Drill instructor
Publishing her own educational videos
Country music singer
Satanic librarian
Regular librarian, like Clarice
Personal trainer for Hannermom
Silly silicon sylph

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2761-2765 (4-8 August 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 39399 times)

zioninavision

• Plantmonster
  • pi is basically 3 ; 1 and 4 do not round up

Theoretically by switching to a more freeform differently expressive style Jeph will be able to create a evolution of QC while also working on the new comic! 

A style like this would allow QC to breathe into the spacey, psychedelic/musical moods and concepts that have always been part of it, while additionally not requiring the comics to have to have a strict, tidy appearance before being good-to-publish.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine

I'm with Azriphale, I'm not digging it at all. I'm generally pretty open-minded with art styles, but this instance just gives off a creepy, disturbing vibe to me. The style kind of infatilizes her.  The shift is quite jarring. If this is going to be the new look, I'll get used to it like I have all the other shifts over the years, but it's definitely not my preference. But it's Jeph's work, he can make it the way he likes, I'm just along for the ride.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

What's weird to me isn't the style itself so much as the sudden shift. Usually you'd get the change between 2762 and 2763 over 100 or more comics, not one to the next.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I'm hoping my hair lasts longer because... I like having hair.
Extrapolating from your profile picture, I always imagined you as bald :psyduck:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...oh, and Zebidiah, yay for you!!! Guys whose hair turns white/gray as they get older but doesn't fall out are usually VERY good looking. Personal preference, of course.  :-D Sean Connery = ideal!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mr. Connery's been bald for a very long time.  Those are toupees. 

This is a pic from the set of You Only Live Twice - he was already losing a lot of it;

Still looks good, though, rockin' that scalp. 

« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2014, 16:11 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

sluthy

• Obscure cultural reference

Looks like Jeph likes it:

Quote from: jephjacques
lots of people commenting on the different art in today's comic. It's a lot of fun to draw, feels like I've "opened up" or something

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Uh-oh. We've seen Hannelore assert herself before, and it can be pretty scary.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier

Whatever Hannelore is about to do, she doesn't get to. This is not something you get to do to a person.

TheCollector

I gotta say, some points of the new art I like better, like the hands, but those big eyes just weird me out. If Jeph wants to stick with this style I don't mind, just hope he shrinks down on the eyes.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mr. Connery's been bald for a very long time.  Those are toupees.
And he was secure enough to remove his toupée on-camera at the end of The Man With The Deadly Lens.

Why does May have toothpicks? It's not like she'll get food stuck between her teeth?

I'm not sure about the new art. I didn't like the "shadowless" style of 2762, but I'll see if the current style grows on me.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

"Tin hats everybody!"

@Akima - That's a French Coffee Press, not Toothpicks.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Jazzmaster

This new style reminds me somewhat of the style we got with the late 100's and early 1000's strips. 

That was actually my favorite style of all, though.  This new one, not so much, unfortunately...but hey, that's just like, my opinion, man.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I gotta say, some points of the new art I like better, like the hands, but those big eyes just weird me out. If Jeph wants to stick with this style I don't mind, just hope he shrinks down on the eyes.

I don't know, I kind of like how it looks like a cartoon and a anime at the same time. Even if that does break some law of the universe.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

I hope the new art is not a one off. I quite like it.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not feeling it. A: the whole Hanners-as-Muppet-Baby* thing is disturbing, and B: call me a silly bastard, but I like my characters to look human. I don't expect (or want, really) to see the characters look like they did in the early strips, but that last panel seems more like a devolution than an evolution.

I'm with you.  Huge eyes are not, in my opinion, all that attractive a feature. 

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

This new style reminds me somewhat of the style we got with the late 100's and early 1000's strips. 

The period around 1000 is what I think of as his "frowny" period, as the characters often seem to be frowning anytime they weren't smiling.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2014, 15:49 by SomeCanadianWeirdo »

Nyithra

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Oh come on Marigold, don't go down the path of spending all of your time with the boyfriend and none with your friends. We all know that doesn't end well!
Follow your heart, but when your heart starts to shit all over your life, follow your brain.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Whatever Hannelore is about to do, she doesn't get to. This is not something you get to do to a person.
Tell your friend that a new relationship is exciting and great but that's no reason to completely abandon your friends? Yes, yes it is something you get to (and should) do to a person.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile

the new style's a lot more 'cartoony', he's playing faster and looser with anatomy & proportion & such. (note how much hannelore's neck is stretching out in panel 3)

it'll just take a bit of time, both for us to get used to, and for jeph to get comfortable.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Although I love anime, I'm a bit sceptical of the new art.  I don't hate it yet, but I don't like it yet either.  Plus, like many crazy people, drastic change can throw me off.  I just think I'll wait and see until it's been around a bit longer before I pass judgement on it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

I don't like it. I mean, it's fine as an art style, but not for this. The story is too serious and refined for a style like this.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

HiEv

• Not quite a lurker

What's weird to me isn't the style itself so much as the sudden shift. Usually you'd get the change between 2762 and 2763 over 100 or more comics, not one to the next.

I have to say, I agree.

I noticed that he also tweeted, "It feels like my brain medicine has stopped working entirely. I should call my psychiatrist tomorrow."  I think that the sudden and rather radical shift in art style is an strong indicator that something is going on that needs to be checked.  Artists having sudden shifts in style like this, for better or worse, is not normal.

I hope he brings up this sudden art style change with his psychiatrist.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor

Meh, not a fan of the new art style either.  I mean, I look at panel 4 in today's comic for example and see Hanners saying she's about to assert herself.  If this were drawn a week ago, I'd be thinking, "Ooooh shi-", but with this style, all I can think of is, "Aww, how cute."  This art style doesn't really fit, it's too cutesy; which there's nothing wrong with, but it doesn't feel right for this comic.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Isn't it always "awww how cute" with Hanners? Except alternate Hanners variations.

Janet_Yellens_yellin

• Not quite a lurker

Perhaps it's because the change is so abrupt, but the new style looks almost like a parody of his old to me. I seem to remember one of the guest strips using a similar style, in fact. This cartoonish style therefore makes it harder for myself to take the reactions and emotions of the characters as seriously, which I don't think fits this style of comic. For example, I'm not sure how to interpret Marigold's reaction in the final panel of the comic because the art is so cartoonish. I think the humor of QC is built upon nuances in the characters, which are harder to depict in such a cartoonish style.

I do acknowledge that the early strips were quite cartoonish as well, but I'd argue that they were built upon an entirely different kind of humor, which eventually evolved significantly to that of today. So now (in my opinion) we have a cartoonish art style clashing with the more realistic, "modern" writing, perhaps resulting in the dissonance I experienced at Marigold's previously mentioned reaction. My question is: will the writing now evolve to create unity with the art? Of course, I may be an outlier in my reaction, as well, and no change in the writing may be needed.

However, the artist likes the new style, and far be it from me to tell him or anyone not to shake up a comic which has been so longrunning. I'm actually pretty excited to see if he makes further changes.
« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2014, 23:56 by Janet_Yellens_yellin »

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

I second the sentiments about the art :/
Does anyone know what the title (B-E) means?
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.

I'll be blunt, I hate it. The eyes are too out of proportion and the postures/actions are too exaggerated. Had he been doing this for a while (or even shifting in this direction) that'd be one thing. But this sudden shift just completely disengages the art from the established tone and what few story threads are left. I can't take any of the characters seriously if they're going to look like this.
Quis pater tibi est?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

nuances

I worry that the new style won't leave room for the wonderful facial expression details Jeph is so good at.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Oh come on Marigold, don't go down the path of spending all of your time with the boyfriend and none with your friends. We all know that doesn't end well!
Well, we have all had friends behaving like that. Maybe even been down that path ourselves. From my own experience, I would be willing to wait a while, until the initial intense period is over. When things calm down a little, I guess Marigold will miss her friends, and start hanging out more with Hanners again. But still, it is a big difference from being single. Marigold cannot spend as much time with friends as before, I guess Dale will require at least 50% of her spare time.

EDIT: And where is Momo? I guess she is also missing Marigold. Momo and Hanners should start to hang out more.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

May seems to be working at CoD now. Not that she is hired, but she is doing work.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Please note, May has now moved behind the counter, helping Hanners making french press coffee (she is probably not yet entrusted with the espresso machine). I guess May just wants to be close to Hanners, ready to defend her, and the best position for that happens to be behind the counter.

When Dora appears, she might be mad; on the other hand, she might also recognize May's talent as a barista (both in attitude and in the ability to make coffee). Dora can hardly afford more employees, but perhaps May is happy helping out (without pay) whenever Hanners is on duty.

I guess May will want to become Hanners' companion (or disciple?), and move in with her. This will cause complications. Winslow will become jealous (is it even legal to have a threesome companionship?), and Hanners might not even be interested in a close relationship with May.

gopher

Obviously as readers of a free comic we are owed absolutely nothing. With that said I really don't like the new manga-esque eyes and body proportions. Much, much prefer the quasi-realistic art.

Jedit

I don't know, I kind of like how it looks like a cartoon and a anime at the same time. Even if that does break some law of the universe.

Schrodinger's Cartoon: until it is observed, it cannot be determined whether the observer is or is not an otaku. :D

Seriously, I agree with The Collector - almost everything about the new art style is fine, but the eyes need to go back to where they were before. 
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Lots of people not liking the new art, I see.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BarGamer

• Emoticontraindication

I don't care, I think Hanners is adorable with larger eyes.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

I'm going to side with the other who re not digging the new style at all. Feels way to cartoonish for me.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I hope the new art is not a one off. I quite like it.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not feeling it. A: the whole Hanners-as-Muppet-Baby* thing is disturbing, and B: call me a silly bastard, but I like my characters to look human. I don't expect (or want, really) to see the characters look like they did in the early strips, but that last panel seems more like a devolution than an evolution.**

*Alright, not a Muppet Baby exactly, but I think you get where I'm coming from.
**Usual disclaimers apply. YMMV, etc.
I completely agree. Hanners looks scary and ridiculous like this.
I way preferred - actually, I loved - the art style when Jeph was going for making the characters look like actual adult humans; the era ~1800-2300, especially around 2100. Since then, their heads and eyes have gotten bigger, so the characters looked more child-like again, but I still thought it was really good to pretty good (depending on the day) up until this really drastic change.
This new art change... Marigold and May are ok, but Hanners is really off in my opinion. And since she's one of my favourite characters, I'm very sad about that. I mean, just compare today's comic with this, for example - I just randomly picked one comic that had Hanners in it from the art-era I like; you can look at any of the others instead: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2244. Or even just the one a few days ago: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2759 For me, that's a big step backwards, sorry.
(While I'm complaining: I also by far preferred Dora and Tai in that era of comics I specified above.)

I'm also still hoping that May will neither work at CoD nor as Hanners' bodyguard. She's way less annoying and obnoxious now than when she first showed up, but I'd still like to see my favourite characters interact without her being around all the time.

Of course, that's just me and Jeph should do what he likes, but I'm enjoying QC way less lately than I used to - so far mainly due to the, in my eyes, wonky art, not so much the storyline.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

@Akima - That's a French Coffee Press, not Toothpicks.
I was referring to the first panel of 2763.

Incoming Hannelore self-assertion! Duck and cover!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Stonewolfe

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I like this new art style (and yes I made an account today, just to point this out) I kind of hope it sticks.

iduguphergrave

• Duck attack survivor
  • All this could be yours someday

Toothpicks are an old-timey way of showing a character is thuggish, underhanded, and/or sneaky in some way. Appropriate for an ex-con who's taken it upon herself to be a bodyguard.

Not a fan of the new art style so far, but need a few more strips to be sure.
"Theodore, we're 4-foot high chipmunks. We're proof that god is dead."
- Alvin

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

I sort of expect the new art direction to mellow down a bit over time, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic about it. Right now it seems a bit jarring, but we'll see.
What do you know about Pokémon?

Sidhekin

• FIGHT YOU
    • LiveJournal

I sort of expect the new art direction to mellow down a bit over time, so I'll stay cautiously optimistic about it. Right now it seems a bit jarring, but we'll see.
Right; good changes often happen that way.  I'm so used to webcomics going through these shake-ups, that I would not have thought twice about it, but for the talk on the forum.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Incoming Hannelore self-assertion! Duck and cover!
With a previous drawing style, yes (check the Chenobylore strip). But with the new drawing style, I have a hard time imagining Hanners going critical. She would just look cute.

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH

Hello. I am here to say that I am struggling to see past the new style enough to enjoy the story it tells. Fingers crossed this is just some fun and experimentation - it would be such a shame anyway to lose the quality of expression and personality Jeph's skills inject into his art by 'reverting' to a simpler style. It cheapens it in a way.. turns the story we've followed for years, the characters worth discussing enough to generate an entire forum of conversations, into merely.. cartoons.

Also the loose'n'easy style is at odds with the tone of the current strip. I know it's not something like Faye's father's death, nor Marten & Dora's breakup, but the loss of a friend (or, at least, the perception of loss) is acutely painful for anyone, let alone someone who so values human friendship as Hanners. Good friends are hard to find, and these are the first she's ever had; given we could realistically consider Marigold as her best friend, the neglect of this relationship by Marigold post-Dale must hurt.  :cry:

Anyway, hello.  :-)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

To be honest, I havent even noticed the art changes much.

I mean sure they look different... but they look different all the time, so meh.

Also, still much better than anything I myself could ever manage (in probably 10 times the time it takes Jeph).

Now if Order of the Stick would change its artwork, that one would be much noticeable.
Carpe Diem

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

I look at the new comics and keep thinking "This is a nice guest strip" then I realise it's the art style now, so very strange.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2014, 05:56 by bryntheskits »
Hurp

judemorrigan

• Balloon animal serial killer

Obviously as readers of a free comic we are owed absolutely nothing. With that said I really don't like the new manga-esque eyes and body proportions. Much, much prefer the quasi-realistic art.
This is pretty much my take on it.  That said, I'm sure the current style will grow on me assuming Jeph sticks with it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I wonder what the correlation between liking the new art and being a fan big-eye anime may be...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

FayeDouble

• Not quite a lurker
  • There's a fine art to goofing off

Oh you just HAD to post that picture of Connery - drool!
Haha I'm such a nut.

Not digging the new Marigold look yet...
A broken heart that never heals is what you'll have if love was real.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Hello. I am here to say that I am struggling to see past the new style enough to enjoy the story it tells. Fingers crossed this is just some fun and experimentation - it would be such a shame anyway to lose the quality of expression and personality Jeph's skills inject into his art by 'reverting' to a simpler style. It cheapens it in a way.. turns the story we've followed for years, the characters worth discussing enough to generate an entire forum of conversations, into merely.. cartoons.

Also the loose'n'easy style is at odds with the tone of the current strip. I know it's not something like Faye's father's death, nor Marten & Dora's breakup, but the loss of a friend (or, at least, the perception of loss) is acutely painful for anyone, let alone someone who so values human friendship as Hanners. Good friends are hard to find, and these are the first she's ever had; given we could realistically consider Marigold as her best friend, the neglect of this relationship by Marigold post-Dale must hurt.  :cry:

Anyway, hello.  :-)
Good points, I agree! And welcome to the forum!

Mojo

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.  As an artist myself, I've always preferred the expressionist style.  However, it seems to me that much of the appeal of a comic like this is its ability to draw the reader INTO the setting.  We're interacting vicariously with these characters.  Thus, I think a more "realistic" style is more conducive to that appeal.  The expressive style is fun and all, but it kind of breaks down the connection to the characters.

Just my opinion, of course.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up