THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 21:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

And now for something completely different: What happened to Mays hand?

Too much cake-mix
May got too excited with Pintsize
May had a nasty meet-up with Yelling Bird
SOMEONE had to clean up Dale's bed!
The obligatory reference to synthetic ham
MAY IS MELTING FROM ALL THE SQUEE
May found Marigolds stache of sexy dude pictures
butts

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2801-2805 (29th September - 3rd October) Weekly Comic Discussion Thread  (Read 220707 times)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Marten dithers better than Georges Seurat.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Pancakes are not the first thing I crave if I have a hangover, but then I am not Marten. I guess a pancake breakfast with Marten, Faye, and Pintsize will reveal a lot about Marten's feelings for this.

Time for Pintsize to do something useful for the very first time: Go make some pancakes!

reicreature

• Larger than most fish
This whole world's wild at heart and weird on top.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.

Oh thank goodness. I hope yesterday was just a fluke. With all the fascinating narrative balls in the air right now: Marten/Claire, Faye/Sven/Angus, Dora/Sven, I was so disappointed that we had a May strip yesterday. Despite all the wonderful characters and storylines in QC, I think May was a total misfire. I don't get the appeal of these QC meets Blade Runner storylines.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

May is an interesting character, and it will be fun to have her develop alongside the main cast.  Besides, she gives kind of a lighthearted break from everything - though Jephzibah, bless him, tends to put her in to break up super epic storylines like this one.  Which annoys me a tiny bit.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2014, 02:27 by Smashwidget »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

What the actual fuck, I had a dream about the next two strips - that Marten decided he didn't have feelings for Claire, but that he did for Emily.

#1, why the fuck am I dreaming about QC, #2, why the fuck am I dreaming THAT outcome? The pacing doesn't make sense, the format that I dreamed the strips were in isn't at all Jeph's format, and the ending doesn't make sense.

evilQuälgeist

• Furry furrier

Well at least let me asure you that you are not the only one to dream about QC ;)

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

yeah, you should be dreaming about Pokemon like a normal nerd  :-D

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB

I'm pretty sure the real outcome is Marten being assaulted in his hungover state by a wet slavering beast. As he's about to be overcome, Gabby slays the Demon of Humidity, and Marten swoons into her arms completing the intern intimacy trifecta.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé

Hang on, which wet slavering beast are we talking about? Claire or Emily?  :-D
What do you know about Pokémon?

T

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

The pacing doesn't make sense, the format that I dreamed the strips were in isn't at all Jeph's format, and the ending doesn't make sense.
Because Emily duh!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

But I don't even ship that! I do... whatever the opposite of shipping that is!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -

You could squeeze it into roughly six months. Which brings us, roughly, to strip 3000. I'm calling it now. :P

This has been noted. I also think you're right.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

May is an interesting character, and it will be fun to have her develop alongside the main cast.  Besides, she gives kind of a lighthearted break from everything - though Jephzibah, bless him, tends to put her in to break up super epic storylines like this one.  Which annoys me a tiny bit.

Her aptitude for creative cursing aside ("fuckbarn" is just a beautiful swear, somehow), I humbly disagree. I know the AI stuff is something Jeph wants to explore in the comic, but for me it just KILLS the momentum of what I'm actually interested in. Momo was one thing, but the May storylines are just heavy-handed as hell.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts

Her aptitude for creative cursing aside ("fuckbarn" is just a beautiful swear, somehow), I humbly disagree. I know the AI stuff is something Jeph wants to explore in the comic, but for me it just KILLS the momentum of what I'm actually interested in. Momo was one thing, but the May storylines are just heavy-handed as hell.
I disagree. May shows us some of the darker sides of AI in the QC universe. There is crime, jail, intelligent weaponry, advanced stealth technology, and AI's that might consider harming or exterminating humanity. Until now, we have only seen glimpses of this. Let us hope Jeph is not planning a war of extermination between humans and AI.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier

I disagree. May shows us some of the darker sides of AI in the QC universe. There is crime, jail, intelligent weaponry, advanced stealth technology, and AI's that might consider harming or exterminating humanity. Until now, we have only seen glimpses of this. Let us hope Jeph is not planning a war of extermination between humans and AI.

I guess it's not that I think the storytelling is poor; Jeph always has excellent narrative control and pacing (the latter provided you like your pacing glacial and deliberate). I think it's just an issue of taste in subject matter.

Veloso

• Not quite a lurker

I disagree. May shows us some of the darker sides of AI in the QC universe.
Yeah, but not really.  "Sociopathic AI" might be an interesting area to explore, but May has been positioned as a "sociopath with a heart of gold," which lowers the stakes and really doesn't make sense.

A new sympathetic character who constantly hurls insults, if that's indeed where this is going, is not breaking new ground in this strip.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

My take on it is that Jeph's approach to characterisation of all characters, human or AI, is "people are complex".
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

I disagree. May shows us some of the darker sides of AI in the QC universe.
Yeah, but not really.  "Sociopathic AI" might be an interesting area to explore, but May has been positioned as a "sociopath with a heart of gold," which lowers the stakes and really doesn't make sense.

A new sympathetic character who constantly hurls insults, if that's indeed where this is going, is not breaking new ground in this strip.
Why are you assuming sociopathy? She seems more like an attention-starved teen looking for a role model to me. Indeed she exhibits almost none of the three major indices of sociopathy and even the one she does have a little of (reduced empathy) is within "normal" bounds as far as we have seen.

Plus I've long since formed the suspicion that more AIs are seeded than actually leave the crèches and that exhibiting actual sociopathy is one of the reasons a growing seed might be disbarred from leaving. But that's induction rather than deduction so feel free to believe that the AI crèche is a wondrous digital paradise with the equivalent of lots of soft toys, walls you can write on, and an infinite supply of crayons in any colour you can conceive…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Dragonsreach

• Not quite a lurker

Ok I'm new here (but not on the planet) and while I'm not intending to be contentious but I really dislike the term Artificial Intelligence.
How can Intelligence be Artificial?
Bio or Electro-Mechanical Intelligence is Intelligence.

Oh and the Claire/Marten story arc.............yeah well kinda saw that one coming down the road a while ago, but analyzing Marten's actions/hesitation is just so much fun.
Is he hesitating because Claire's Trans and doesn't know how to proceed or because she's Trans and want to go carefully and not hurt her or is he just scared about another "Crash and Burn" possibility.

I'd like for him to grow a pair and step up for Claire. (But Hey I'm an old romantic!)  :claireface:

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer

It is a product of artifice; it is artificial.

Latter connotations of artificiality with fakery and falseness are best ignored since they originally referred specifically to emotional misrepresentation in humans.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

mmm... pancakes

We now have meme #3.

Waffles, Space Ham, Pancakes.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Ok I'm new here (but not on the planet) and while I'm not intending to be contentious but I really dislike the term Artificial Intelligence.
How can Intelligence be Artificial?
Bio or Electro-Mechanical Intelligence is Intelligence.

Oh and the Claire/Marten story arc.............yeah well kinda saw that one coming down the road a while ago, but analyzing Marten's actions/hesitation is just so much fun.
Is he hesitating because Claire's a coworker and doesn't know how to proceed or because she's got anxiety and want to go carefully and not hurt her or is he just scared about another "Crash and Burn" possibility.

I'd like for him to grow a pair and step up for Claire. (But Hey I'm an old romantic!)  :claireface:
Let's play spot the difference.
Mistakes, ahoy!

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving

Together, they make a breakfast that is out of this world :claireface:

On comic: I'd like to think that Marten is just trying to get himself into a position where he can figure out what happened between himself and Claire. His first approach will be Faye (being probably closest to her, both by proximity and emotional attachment). A shared breakfast might be in order.

Has it ever been established where Claire lives? I couldn't imagine Marten or Faye allowing her to travel unaccompanied at whatever hours of the night if she lived too far.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

bryntheskits

• Larger than most fish

Welcome aboard, I'll be thinking you'll enjoy your stay because we are sailing straight for canon aww yisss.
Hurp

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

I'd like for him to grow a pair and step up for Claire. (But Hey I'm an old romantic!)
Welcome aboard, I'll be thinking you'll enjoy your stay because we are sailing straight for canon aww yisss.

As much as I'd hate for it to turn out this way, it could be as much a growing experience for Marten to not be with Claire - the important thing thus far has been for him to figure out what he wants, whether it be in a relationship, his job or anything else.  Might be that being able to gently let her down rather than just go with the flow and see what happens is a better indicator of character.

Hats off to the storyteller, though - I've been entertained often enough, but I've never given a tinker's damn about webcomic character relationships before this.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I'd like for him to grow a pair and step up for Claire.

Let's find a less inappropriate way of expressing this, please?  There are reasons we don't like such genitally-based imagery here, for example:

Let's play spot the difference

I can see a possible acceptable meaning for this (referring back to a different part of the quote which I've not included), but unfortunately I can more easily see an absolutely forbidden one.  Don't go there again.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood

On comic: I'd like to think that Marten is just trying to get himself into a position where he can figure out what happened between himself and Claire. His first approach will be Faye (being probably closest to her, both by proximity and emotional attachment). A shared breakfast might be in order.

I have a hunch that he won't talk about this with anyone else. He will have to summon up the courage to talk to Claire herself this time. Unlike the wedding snuggle and Emily's "my hero" kiss, this is not unfathomable behaviour by the other party; Marten has to ask himself why HE instigated physical contact, and only he can answer that.

So he's either got to tell her that he's sober now and he'd like to carry on where they left off last night and be prepared for her reaction, whatever that may be, or else (less likely in my mind) admit it was all a drunken mistake and apologise.

Come to think of it, I wonder if we'll be treated to how Claire is reacting to all this. She's got a lot of stuff to process too...
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

RaineThing

• Plantmonster

I have a hunch that he won't talk about this with anyone else. He will have to summon up the courage to talk to Claire herself this time. Unlike the wedding snuggle and Emily's "my hero" kiss, this is not unfathomable behaviour by the other party; Marten has to ask himself why HE instigated physical contact, and only he can answer that.

So he's either got to tell her that he's sober now and he'd like to carry on where they left off last night and be prepared for her reaction, whatever that may be, or else (less likely in my mind) admit it was all a drunken mistake and apologise.

Come to think of it, I wonder if we'll be treated to how Claire is reacting to all this. She's got a lot of stuff to process too...
I'd love to see her reaction.
SO FLUFFY!

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

I'm not seeing this the way others seem to.  It all looks good to go to me.
You, me, and the power of Shipping, bro.

(don't worry, I call absolutely everybody that)

WonderShip Powers, Activate! Form of! Clairten!

Maire?

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Unlike the wedding snuggle and Emily's "my hero" kiss, this is not unfathomable behaviour by the other party; Marten has to ask himself why HE instigated physical contact, and only he can answer that.

I like that reasoning - it's got a good beat and I can dance to it.  Thanks!  :claireface:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun

I have not seen this many posters with fewer than 100 posts in nearly forever.

(Psst: if y'all haven't already, read the rules back atop the main forum. This is a no-shipping forum, despite what you may have been led to believe.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

eschaton

• Furry furrier

Or he can be a coward, and pretend he had a blackout if Claire asks him. 

Not that I consider that the most likely scenario, but if he's genuinely scared (for whatever reason) I could easily see Martin just being avoidant. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

[...] read the rules back atop the main forum. This is a no-shipping forum, despite what you may have been led to believe.)

Though "no shipping" doesn't prevent discussion of the immediate implications of what we've actually seen in the comic.  We're not that unreasonable!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Yeah, the rule is really about fan shipping. At this point we are absolutely in the realm of Jeph-shipping. :)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000

Oh, so now comes pages and pages of Marten figuring out his feelings.

Yeah. And then back to the Sven/Dora storyline, then back to Faye and Angus, then Dale and Marigold, a dash of Pintsize shenanigans, some cereal, a liberal helping of Yelling Bird, the return of Wil and Penelope, some Tai and Dora developments, then another Claire/Marten cliffhanger around Thanksgiving, with more indecision when the comic resumes, followed by another visit to the space station, a visit with Jimbo, May's parole violation, and then another Claire/Marten cliffhanger right before Christmas leading to more indecision in the New Year. :P
... NO RAVEN ???  :cry:

A dark-haired woman will show up in the background of a few strips, leading to speculation on the forum, but no Raven. Because Jeph.

mmm... pancakes

We now have meme #3.

Welcome to IHOP (Intergalactic House of Pancakes).

FURTHER SPECULATION: What if we've been looking at this all wrong, and all this time Jeph's biggest influence has been the Archie comics? That means another ten years (or more) of Marten going back and forth endlessly between Betty and Veronica Claire and Emily.

Question sparked by speculation: So who's Jughead? Pintsize? Steve?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl

Well who would it be with that crown?
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

MegaBarrakuda

• Not quite a lurker

Sidenote: Next time I have sex I need to try pancakes after session.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

You. You are the best.

I don't claim to be a God. I don't claim to be a king. Hell, I don't even claim to be a goddamned hero.

(click to show/hide)
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

You know what I miss? I miss Faye casually strolling in to announce, matter-of-factly, that something is on fire. I miss that.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog

You know what I miss? I miss Faye casually strolling in to announce, matter-of-factly, that something is on fire. I miss that.

"The pancakes are on fire."

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

There is no such thing. There are mutually exclusive sets.
Mind you both sets are partial subsets of "Appear Normal".
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Perhaps we could define an orthonormal basis set of nerds...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

DrClef

• Plantmonster

Why can we foresee Claire ships?

Because of the Claire buoyancy.  :claireface:

BOO! HISS! KICK THE BUM OUT!

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few

What is the dimension of nerdspace?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

What is the dimension of nerdspace?
It's a Hilbert space of infinite dimension.

Why can we foresee Claire ships?

Because of the Claire buoyancy.  :claireface:

BOO! HISS! KICK THE BUM OUT!
*dodges thrown shoos*  :claireface:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

*dodges thrown shoos*

Oh dear GOD that was awful.

Smashwidget

• Emoticontraindication

*dodges thrown shoos*

Oh dear GOD that was awful.
if by awful you mean PUNTASTIC :parrot:

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net

Honkytonk

• Plantmonster
  • I am a Duck

I'm kind of led to think this is the morning after and Marten's half-asleep, hungover, trying to process what happened the night before before he gets up, and failing miserably. The thought of needing breakfast before he can process anything is one I can understand. Except substitute 'pancakes' for 'coffee'.

I really hope we get some more Pintsize, much as I want to see Marten and Claire fretting over this as they're doubtless going to.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2014, 13:28 by Honkytonk »
Quack Quack.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Up