Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Format  (Read 3386 times)

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Format
« on: 12 Sep 2014, 18:40 »

I just wanted to weigh in on the newer format.  I've given it some time to see if I like it, but I have to say I don't.

What am I talking about?

The comic has always been 4 panels (in general), one on top of the other.  Lately, it's been 4 panels, arranged 2 above and 2 below, so instead of

O
O
O
O

we have

OO
OO

I have to say I'm finding the new setup kind of claustrophobic.  Everything seems smaller and cramped in.
I don't know if it matters to anyone else, but I thought I'd mention it.

:claireface:
Claire, just cuz.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
Re: Format
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2014, 18:55 »

I dunno, it seems fine to me.  I hardly noticed the switch.  Maybe it's so that in the future, QC books will be easier to lay out, cuz the comics are page-shaped now. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 13 Sep 2014, 16:51 »

I have no issues with it.  I read several other Comics that have varying setups/designs so I guess I'm just used to switching between them..
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #3 on: 13 Sep 2014, 19:18 »

I think Orky has it. I find no issue with it either, tbh. I take more issue with the white bordering, but that's hardly noticeable either.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

ASB84

« Reply #4 on: 13 Sep 2014, 20:35 »

I don't mind it too much, but I do find that I occasionally spoil the fourth panel/punchline with the way it's currently laid out. I do kind of feel like the old layout flowed a little better, but I guess it's just a matter of getting used to this one.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2014, 19:57 »

The old format was almost ideal for smartphones, but these eyes find the books close to unreadable without a magnifier. I imagine whatever volume the news format ends up in will be much more readable, as speculated up-thread.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2014, 19:59 »

I would like the outlines back on the bubbles, though.  I find it hard to follow the ... curls (?) that direct the speech to the speaker.  Hasn't been much of an issues yet, but...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #7 on: 17 Sep 2014, 02:36 »

I would like the outlines back on the bubbles, though.  I find it hard to follow the ... curls (?) that direct the speech to the speaker.  Hasn't been much of an issues yet, but...
They seem to be back tonight (2793).

I think it's good that Jeph experiments, even though having to fit his comic into computers, tablets, phones etc. must constrain him more than comic artists who aim at one screen format, or even on paper.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #8 on: 17 Sep 2014, 08:54 »

I like the new format, all it really cuts out is empty background space. If he needs more space he just elongates the panels to fit the page again.  Honestly I always thought the old way he did the comic was an anomaly, I've never seen another comic laid out vertically like that.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2014, 02:13 »

Which was why I liked it.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2014, 05:08 »

The only thing bothering me is that there's far less dialogue in the new format. There often used to be multiple replies in a single panel, now it's usually just one. And the text is shorter.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2014, 05:43 »

So - boss has wandered through again, I see.

"Jeph Jacques's Comic Discussion Forum."

I take it that he is getting ready to add his new comic to these forumae?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2014, 06:33 »

That was me.  I don't actually know what Jeph plans; but on the basis that minimum effort is most likely (he's hardly going to set up a new forum in parallel after the trouble this one has given him in the past on its own!), I'm preparing for this forum to handle the new comic as well (that wasn't the only change).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2014, 10:37 »

Please change it to “Jacques'”; the "s's" is making my grammar-lobe spasm. Please?
Unless you really meant to imply that there are a lot of him, in which case it should be "Jephs Jacques", but I wasn't aware the Patreon funds were going towards a clone to take on the extra workload?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2014, 11:31 »

At some point in the last 30 years the standard for forming the possessive of a word ending in "s" appears to have changed from "s' " to "s's". Which I, personally, find extremely grating, but it's like fighting the tide.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2014, 15:00 »

I have always used "Hodges's", writing it the same way as I say it. if Jeph wants it changed he will tell me or (more likely) just do it.

I will also cite The Oxford Guide to Style (formerly Hart's Rules) which says:
Use 's after non-classical or non-classicizing personal names ending in an s or z sound:

Charles's    Marx's           Dickens's    Leibnitz's
Onassis's    Zacharias's    Collins's      Tobias's

At some point in the last 30 years the standard for forming the possessive of a word ending in "s" appears to have changed from "s' " to "s's".

The rule has never been that simple - it takes up three pages in the cited work.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep 2014, 15:22 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #16 on: 02 Oct 2014, 09:28 »

The only thing bothering me is that there's far less dialogue in the new format. There often used to be multiple replies in a single panel, now it's usually just one. And the text is shorter.

that's just me getting better at writing
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

SteveCostello

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #17 on: 02 Oct 2014, 10:34 »

On thing that may help on the format front... instead of the comic image being one giant panel, each frame gets its own container. Then, depending on screen size, the comic frames either go 2 x2 like they are now, or for smaller screens, get stacked in a 1 x 4. All of this is relatively easy to do with a bit o' CSS targeted at a few different screen size breakpoints using media queries.

Just a thought from a web geek.
Pages: [1]   Go Up