THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 220677 times)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Unless the Cintiq has brought changes, Jeph works in Photoshop, which is decidedly not vector. Hell, it killed'er.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

iandanger

• Emoticontraindication

Gah the negativity, Marten is hung over and maybe wasn't fully aware of his feelings or intending to act on them because of the whole intern thing, but let's be real, he likes her, this isn't foreboding!

*claps hands*

Aside: my confirmation email went to my spam folder so I missed it when it was appropriate earlier, but it's good to know Warhammer references are occurring in this thread before I even got here.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

Unless the Cintiq has brought changes, Jeph works in Photoshop, which is decidedly not vector.
I thought he worked in Illustrator for some reason, but the about page does say Photoshop for the actual art...

Smallest

• Curry sauce

And, re: yesterday's comic... I feel sorry for Momo, especially if Angus moves out and moves to NYC. I wouldn't be surprised if Dale moves in, and then that means that she has to deal with the constant fucking and May all the time.

On the other hand, Momo and May could share a room! All kinds of wacky hijinks and heartwarming friendship.

HES

• Emoticontraindication
  • Rhymes with Fez

He's not in a bad place, he's just in a pancakeless place. Wait for it.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

oh I GET it! Claire is the kind of brash, verbally aggressive girl Marten is inclined to be attracted to — but she specifically can't be sexually assertive with him the way Dora, Padma and Delilah were, for reasons that totally work with and not against her character.

Which means that for the first time in ever, Marten can't just go with the flow. He is going to have to figure out what he wants. And then act on it. Character growth imminent!

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

oh I GET it! Claire is the kind of brash, verbally aggressive girl Marten is inclined to be attracted to — but she specifically can't be sexually assertive with him the way Dora, Padma and Delilah were, for reasons that totally work with and not against her character.

Which means that for the first time in ever, Marten can't just go with the flow. He is going to have to figure out what he wants. And then act on it. Character growth imminent!

Or he can keep being mopey.  That's always an option.   :-P

CUBErt

• Not quite a lurker
  • :V

Well.

Shit.

That doesn't look like a particularly welcoming sign.
Plays Minecraft and eats chocolate mhmm mhmm.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.

I don't think Claire is that brash or verbally agressive. I'm not saying she is a doormat, but she just isn't an in your face person.

but I think the fact that Marten might have to specifically figure out what he wants in regard to this relationship and talk it over with Claire might be a very good thing.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

So Marten's going to make giant pancakes and put them on an alarming amount of bunny for Claire?
Giant bunny? Robot or genetically engineered you choose!

Also, the fact that Marten's sleeping in his own bed tells me that Claire went home.

Or she never came with him to begin...  :psyduck:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Also, the fact that Marten's sleeping in his own bed tells me that Claire went home.

She could be sleeping on the couch, y'know.

I think it's more "where do I go from here?"

Or, "Okay, I feel like an elf pooped on my tongue. Sort out the hangover first, and the rest after."
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Quote from: Akima
Love and pancakes, love and pancakes,
Go together like Kubrick and retakes
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete

I don't think Claire is that brash or verbally agressive. I'm not saying she is a doormat, but she just isn't an in your face person.

Yeah I just disagree about that. She got right in Marten's face when she felt like he wasn't taking their job orientation seriously, when they first met; got in Tai's face about her relationship with Dora before she had all the details. If chewing out both your bosses in your first week on the job doesn't make you a firebrand, what does?

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

It's Marten we're talking about here, that's not his style at all.

(Although, apparently Faye was sleeping on the couch for quite a while...)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

It's Marten we're talking about here, that's not his style at all.

(Although, apparently Faye was sleeping on the couch for quite a while...)

So has Hanners, countless times. I'm also not sure how that strip suggests she wouldn't be sleeping on the couch. Sure, they fell asleep in the same bed after the wedding, but they were both drunk and exhausted; this time, only he was. Besides, having been asked to wait on the impending kiss (or whatever happened a few comics back), I can't see him then asking her to come to bed (even platonically) with him. He's more respectful than that.

ETA: Sorry, caught it this time. I missed the line about the cot first time out.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

No, I'm saying that Marten would be sleeping on the couch if Claire stayed, letting Claire sleep in his bed. He's sleeping in his own bed, ergo, Claire didn't stay.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Yeah I just disagree about that. She got right in Marten's face when she felt like he wasn't taking their job orientation seriously, when they first met; got in Tai's face about her relationship with Dora before she had all the details. If chewing out both your bosses in your first week on the job doesn't make you a firebrand, what does?

She's diffident except for when certain things turn her crank: Taking librarianizing seriously, and threats to a relationship. Both very important to her. Yes, it's possible for people to be like that. Either you need a certain level of stimulus/interest/outrage to get you going, or you're just the type that doesn't think every fight is worth getting into. Passionate about certain topics to the point of confrontation? Possible. Firebrand? Not necessarily.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Thedrd0nna

• Plantmonster
  • Not actually a doctor

Honestly, this could go any old which way. That expression he's got is really anywhere, from dispassionate "huh" to "Well this is huge". I don't think this strip could really be said to advance any of the theories people have had.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB

Oh, so now comes pages and pages of Marten figuring out his feelings.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Yeah. And then back to the Sven/Dora storyline, then back to Faye and Angus, then Dale and Marigold, a dash of Pintsize shenanigans, some cereal, a liberal helping of Yelling Bird, the return of Wil and Penelope, some Tai and Dora developments, then another Claire/Marten cliffhanger around Thanksgiving, with more indecision when the comic resumes, followed by another visit to the space station, a visit with Jimbo, May's parole violation, and then another Claire/Marten cliffhanger right before Christmas leading to more indecision in the New Year. :P

reicreature

• Larger than most fish

Goodness me! I was all prepared for at least two more AI days before plunging back into relationship stuff.
We still have a lot of weeks to go before Turkey Day after all.

Not that I'm complaining!

This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

On an unrelated note, who here watched The End of Evangelion?
Marten and the rest of the cast turn into Tang! (or whatever orange coloured drink suits one's fancy)

Fixed the tags - B
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2014, 00:52 by Barmymoo »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Yeah. And then back to the Sven/Dora storyline, then back to Faye and Angus, then Dale and Marigold, a dash of Pintsize shenanigans, some cereal, a liberal helping of Yelling Bird, the return of Wil and Penelope, some Tai and Dora developments, then another Claire/Marten cliffhanger around Thanksgiving, with more indecision when the comic resumes, followed by another visit to the space station, a visit with Jimbo, May's parole violation, and then another Claire/Marten cliffhanger right before Christmas leading to more indecision in the New Year. :P

You're right about everything but the pacing.  With that much stuff going on it will probably be more like a year and a half until there is any resolution.   :psyduck:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

You're right about everything but the pacing.  With that much stuff going on it will probably be more like a year and a half until there is any resolution.   :psyduck:

You could squeeze it into roughly six months. Which brings us, roughly, to strip 3000. I'm calling it now. :P

RyanW1019

• Larger than most fish
  • PARALYSIS BY ANALYSIS

Oh boy.

At the risk of generalizing from 3 panels, Marten's reaction to remembering last night's events is not altogether positive. To me, it's less of a "We need to talk about what happened last night, because I think there are mutual feelings of attraction" than it is a "I can't believe last night happened, I would not have done that if I were sober." Which is kind of sad to me, because I had hoped that Marten was sober enough to truly want to be with Claire (as opposed to his flirting being a drunk impulse).

However, it's still up in the air whether Marten's flirting last night was him acting upon impulses he'd been having while sober or just beer goggles.

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

On an unrelated note, who here watched The End of Evangelion?
Marten and the rest of the cast turn into Tang! (or whatever orange coloured drink suits one's fancy)
Just realized that Hannelore character development is like Evangelion backwards. Hannelore starts a wreck and slowly becomes more and more stable while Evangelion characters start relatively normal and them go to a terrible emotional train wreck.

At least the orignal series, we still have to see what will happen in the rebuild.

Fixed these tags also - it's an epidemic! - B
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2014, 00:52 by Barmymoo »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!

Gawds (mods), this is totally OT, but EVERYONE in the originally Evangelion series was fucked up.  Shinji was a whinging brat who only got worse, Rei was almost emotionless 'cept for her love for Gendo, Asuka needed the constant approval of others, and be the "best", Misato was a functional alcoholic who just needed to be loved, Gendo was a Narcissist with problems letting go of his dead wife, and all of the secondary characters, save Pen-Pen were likewise fucked-up. 

Evangelion was Anno's way of dealing with his depressive and other issues, like Gainax nearly going tits-up, and the Rebuild is Evangelion on its meds.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*

Marten and the rest of the cast turn into Tang!

No.

Coffee.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I just remember trying (in the wake of... an unfortunate recent event) to explain Evangelion, and what I came up with was something like:

"Some kids pilot massive robots against aliens, except they all end up basically shell-shocked.  By the last few episodes, they're just staring off into space, and the villains just take over and give them all therapy.  The fans didn't like that ending, so they made two movies, the first being a broad retelling of most of the series, the second a more... external retelling of the last two episodes, where the therapy ends with the pilots strangling each other while everyone on Earth melts to this song that sounds like a mashup of 'Gloomy Sunday' and 'Hey Jude.'"
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage

Pancakes solve everything
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Smallest

• Curry sauce

To me, it's less of a "We need to talk about what happened last night, because I think there are mutual feelings of attraction" than it is a "I can't believe last night happened, I would not have done that if I were sober." Which is kind of sad to me, because I had hoped that Marten was sober enough to truly want to be with Claire (as opposed to his flirting being a drunk impulse).

(not just directed at you)

I read it more as no particular emotion (yet), just 'I am unable to process last night,' which could lead to 'ahhhh does claire like me do I like her' or 'shit why did I do that.'

reicreature

• Larger than most fish

Evangelion is one of the only anime series that I never got into even in the height of my otaku phase between 16-24.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

Evangelion is one of the only anime series that I never got into even in the height of my otaku phase between 16-24.
I need to watch it, but I can't find it.  It sounds very very interesting.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaalled it! Ain't gonna kiss the girl.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

Now this is the Marten we know and love.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Now this is the Marten we know
yep

and love
Not so sure about this in this context… :roll:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet

I'm not seeing this the way others seem to.  It all looks good to go to me.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

I'm not seeing this the way others seem to.  It all looks good to go to me.
You, me, and the power of Shipping, bro.

(don't worry, I call absolutely everybody that)

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Huh. Well. Don't know what we can glean other than that he's confused (true to form), and hungry. Maybe hung over. No clue what he thinks of the night before, because he hasn't thought those thoughts yet. He needs to shovel some pancakes into his mouth first... which I take as a sign that he's not going to have an immediate and overriding gut reaction one way or the other (unlike with him freaking out over Emily's peck on the cheek), but is actually going to have some serious thoughts about things. So I'm going to have to pick this quote out:

To me, it's less of a "We need to talk about what happened last night, because I think there are mutual feelings of attraction" than it is a "I can't believe last night happened, I would not have done that if I were sober."

and say "Why not both?" He really wouldn't have done that while sober. I also don't think he would have done it if those feelings weren't swirling around somewhere in his head already. Time for some breakfast monologue, possibly punctuated with Faye needling him. This could go in any direction, but since it seems he's taking it seriously, I've reason to be optimistic?
Mistakes, ahoy!

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within

Pro: he remembers and is taking his time to figure his feelings out.
Contra: ...well, it's obvious.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

Cajun

• Not quite a lurker
  • Pastor of Muppets

See, this is why I'm here like once a month.
This guitar solo is meant to evoke the unrelenting brutality of harvesting carrots.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

And yet your user name could be based on it!

But anyway, age is not a limiting factor for interest in Evangelion; I was nearly 50 before it was even made, and now I'm admin of a (modest) forum about it and writing a fanfic continuation of Q!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

Whoa, pw, you're older than my dad.  :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

I'm a great grandfather; but I'm not the oldest person on this forum.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

reicreature

• Larger than most fish

And yet your user name could be based on it!

I know! I shortened my name so it would be more gender ambiguous back in the early internet days and back then everyone would ask me if it was from Evangelion or Sailor Moon.

I keep meaning to get back into anime and manga... The last anime Series I bought was Exel Saga.
Also... I am very glad to know that there are people over 30 on the forums.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

I'm a great grandfather; but I'm not the oldest person on this forum.
how do you make your avatar change itself?  And did you upload each of those avatars individually?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,25662.msg992911.html#msg992911

The script given there has been modified to have a two-level lookup because of a bug in Apache when the list gets too large.  The Avatars are on on my own server, so I just drop them into the directory whenever and add them to the list in the driving file.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google

Or he can keep being mopey.  That's always an option.   :-P

Is there any other way to live ???

... NO RAVEN ???  :cry:

Pancakes solve everything
Well, not thirst, and they dont have boobs either.

Also, Waffles.
Carpe Diem

Barmymoo

• Mentat

They don't have boobs? What?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25   Go Up