THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 01:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What now?

Faye is outsnarked by May (Cue Faye wielding The Stopsign of Doom)
Marten is attracted to May (Weirder things have happened)
Cosette trips with a full Caraffe into May - Sparks ensue
Dora hires May and replaces everyone else with her
Dale opens a Popcorn Consession in CoD
Spathe Ham with Waffles and Spathe Eggs
Purple Monkey Dishwasher
Hanners and May start the Robot Wars
Hanners and May become friends (Oh God, Oh God)
Whatever Jeph does, it'll be unexpected

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2756-2760 (28 July-1 August 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 47553 times)

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

A summer can last for 595 years. We just need to find out which loop they are in.
Man. That'd be so much harder than watching the same episode of a show over and over again for 4 hours.
I guess they didn't had money to make all the loops. The book contains only the last loop.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

The Whiskey Monster and I agree that all of you are being irrational!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Somehow, I don't think May is as keen on this connection as Clinton was.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I think she's just surprised.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

A summer can last for 595 years. We just need to find out which loop they are in.
Man. That'd be so much harder than watching the same episode of a show over and over again for 4 hours.
I guess they didn't had money to make all the loops. The book contains only the last loop.
Okay, what are you guys referencing?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Imagine 57 loops of 10,000 years or so...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

T

Okay, what are you guys referencing?
(click to show/hide)

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s

Anyone else think it's kind of funny that May still wears the orange "I was in jail" pants?

They're not the same. The jail pants have a yellow stripe down the leg -- see Here
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

Anyone else think it's kind of funny that May still wears the orange "I was in jail" pants?

They're not the same. The jail pants have a yellow stripe down the leg -- see Here

Hey now, we're talking about a comic where clothes can spontaneously change.  A missing stripe means little until it is conformed to be intentional.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Would Hanners freak out if May hugs her?
Well, she freaked out when Momo hugged her, but only until Momo pointed out she was a robot. I guess Hanners considers robots to have less bodily fluids and germs than people do have.

The question now becomes how May will react, once she realizes they are not fucking with her. There are several possible scenarios:
  • May is possibly in deep awe of Ellicott-Chatham Technology, as the creators of true AI (and, by extension, her God and Creator). This may lead to May fanning all over Hanners, similar to Clinton's reaction.
  • May is seeing opportunities, like how to benefit from the Hanners acquaintance. Possibly getting a job at the Space station? Or as a henchman for Hannermom?
  • May went to robot jail because she was behind this fraud. She may hold a grudge against Hannermom, but should be grateful to Hanners for barely escaping the shark tank.

T

I don't think May was involved on that fraud. You don't give a robot to sharks. That one was an organic living being.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I don't think May was involved on that fraud. You don't give a robot to sharks. That one was an organic living being.
You are probably right. She confessed to Dale she went to jail because of this crime. She wanted to become a fighter jet.
(click to show/hide)
Still, she would need to buy fuel for that thing. Stealing $6.000.000 from Hannermom might help.

EDIT: I am sure Hannermom needs a fighter jet sometimes to enforce a business deal, and May would be happy to apply for the job. Let us hope Hanners is able to prevent this.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I find a bit weird that she didn't shake hands knowing May was an android. I do remember she freaked out about the hugh with Momo but I also remember her calming down after Momo pointing out she was an android.
So... yeah. I find it weird. But whatever.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

She did know Momo first, though.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

Hmmm, that's a good point indeed. Didn't think of that. Thanks.

Loki

• comeback tour!

Also, it may be a reflexive response that she gives automatically before consciously processing who is offering.

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference

Obviously May is surprised that the scion of ECTech is working in a coffee shop, let alone with Dale.

Why is Hanners working at CoD again?

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Obviously May is surprised that the scion of ECTech is working in a coffee shop, let alone with Dale.

Why is Hanners working at CoD again?
Here is Hanners' own explanation. I suspect she was half joking (but I am not entirely sure). But the "interact with people" part is probably true, and part of her therapy. I would guess she has no need for the money she gets for her CoD job.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Wait a second, why does everyone assume Hanners is rich?
Sure, her parents are and she will be once she inherits her parents' company shares, but we know nothing about how much her parents support her financially right now. I am sure that she gets some support because you can't afford a nice appartment like hers on a part-time coffee shop job and probably her therapy and medication is quite expensive, too, but she might still want or need to earn something herself. Remember that before her coffee shop job, she had a business counting things for money.

Also, just being a rich kid* and expecting your parents to pay for everything you do is not a fulfilling life for some people. I think it's perfectly natural to want to have your own job and gain a little independence by earning your own money.

Edit: * Forgot the point that Hanners is not actually a kid anymore. She's at least 23 (citation needed). As an adult, you generally need to provide for yourself. It's nice of your parents to support you if they can and you need it, but you can't sit around and expect it.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I agree, Hanners almost certainly supports herself. She did get money from her mum, but that was as a paid employee not as a handout. I find it quite bizarre that people think a woman in her twenties would be supported by her parents as a default - I know a lot of people are in that position, but Hanners isn't. She's got at least one job and we've seen her working two others as well.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

My assumption was that Hanners could not afford her apartment, therapy, medication, and nice clothes without some financial support from her parents. She got the CoD job later in the series. True, she counted things and did accounting fraud research for her mother (and got paid for that), but we have no indication she did that as a full-time job. The financial support from her mother might be camouflaged as a consultancy fee, but probably well above the real market value.

EDIT: Besides, her OCD issues makes it impossible for her to have a full-time job. Sometimes, she does not sleep for several days. At other times, she falls asleep wherever she is. Her phobias also contribute to her problems, I am impressed she is able to do a good part-time job at CoD. I guess the support and understanding from her friends and colleagues helps a lot. I guess most parents who have a child with physical or mental problems try to support them financially as best they can, even after they become adults.

Hanners may also own shares in ECTech, or be the beneficiary of a trust fund set up for her, or have some other means of financial income.

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

I agree, Hanners almost certainly supports herself. She did get money from her mum, but that was as a paid employee not as a handout. I find it quite bizarre that people think a woman in her twenties would be supported by her parents as a default - I know a lot of people are in that position, but Hanners isn't. She's got at least one job and we've seen her working two others as well.
I don't think it's that people assume that a woman in her twenties would be supported by her parents as a default.  I think it's that people assume that a woman in her twenties with billionaire parents would get at least a measure of financial support from her parents as a default.  Basically, I'd expect her to have come into a big honking trust fund when she came of age.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Uh, this is a comic.

Its NOT realistic.

A child of billionaires will NOT care for itself because:

(a) The parents will want the child to take over their business, thus it will get first class education at places like Havard.

(b) The child needs 100% private security services 100% of the time, just like for example famous Hollywood stars. There IS a reason such stars earn millions per movie - its because otherwise they could neither afford the insane house prices in Hollywood nor the necessary private protection.

As a rule - the really rich people are born rich and die rich, and only get richer and richer in between.
Carpe Diem

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I hope E-C Technology didn't build and/or operate the robot jail.

On shaking hands; Momo has a plastic skin, but May is rocking the naked metal look, complete with potential germ-filled crevices in her hands.

I imagine Hannermom having her own private airforce, as well as her platoons of elite mercenaries. Possibly submarines too; it has the Bond-villain vibe. Hannerdad prefers not to get his hands dirty, but takes care of orbital surveillance, and bombardment. Oh, and killbots. I have always assumed that anyone foolish enough to threaten Hanners would regret it very much, very quickly. What, you think that a stealth airship isn't permanently on station over Northampton?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

may has exposed joints, which suggests no skin (except for maybe on her face), but given that it's a cheap government issue shell, i'd expect her to be mostly plastic, rather than metal.

that said, a robot who's out & about in the world should have almost as many opportunities to pick up surface germs as a humans, & would probably wash their hands less frequently.

then again, trying to apply rationality & logic to hannelore's phobias is probably missing the point by a little bit.

drewdane

• Plantmonster

I'm just having trouble with the fact that Hannelore doesn't shake hands, but she will sling a mop.  Does not compute.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Are you kidding? When Hannelore works the cleaning supplies are probably disinfected regularly. The store has probably been cleaner since she's started working than it has been, ever. Except the spiders in the basement... I guess she just doesn't go down there.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

They are very clean and sanitary spiders.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Barmymoo

• Mentat

My grandfather wasn't a billionaire, but he was a millionaire. My dad grew up poor. Your logic isn't infalliable here.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

A John Varley character said once "Security you keep tripping over is just amateur gun-toting". She may have bodyguards so discreet she doesn't even know about them.

On the other hand a protection service with a good intelligence network should have intercepted Clinton before Marten had to intervene.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Plot twist: Winslow actually has secret programming and capabilities to act as a bodyguard for Hanners. If she is threatened in his presence, he can 'mecha-hulk-out' and deal with most danger. For anything he can't handle... he has a satellite uplink direct to Station... Unfortunately her dad's clever plan is thwarted by the fact that Hanners leaves Winslow home all the time.

I would be surprised if Hannelore's mother didn't have a security firm quietly keeping an eye on her, and running background on people she interacts with. So the question now... how will she rate May? Harmless, threat or potentially useful?

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Plot twist: Winslow actually has secret programming and capabilities to act as a bodyguard for Hanners. If she is threatened in his presence, he can 'mecha-hulk-out' and deal with most danger. For anything he can't handle... he has a satellite uplink direct to Station... Unfortunately her dad's clever plan is thwarted by the fact that Hanners leaves Winslow home all the time.

I would be surprised if Hannelore's mother didn't have a security firm quietly keeping an eye on her, and running background on people she interacts with. So the question now... how will she rate May? Harmless, threat or potentially useful?

Either harmless or potentially useful. On one hand, that May got caught would probably take her down several pegs in Hannermom's estimation. On the other hand, when we last saw her, she didn't seem to have much in common with (or, to look at it from her viewpoint, much use for) Hannelore generally. In May, she would likely sense someone she could put to good use.* That's when we'd find out just how much May had learned from, or been changed by, her experience in Robot Jail.

*Sorry if this sounds cold and calculating, but I'm trying to see this situation from the character's POV.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I imagine Hannermom having her own private airforce, as well as her platoons of elite mercenaries. Possibly submarines too; it has the Bond-villain vibe. Hannerdad prefers not to get his hands dirty, but takes care of orbital surveillance, and bombardment. Oh, and killbots. I have always assumed that anyone foolish enough to threaten Hanners would regret it very much, very quickly. What, you think that a stealth airship isn't permanently on station over Northampton?
Wow. That was a lot more sinister than I imagined. Kudos :psyduck:

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

My grandfather wasn't a billionaire, but he was a millionaire. My dad grew up poor. Your logic isn't infalliable here.
I never said it was a universal truth.  I suggested it was a reasonable default assumption.  At the very least, it's a more reasonable (and different) assumption than that she'd be supported by her parents simply because she was a woman in her 20s.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Actually I wouldn't think her parents would support her because she's in her 20s, but rather because she suffers from an array of mental illness that make holding down most jobs difficult if not impossible.  She works part time at the CoD with her friends, and she does or at least used to do work for her mother, tracking down number discrepancies and such. Working at CoD is more therapy than work though for her. And I doubt that most employers would be able to keep her around long. Dora is more understanding because she knows and likes Hannelore, so she's willing to give her slack when she has a near-psychotic break because she's been up four days straight, or has a major panic attack, or forgets her pants again and so on and so forth.

That said, it really doesn't seem like she has to worry about money. I imagine it is a combination of trust fund and shares in ECT. Her parents certainly watch out for her, but they are also giving her this space to grow. She did have a rather atypical childhood after all.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Loki

• comeback tour!

I don't think we have seen Hanners have sleep issues lately, have we?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

It's gonna be interesting to see how they interact.

And whether Hanners was the reason she was in Robot Jail.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

And as always I'm surprised to find Faye wearing a German soccer shirt in the comic you linked. The logo is definitely the logo of the German national team:

The color was the color scheme of the away jerseys at the time:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

:psyduck: 41 (62.1%)

:wow:  25 (37.9%
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

WAYF

• Beyoncé

I mean, props to the people who animated Weird Al Yankovic's "Word Crimes" for referencing everyone's favourite shiba inu, but other than that... yeah, Psyduck any day.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

:psyduck: 41 (62.1%)

:wow:  25 (37.9%
Hey! Who said you could change it?

(Thank you)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

T

may has exposed joints, which suggests no skin (except for maybe on her face), but given that it's a cheap government issue shell, i'd expect her to be mostly plastic, rather than metal.

that said, a robot who's out & about in the world should have almost as many opportunities to pick up surface germs as a humans, & would probably wash their hands less frequently.

then again, trying to apply rationality & logic to hannelore's phobias is probably missing the point by a little bit.

On the other hand (no pun intended) bare plastic doesn't offer much nutrients for bacterial growth. Also they could come with anti-bacterial properties included since bacterial film can be a problem for non-living beings.

My assumption was that Hanners could not afford her apartment, therapy, medication, and nice clothes without some financial support from her parents. She got the CoD job later in the series. True, she counted things and did accounting fraud research for her mother (and got paid for that), but we have no indication she did that as a full-time job. The financial support from her mother might be camouflaged as a consultancy fee, but probably well above the real market value.
I think it would make sense that a semi-utopic society with sentient robots would have free healthcare.
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2014, 18:05 by T »

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Somehow, I don't think May is as keen on this connection as Clinton was.

.... you were saying?

T

Every robot could have a hidden function for that. If Hanners is threatened all robots in 100 meters would come to protect her.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Interesting.

Either harmless or potentially useful. On one hand, that May got caught would probably take her down several pegs in Hannermom's estimation. On the other hand, when we last saw her, she didn't seem to have much in common with (or, to look at it from her viewpoint, much use for) Hannelore generally. In May, she would likely sense someone she could put to good use.* That's when we'd find out just how much May had learned from, or been changed by, her experience in Robot Jail.

*Sorry if this sounds cold and calculating, but I'm trying to see this situation from the character's POV.

I suspect May's reaction here may take her up several pegs in Beatrice's estimation. "Kill anyone who messes with Hannelore" is an attitude she would definitely approve of.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Well, this does solve any future Clinton problems.

Zwammy

• Obscure cultural reference

This is a comic that accepts the existence of a talking cursing dicksissel.

He's talking about the type of bird Yelling Bird is.
"Forget reality. We're not part of the reality-based community." Skin Horse
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up