THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 11:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What now?

Faye is outsnarked by May (Cue Faye wielding The Stopsign of Doom)
Marten is attracted to May (Weirder things have happened)
Cosette trips with a full Caraffe into May - Sparks ensue
Dora hires May and replaces everyone else with her
Dale opens a Popcorn Consession in CoD
Spathe Ham with Waffles and Spathe Eggs
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Hanners and May start the Robot Wars
Hanners and May become friends (Oh God, Oh God)
Whatever Jeph does, it'll be unexpected

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2756-2760 (28 July-1 August 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 47325 times)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

What.

Also, this strip shoots down two ships, one of which I was not on board with (for the same reasons as Marten portrays in this strip), one of which I was.

DFTBA

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Yeah, really dissapointed that Gabby and Marten apparently won't be happening :)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

...this is in Marten's head, right?  I'm honestly not sure.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Nobody knows. Least of all Marten.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Chelicerate

• Furry furrier

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

What.

Also, this strip shoots down two ships, one of which I was not on board with (for the same reasons as Marten portrays in this strip), one of which I was.

He brings up the intern thing a lot. I think it'd hold more water if the interns weren't pretty much unofficially higher up the totem pole then he is. Marten does not wield the power in the library. He can't coerce interns to sleep with him and they can't try and get special treatment dating him. There's no real ethical conflict there.

So each time he says it it does feel more like backing down on Claire or sinking the ship or whatever than a legitimate thing, even if that isn't the case.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

If only Marten had a snake* to eat the mice.

*no, not that kind, you preverts.  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Janet_Yellens_yellin

• Not quite a lurker

I think one important thing to notice here is that Marten gave reasons why he shouldn't be interested but never actually said that he wasn't, perhaps even redirecting the conversation when Hannelore brings it up. I'm not sure I see how "but imagine what she would be like if she had a crush on me" is a direct response to Hannelore's suggestion that he just tell Emily (or Hannelore? I was pretty sure it's meant to refer to Emily, but it could also be read as Hannelore) that he's not interested in Emily.

Nyithra

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

I suspect that Marten does like her, but isn't quite sure how to feel about it. And I'm not sure how to feel about this coupling either. I don't mind Emily but it seems like an odd match.
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

I suspect that Marten does like her, but isn't quite sure how to feel about it.

Really?

He sounds indiferent to me.  I mean, if I really liked a girl, the last thing I would think was "oh shit, well she's an intern so I guess I can't date her.  Oh well!"  I'd think, "just another obstacle...I WILL make this work".

But that's me, and not Marten, so yeah.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I was also wondering if it's in Marten's imagination or really happening. The first two panels are in his kitchen, though, at the last is in the library, so I assume it's his imagination.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Good catch.

Marten says: "Imagine what Emily would be like towards someone she has a crush on." Hannelore does just that. This is how I read it from the start. The change of scene has quite convinced me.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I was also wondering if it's in Marten's imagination or really happening. The first two panels are in his kitchen, though, at the last is in the library, so I assume it's his imagination.
It could be a scene skip

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Oh god.

She's peacocking
More like a nuptial plumage. We know Jeph likes birds.
I really hope this happens only in Hannelore's and/or Marten's imagination. Even for Emily, this would be a quantum jump in weirdness. What is missing, is a visual clue, something like the drunk bubbles, but the drawing style suggests this is really happening. Perhaps Jeph just wants us to be confused?
I want the last panel to be real...please let it be real...
:parrot: Please let it be unreal...please!

There seems to be a discontinuity somewhere, we are missing a Steve/Marten conversation prior to #2752, where Steve complains about Marten. The same conversation is referred to in today's strip. I guess a guest strip replaced the missing strip.

Of course, we can imagine the conversation taking place off-strip. I guess it would be something like this:

Marten: "I think Emily has a crush on me."
Steve: "Good for you! Now, go for it!"
Marten: "I am not sure. It would be unethical to date an intern."
Steve (gibbs-smacking Marten): "I wanted to do a high-five, but I guess this will have to do."

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

What.

Wait wait, two ships with interns? How?

Good catch.

Marten says: "Imagine what Emily would be like towards someone she has a crush on." Hannelore does just that. This is how I read it from the start. The change of scene has quite convinced me.

I don't think this is the case. The smash cut to the scene could be either one of them.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Yeah, I'm going with that as well for now. We'll see tomorrow.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I love the idea that Emily is weird enough that everyone believes that the last panel could be true, whether it really happened or is just Marten's imagination. I'm kind of enjoying not knowing.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

Remember the fairy when Hanners and Marten were looking for a coffee shop?  If that was real, so could this be...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

Mice? Emily, my girl, you cannot expect to take your place in the clan until you at least bring home a squirrel...

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I love the idea that Emily is weird enough that everyone believes that the last panel could be true, whether it really happened or is just Marten's imagination. I'm kind of enjoying not knowing.
Quite enjoyable, yes.

I took it as Marten's implication.  Sure, it could be Hanners' imagination.  The only thing that makes me think it didn't really happen, is that it would leve Jeph unable to further tease his audience with this will-they-or-won't-they schtick.  8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Oh come on, have faith. Marten is wishy-washy enough to stammer out some excuse that would leave things in question. Or just flee the scene in confusion and panic. And Emily is oblivious enough to not get anything short of a firm, direct no. The not dating them because they are interns really doesn't hold water though. He really is just an office bitch for the library.  The reason he was hired and has so much responsibility is because Tai has free run of the place so long as there aren't problems, and she would rather get high and watch Adventure Time. Marten really isn't any higher on the totem pole than the interns, it's just that he gets paid, and they may not. Just doing it for work credits. I can see him not wanting to date a co-worker because if it doesn't work out it would be awkwardness... but it seems more that he says that because it's expected. I mean look at the awkward that happened when he and Dora dated, then broke up. You could see that potential a mile away, and it was much worse than dating one of the interns would be.

Omio

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • ... ... ...

Emily, you're goin' way off the radar this time. I'm suspecting either Marten's imagining the scenario, Hanners is imagining the scenario, or we're getting trolled hard in some other way by Jeph. Again.
...Trying to meta on Tetris is impossible, I swear.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

One thing to remember is that internships are typically short-term. In their first appearance they were described as "summer interns". That was a couple of years ago, real-time. How much longer can Northampton's endless summer last? Yeah, I know, comic time, so as long as Jeph wants. But if Jeph decides he wants things to move in that direction, the resolution is simple: summer ends, the internships end, and any potential ethical problems vanish.

Or, you know, Marten could get some ambition and get a better job. But let's not expect miracles here.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuur?  :psyduck:

I imagine Emily went tribal for mice hunting? When I saw all the color, I first thought, dear lord, she's gone Peacock for Marten.  :-o

Nothing like a good easter egg mice basket to show love.  You can keep them as pets. Experiment on them. Feed them to cats. Mice stew.

Accept them, Marten, and you are trapped-buddy boy. In Emily's world, the exchange of mice could mean intentions of marriage.

Seriously, maybe Marten needs some weirdness to his dating life.  Emily might be just the right medicine for his passivity disease.

And really, intern schmintern. They are summer employees of legal age and you aren't even technically working for the library.

Besides, it's not like you hold power Marten. Oh bless you, but you don't and no one would give it to you.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Or, you know, Marten could get some ambition and get a better job. But let's not expect miracles here.
In QC, miracles can and should happen. Marten currently has a low-pressure job, with a cool boss, nice interns, and lots of hot SMIF students to ogle. But there are no career opportunities, and the income is probably very low (although in QC, economic laws seem to work differently). He has a decent apartment, and can afford to drink beer. The only economic pinch we have seen, is how he could afford to buy a new guitar.

Otherwise, he lives a frugal lifestyle, and seems quite happy with that. He gets free coffee at CoD (at least he did while dating Dora, he was worried about having to buy coffee at TSB after breaking up with Dora). He doesn't travel (probably he has not been back to California after he followed Vicky to the East coast). He has been to SPACE, but that was a free ride. Also, he attended his father's wedding in Vermont, but that was because he had to. He does not own (and does not need) a car. He has not a huge wardrobe (but seems happy with his collection of "TEH" shirts, a GYBE shirt, and a couple of others).

Still, he really should have higher ambitions. The library job will probably not be forever. Currently, Tai protects him, but what if she finds another job? Marten is not qualified for her job, and when someone finds out non-paid interns can do the job just as well, he will be fired.

The library job makes me quite depressed, really. I really hope Marten finds a better job.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

How do we know the interns aren't paid? (Is it stated in a comic I forgot about?)

Madmartigan

• Curry sauce

How do we know the interns aren't paid? (Is it stated in a comic I forgot about?)

Because internships are slave labor, bruh.  I thought every college student/grad learned that lesson.  :cry:

The library job makes me quite depressed, really. I really hope Marten finds a better job.

Jeez, man. I didn't need to be depressed today with a reminder of how sad Marten's life can be when you look at it that way.  Really though, the dude just doesn't have much ambition.  Granted, other things have happened, but when was the last time Marten jammed out with his "band?"

At any rate, maybe Emily is so damned weird and just...out there, that her weirdness supreme could be a positive influence.  Granted, everyone in the QC land is a bit...odd, but Emily takes the cake and that's saying something.

---

Looking at it again, Marten doesn't even really acknowledge Hanner's thoughts on just telling Emily he's not interested.  He deflects with an excuse that actually makes no sense.

Unless he's afraid of what Emily would do if he rejected her advances, in which case, if that imagined scenario in the last panel was Marten's....it'd be a frightening level of weird and creepy combined.
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2014, 07:32 by Madmartigan »

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

In physics at least, the REU (Research Experience for Undergrads) interns are better-paid than the grad students.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

It mostly depends on who you are interning for. When I did my electronic's internship I made sure to find a place that was willing to pay me for it. Mostly because I needed money to pay rent and such... In my case is was really more a three month minimum wage trial period where they made reports to my school about my performance. Then once I graduated I was moved up to paid test monkey with a degree and got like a 75 cent raise.

My case is fairly unusual though. Most interns are expected to work for free 'because of the experience'. Which is BS and slave labor because most people who take on interns know they can use and abuse them, because the system puts all the power in the businesses hands.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Why should he have higher ambitions? We've never heard him express a desire to do a particular job (not a realistic one anyway). All he really wants to do is play music, and a higher-pressure job would reduce his opportunity to do that, not increase it. Everything that he's said he wants to change about his life can be achieved as easily or more easily in his current job.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.

I'm not to proud to admit it.

I've never seen this method of wooing before.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Why should he have higher ambitions? We've never heard him express a desire to do a particular job (not a realistic one anyway). All he really wants to do is play music, and a higher-pressure job would reduce his opportunity to do that, not increase it. Everything that he's said he wants to change about his life can be achieved as easily or more easily in his current job.

You know, thank you for bringing up that concept. If you have work that's at least not unenjoyable and supports you and maybe yours and you do it well enough that the ones who pay you want to keep you around, who is anyone else to judge? I have a couple ambitions I want to fulfill but I am currently living a hell of a lot better than when I was making more money, had a title that looked like it ought to be impressive, and was donating at least 20 extra hours a week to mouthbreathers who were interested mainly in how much posterior I had kissed that day ... 
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten is not qualified for her job, and when someone finds out non-paid interns can do the job just as well, he will be fired.

He could always tactfully appeal to the trustees but I don't think his mind works that way.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Marten is not qualified for her job, and when someone finds out non-paid interns can do the job just as well, he will be fired.

He could always tactfully appeal to the trustees but I don't think his mind works that way.

Are there not a couple of trustees who see Marten's tactful silence as worth buying?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

What.

He brings up the intern thing a lot. I think it'd hold more water if the interns weren't pretty much unofficially higher up the totem pole then he is. Marten does not wield the power in the library. He can't coerce interns to sleep with him and they can't try and get special treatment dating him. There's no real ethical conflict there.

So each time he says it it does feel more like backing down on Claire or sinking the ship or whatever than a legitimate thing, even if that isn't the case.

He brings it up a lot for someone who isn't interested in any interns.

I really hope this is readl but on the other hand I think it's a little bizarre even for QC.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

That's what I was thinking. I worked a handful of jobs on-campus that were subsidized by my financial aid (including in the library).
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Arancaytar

• Curry sauce

Dude, you're an ADULT.

Missing any christmas presents you should have gotten as a child ?

THEN GO BUY THEM NOW !!!

(Duh)

(Keeping in mind he'd probably be able to afford a truckload of them.)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

I echo the sentiments of wondering if the last panel was meant to be imagination or not. Darn you, Jeph!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

Dude, you're an ADULT.

Missing any christmas presents you should have gotten as a child ?

THEN GO BUY THEM NOW !!!

(Duh)

(Keeping in mind he'd probably be able to afford a truckload of them.)

Maybe not: a lot of the old GI Joe toys go for silly prices at auction these days and the aircraft carrier set was one if the largest, rarest, and most expensive when new; I shudder to think what four decades of inflation and fanboy nostalgia have added to the price.
Just be thankful it's not part of the Original GI Joe line at least.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

There's one complete, in the box (although used) on eBay currently for $1999.99. Incomplete ones go for considerably less.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

That is actually less than I would have expected. I was thinking at least $5000.

anahata

• Never knowingly understood

That last panel: I've revisited the page several times today, and I'm now quite comfortable with the idea that it's Marten's imagination. It's too weird to be real even for Emily, and it's not quite the sort of thing Hanners would have dreamed up except in a nightmare.

(preparing to be shot down in flames by whatever's revealed in the next comic...)
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

HeavyP

• Woo!

I respect people's choices in life, but realistically, his situation is not tenable long term.  The points aren't really touched on in-comic, but we can extrapolate several things:

First, his job isn't secure.  As others have pointed out, he only got it because Tai offered it and he will likely only hold it as long as she's employed there.  It's questionable as to whether the library needs to pay someone to do what Marten does, or if interns/student workers/volunteers could do it just as well. 

Second, he has no room to advance.  He does not have a degree in Library Science or anything remotely related, and is, on paper, unqualified to do much of the running of the library.  There's no way he would ever be promoted, even if he *does* manage to survive past Tai graduating. 

Third, the job is just barely meeting his needs.  As others pointed out, he lives frugally and doesn't require much, but that could change at any point, and any major life or medical crisis is going to be catastrophic.  He mentioned wiping out his savings and then some to buy the 8-string; it's unknown if the job allows him to save any significant amount, but I doubt it, even with his lifestyle.  In addition, he likely has no retirement package or means of investing in one (a serious consideration, even for someone in their 20's), and if he has any kind of health or life insurance with the job (unlikely, but possible), it's going to be the most bare bones package available.  As a subset of that, he may be able to subsist on that himself, but if he ever wants a wife or child, he's going to need to seek out more gainful employment to be able to support a family in any meaningful way (I'm aware that his wife could work as well to support a family, and I'm not espousing a 50's housewife view, but if she does work at a more meaningful job with better compensation, resentment is definitely going to grow if Marten were to choose to keep drifting as he has).

Fourth, he's being left behind.  I know he has a music degree of some sort, but any other skills/knowledge/certifications he may have gained through college are growing increasingly out of date.  The longer he spends drifting in the library, the harder he's going to have to work to catch up if and when he's no longer employed there.

In short, I'm not espousing the view that everyone should be rich or pursue massive goals.  People should pursue what makes them happy.  But Marten is going to have to realize at some point that even if he just wants to make music and hang out, he needs to strive for at least a little better employment to build and maintain the infrastructure that allows him to chill out and play his guitar.  It's hard to relax and play your guitar when you had to sell it to make rent.

T

How much longer can Northampton's endless summer last?
A summer can last for 595 years. We just need to find out which loop they are in.

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

I suspect that Marten does like her, but isn't quite sure how to feel about it.

Really?

He sounds indiferent to me.  I mean, if I really liked a girl, the last thing I would think was "oh shit, well she's an intern so I guess I can't date her.  Oh well!"  I'd think, "just another obstacle...I WILL make this work".

But that's me, and not Marten, so yeah.
Yeah, but you aren't Jeph's walking punchline.  I think Marten at least finds her interesting.  She appears to be pretty (her face is in proportion and her body proportions are in the 'attractive' range).  She's not a mundie by any stretch of the imagination, so he doesn't have to worry about finding out she's into scrapbooking, The View, and her bible study group. And he hasn't had a steady relationship pretty much since Dora and He imploded.  He doesn't have to explain his job state, which can be a deal-breaker for goal-setting women in their late 20's.  But he's drifting into the "I can't win, why even try" mindset that leaves many of us paralyzed.
I'm kind of hoping the last panel is real life (its the same shirt he's wearing), but probably not. 
Hah. I just realized I called it 'real life'.  Anyway.  I think an Emily/Marten ship would be cute as baby salamanders.

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish

I think she's great.  She's just weird enough to shake up his mope-mode and the internship won't last forever so any perceived conflict of interest won't last forever (and neither will Marten's job there).

Besides, she's probably not as weird as illustrated - just a little quirky.  Everyone knew the quirky girl who became director of an art gallery or a non-profit or director of a musicians collective or something "Ah, she channeled the weirdness into something parlayable." 

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference

Don't forget that this isn't the first time Marten's misinterpreted Emily's intentions.

greywolfe

Incoming doom, repeat, incoming doom spotted at 10 o' clock.

quix0te

• Emoticontraindication

Oh no.  She might do something rude at Coffee Of Doom. 
Or, you know, ship coals to Newcastle.
Or ice to the arctic.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I respect people's choices in life, but realistically, his situation is not tenable long term.  The points aren't really touched on in-comic, but we can extrapolate several things:
[snip]
But Marten is going to have to realize at some point that even if he just wants to make music and hang out, he needs to strive for at least a little better employment to build and maintain the infrastructure that allows him to chill out and play his guitar. It's hard to relax and play your guitar when you had to sell it to make rent.

Yeah, he might as well start a webcomic.

[rimshot]

He's in his (early?) 20s ... still got a lot of living to do before he *really* has to start worrying about all that (valid) stuff I left out of your quote.

In-comic he's probably been there at the library about 18 months? maybe? Possibly not long enough to be considered for a cost-of-living raise. If he were in his thirties and was still "going nowhere at the library" then it might be cause for concern.

All of that said, we don't really know from canon what his actual pay is, benefits are and career opportunities are at the library. Just being around a college like that and showing that you can do work, any kind of work, can get you opportunities you might otherwise not be qualified for. This year's library dude might be next year's admissions clerk might be next decade's housing honcho.

Plus, while university jobs don't necessarily pay well, even relatively low-end Staff positions can still have significant benefits (free tuition for your kids, use of university facilities, etc) and can be comfortable places to live out a low-to-medium stress career leading to early(ish) retirement with pension and benefits.

I guess I'm saying that his situation might be more tenable (less untenable?) than your extrapolations indicate, if he adjusts his expectations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up