THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 14:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Weekend poll: what will Marten's next job NOT be?

Heavyweight boxer
- 7 (11.9%)
Heir to the family business
- 6 (10.2%)
Teaching Mandarin in Africa
- 6 (10.2%)
Investment banker
- 5 (8.5%)
Pro wrestler
- 7 (11.9%)
Longshoreman
- 5 (8.5%)
Artillery officer
- 8 (13.6%)
Motivational speaker
- 8 (13.6%)
Suffering sulfur succotash
- 7 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: 15 Sep 2014, 13:46

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2786-2790 (8-12 September 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 29503 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

There wasn't a WCDT when I started this. If another appeared at the same time, may the best poll win.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Hopefully not coffee critic, he doesn't know shit about coffee.

Edit: Comic's up! About Tai'm they address this. (preemptively smashes pun jar before someone complains)
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2014, 19:48 by Method of Madness »
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Someday Tai will disappear and when they ask in the university no one will know who she is.  :psyduck:

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Future spoiler:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

I'm expecting Marten to ask Tai, only to have her freak out when she realises she doesn't know, and hasn't been to a class in months

Once in a blue moon I'll have a dream where I'm back in university, and realise I haven't been to certain classes in months, or that I haven't done anything on an essay that's due in a few days.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

or that I haven't done anything on an essay that's due in a few days.
A few days? That's plenty of time!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

Those sorts of dreams have become replaced in my subconscious by dreams about the lab equipment blowing up for various reasons (such as the city being blown away by a tornado).

SuctionCup Caper Two

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • SUCTION CUPS UNITE

Those samples I sent to the physics lab to be irradiated in the tank-reactor?   TOTALLY forgot about them now they are ruined and I am not going to finish my paper --- ALARM CLOCK HAHAHAH WOO GRADUATED 15 YEARS AGO NEVERMIND.   Goddamn anxiety.   :-\
MMM SUCTION CUPS

T

Modern education system is a traumatic experience...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

pfft. I still have night mares of high school. Though they usually take place in some high school I've never seen much less attended. I actually found the school I got my degree at (trade school, not college) was more annoyance producing instead of anxiety inducing.

T

You had nocturnal equines in high school?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I see what you did there.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

I'm not sure that's even a pun. One Claire out of five.  :claireface:

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Once in a blue moon I'll have a dream where I'm back in university, and realise I haven't been to certain classes in months, or that I haven't done anything on an essay that's due in a few days.
I have the same dream quite frequently, although I graduated years ago. I guess I was frequently behind schedule.

That said, I find it improbable that Tai and Marten have not discussed the progress in her studies, and her future plans.
I'm expecting Marten to ask Tai, only to have her freak out when she realises she doesn't know, and hasn't been to a class in months
It is a possibility. AFAIK, Tai has never mentioned her studies. Either she has dropped out (and the System is not aware of it yet), or she is hard at work, studying whenever she is not at the Library or with her friends. Either way, she does not want to involve her friends in this part of her life.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Tai is actually Marten's alter ego Fight Club style.

It's cute how concerned Claire is about not getting to work with Marten any more.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

It's cute how concerned Claire is about not getting to work with Marten any more.
Yes, but I guess this is the prelude to some shakeup. Tai may graduate and find another job (or be fired because she dropped out of her studies). Without Tai to protect him, Marten will be fired because he is not really qualified for his job (unless Claire gets Tai's job and continues to employ Marten). But I really think it is time for Marten to try to find another job. Then he could also start dating Emily  :-D

I like the "librarianing" term. It is Claire's dream job, as evident here.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I don't see how Marten isn't qualified for his job. He's a library assistant. He puts things on shelves, he uses a computer, he tidies up and tells people to stop messing around. What qualifications do you actually need for that?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I suspect that the job description likely requires a bachelor's degree in a related field, and his is not related.

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

I suspect that the job description likely requires a bachelor's degree in a related field, and his is not related.

Well, these these university library jobs seem to be a similar level to Marten's, and only require averageish school qualifications and no degree.

Though I suspect an applicant with no degree hasn't the proverbial snowball's in hell as there'll be avalanche of applications from unemployed graduates.  Including the unambitious who liked the student lifestyle and think a university job is a low-stress, ersatz way of continuing it.

I would say having an unrelated degree would be little hindrance to getting one of these jobs, though it would be a hindrance to being promoted to better jobs within the library.

Rhymeless

• Not quite a lurker

I think BH is correct. A lot of assistant librarian jobs where I live require at least an associate's degree (really, in library sciences? wha wha?) and the people with the title "Librarian" all carry bachelor's degrees.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

My wife is (for the past few years, but not much longer) the Deputy Director of a university library without any kind of librarianship qualification or experience....
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

*shrugs* Really it depends on who's hiring and what they do that determines requirements. I worked in a library once as an assistant through a temporary employment service. I never had any qualifications beyond 'able to understand basic English and take direction'. That was a research company's library though, not a public library or school library.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Marten is above the usual pay scale, which puts a target on his back the next time someone wants to cut the budget. The trustees can only protect him if they know about it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action

Marten's gonna be fired and end up an office bitch again. It's the only other job he has experience in and is therefore qualified for.

Hope he still has dress shirts, or at least polo shirts, and slacks.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Smallest

• Curry sauce

Several of my friends worked in the city library while they were in high school. There were two or three librarians, who were in charge and talked to visitors and stuff, then the teenagers would stock shelves and do chores. Marten doesn't have much bigger responsibilities than that (other than 'train interns' maybe), so it seems realistic to me.

Well, that has interesting implications about Dora.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

I frequently have the "I've been blowing off [obscure calculus class] the entire quarter and my wife won't let me see her notes so I'm going into the exam cold" dream.
Sometimes I ace the exam.
Sometimes a plane crashes on the exam room.
Usually I wake up in a cold sweat.

Let's step back and look at timeline... Marten's been in this job for only about a 18 mos in-comic, maybe 2 years. He's in his early 20s. This is still dues-paying territory for him, career-wise. Plenty of time for him to get noticed as That Guy At The Library Who Gets Tai's Shit Done So She Can Smoke Pot, Watch Adventure Time, And Dig Up Dirt On Trustees.

Besides, as much fun as it is to try to figure out Marten's prospects as a Professional and in his Career, we're kind of missing the point. Not to sound defeatist or anything, but Marten will get Initiative or a Big Break *When Jeph Wants To Tell That Story*. Jeph may never want to tell that story leaving Marten as a perpetual kind of man-child on the cusp...or Something will Happen.

Sorry, I'm feeling Title-Case-Ish today.

Devious Plot Twist: Marten goes to New York to be a PA (Production Assistant) on Angus' show. discuss?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Marten has an enormous advantage over applicants who do have a relevant degree though - he already has the job.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

Incumbency has its benefits.  :-D

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Can't be. Tai has spoken to other people than Marten.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

DrBear

• Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book

If there were an "other" on this poll, I would definitely choose "motivational speaker."

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2403
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

Dora is also Marten's alter ego. So is Faye. Everyone in QC is a figment of Marten's imagination. Marten has actually been in a coma in a hospital in Sacramento for the past ten years and QC is just a dream he's having.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch

Dora is also Marten's alter ego. So is Faye. Everyone in QC is a figment of Marten's imagination. Marten has actually been in a coma in a hospital in Sacramento for the past ten years and QC is just a dream he's having.

That is an interesting idea, and it would explain how this is all 20 minutes in to the future for some things but not others...

Questions, comments, queries , problems, bitches, rude gestures and/or remarks
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Also, Marten is Froglord's alter ego. I think I've said this before, but Froglord is almost certainly the distant ancestor to the Hypnotoad.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics

The final QC shows Vicki crying over her lost love as the family debates whether to pull the plug.  :psyduck:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Next Comic

Claire finally reveals her Sith powers.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome

Unfortunately Marten's real life persona is some Steven Segal character, who, upon awakening, will lumber around, seeking revenge on somebody or other, in an embarrassing action, because he doesn't have the martial arts chops anymore.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

The final QC shows Vicki crying over her lost love as the family debates whether to pull the plug.  :psyduck:

QC IS NOT ST ELSEWHERE.

Now, stop that. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Maybe St. Elsewhere is QC.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

QC IS NOT ST ELSEWHERE.

Now, stop that. 

Still waiting for them to tie Dragonball Z into St. Elsewhere, but it's a good start otherwise…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

How long has Marten (or an avatar thereof) worked at the library?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

thecaitycat

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I'd like to see Marten as an accidental life coach.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Oh god, I just looked at that and apparently he actually works at Smith College. I wonder if the Smif shirts are just a jokey thing even in-universe and it really is Smith!

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ASB84

Sounds like Marten's going to need at least four or five fancy beers.

TheEvilDog

Add the renting of a dapper Victorian suit to those fancy beers.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Wait, you have to pay for those outfits? I thought they came with the drinks.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Neither, they're available for the wearin' whenever the need arises. 

Which is why Hanners won't go near 'em. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

T

I'm not sure that's even a pun. One Claire out of five.  :claireface:

I was just pointing that he wrote "night mare" instead of "nightmare"

T

Machines took over the world and humans are in chambers living in simulations now. Pintsize is responsible for Marten's simulation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up