Drill instructor
Publishing her own educational videos
Country music singer
Satanic librarian
Regular librarian, like Clarice
Personal trainer for Hannermom
Silly silicon sylph

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2761-2765 (4-8 August 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 39319 times)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it

Thanks, May! I had always thought that I follow Dad's pattern of hairloss, but your explanation makes sense. It is probably more complicated /not quite the whole truth, but there is a significant correlation. Meaning that whatever I have left in ten years or so will go pretty silvery like my maternal grandpa. Awesome!

Repeating myself: I started losing hair at about 20, may be a bit earlier. And, being a mathematician, it adds to my street cred.
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Socky

• Emoticontraindication

I don't know what it is about the lack of shading on this comic, but I kind of really like it!

Schwungrad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

I don't know what it is about the lack of shading on this comic, but I kind of really like it!
Ligne claire!

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Take a lesson from the Canadians - there's always time to be polite.

(click to show/hide)
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Hanners should have learned by now not to take crap from customers. I can think of a couple of appropriate responses:

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

The Brazilian professor I've worked with likes to confuse Starbucks employees by ordering a grande, but pronouncing the name like it's pronounced in Brazilian Portuguese (gran-jee).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

No, the way to confuse Starbucks employees is to not order coffee. Order a blueberry muffin or something like that, and when they ask "How would you like your coffee?" tell them you don't drink coffee. They cannot comprehend this.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while

I confuse my starbucks workers by not drinking there because it's shit and I live in Australia :emotrex:
(We do have a dedicated coffee thread, you know.)
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

It turns out when they were developing May's AI, they mistakenly used some data Hannelore's mother had lying around on Faye.  So now they're like sisters.  But one has an actual conviction.

Too much of a stretch?

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Has May actually met Faye yet? Seems like they would get along well.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Ah, okay, but not since she's gotten a body?

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Ligne claire!

But that's Hanners!

....I'll just show myself out.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Briefly.

There were no briefs involved in the meeting though.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

OK, you want a wild theory full of holes? Here's a wild theory full of holes: Hannelore is her own bodyguard. Evil Hannelore is actually the same person as Good Hannelore - just an alternate personality that is programmed to take over whenever Hannelore is in danger. And she may have surfaced during the Hannerpocalypse also.

I want this one to be true even more than the last one.

I think it is.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

RE: genetics

I'm the oldest of four boys, and it's really funny how we split 2 + 2 on so many genetic traits.  As for hair, two of us went the way my father did, starting at the crown with a slowly receding hairline until they met in the middle.  I finally shaved the paltry shock on top,  My baby brother hasn't yet, he still has enough to comb. 

The other two are following my maternal grandfather's pattern, slowly losing the temples.  He had a full head of silver hair (with a pronounced widow's peak) when he passed away in his 80's. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

My hairline has been slowly receding since my late teens. My brother is now bald at age 30, and he thinned on top before it went entirely like my dad. I'm hoping my hair lasts longer because... I like having hair.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Would it annoy you all terribly if I said that at 48 I still have a full head of hair? And it's turning pure white. I am going to look awesome when I'm old.  :-D

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

It'll certainly pick up colour easily and vibrantly.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

WHY ARE HANNELORE'S EYES SO HUGE? In today's comic.
Don't mind me.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

May is not helping.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

And I suddenly had a vision of May baby-sitting little Fighter Jet. It was not pretty.

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer

And I suddenly had a vision of May baby-sitting little Fighter Jet. It was not pretty.

So does the kid actually get named 'Raptor' or 'Worthog?

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Hanners will tell Faye about this, and Faye will breakup with Angus over this over a miscommunication.

T

About baldness, there are other genes involved that are not linked to the chromossome X so people whose father presents hair loss have 2.5 times more chances to develop it too independent of the mother lineage.

So the only way to be safe is not having any bald person in both sides of the family. Hooray!

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

In before 10000 comments about Hanners' eyes

Ok, maybe 9998
« Last Edit: 05 Aug 2014, 19:36 by FunkyTuba »

Jazzmaster

• Obscure cultural reference

Is anyone else noticing some pretty substantial changes to Jeph's artwork over the last couple of days?

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Gah!

Hannelore has suddenly become either an anthroPC or a huge Lady Gaga fan.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

He has been experimenting with drawing a little "looser" on twitter today.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

guardgirl716

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

that moment when you realize hypothetical Baby Fighter Jet is a call-back to this wonderful conversation  :wow:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

In before 10000 comments about Hanners' eyes

Ok, maybe 9998

Artist Evolution HO!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Chelicerate

• Furry furrier

Baldness is on the X chromosome (like almost everything else!) and is a recessive trait, which is why men get it more than women - women are much more likely to have a dominant non-baldness X because we get two shots at it. So there's really no way to accurately predict whether or not you'll go bald, because even if you track back to your maternal grandfather you still don't know which X you got from your mother.

A friendly reminder that not all women have two X chromosomes, nor do all men have a Y chromosome.

On the art: I'm not sure I like it. But I've reacted that way to every art shakeup this comic's gone through. I'll live.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

Now we need to cut to the library for no reason to see Claire and Emily designs.

HauntingPoem

• Furry furrier
  • Such cool. Post good. Wow.

I hope the new art is not a one off. I quite like it.
"Our home is where we are. Our place of origin does not matter"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

*Sigh*

Now they'll have to push Hanners Reset Button - again.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

A friendly reminder that not all women have two X chromosomes, nor do all men have a Y chromosome.
Yes, except they actually do.

Unless something went seriously wrong and then in most cases the baby wouldnt even be born, let alone get into adulthood.
Carpe Diem

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Even if one were to exclude *trans || intersex folks from the calculus, there are plenty of uncommon enough but not deadly genetic and developmental things that can cause gender to not match chromosomes. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Even if one were to exclude *trans || intersex folks from the calculus, there are plenty of uncommon enough but not deadly genetic and developmental things that can cause gender to not match chromosomes.

XY and X0 women exist, but I don't think you can have a cis-gender man without a Y.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.

A million babies is probably a slightly unreasonable number.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Yes, except they actually do.

Unless something went seriously wrong and then in most cases the baby wouldnt even be born, let alone get into adulthood.

Chelicerate is right - I wrote my post as I did for convenience, which was lazy of me, but there are plenty of women and men who don't fit the xx/xy binary. Trans women and men, people with unusual genetic makeups (I met a child who has XXXY chromosomes the other day and they were definitely born and there's no indication they won't get into adulthood). There are many members of this forum who would be deeply offended at the statement that there's something "seriously wrong" with them. I'd advise hopping over to the Discuss forum to check out the Trans thread, and also the rules.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

May:  "Could go either way."

foolsguinea

• Obscure cultural reference

Well, that (Wednesday's comic) was a particularly sudden art shift. The first panel seems pretty close to what he's been doing, but the second feels very different and kind of less finished. Trippy.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

XY and X0 women exist, but I don't think you can have a cis-gender man without a Y.

XX man with CAH (caused by 21OH)

And to complete the set...

XY(mainly) woman with CAH(caused by 3BHSD)

No, they're not related - just that that is apparenty the typical build that results. Short legs, long arms, barrel chest.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Socky

• Emoticontraindication

New art style is cool, everything seems a bit less rigid and more expressive, I can get with that.

FayeDouble

• Not quite a lurker
  • There's a fine art to goofing off

Glad to see I'm not crazy, and everyone else noticed the art change as well. I'm okay with it (Jeph rocks, everything he does is cool, lol) but I'm interested to see Dale/Sven/Faye in the new styles. Oh, and Marigold as well. Unless it's just Hanners that changed...oh, and Zebidiah, yay for you!!! Guys whose hair turns white/gray as they get older but doesn't fall out are usually VERY good looking. Personal preference, of course.  :-D Sean Connery = ideal!
A broken heart that never heals is what you'll have if love was real.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

New art style is cool, everything seems a bit less rigid and more expressive, I can get with that.
I also like the new style as a nice variation, but I am not sure I would like it on a regular basis. Hanners looks a lot more childish than I like to imagine her. I guess we have to wait and see if Jeph decides to commit to the new style.

That said, I am happy with the overall progress in Jeph's drawing style. It is good that we are not stuck with the same style as in the beginning of the series.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

Kinda digging the art style.

More importantly, it is now imperative that Dale and Marigold marry and have one child named Fighter Jet. 

T

Sometimes a portion of the Y chromosome might end up trading places with a part of the X chromosome resulting in an X chromosome that functions like a Y chromosome. Or sometimes a female fetus suffer over-exposition to androgen hormones (like from a tumor) and they develop like a boy with, except that they have ovaries and no Y chromosome.

There is also the cases where two embryos merge and the cells get all mixed so a person can have XX and XY cells and sometimes even testicle and ovary.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

I hope the new art is not a one off. I quite like it.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm just not feeling it. A: the whole Hanners-as-Muppet-Baby* thing is disturbing, and B: call me a silly bastard, but I like my characters to look human. I don't expect (or want, really) to see the characters look like they did in the early strips, but that last panel seems more like a devolution than an evolution.**

*Alright, not a Muppet Baby exactly, but I think you get where I'm coming from.
**Usual disclaimers apply. YMMV, etc.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up