THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Something we haven't had in a while: MOMENT OF THE WEEK!

The Dressing Montage!
- 2 (3.6%)
This bar has DARTS!
- 0 (0%)
#2 cause of facial piercings - #1 is booze itself.
- 0 (0%)
"IF YOU ARE DRUNK WE WILL NOT PIERCE YOU" signs all over town.
- 0 (0%)
They WILL let you BOOK AN APPOINTMENT. And not waste your deposit...
- 1 (1.8%)
Marten's responsible for no shameful piercings... "I'll need a $60 deposit first."
- 1 (1.8%)
Claire enters the bar! "'Sup Red, pull up a stool."
- 1 (1.8%)
It's bolted to the floor! (So they can't be used as weapons.)
- 0 (0%)
I LOVE THIS BAR!
- 0 (0%)
Old books and huge dust plumes? IT IS MY GREATEST LIBRARY ANXIETY
- 3 (5.5%)
"That's not what your wife told me when she was here this morning!"
- 0 (0%)
A Jukebox that has Derek and the Dominos and Einstuerzende Neubauten?
- 1 (1.8%)
Two different crowds or a sign of violent schizophrenia.
- 1 (1.8%)
I win! You gotta give me a piggyback ride! (Aw man.)
- 5 (9.1%)
Faye wasn't so sure about Claire at first, but she's okay in her book.
- 1 (1.8%)
So how long have you had a crush on Marty?
- 31 (56.4%)
Claire has a sudden drinking problem.
- 8 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2791-2795 (15-19 September 2014) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 59748 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

The first time I heard of Einstürzende Neubauten was in the late '80s in Time Magazine (or maybe Newsweek... some run-of-the-mill newsweekly at any rate), of all places. They'd sent a reporter to a gig that the band had done in the parking lot of a supermarket, complete with mic'ed shopping carts and slabs of meat. You could tell the writer was a bit nonplussed by the whole thing.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

Edit:  Also, Jeph, typing umlauts isn't that difficult on a Mac.  Neither is ß.
Opt-u and Opt-s respectively, yes. But to type the umlaut in Einstürzend Neubauten in a speech-balloon would imply that Dora was actually pronouncing the band's name as would be correct in German. Come on English-speakers, 'fess up; how many of you pronounce it as recommended here? Next you'll be telling me that you pronounce correctly 窒息 (zhěxī) and 撕裂 (sīlič). :P
(click to show/hide)

NSW drivers licences don't carry a gender marker on the licence card itself, but I believe that the records held for each driver on the RTA's computer system do. I don't know at what stage in legal transitioning that can be changed. It obviously has potential for trouble if a police officer or RTA official is not professional.

Edit: Fixed misattributed quote.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2014, 06:12 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

That doesn't sound like it was recorded by a native speaker. Here's an MP3 of how I pronounce it.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

A Claire walks in a bar...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Opt-u and Opt-s respectively, yes. But to type the umlaut in Einstürzend Neubauten in a speech-balloon would imply that Dora was actually pronouncing the band's name as would be correct in German. Come on English-speakers, 'fess up; how many of you pronounce it as recommended
*Cough* I do, and it wasn't just the year of German I took.  And to his credit, Jeph *did* bother to spell out the name in the normal English transliteration.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Right. I don't mind this transliteration. I would have minded a simple substitution of ü by u.
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

All I know is that in Ode to Joy, that bit where the chorus chant the word "brüüüder," it's impossible for me not to hear "breeder."
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Everyone prepared for a Friday Special?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I wonder what that blue stuff Hanners is drinking is. (Please nobody say water, because that is a boring answer)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

it's the cleanest of all the beverages!

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

I wonder what that blue stuff Hanners is drinking is. (Please nobody say water, because that is a boring answer)

I wondered that myself. Also Claire is drinking something red - I'm surprised she hasn't become a dedicated scotch drinker after her awakening at the wedding.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TheEvilDog

Carbonated water.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

The bits of white suggest either ice or carbonation, possibly both.  The glass looks like a short - short gin and tonic, maybe?  This bar looks like the kind of place that wouldn't put a lime in.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm looking at the glasses, I'm wondering what kind of bar has both Hannelore's glass and Claire's.  They both look like short glasses, but two different styles of short glasses.  In any case, since I noticed the stir, I think I can say confidently Claire has a Cape Cod.  That, or Claire decided this wasn't a bar she wanted to be drunk in and got a cranberry juice, and it's policy to serve non-alcoholic drinks in that style glass.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!

I'm guessing Claire's drink is a vodka cranberry. As for why she isn't drinking scotch, I don't think she cam afford the good stuff on an intern's salary.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TheEvilDog

The bits of white suggest either ice or carbonation, possibly both.  The glass looks like a short - short gin and tonic, maybe?  This bar looks like the kind of place that wouldn't put a lime in.

EDIT: Actually, now that I'm looking at the glasses, I'm wondering what kind of bar has both Hannelore's glass and Claire's.  They both look like short glasses, but two different styles of short glasses.  In any case, since I noticed the stir, I think I can say confidently Claire has a Cape Cod.  That, or Claire decided this wasn't a bar she wanted to be drunk in and got a cranberry juice, and it's policy to serve non-alcoholic drinks in that style glass.

By the looks of the glasses, Hanners has a rocks glass, typically used for cocktails served with ice. The wide body would allow the ice to be stirred easily enough without damaging the flavour of the cocktail. They're also typically used for strong spirits (as often served without ice as they are with), whereby the open neck of the glass would allow the drinker to fully enjoy the aroma of the drink, which is often as enjoyable as the drink itself.

Claire appears to have a Collins glass, which serve a similar function as a champagne flute (usually to keep the bubbles in a drink flowing). Often served with ice and mainly used for sweeter drinks rather than spirits.

So at a rough guess, I'm going to say that if Hanners is having an alcoholic drink, it's most likely an Absolut Reddy or Brazilian Heather. That's just going by it's "clear". As for Claire, I imagine she has some variation of a Seabreeze or Bloody Mary.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I'm gonna go with: Claire's glass is a bar glass. Hanners brought her own.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

That was not me.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

KOK

I don't see any glasses. Actually I only see the Thursday comic. Is thwere some way to make the Friday comic appear?

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

It hasn't been posted yet. They're talking about the drinking glasses.

Okay, so now that the Scottish independence referendum is over I'd like the comic so I can go to sleep…
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2014, 22:12 by ankhtahr »

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Why'd you stay up all night for that? Quick googling yesterday had told me the results wouldn't be available until roughly now anyway.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

Ah, there's the drama bomb we all have been waiting for!

Loki: The local results were being announced as they were done, so from about 1:00 am on there have been constant announcements. I've been listening to BBC Radio Scotland the whole night, and their report was really good. I learnt a lot about politics in the UK and Scotland this night.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Not much of a bomb - just drunken insight. 

The truth is often a bit of a shock...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Ah, I had no idea they would announce results as early as that.

@comic: Oh boy...
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

KOK

It hasn't been posted yet. They're talking about the drinking glasses.

Obviously drinking glasses. I somehow managed to miss the glasses in the first panel. The first thing to go blind is your eyes, as the saying goes in these parts.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN

I like the detail in this comic. It's great how Claire's pupils become narrow suddenly.

ASB84

Well...to be perfectly honest, I was hoping that Steve would get wasted and emotional after just two beers, and finally reveal his surname.

But this is an interesting development too.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

(Kosh voice)
And so it begins
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

I need a picture of Hannelore squeeing, because Eeeeeeeeeee!

Edit-Calling Cereal for monday.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Auramis

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

*Steeples fingers.* We were waiting for this.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

Neither is ß.
Is eszet or eszett preferred?  I see both lots of places.

ẞß

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker

And Faye goes in for the kill.... :D

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

Back to old school QC: awkward romantic entanglements and Marten not having picked up on any of it.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Indeed. Faye has remarkable telepathic talent. Or perhaps just a little intuition. Claire will be devastated, because there is no way she is going to admit this, either to herself or to others. She will proceed to get very drunk, and will need to be carried to Marten and Faye's sofa, before finally barfing in Marten's lap.

Vincent Adultman

• Not quite a lurker
  • "I did a business!"

I'm gonna go with "pretty much the whole fuckin' time," Faye.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Romulan Ale

Annd Jeph uses the Norden Bombsight.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

They forgot to invite Emily to the bar. I miss her. Sometimes Jeph leaves us hanging for a very long time before resolving a storyline. There might be a catfight between Claire and Emily in the future, although I rather hope not. Poor Marten might be forced to make a choice, which he is not very good at.

Carl-E

• Awakened

Emily wasn't there on her day off. 

neurocase

• Furry furrier

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Tonic drink under a black light.  We already know that Hanners is a fan of gin.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

I'm gonna go with "pretty much the whole fuckin' time," Faye.

Nah, she wasn't particularly impressed with him when they met and he was all, "Hi I'm totally unqualified for your dream job." It had to develop some time after that. Maybe around the time he was so chill about her letting him in on her secret? That's my guess.

Regarding today's comic: WELP

Warning - while you were typing a new WELP has been WELPed. You may wish to WELP your WELP.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH

Indeed. Faye has remarkable telepathic talent. Or perhaps just a little intuition.

I'd say just simple observation skills..! Claire is naďve and has that young adult crush vibe happening..

KOK

Indeed. Faye has remarkable telepathic talent. Or perhaps just a little intuition. Claire will be devastated, because there is no way she is going to admit this, either to herself or to others. She will proceed to get very drunk, and will need to be carried to Marten and Faye's sofa, before finally barfing in Marten's lap.

Horrible Regurgitations?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

IT'S HAPPENING!

15 pages by Monday?

And, there's a tiny part of me wondering if Claire thinks the idea's absurd and that's why she's spit-taking, but no, I'm pretty sure Faye got it in one. It is kinda obvious with how she carries herself around Marten, really, and her going at 33,600 backpedals per second when she seemingly almost admitted her feelings for Marten in 2785.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Hm I'm not sure, it could go either way here. She might deny, she might admit it and say "but he's not interested in me", she might say "I do like him but I don't want to be involved with anyone at the moment, I'm focusing on my studies and internship" or something. I hope she goes with the latter, to be honest.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Honestly, I'm thinking the latter is what she tells herself.

And, she's almost certainly got a lot more to be anxious about than I do, and things like that are what I tell myself as an excuse for my anxiety, as a "meh, it's not worth it anyway" kind of thing. And, no, that kind of thing isn't being honest with myself, but it's better than triggering multiple-month-long panic attacks, like what's happened in the past. (Although, she's in treatment for her anxiety, which may help, and I'm not in treatment for mine...)

anahata

• Never knowingly understood

Faye has remarkable telepathic talent. Or perhaps just a little intuition.

And/or she remembers Marten telling her about the cuddling incident - a good clue, if she wished to interpret it that way.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Fenriswolf

That doesn't sound like it was recorded by a native speaker. Here's an MP3 of how I pronounce it.
OK, I hope it's not too creepy to say you have a nice voice.

Also, Akima, I wish I could pronounce any Chinese languages - I can get at least passable in German, but I just can't hear what I'm doing wrong except knowing it's wrong in anything at all tonal (we had a couple of cats who stayed in the cattery I worked in called Xing Xing and I think it was Jin Jin but that's not coming up as a name - anyway, it always bothered me knowing I said it wrong. :( )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Apparently, when really fucking drunk, I can pronounce Mandarin quite well (tones and all).  I found that out where a cute Chinese-American goth girl tried to teach me bits of the language, and was surprised that I nailed at the first try.  Sadly, I had a gf at the time, and also, in my state, forgot the lessons on languages.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up