THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 07:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Weekend poll: what will Marten's next job NOT be?

Heavyweight boxer
- 7 (11.9%)
Heir to the family business
- 6 (10.2%)
Teaching Mandarin in Africa
- 6 (10.2%)
Investment banker
- 5 (8.5%)
Pro wrestler
- 7 (11.9%)
Longshoreman
- 5 (8.5%)
Artillery officer
- 8 (13.6%)
Motivational speaker
- 8 (13.6%)
Suffering sulfur succotash
- 7 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: 15 Sep 2014, 13:46

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2786-2790 (8-12 September 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 29186 times)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.

Guys, remember Momo works at the library now too. As a user-friendly interface to the library's databases. She's always courteous and helpful, in her self-appointed role as Ambassador to Meatfolk. If there's something she doesn't know, she can network with the larger AI community. In a rational universe, Tai would be canned in 5 seconds and Marten and his intern crew would be working for Momo.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

Oooorrr they don't fire Tai because she has been completely competent.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Doesn't Tai live in a dorm?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Oh god, I just looked at that and apparently he actually works at Smith College. I wonder if the Smif shirts are just a jokey thing even in-universe and it really is Smith!
IIRC Jeph explained that Smif is the QC-Verse equivalent of Smith. So In-Universe there is no Smith.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Tai was in a dorm early on but the place she took Dora looked like a house.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Yeah, but that was her friends place where the party was at/

I think it's more likely she crashes at Doras place now.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Oh god, I just looked at that and apparently he actually works at Smith College. I wonder if the Smif shirts are just a jokey thing even in-universe and it really is Smith!
Apparently calling Smith College "Smif" is so common in the real world that if you do a web search for "Smif College" you get results for Smith College, and if you go to Wikipedia and type in Smif it takes you to Smith College with a notice:
"Smif" redirects here. For the interface, see SMIF (interface).

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Oooorrr they don't fire Tai because she has been completely competent.

Oooooooorrr she has that much dirt. We've seen Tai work. If she was my employee and she didn't have black mail her ass would have been out the door before she ever met Marten-friend and company.

So today's strip might have just induced a minor panic attack into Marten. Which might be good. Catalyst for change upon realizing the closest thing he has to stability is in fact a house of cards on fire in a hurricane?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

More like The Gradubaked, eh Tai?

Tai's position has been left ambiguous all along. She's referred to being a TA, which would normally mean she was a grad. student working on a Master's, but at the beginning at least she was living in a dorm. So who knows what "graduation" she's talking about?

With regard to qualifications, let's not forget that Marten is a graduate, though not in Library Science. He has a degree in Music History & Critical Theory.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I find it interesting to see how employment laws in different countries shape people's attitudes towards Marten's job. Here in the UK, you can't just fire someone because you've decided someone else would be cheaper and equally competent.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Some SMIF library trivia:
  • There is a Board of Trustees formally responsible for the library. Two of the members appear in #1133 and #1134. In exchange for discretion, Marten got a 30% raise.
  • The LIBRARIANS are Tai's bosses. One of them, Old Gus, is mentioned in #2222. However, they seem not to take their job very seriously :mrgreen:
  • Tai is in practice running the library, basically having free reign (#2007), as long as she doesn't go over budget or burn the library down. The budget appears to be quite adequate. She can hire assistants on a whim, as she did with Marten in #691 and Momo in #2007.

SuctionCup Caper Two

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • SUCTION CUPS UNITE

I find it interesting to see how employment laws in different countries shape people's attitudes towards Marten's job. Here in the UK, you can't just fire someone because you've decided someone else would be cheaper and equally competent.

Ah here in the United States we have "At Will" employment.   Competence has nothing to do with anything -- it all comes down the whims of the person that has the authority to hire/fire.  This leads to some mighty F-ed up companies as you get the wrong sort making the decision and blamo.   

As for cost...  many companies won't hesitate to fire someone if they think they've found someone to do the job for a nickle cheaper. 

This depressing group of facts brought to you by Plastic-Fantastic Consulting Group.    :-\
MMM SUCTION CUPS

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Ah here in the United States we have "At Will" employment.   Competence has nothing to do with anything -- it all comes down the whims of the person that has the authority to hire/fire.  This leads to some mighty F-ed up companies as you get the wrong sort making the decision and blamo. 
Oh, it gets "better" than that.  A lot of times, they'll just force people to quit so they don't have to deal with paying unemployment.  So they'll do things like schedule people for hours that they can't work, or cut hours to the point where the employee would starve if they didn't start working somewhere else, and *then* initiate a scheduling conflict.  At more than one job I've been fired from, near the end, I'd get calls from the mangler saying that I was "an hour late", despite not being scheduled until three hours later, or suddenly changing the schedule after it was printed out so I'd get canned for "not showing up".
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

There are, however, some things you can't do to get rid of someone in the US. For example, a manager at a company I used to work for found out the hard way that you can't fire someone for taking too much sick leave when the sick leave was due to an on-the-job injury. Or at least, if that's why you're firing them, you shouldn't put it in writing. Which this idiot manager did. The company's lawyers advised settling the resulting lawsuit for a generous sum.

Oddly enough, the manager kept his job.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

More like The Gradubaked, eh Tai?

Tai's position has been left ambiguous all along. She's referred to being a TA, which would normally mean she was a grad. student working on a Master's, but at the beginning at least she was living in a dorm. So who knows what "graduation" she's talking about?

With regard to qualifications, let's not forget that Marten is a graduate, though not in Library Science. He has a degree in Music History & Critical Theory.

I've wondered before and I wonder again: Are we to understand Marten's degree to be in Music History & MUSICAL Critical Theory? Or a dual-major/concentration sort of thing in Music History and plain old Critical Theory. Because the latter, without a further modifier, suggests to me that half his major is in literary/social theorists like Foucault, Zizek, Lacan, Bloom, de Man, Derrida, Jameson, Edelman, etc., etc. Which I've never heard of someone getting a B.A. in specifically. I think you'd generally have to get a degree in English or Comp Lit for that stuff to even be on your radar.

So basically, does Marten have an English or at least Englishy degree?

Because if he does have a background in that, he's got options, believe it or not. I completed a B.A. in English during which I dabbled in theory and such, then took two years off to live in Northampton, tend bar, work on my writing skills, and hook up with Smith students -- then, BAM, I applied for and got a teaching fellowship that waived tuition for my Masters and paid a good enough stipend to live on.  As Much as Marten has the kind of degree that people imagine to be worthless in the "real world," it's very possible he could parlay it into something real and life-building. He might have abandoned his blog a bit too quickly, but at least he has shown aptitude for writing. Combine that with a B.A. in a relevant field, and you can find work.

Roborat

• Furry furrier

Speaking of art style, I like how Jeph carefully kept Tai's left elbow out of camera, so he didn't have to draw the star tattoo.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Speaking of art style, I like how Jeph carefully kept Tai's left elbow out of camera, so he didn't have to draw the star tattoo.

Please let this not be a sign he's gone Liefielding.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Nah, if he'd gone Liefield then Tai would have breasts bigger than the rest of her body. And much less clothing, the better to show off said breasts.

I don't even want to know how Liefield would draw Faye.  :psyduck:

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

I don't even want to know how Liefield would draw Faye.  :psyduck:
The universe is not large enough.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SuctionCup Caper Two

• SUCTION CUPS UNITE

There are, however, some things you can't do to get rid of someone in the US. For example, a manager at a company I used to work for found out the hard way that you can't fire someone for taking too much sick leave when the sick leave was due to an on-the-job injury. Or at least, if that's why you're firing them, you shouldn't put it in writing. Which this idiot manager did. The company's lawyers advised settling the resulting lawsuit for a generous sum.

Oddly enough, the manager kept his job.

In my case it was over a health-and-safety complaint.   A valid one -- please do not use my area to store cardboard and wood waste.    My machines at the time had electrical issues and were known to arc to ground and throw sparks.     A perfectly sane normal manager who had not developed a taste for hard liquor after sleeping her way to the top of the pecking order would have simply said "Absolutely right,  lets post a sign, put a rope across the area and enforce the rule that already exists. "

Instead, she fired me in writing... stating that she would not tolerate OSHA related threats and that the company did not believe that health and safety was a serious enough concern to warrant any investment in resources or time.      Needless to say OSHA had a field-day with that to the tune of $150,000 in fines.     My settlement was roughly twice that after the lawyer took his share.

Anyway,  I'm sure many of us have horror stories from both sides of the desk.    Maybe this would be a good spin-off-thread for another part of the forum.  ;)
MMM SUCTION CUPS

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

A lot of times, they'll just force people to quit so they don't have to deal with paying unemployment.
This tactic is quite popular in Australia too, despite our employment-protection laws. Basically it boils down to a "paperwork arms-race". Employers need to document your "failings" to avoid veering into "constructive dismissal" or "unfair dismissal" territory, and you need to document their unreasonable behaviour. Often, once you demonstrate your determination to, for example, photograph the schedule before you go home at the end of your shift every night, they go and find someone else to fire. It is the old "I don't need to outrun the bear; I only need to outrun you" situation.

I've wondered before and I wonder again: Are we to understand Marten's degree to be in Music History & MUSICAL Critical Theory?
Good question. Marten's never been one for literary references much. I don't know to what extent Critical Theory is/has been applied to music as well as literature. Then there is the difference between what you study, and what they put on your diploma/degree. Insofar as "early Marten" was, to some extent, based on Jeph Jaques himself, we should consider that he holds a degree in Music.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

IIRC Jeph explained that Smif is the QC-Verse equivalent of Smith. So In-Universe there is no Smith.
Yeah, but 691 has "Smith College" on the sign. Other than apparel (which like I said could be an in-universe joke), is there any canon mention of the school actually being called Smif?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I remember first finding the forums, and seeing SMF at the bottom of the page, thought "Smif" was a reference...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Simple Machines Internet Forum :parrot:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

T

I remember first finding the forums, and seeing SMF at the bottom of the page, thought "Smif" was a reference...
SadoMasochism Forum :veronicsface:

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Jesus's ass kind of looks like the Virgin Lincoln.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Hmm.  :?

Any fellow male here who would actually pass on looking at a cute ladies behind if they get an offer like that ?
Carpe Diem

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Yes, if it risked making the whole relationship awkward.

People may have many reasons to not accept an offer like that.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Doc

If the birthmark can do the Gettysburg speech I would like to see it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

If that could cause awkwardness, the piercing studio already would have.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

Any fellow male here who would actually pass on looking at a cute ladies behind if they get an offer like that ?

Wouldn't it be a potential sexual harassment situation?

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

If that could cause awkwardness, the piercing studio already would have.

Well, it did, didn't it? Marten did not seem very comfortable in that studio.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to feel awkward.

I do, I do!
What do you know about Pokémon?

KOK

Yes.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I do not get such offers, so I don't really know. That aside, Marten has seen Tai's private parts before. As Tai for obvious reasons is not on Marten's list of potential sexual partners, I guess he is just not very interested. If he wants to look at butts, the Internet is readily available.

Besides, what would happen if Dora came in while Marten was inspecting Tai's butt? I guess he thinks it is better to be on the safe side.

Another question is why Tai is happy to flash her private parts in front of Marten. Tai is supposed to be exclusively lesbian, so why is she comfortable doing it?

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'd look, I'm a history person.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!

Another question is why Tai is happy to flash her private parts in front of Marten. Tai is supposed to be exclusively lesbian, so why is she comfortable doing it?
I've known a few women who were quite comfortable with casual nudity around men they trusted.  Some people just have looser boundaries than others.

KOK

Maybe for that very reason? She does not find the situation sexually loaded at all.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I think the more important question is why you think nudity, or even bare skin, is inherently sexual enough that being so around someone who isn't of the gender you fancy should be enough cause for a third party to question your orientation?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

KOK

Tai was in a dorm early on but the place she took Dora looked like a house.

Yeah, but that was her friends place where the party was at/

I think it's more likely she crashes at Doras place now.

I don't think so. Dora agrees to walk her home. And Dora picks her up there for their first date. This is where she lives.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I think the more important question is why you think nudity, or even bare skin, is inherently sexual enough that being so around someone who isn't of the gender you fancy should be enough cause for a third party to question your orientation?
I am not sure I understand your argument. My assumption was that a lesbian would not be comfortable with causing sexual arousal in a male. It may be because Tai and Marten are good friends, and Tai thinks he is not sexually interested in her. Still, Marten is a hetero male, and may think otherwise. Just check strip #1250.

It may also be just the way Tai normally behaves. She has done this before.

TheEvilDog

Not when you're in the workplace and not when the lady in question is your supervisor, which would be highly unprofessional. And such behaviour can be construed as sexual harassment by Tai towards Marten. Which is also highly unprofessional.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine

As a gay female, I would not pass up the offer to see a cute lady's behind, but I am not Marten. Marten has much different boundaries when it comes to nudity and related activities than I do.  I am also decidedly unprofessional, at least when it comes to coworkers I am friendly with. If it was a customer, the rules would be different. I am extremely professional when it comes to clients.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I would probably pass on seeing someone's bottom in that context even if I'd be very happy to see it in another, more private, context.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

...yeah, my answer would probably be "maybe later". 

Knowing full well that a dedicated stoner like Tai would forget. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

@KOK

K

"Honest Abe my ass."
"Exactly!!"
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class

I'm wondering if the birthmark is Lincoln in profile, or Lincoln as he appears at his memorial.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado

Or maybe Claire came to the library on her day off to see Marten.

Stoon

I had the opposite problem as Claire once.  I came into my usual shift on my part time job and I was told "Did you know you've been AWOL for 2 days?"  They gave me a temporary full time position, but no one bothered to tell me.  I was irritated because everybody assumed I'd take it, which I did because I needed the money, but was irritated because no one bothered to be polite enough to ask me if I wanted it.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Tai! No bullying the interns!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Maybe Tai is just being "protective" of Marten.  I've had people from friends to cow-orkers, to exes try to "protect" me from people they didn't think would make a good fit.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up