Mosby into a verb now ? Isnt that tv show over now ?

Remember when we had a lot of speculation that Fangus moving to New York was a way to take Fay out of QC?
Actually no, I must have completely missed that discussion. I find the idea very absurd, too. Faye is after all one of the most important characters with a LOT of story under her sleeve.

I dont think Marten, Faye, Hanners or Dora will ever be removed from this comic. They have been with us since the start, I think they will stay with us now.

No relationship is 'safe' in QC.
For the record, neither is any in reallife. Thats why its perfectly OK they arent safe in QC, either.

D'aww, Sven! Oh noes, Faye and Angus!
"D'awww" ??????????????????????????

He is most highly insensitive in that scene.

"D'awww" is about the least reaction I would get here.

I'm so conflicted about this!!
Me too !!!

Should she use the broadsword since there is one close by, or is an axe just too mandatory for axemurdering ?

I just dont know !!!!!

Yes. But is it cool to confess his love to someone who is in a relationship? Instead, he could have said something like:
I wish things had been different. I want you to know that I regret deeply what happened. I miss you very much.
That would have been a sensible way to say it.

Also, even I have to admit that this doesnt sound like Sven at all.

TOTALLY CALLED IT.
Why, congrats to you !

Wuv! Twue wuv!  :roll:
:?

Carpe Diem

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

And with this intro - "nooo its not a bombsheel" - yeah, right ! - the effect is maxed.

He did not say that it was not a bombshell.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Wuv! Twue wuv!  :roll:
:?
It is a recurring theme in the movie "Princess Bride", which I do recommend.
Ironically, the only excerpt I can find on Youtube is where it is mentioned in the context of a forced marriage: http:// youtu.be/_bY0fdgpISc

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Nicely written. It has done what I thought was impossible, made me sympathise with Faye.

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

This comic made me laugh (out loud!) Faye's reaction being exactly what I would be thinking, and Sven being soooo inappropriate. I always kind of liked Sven, and hope this can go somewhere interesting/not horribly dramatic.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

That complicates things. I've known one 3-person marriage that works, and a lot more less formal relationships that didn't.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Calm down. He is not used to this thing called love and is still trying to get the hang of things.
I guess you are right. According to Dora, he has never been in a serious relationship. He is just a Quantum Jerk that gets all the hot chicks without really trying.

Sven accidentally hit Faye with his Come Hither look. That was when the Sven/Faye affair really started. According to Faye's theory, Sven has a evil, sexy cockatrice gaze. The problem for Sven is that it has backfired.

Indicible

• Jaegermonster impersonator

I like how Sven did not deny this was a bombshell. He simply said it was not horrible (which is kinda true).

I dont think Marten, Faye, Hanners or Dora will ever be removed from this comic. They have been with us since the start, I think they will stay with us now.

Imagine that: Faye snaps, murders Sven. Dora has to be a witness against her dear friend. After the conviction, she breaks up with Tai and enters a convent to reflect on the fortunes of the world. Heartbroken Marten finds comfort in the arms of Padma, only to decide this is all for naught and goes on a road trip to find himself. Hanners, having lost her friends, goes back to space, transfers her brain into Station's matrix and lives happily until reentry with it. Padma replaces Dora at CoD as a tribute to Marten. Raven, embittered by all the drama becomes a snarky CoD Abby Sciuto. Pintsize, out of control since Marten left levels the city in a robotic tentacled monstruosity. Hentai ensues. The end.
Signature OF DOOM!

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I guess you are right. According to Dora, he has never been in a serious relationship. He is just a Quantum Jerk that gets all the hot chicks without really trying.

Define "not really trying."

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Define "not really trying."
Sven gave us a lot of insight into his mindset in a dialog he had with Faye early in the series. Basically, he could get more chicks than he could handle, and therefore he had to prioritize. He used to prefer blondes, but that was before he encountered Faye's assets.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

This could be very bad - for Faye's liver.

Between this mess and her concern over Angus possibly leaving, she now has more than sufficient "reason" to start hitting the bottle again. Hard. This will of course do wonders for her job performance , possibly leading to a demotion if she's lucky, and being fired if she's not.

Remember she got drunk just over the suggestion that Angus might get a new job that required him to move away. With all this going on, she may go on a bender. Perhaps right after she's punched Sven through CoD's window.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

*reads comic*

*goes to WCDT for the first time in forever*

What iduguphergrave said.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Indeed. Angus will not be pleased if Faye hits the bottle again; possibly leading directly to a breakup. Faye will then drink even more, but may eventually be rescued by Sven. In that case, is Sven an A-hole for causing this to happen? Or is he the white prince that rescues her, and they will live happily ever after?

I really hope Faye's alcoholism will not resurface, but I am afraid this will happen. However, I hope her friends (Marten and Hannelore in particular) will be able to help and support her.

EDIT: I found the Chernobylore strip, where Hanners went critical to help Faye. I guess we need more of those moments.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I don't know why people are so upset about Sven being honest about his feelings and calling him insensitive - like what he did was a bad thing.
I don't think it is, as long as he doesn't do it to - as someone earlier accurately put it - make Faye responsible for his feelings and put pressure on her to do something about it.
Sure, it comes at a very unfortunate time for Faye, but Sven could not know that. If Faye and Angus were a happy couple right now, would you still say that it's bad and inconsiderate? At such a time, Faye might easily tell him sorry, nice that he told her, but she's over it, and everyone (in the forum I mean) would laugh about it and be sympathetic with Sven.
(Did people think it insensitive when Elliot did it? I don't think so, and that was a similar situation. I think if Sven's intent is the same as Elliot's - namely, getting it off his chest, but not expecting anything in return - it's really perfectly fine.)

I actually like Sven this way. This is one of the few times we've actually seen him show real feelings in the comic! (And probably the first time he is so vulnerable emotionally.) Of course being unhappily in love sucks (there is no way I can see this end with Faye and Sven getting together anytime soon - and I think Sven doesn't expect that either), but this whole episode has evidently already made him think a lot about himself and will probably lead to him being happier in the long run.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

On the one hand I agree that it's good that Sven is expressing emotions and genuinely feeling something other than lust. However, I also think it's unfair of him to place that on Faye. What is he hoping to achieve? He knows that Faye is with Angus. Will telling her how he feels actually help him? I feel like the only reason you'd share that with someone is in the hope that they will feel the same and start a relationship with you.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Indeed. Angus will not be pleased if Faye hits the bottle again; possibly leading directly to a breakup. Faye will then drink even more, but may eventually be rescued by Sven.

EDIT: I found the Chernobylore strip, where Hanners went critical to help Faye. I guess we need more of those moments.

Yep, the strip you linked is another reminder that Faye tends to turn to strong cheap liquor in times of stress, and this situation definitely qualifies. And you're right, Angus will not be happy in that case, and the resulting fight may end their relationship. However let's be clear, the resulting breakup won't have been Sven's fault then, it will have been Faye's fault for using a bad coping mechanism. Hard drinkers can be very difficult for light or non-drinkers to live with, after all.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

On the one hand I agree that it's good that Sven is expressing emotions and genuinely feeling something other than lust. However, I also think it's unfair of him to place that on Faye. What is he hoping to achieve? He knows that Faye is with Angus. Will telling her how he feels actually help him? I feel like the only reason you'd share that with someone is in the hope that they will feel the same and start a relationship with you.
Hmm, I don't know. Probably most of the time that's the case, yes. But you could also just do it to get it off your chest, right? Like Elliot did. I think a lot of people do feel better if they just say it out loud; even if they are rejected. As I said, it turns bad precisely when the person confessing their feelings expects the other person to do something about it; then it pressures the other person and makes them feel bad. We'll see if that's what Sven does or not (I could imagine it happening; and then you would be right: He would be acting selfishly again).
I do think that it is always slightly awkward having someone tell you they're in love with you when you aren't. But nobody should have to hide their feelings because of that as long as they understand that telling someone you are in love with them does absolutely not make the other person responsible for your feelings and that they're likely to get a rejection and have to live with it.

Again: In this situation it is deeply uncomfortable for Faye, because the timing is so unfortunate. But this is not Sven's fault. He does not know anything about what is going on with Angus.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Sven has always got what he wanted. The Faye situation is new to him, and he has problems adapting. Moreover, Faye is the first girl he has ever fallen in love with. All the others were just casual flings. He is the classic man-whore, who now wants to change his ways.

He does know Faye is in a relationship, but is probably ignorant to the conflicts this could cause. He just wants Faye back. Maybe he is insensitive or egoistical, but not inherently evil.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Sven reminds me of myself in a similar but distinct situation with the relevant advice that was given to me then.

Wimblesaurus

• Not quite a lurker

Am I the only one who thinks he might be trying to start the conversation off by saying that just to get a reaction out of her before bringing the ACTUAL issue up?

Nope.  It's plausible.  Not all that likely, but plausible.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Sven reminds me of myself in a similar but distinct situation with the relevant advice that was given to me then.

I don't think these situations are comparable. Sven's feelings are current. Saying it out loud, getting rejected, and then taking some time to heal might be the better choice with this. Otherwise one might harbour these feelings for far too long without achieving anything, with the inevitable rejection coming later anyways. Sometimes one just needs to hear the other person speak the words, because the subconsciousness won't accept it otherwise.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Wow! This bombshell came right out of left field. I had forgotten Sven.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up