THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Weekend poll: what will Marten's next job NOT be?

Heavyweight boxer
- 7 (11.9%)
Heir to the family business
- 6 (10.2%)
Teaching Mandarin in Africa
- 6 (10.2%)
Investment banker
- 5 (8.5%)
Pro wrestler
- 7 (11.9%)
Longshoreman
- 5 (8.5%)
Artillery officer
- 8 (13.6%)
Motivational speaker
- 8 (13.6%)
Suffering sulfur succotash
- 7 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: 15 Sep 2014, 13:46

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2786-2790 (8-12 September 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 29532 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Ah, but they'll leave him hanging by never calling him back...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

...dresses are nerdy now?

This dress, maybe...

Tai just called her a nerd. Doubtless it's still on her mind.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

This dress, maybe...

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Claire in that dress... Then again, I consider nerdiness to be a big plus on the attractiveness scale.
What do you know about Pokémon?

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Quote from: Marten
Some of us are going to a bar tonight.
Finally, we are getting out of the library. I look forward to this. The question is, who are going?
  • Marten
  • Claire
  • Faye
  • Dora? (Probably, as Faye's friend)
  • Tai? (Possibly, as Dora's girlfriend)
  • Steve? (Probably not invited, but he always shows up because of his bro sense)
  • Cosette? (Probably not, someone has to work at CoD)
  • Emily?? (If so, did Marten invite her?)
  • Sven??? (Definitely not invited, but he may be at the Horrible Revelation anyway)
This cannot possibly go wrong :mrgreen:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

Oh dear GOD, if Sven is at the HR visiting Wil, and Dora walks in...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Barmymoo

• Mentat

CoD surely isn't open ALL the time, Cosette may well not be there but surely she won't be working. Do we actually know what time the shop opens and closes?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

The plot thickens! Come Watson! The game is afoot!
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB

Claire's reaction is making me mad at the imagined person in her head calling her a nerd for wearing a dress. I hope she has fun at the bar, seems like she's not having the best day.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

CoD surely isn't open ALL the time, Cosette may well not be there but surely she won't be working. Do we actually know what time the shop opens and closes?
I do not think we have ever seen the opening hours. I would guess they open early (around 6 A.M.?) in the morning on weekdays, to cater for the coffee-thirsty people going to work. Then there is another rush during lunchtime, and finally when people are finished at work in the afternoon. But do they keep open in the evenings? I cannot remember seeing a night-time scene at CoD, but my guess is they would keep open until 10 P.M. or thereabouts.

During week-ends, I guess they would open around 9 A.M, and stay open until late, to cater for people going home from restaurants or cinemas.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Interesting, I guess I'd see pubs as filling those needs (evening opening times) but they don't really exist in the USA. Most cafes close at 6 here.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

I do not think we have ever seen the opening hours. I would guess they open early (around 6 A.M.?) in the morning on weekdays, to cater for the coffee-thirsty people going to work. Then there is another rush during lunchtime, and finally when people are finished at work in the afternoon. But do they keep open in the evenings? I cannot remember seeing a night-time scene at CoD, but my guess is they would keep open until 10 P.M. or thereabouts.

During week-ends, I guess they would open around 9 A.M, and stay open until late, to cater for people going home from restaurants or cinemas.

When Faye was negotiating with Padma about a Coffee/Pastry swap, she noted a 7AM opening time except on Weekends.

When Jim had to drop off Samantha for an unexpected...whatever, he noted that Coffee of Doom opened well into the night.

And here is the rare instance of Coffee of Doom at night.

HAVE A NICE DAY.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.

This dress, maybe...
What?

That dress is magnificent.
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2014, 07:13 by Somnus Eternus »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

*looks at the Zelda dress* To the cosplay room!

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

*pulls out a bandoleer of sewing needles and various threads* Did someone say cosplay!?
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Interesting, I guess I'd see pubs as filling those needs (evening opening times) but they don't really exist in the USA.
*cough* We have plenty of pubs *cough*.  Granted, most of the good ones are in Irish neighbourhoods, but even now, I can still claim to have a good local (even though their whisky selection kinda sucks, which forces me to go to another pub).  The main downside to the town I live in now is that bartenders aren't given comp tabs, so I don't get as much free booze as I used to in SF.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

What will Marten's next job be?

Rock god
    - 1 (1.5%)
Office bitch
    - 7 (10.3%)
Music critic
    - 7 (10.3%)
Music tutor
    - 15 (22.1%)
Coffee critic
    - 3 (4.4%)
Life coach
    - 4 (5.9%)
Punching bag
    - 13 (19.1%)
Barista
    - 5 (7.4%)
Fossilized phosphorus fox
    - 13 (19.1%)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

I can still claim to have a good local (even though their whisky selection kinda sucks, which forces me to go to another pub).

If you have to go to another pub to get a whiskey you like, then that isn't a good local.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker

@cesariojpn: Impressive archive-fu. Thank you.

I don't feel good about it, I couldn't find the one where Faye threw stale muffins at homeless bums with Angus.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

TheEvilDog

Although neither that comic nor the following Faye/Angus comic reveal any information about what time CoD closes. Just reveals that Faye likes to assault street musicians with baked goods and possibly has an effect on time-dilation.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I can still claim to have a good local (even though their whisky selection kinda sucks, which forces me to go to another pub).

If you have to go to another pub to get a whiskey you like, then that isn't a good local.
Well, I usually just drink ales or Bombay Sapphire tonics, since I rarely have the money for good whisky.  My local *does* have a decent variety of the Irish whiskeys and bourbons, but since I'm more of a fan of the Japanese or Scottish stuff, on the rare occasions that I have the dosh, I basically have the choice of Laphroaig 10 or migrating.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Well, I usually just drink ales or Bombay Sapphire tonics, since I rarely have the money for good whisky.  My local *does* have a decent variety of the Irish whiskeys and bourbons, but since I'm more of a fan of the Japanese or Scottish stuff, on the rare occasions that I have the dosh, I basically have the choice of Laphroaig 10 or migrating.

You poor thing! If you should ever happen to be in Oslo, Norway, let me know, and I'll introduce you to my extensive collection of rare Scotch!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

I might never leave then.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

Can I come? I suddenly find myself pining for the fjords.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Barmymoo

• Mentat

My experience of Oslo is, I admit, somewhat limited, but I did not see any fjords when I was there.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Indeed, one would think you'd see more Strřmmens Vćrksteds, or perhaps Trolls.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?

Can I come? I suddenly find myself pining for the fjords.
Do Norwegians pine for the fjords too, or just the fir-riners?

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

My experience of Oslo is, I admit, somewhat limited, but I did not see any fjords when I was there.

You did not arrive by ferry, then.
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Oslo is, actually, at the very end of the Oslo Fjord. But this fjord isn't quite like the ones tourists think of - the beautiful fjords with steep mountains on all sides are mostly found on the west coast. The Oslo Fjord is surrounded by flat farmlands, some forests and a few towns, mostly, and doesn't come off as breathtaking as the western ones.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Relevant here: I'm not totally sure what a fjord is.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

A fjord is a narrow inlet on the coast, most commonly formed by receding glaciers after an ice age. Basicly it's a narrow valley which is partially submerged. Most fjords are in arctic regions, and they're very common in Western Scandinavia.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

And dead parrots rather like them.

katsmeat

• Furry furrier

A fjord is a narrow inlet on the coast, most commonly formed by receding glaciers after an ice age. Basicly it's a narrow valley which is partially submerged. Most fjords are in arctic regions, and they're very common in Western Scandinavia.

All credit to Slartibartfast; the man did good work.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

The Oslo Fjord is probably more like a Förde then. Kiel lies at the end of the Kieler Förde, which was created by the ice age, but is not geologically considered a Fjord, same as the Oslo Fjord.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

All credit to Slartibartfast; the man did good work.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

And dead parrots rather like them.

Apropos of nothing, but I suddenly think i would have liked to see Robin Williams and John Cleese together in a movie: "Dead Parrots Society."
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

The Oslo Fjord is probably more like a Förde then. Kiel lies at the end of the Kieler Förde, which was created by the ice age, but is not geologically considered a Fjord, same as the Oslo Fjord.

Yeah, the Oslo Fjord is longer and (I think) deeper, but it's the same kind of geographical feature.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Förde is just the German form of the word fjord. A fjord is an inlet, narrow relative to the length it goes inland, as opposed to a bay, which has a softer curve. When used in English, it is often implied that it is bordered by rock cliffs. The Norwegian ones usually are, while e.g. the German ones are not.
You're cute when you're reasonable.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up