THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What would you love to see as a "blooper reel" QC comic?

Dora belching during one of her lines.
- 3 (4.5%)
Hannelore picking her nose when she thinks the camera's not on her.
- 18 (26.9%)
Faye getting on a laughing jag.
- 3 (4.5%)
Marten breaking into a rendition of "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'"
- 18 (26.9%)
Pintsize quoting Shakespeare
- 5 (7.5%)
Emily suddenly being very serious
- 18 (26.9%)
Claire's voice suddenly changing mid-line.
- 1 (1.5%)
Other (please state)
- 1 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2751-2755 (21-25 July 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread (DYW!)  (Read 35979 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

I don't think bonding rituals are about to occur here.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Affairs of the heart make fools of us all - unknown.
True, but doesnt apply here.

Sven behaves like a fool because he is a fool. Not because he is in love.
Carpe Diem

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

In my experience people don't do the "first of all" construction with lists of only two items. I choose to believe that he stopped himself from adding the final point: "You're the jerk."

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

i'm immensely confused by this development.

not the plot point that Sven is in love with Faye, i saw that coming a mile off - she was never his type, she intellectually challenged him, he seemed to actually respect her, etc. etc.

it's more the fact that Sven, an established intelligent man, who can read people very well, as explained by the Fake Date With Hannelore.. is being so blind.

i don't understand how a character goes from this astute, socially knowledgable wise guy, to.. "well that's how it is in romantic comedies durrr".

i'm sitting here like  :psyduck: did Sven take a good dose of the incredibly-oblivious-pills today?
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

This worded what I meant in my earlier post in a much better way. I agree.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

It is very difficult to ascertain the veracity of quotes found on the internet - Abraham Lincoln
"Who are you and how did you get into my house?" -- Mark Twain
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Was Steve referring to Delilah or an on-screen conversation about Emily? I find the latter unlikely unless Jeph wants to bury that storyline.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

not the plot point that Sven is in love with Faye, i saw that coming a mile off - she was never his type, she intellectually challenged him, he seemed to actually respect her, etc. etc.

it's more the fact that Sven, an established intelligent man, who can read people very well, as explained by the Fake Date With Hannelore.. is being so blind.

i don't understand how a character goes from this astute, socially knowledgable wise guy, to.. "well that's how it is in romantic comedies durrr".

i'm sitting here like  :psyduck: did Sven take a good dose of the incredibly-oblivious-pills today?

He botched a roll. Happens to all of us sooner or latter.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Being able to read others and being able to read yourself are two totally different skill sets, in much the same way that there's a fair amount of difference between intellectual and emotional intelligence. I know plenty of people who can read others like a book but who are all but opaque to themselves; similarly, I know people who are geniuses when it comes to book smarts, but complete dolts when it comes to emotions, especially other people's. On that note, Sven's book smart and heart stupid, and while he's capable of reading a situation for financial, social or sexual gain, he's otherwise shown himself to be pretty clueless. The only potential positive, at least given how this storyline is shaping up now, is that he might be tiptoeing to the edge of realizing that he has a problem. Maybe.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

toffee-skye

• Emoticontraindication
  • cryborg

i take no issue with the fact he's struggling to read himself, it just struck me as bizarre that this guy who is a self identified dirtbag is suddenly relying on romantic comedy tropes.
i don't know, i probably sound like a snob, but it just seems like.. there's not understanding your own feelings, and then there's "but it has to work, it's like that in movies!!!"

it's probably what you guys are all saying (and i'm unromantic) but i'm not buying that being in love or confused about love-like feelings has apparently stripped Sven of all kinds of sense.
having hope that the girl you like will drop everything for you? been there, seen that, know it's hella common, sadly. actually expecting her to do it? seems to cross a boundary.
my name is Anna and i like people, places, and things.
current MRes student and serial timewaster

Smallest

• Curry sauce

I didn't get the impression that Sven was acting manipulative, more that he wanted something and expected it to be handed to him. After the 'date' he had with Hanners, I find his approach with Faye at the very least a character regression.

Yeah, I read it less as 'I'll make Faye think Angus is bad and I'll save her and trick her into liking me muwahaha!' and more 'but that's how it ALWAYS works, isn't she supposed to like me now?' which while dumb is not manipulative.

And he is supposed to be smart. Even if he doesn't have much of a sense with actual relationships (as evidenced), being able to write songs and play music is a skill, even if they're terrible (especially since they're consistently terrible- it's not like he's failing at writing 'serious' music), breezed through school which, while showing lack of effort, shows intelligence of some kind and that he must absorb information fairly well, and he has been decent at reading both Faye and Hannelore (and probably Dora and others that I'm not specifically thinking of) in the past. So while his kind of assholey, very romantically inept behaviour is explained, the very degree of it in this last comic seems really off.

Of course, shitty emotional intelligence that isn't just being joked about or off screen, apart from fleeing Genevieve, is displayed when Marten is trying to talk to him about Dora (after the underwear thing, which I can't find a link to on the wiki). But only at first, then it gets a bit more human and he talks about Dora's previous guys.

Blood-Tree

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Must have tree blood!!!

I totally agree that the whole thing is really suspiciously out of character.

Sven hasn't appeared in quite a while - are we completely sure that this is actually the same Sven as before and not a simulacra? Could it be a robotic or biologic counterfeit?

Personally, I preferred Sven-Prime. He was true blue.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Sven hasn't appeared in quite a while - are we completely sure that this is actually the same Sven as before and not a simulacra? Could it be a robotic or biologic counterfeit?
I don't know, does he go to the bathroom?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

Hmmm, Sven seems a little more sociopathic than usual...
Well let's see how this turns out.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

But not today, because May is back. And don't call her a robot.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Would it make me a pedant to point out she's a gynoid?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

T

Why their shirts are almost matching? Is may wearing pants?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

They're wearing black t-shirts, it's not that strange that they both have them. And as for the second...maybe? As for Sven yesterday, apparently Sven is the only one who knows he's in a work of fiction...he's just got the genre wrong (slice-of-life, not romcom), and he also doesn't realize he's not the protagonist.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Is an android protesting that she's not a robot being...racist?  Or just elitist? 

And I have a pedant I like, it's quite lovely.  I gave it to my wife, she keeps it on a chain...   :angel:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheEvilDog

No, but it does mean you ninja'd me because I was going to post the exact same thing.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I guess the gender neutral term would be "anthropoid", right?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

Is an android protesting that she's not a robot being...racist?  Or just elitist? 

I was wondering the same thing.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I guess the gender neutral term would be "anthropoid", right?

Aside from reading that as "arthropod" for a moment, the "an" in android is from the same root as anthro-.  It's the implicit male used for the general term again. 

Not sure there is a gender neutral term for this, except maybe ... robot   :psyduck:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

T

And I have a pedant I like, it's quite lovely.  I gave it to my wife, she keeps it on a chain...   :angel:
Probably like calling a person an animal. We are animals. But people see it as something negative.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Well no, "anthropos" just means human, "andros" means specifically male.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SuctionCup Caper Two

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • SUCTION CUPS UNITE

No, but it does mean you ninja'd me because I was going to post the exact same thing.

And that's three of us.   :-D
MMM SUCTION CUPS

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Probably like calling a person an animal. We are animals. But people see it as something negative.

As the aliens from "World's End" will be quick to remind you, "robot means slave."

(...except it doesn't quite mean that, but never mind.  The robots from the play that gave us the word were slaves, so we'll go with that.  Except they weren't mechanical, but homnculi, but again never mind.)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

T

In the modern world the word robot doesn't means a homunculus.

From the Oxford dictionary: A machine capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically, especially one programmable by a computer.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I was wondering the same thing.
May may just not like that term, finding it dated and possibly offfensive.   Momo has referred to herself as a robot on a few occasions.  Just as with any other minority, it probably just makes sense to use the term that particular AI prefers, rather than assume that they all use the same one.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2014, 23:23 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

The real truth is May is a Boomer.  Professor Stingray is probably a major rival of Hannelore's dad.  Now if he can just avoid being killed by Quincy and Brian Mason....

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

Knowing how to play the game is very different from knowing how to live the life.

Sven's very sharp when it comes to working with non-hostile audiences. He's good at charming and sly and lusty.

Those things mean jack when your audience is hostile and doesn't give a crap how charming you can be.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Salty

• Plantmonster
  • The Lyingest Liar

Fuck, that's what I was going to say!

I can't believe I've been out-pedanted.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

It was just Jeph trolling the pedants in this forum.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Pedantic.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

The real truth is May is a Boomer.  Professor Stingray is probably a major rival of Hannelore's dad.  Now if he can just avoid being killed by Quincy and Brian Mason....

But what if she was one of them Sexaroids....?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

Knowing how to play the game is very different from knowing how to live the life.

Sven's very sharp when it comes to working with non-hostile audiences. He's good at charming and sly and lusty.

Those things mean jack when your audience is hostile and doesn't give a crap how charming you can be.

That's all very well, and explains what we've already seen and understood - that he fared poorly trying to charm Faye.
It still doesn't explain why he would actually say "well that's how it is in romantic comedies durrr" out loud.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I really could not give any fewer fucks about what happens to May.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

Fuck, that's what I was going to say!

I can't believe I've been out-pedanted.
i also came to the forum specifically to point that out.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

She is not the droid you're looking for... Move along...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference

Jeph skipped about six numbers to get back in line with...our numbering, I suppose.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

So, uh, you don't like May? Just a feeling I've been getting recently.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I may have beaten that dead horse a bit, apologies.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

I can't believe Gareth hates May. Honestly, it was such a surprise.
(click to show/hide)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

This.  Its as if somebody had the bright idea of giving urethral swabs until somehow they started being enjoyable.  As far as the robot/android thing, they mean the same thing, she's just seizing on the closest available point to be difficult about.  Its what unpleasant people do.

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

Presumably in the QC verse there are still plenty of  factory, mechanical-arm, style industrial robots with just enough smarts to do the kind of routine assembly jobs that both humans and AIs would find tedious and repetitive.  It's likely they're a bit more advanced and can do repetitive jobs that are are nevertheless a  bit beyond our universe's robots. Cleaning hotel rooms for example.

In that case, May's comment makes perfect sense. I can imagine an AI might be quite insulted to be called a robot.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

This.  Its as if somebody had the bright idea of giving urethral swabs until somehow they started being enjoyable.  As far as the robot/android thing, they mean the same thing, she's just seizing on the closest available point to be difficult about.  Its what unpleasant people do.

I don't agree on your terminology semantics point, because I suspect Jeph largely is using the AI/robot thing as an allegory.

Also, I once semi-enjoyed a urethral swab.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

We understand your diss-May.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

We understand your diss-May.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

The comic is now relevant to my interests again, I really hate Sven.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

And why's that, sah?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up